Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

😀So the pcp came through :) so car ordered, from stock in Dublin.

What apps do I need on my phone?

will the same wall mounted or tethered home charger do the leaf and the ID3?

Any other thoughts?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks, I'll call him on the phone later and see what he says, don't like phone calls, prefer to have records of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

will the same wall mounted or tethered home charger do the leaf and the ID3?

Depends on the type of cable on the charge point. Is it for a <2017 Leaf (i.e. Type 1 cable) or is it the new Gen leaf with a type 2 plug?

If its the type 1 it wont fit the ID.3 (or any new EV).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Tks KC as always, no its Type 2, 2017

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭fits

Mine has started buzzing this morning and wouldn’t stop. Couldn’t turn on radio or anything. I’ve left it alone to see if it will sort itself out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,003 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Might be the bluetooth connection to your phone? Mine makes a kind of crackling noise through the speakers, like when you'd pull a headphone cable out

Took a while to figure out but it seems to be when the phone connects to audio over bluetooth

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

It might be related alright as messages came up saying CarPlay was disconnected. It was more of a tone than a buzz though. Apparently it went off after a few minutes.

So car was offline all week. Husband had updated his phone to iOS 14.8 a few days ago. I just did mine this morning. And immediately after car came back online and app is working again.

When I called the dealer yesterday to ask for the salesman I was told he'd call back, he didn't, I emailed him this morning with this info and copied the pic and so far heard nothing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RingSting

ID3 & 4 are VWs fist all electric platform,

Its not beyond the realms of possibility that they could mess it up,

Thats why I am waiting for the MK2 .

• Advertisement

There are gremlins and teething problems alright but its much the same for any new model ICE car too.

And its not like VW are new to EV's... they produced the eGolf years ago and it was also a very capable BEV so they have the expertise long before they produced any ID cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dealer got back to me today and all he could tell me in the email is that it left the factory on the 9th and it's current location is unknown by the dealer or system.

Final assembly was the 29th June

Left Factory 9th September

He says VW had told him it was due on the boat for the 15th and he can't get any more information and not just for my car so it's not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Mad Lad - your dealer is clueless.

that said, finding out it’s exact whereabouts is not going to make it arrive any faster. Obviously it’s stuck in semi conductors hell. But if he was more forthcoming (or if he knew how to find the info) it could help a lot in terms of deciding to stick with it or cancel. There is a ship every ~10 days or so now… so it could be on the next one…

I don't fancy picking up a brand new "6 month" old car at the end of 2021, it's ridiculous with absolutely no communication from VW.

The car is supposed to be fully built and left the factory on the 9th.

So here's the info from the email I just read it again.

Final assemply 29/6

Checkpoint 8 Hand Over to Sales 31/8

Exit Production Plant 2/9

It's strange that he was told it would be on the last ship and never was. I'm not really impressed with VW, chip shortage or not. They're delivering cars randomly and People getting cars earlier than those who ordered before them.

I fI cancel and re-order it could be June next year before I get it.

Ah.

So that means your car is still at the factory. It says “exit production plant” but in reality it’s actually still in a compound somewhere around the factory, likely waiting on semi conductor(s) to complete the build. The next step in the process is “arrival at port of shipment” (Emden) and yours isn’t there yet.

This is why your dealer is telling you he doesn’t know. Normally once a car exits production it’s dispatched to the port within days. But at the moment, some cars are sitting stuck at that point for an unknown indefinite time.

I would be reasonably confident though that it’ll get dispatched to port within the next week or two. It’s already been sitting for 2 weeks (exited production plant on September 2nd).

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭handpref

You may have to decide on a plan that reduces the stress of the situation.

You can change how you think about the purchase of the id3 or you can choose to pull the pin and cancel it.

Putting up your dealer info here for people to say when and where the car should be isn’t going to make it arrive any quicker and only adds to the uncertainty of the situation. Unless they work specifically for VW and are in the right section to view the data it’s hear say and speculation.

If its 6 months old it’s still new, how many new cars sit in dealers showrooms for months on end or stored out in NVD (pre covid) for months and months in the hope someone would buy it.

If you cancel the order you will more than likely be back to a 6 month delay- on top of that may be 0.8% price increase for 2022 vw’s (my dealer advised on this increase which is why I paid the deposit to lock in the price).

Will your % on pcp be affected by a cancellation ?

If you went for say an Ioniq 5 you may also have to wait for delivery, covid has messed up almost every supply chain in the world.

Theres no doubt this is a pain in the hole and one that I too may be lining myself up for. However you’ve still got a nice car under you, the trade in price is secure and apart from that hopefully life is going well.

Its disappointing when a major brand retailer can’t get the basics right, I left my i3 in for the convenience charger recall to a main dealer and it came back with no number plate on the rear and an empty Rex tank. You really would wonder how they manage to keep going but they do.

Fingers crossed we see a surprise pic of it here over the next month or two and that we can get a good review of its winter range- keep the faith -

And I’m not sure if same grants will be available for EVs. It’s a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,003 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah unless you got one from stock I don't think you'll get another car any sooner unfortunately

It's weird that it didn't make the ship but the same thing has happened to me and a few others, car seems to be sitting at Emden port for weeks with no explanation

My only guess is that VW share the boat with other car brands who might be paying more, so VW cars get bumped to the bottom of the list

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

Have been on a break the last four days, mainly in the north (East coast). Didn't do huge mileage up there, but still clocked up 1K. The car was a pleasure, leaving home with 80% and topping up at City North Ionity up and down. Drove her a bit harder than normal, indicating 130 a good bit where could. But also a lot of economical driving, 80 or less on Mourne runs. Not once did I feel an EV was any disadvantage, all the ECars charge points up there seemed to be operational, used the one at Warrenpoint which was convenient when eating nearby. Total for holiday showed 15.2kWh/100km which was happy with considering a good bit of motorways.

Handy the way the camera shows the speed signs in MPH, and tells you when you are crossing the border, which I did a few times in one day (Staying at Carlingford). Also warned me of speed camera zones verbally, which have never received in the south. All my enhanced road sign recognition symbols were also showing, they have stopped down here since the second part of 2.3 update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Are you sure? From my experience it won't reach the "handover to sales" stage unless the semiconductor stage is complete and its done and dusted.

Mine stayed at "final production" while it was awaiting semiconductor as far as I know.

Yes I’m certain. My own car went through it last month. “Exited production” in early August but wasn’t dispatched to Emden until 1st week in September. It was waiting on semi conductors.

Hopefully, but that still means another month to wait by the time it arrives at the dealer. it's shocking really.

Yes, I'd loose the 0% interest so that's something else to think about.

Yeah the i3 is a great car but I guess I'm just very keen to test out the driver aids such as travel assist, more so now that the traffic on the N7 is back to an appauling state.

Not only that but I'd loose the 0% interest offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

In case this is useful to someone in the future; the sensor seems to have been struck by something like a stray stone, which damaged it (there is a small knick taken out of it), hence the warning to "clean" the sensors as it seems to think there is dirt on there. The dealer is sourcing a replacement sensor. Still not yet clear what "manoeuvre braking" means though - perhaps related to how the brakes come on if it senses you are too close to an object when parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Was told my car is Due in Feb 22, was thinking of buying the VW home charge point now just to have it so that I can have it for whenever the electrician is free. Is there any disadvantage to buying it now and having it in the box for a few months ? New models, or is it a glorified plug and there is not much than could/will change ?

You may not qualify for the home charger grant.

I'm fairly sure its ok to buy the charge point in advance. The key thing is not to commence any works until you get grant approval.... i.e. the date the electrician installs it.

• Advertisement

Isn’t the offer only valid for 6 months ? A feb delivery is 5-6 months away. If it’s held up it’s after the 6 months. So can’t claim it.

Advertisement