Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Made anAisling Larkin recipe for hot smoked salmon, prawn & ricotta tart. Not quite a quiche, much creamier. SO tasty. The pastry was very short and I needed to patch it up a fair bit but it was equally delish. Reheated well for lunch too!

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/shows/sixoclockshow/article/1.65.1323.1324/295523/Salmon-and-Prawn-Tart

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Donal Skehans One Pot Tomato and Bean Chowder

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Loire mentioned this in the General Chat thread and I decided to give it a bash. Wagamama Katsu Curry

https://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/a32297503/wagamama-katsu-curry-recipe/

Absolutely gorgeous, but the only criticism is that the sauce was slightly unbalanced. Bit heavy on the spice, and probably not sweet enough for the style. I’ll tweek it next time, but still lovely. Made the sauce the night before which was a good idea because it didn’t feel like I was taking ages to cook everything.

519249.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Loire mentioned this in the General Chat thread and I decided to give it a bash. Wagamama Katsu Curry

https://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/a32297503/wagamama-katsu-curry-recipe/

Absolutely gorgeous, but the only criticism is that the sauce was slightly unbalanced. Bit heavy on the spice, and probably not sweet enough for the style. I’ll tweek it next time, but still lovely. Made the sauce the night before which was a good idea because it didn’t feel like I was taking ages to cook everything.

[img][/img]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=519249&d=1594234478[/img{

What are you using to shape your rice?

The Nal wrote: »
    What are you using to shape your rice?

Just a random bowl that was in the cupboard.

I used a smaller one for the kids and their minds were blown! :D Couldn't get over the "tower of rice"

• Advertisement

Just a random bowl that was in the cupboard.

I used a smaller one for the kids and their minds were blown! :D Couldn't get over the "tower of rice"

Ha, yeah Ive used mugs, cups etc. Looks good above. Must go on a random bowl hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BaZ, is that basmati rice with a Japanese dish?:eek::eek::eek:

What next?
    Roija in Coq au Vin ??

BaZ, is that basmati rice with a Japanese dish?:eek::eek::eek:

What next?
    Roija in Coq au Vin ??

I know! For shame! :o:D

I couldn't get Japanese rice in the supermarket, but tbh, I have loads of Basmati. I tend to buy the big 5kg bags in Eurasia. So a lot of my dishes that are served with rice tend be "fusion"

I know! For shame! :o:D

I couldn't get Japanese rice in the supermarket, but tbh, I have loads of Basmati. I tend to buy the big 5kg bags in Eurasia. So a lot of my dishes that are served with rice tend be "fusion"

Ha, ha.
    We use Thai fragrant rice with almost everything.
    I do like the Japanese rice, too, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Speaking of using basmati in 'vaguely japanese dishes'... based (very) loosely on this. On the plus side, I have converted my other half to pickled ginger. When we started going out she didn't even like any ginger.

eudUpRM.jpg?2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Hot smoked salmon salad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Speaking of using basmati in 'vaguely japanese dishes'... based (very) loosely on this. On the plus side, I have converted my other half to pickled ginger. When we started going out she didn't even like any ginger.

Oh, I love the pickled ginger you get with sushi. It's a bit pricey to buy in the jars.

Did you make your own? And (you knew this was coming, didn't you) do you have a recipe?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh, I love the pickled ginger you get with sushi. It's a bit pricey to buy in the jars.

Did you make your own? And (you knew this was coming, didn't you) do you have a recipe?

Dead easy. Rice vinegar, salt and sugar. Leave in the fridge for 4 or 5 days.

The Nal wrote: »
    Dead easy. Rice vinegar, salt and sugar. Leave in the fridge for 4 or 5 days.

This for pickling anything.
    I boil up the vinegar, sugar and salt before pouring it over whatever I'm pickling.

Chillies is the most common thing for me to pickle but I've done ginger, radish, carrot, beetroot and probably other things.

This for pickling anything.
    I boil up the vinegar, sugar and salt before pouring it over whatever I'm pickling.

Chillies is the most common thing for me to pickle but I've done ginger, radish, carrot, beetroot and probably other things.

Radish/daikon pickled is insane in bao buns

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love pickled cucumber - I throw in sliced onions too.

I love pickled cucumber - I throw in sliced onions too.

Of course, cucumber, too.

Crispy Prawn Tacos and Loaded Papas Fritas from La Covina Cuevas

Delish although a little heavy with the coriander

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Steak Sandwich with mushrooms and homemade peppercorn sauce and skin on fries.

The ciabatta is an olive one got in Aldi park baked. I would have loved to make it myself but I didnt have the time to let the dough rest for so long so I'll he making a batch of ciabatta at the weekend.

Tonight's dinner was supposed to be a reasonably healthy broccoli and strips of steak stirfry with some boiled rice, but no. My gf decided to go to meet up with one of her friends who is getting married and won't be back until tomorrow. So I said **** it, I'm just doing steaks for myself. No reverse sear or sous vide, just plain pan fried and butter basted.

I ate too much.

tSMvHam.jpg?1
    3GWU0rd.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

Tonight's dinner was supposed to be a reasonably healthy broccoli and strips of steak stirfry with some boiled rice, but no. My gf decided to go to meet up with one of her friends who is getting married and won't be back until tomorrow. So I said **** it, I'm just doing steaks for myself. No reverse sear or sous vide, just plain pan fried and butter basted.

I ate too much.

Oh man, my OH would love that. I cannot cook steak like that to suit him at all. I always overcook it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I ate too much.

OMG those steaks look like restaurant quality - how did you cook them like that? Look so juicy...drool

Results may vary, but all I did was pat the steaks dry, then season them with garlic powder / onion salt / pepper on both sides. Get the pan has hot as I could. Then add a small bit of oil (rapeseed, I think it was) and skooch it around a bit. Steaks in, about two minutes on one side, then add a good knob or two of butter and some garlic cloves and rosemary sprig. Turn the steak over, wait til the butter melts and is foaming, baste the steaks with the butter. Two minutes on that side, then flip again, 30 seconds, flip one last time 30 seconds, basting all the while. Take them out, brush them with a little of the melted butter (or just pour it over) let them rest for about five minutes.

Then mash them into your face. It helps that the steaks are good and thick - that way you don't really have to worry about overcooking the center.

And now the actual stir fry. Bit too salty, if I'm honest. Preferred the steak, oddly enough.

RpoQcJS.jpg

I bought a Weber BBQ today.. burgers and sausages from the local butcher and they tasted delicious off it!

and yes I forgot to take pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

conor_ie wrote: »
    I bought a Weber BBQ today.. burgers and sausages from the local butcher and they tasted delicious off it!

and yes I forgot to take pics!
    Which Weber?

Thargor wrote: »
    Which Weber?

Master Touch C-5750

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Thai "Crying tiger" beef steak with Nam Jim Jaew, (Thai Chili Dipping Sauce). Picture isn't pretty, but it was damn tasty.

520419.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had a fakeaway tonight :)
    Slow roasted pork ribs with barbecue sauce and wings with soy, honey, garlic & sesame.

20200719-183350.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

You had chips too Dizzy! Never forget to mention the chips.:D

I've had some great dinners lately that I haven't mentioned here, but today was so refreshing and unplanned. I was preparing a nice piece of beef in the oven for a classic roast dinner until I said feck it. I kept the beef going as I started it at 11am. Low and slow and then simple sandwiches wrapped up and away to the mountains.

Dinner was warm roast beef sandwiches with crisps, tea, milk and 7-Up on top of the Slieve Bloom Mountains. A shop bought Apple Pie for dessert.

Advertisement