Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Creamy mushroom and bacon pasta. Deliciously unhealthy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Aha Dave... I have been meaning to make this for a while. Creamy mushroom and bacon (and/or chicken) is also good with rice, and can be nudged in different directions with herbs, etc.

I have sherry vinegar and Marsala wine on my shopping list, which might be good with this. Tarragon is a divisive herb, but I would definitely pair it with this too. 👌

Yeah in retrospect, I should have done rice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Chicken Biryani.

Picture doesn't do it justice but it went down a storm!

Tried it before but not as hands on as above video. Things like Aloo Bukhara(dried plums) which he insists on using. I didn't use the 6 green whole chilis or the amount of child powder as in recipe (Not hard enough😫) but I'll be making it again for sure. Lovely warming Indian dish. Full of whole spices.....I followed it to the T, bar the chilis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Ate like kings tonight...

Starters: seafood croustillant & crab claws

Mains: John Dory & Monkfish

Dessert: Ice-cream... because that's all we could handle after the other courses!

Oh and no, I did not cook any of this :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ What a treat, they all look fantastic!

We tried Turkish Flatbreads with Mince, Herbs and Spice tonight for the first time. It was wolfed down so will be going on the regular list. I also added pomegranates because we had some here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/turkish_flatbread_with_70825

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Prawn risotto with a fillet of pan fried cod.

Twas amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Strip loin Steaks with Creamy Mash, Sweetcorn, Garlic Mushrooms, Caramelised Onions and Salad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

It's getting colder, and I'm craving warming comfort food. Here's the bean stew/goulash with mash we had on Saturday

Pork, cabbage and mushroom noodles. Could have done with some nuts, but still, not bad at all.

Did wings and weird brocolli there a week or so ago as well. Mic's chilli sauce worked very well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had sausages, chips and a fried egg tonight. Hit the spot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Spicy stir-fried noodles and fried eggs. It's simple, quick, moderately healthy due to the amount of veg I throw in, and very, very tasty

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roast chicken - and before the gravy gang ask, no I didn't have any gravy 😂

A roast without gravy is a criiiiiime!

We had a spicy chilli con carne, made with chunks of beef rather than mince, and black beans. Very nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had pan fried pork chops, apple sauce, roasted carrots, steamed broccoli and crushed roast potatoes with gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

I'm not so sure. I love gravy and it was an essential with roast growing up to give some flavor with over cooked dried out meat and veg boiled till it was mush . With a nice well cooked and seasoned piece of meat and veg I like to taste them.

Certain foods it's an essential! Bangers and mash with onion gravy is a favorite winter dinner.

Rigatoni with sausage, onion and garlic - and a ton of cheddar and parmesan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bit a duck......

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Leg of lamb in the rotisserie. Best leg I’ve cooked

• Advertisement

Lamb here also!

Loin of lamb, marinated in whiskey and marmalade with a whiskey / marmalade sauce.

Delicious, but I should have reduced the sauce a lot more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I like the star anise touch on top! Looks delicious. I have never cooked duck; can I just pan fry the breast like chicken? Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

You're missing out! Takes a bit longer than chicken. Score the fat in a criss/cross fashion. Put in on a cold pan fat side down on to a medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes till starts fat is rendered of and nicely browned. Will depend on your hob how long it takes. Pour of the fat don't throw it out save it for roasting potatoes. Flip over and into oven for 5 minutes at 180 for nice rare pink duck 10 if you like it cooked through.

Score fat, cold pan.

its not like chicken, much easier to balls up.

If you have one, a sous vide makes cooking duck (and goose) almost foolproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've posted this several time, at this stage. As far as I am concerned, this is the only way to cook duck breasts (I don't have a sous vide system).

Too late for this time but someone a few years ago gave me this tip for cooking duck breast and I haven't cooked it any other way since. It is a bit more work but the result is super, super tender meat. I've posted it here before but here goes again:

Put your breast skin side down (skin slashed a few times with a sharp knife) in a cold, dry pan over a medium heat.

After a few minutes, the fat will start to render out. Start to spoon the hot fat over the breast, keeping an eye on your heat so that the skin doesn't burn. For a medium rare breast, continue to do this for about 15 minutes.

Let your breast rest for 5 or 10 minutes (although this cooking method is so gentle that resting is almost unnecessary). Slice and serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

one of the best dishes I have seen here and I don't even like lamb that much but I can appreciate it none the less. wow - hats off to you

me no likey gravy either.. so your not alone there.. prob had too many meals ruined with it while dining out when younger "would you like dinner with your gravy?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Suckler

Same. Lumpy gravy as a child has put me off the stuff for life. I find a lot of English people I've met would eat cardboard as long as it was swimming in gravy.

Gravy made from the juices of a roast is amazing though.

• Advertisement

yeah I like a little of the really good stuff myself.. made with the juices of the roast meat.. but I HATE when your dining out and your dinner comes swimming in gravy... grr... by all means leave a jog of it on the table and let customers pour themselves if they wish

Advertisement