Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Will it become self-policing?? Which in a way it was already as contact tracing so bad. Just hope enough will be vaccinated to protect the majority. DS never complained really about the masks but now after having a summer outdoors & mostly free of them he already saying he dreads having to wear them all day in class again would love if they go soon too in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Has any proper information come out about pregnant staff returning in September? Surely vaccinated or not the threat of placenta damage and stillbirths will let them work remotely/out of the class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I’m just looking for opinions here, do people think school will return in September?

I really want schools to be open but I suspect they won’t. It going to be devastating for the children I’d they don’t.

With the increase in children testing positive currently and the fact that some fully vaccinated people are testing positive, also schools are not being equipped with any ventilation measures to increase safety.

I want my kids in school, I don’t want them learning at home. It’s a disaster for their social development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Personally, I think that there would need to be a significant deterioration in the Covid situation from where we are currently for Schools not to open in late-August/September.

Most Secondary students will have had at least one dose by then and maybe some 12 year olds in 6th Class.

The DoE have yet to finalise their plans in terms of ventilation etc so will see what is planned there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timfy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Their “plan” is more or less finalized . It consists of telling schools to leave windows open and wear jackets when winter comes along with sending out some CO2 monitors . Not sure what good the monitors are really . If the levels rise too high and windows and doors are already open what then .......

That’s the HSE job . They tried to push it back on schools towards the end o flats year when they were “overwhelmed “ though . But it’s their job.

are you sure about not having to restrict movements etc by the way

I know that’s the case in the UK but not sure it is here

• Advertisement

From the HSE website

"If you are a close contact and you have received a Covid-19 vaccine

You do not need to restrict your movements or be tested for COVID-19 if it is more than:

• 7 days after your 2nd Pfizer-BioNTech dose
    • 14 days after your 2nd Moderna dose
    • 14 days after the Janssen vaccine
    • 15 days after your 2nd AstraZeneca dose"

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Also involves every Pregnant teacher and Very High risk teacher/SNA being sent back in (even if they can't get a vaccination). Pregnant women can't even get the vaccination depending on where they are in their pregnancy. I'm in a large group of VHR including many immunosuppressed. Everyone has been recategorised to normal or high risk regardless of immunosuppression bar one person. And one was asked to verify they had their second vaccination before they were even due to get it.... No appeals have been successful yet.

I'm really hoping that there's decent uptake in second level for vaccinations and I have been very safe this year but controlling my risk isn't possible in school. I don't want to become one of the breakthrough infections.

It really bugs me that the DES, Unions etc are all working from home (badly in many cases-impossible to contact payroll for example) but for the VHR? Ummmmm we can't get subs so back you go

That’s great to know thanks . That will minimize disruption too for many people .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Unless you are displaying symptoms of course and then you must isolate and get tested.

Yes, I should have said that - asymptomatic people who have been vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

IMO Schools will open as planned. Unless there is a significant change with covid schools will open and rightly so. There is no reason to close them. By the time September comes along the majority of vaccine eligible adults will be fully vaccinated, then you will have a % of students above the age of 12 also vaccinated. I dont think we will see schools close again.

• Advertisement

I do hope so.,,

Yeah, I agree. Schools won't close unless there is a major deterioration in the Covid situation in Ireland. Or we have a situation where we get a new variant for which the available Vaccines don't work or where kids are more vulnerable. Which hopefully won't happen. But based on the current situation, I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

No chance schools not reopening in September. It would take a large increase in deaths and 10,000 cases a day to keep schools shut. The link between serious illness and death seems to be broken.....for now. Could all change with the arrival of a super variant.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dr_Zeus

I strongly think that secondary schools should not reopen until all 12-15 year olds have had both vaccines.

Delta is dangerous and 1 dose is not enough to offer protection.

Delay secondary schools by 2 weeks or so. Not a big issue is the greater scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

0.25 admissions per 100k would mean 3 child admissions to hospital with covid here in Ireland. You want to delay reopening all schools for that?

• Advertisement

the bigger issue with the reopening of schools is that pregnant women are being sent back into classrooms whether they are vaccinated or not, the department have also directed GP's to not sign pregnant women off on pregnancy related sick leave in order to get them back in hell or highwater. Of course they have readjusted the risk categories all around, medmark have also told people suffering with cancer to return to work within the classrooms (ive heard of one terminal case who was classed as high risk and is expected back)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Surely a person terminally ill with cancer has grounds for medical leave anyway?

Is the department of education telling doctors what to do?

Week it turns out the vast majority of close contacts will have to restrict movements after all because

“However, if you develop symptoms of COVID-19 or you are a close contact of a variant of concern, you need to self-isolateand get tested for COVID-19.”

Delta is a variant of concern. Most cases are now Delta. It’s all so needlessly confusing

Lots of disruption ahead after all :(

Where did you read that the Dept have directed GP's to not sign off pregnancy related sick leave.

Post edited by Icyseanfitz on

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

Ontario projecting a 70% covid attack rate in schools this fall.

Anyone else expecting a big Delta outbreak in unvaccinated primary schools in 2 weeks time?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Hoping that secondary schools due to continued hight vaccination uptake by 12 - 18 year old can have a positive effect on less transmission in schools.

I think the challenge will be with primary level though. I can see things getting bad there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,164 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've read that and can only find a guy claiming stuff on Twitter.

Is there a link in there to Ontario Dept of Health/Education making the 70% statement that I've missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 natural_immunity

How do they know it's the Delta or any other variant if there is no test for it? I want to tell my friend who has a school age child about this but I don't want to spread disinformation and fake news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If one has a model saying things one generally links to that model. This does look very made up and others do challenge the claims in that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Scotland have had an 80 % increase in cases, 1 week after schools opened

Shows what's on the way here?

Schools just started to go back on monday. The delta variant must be incredibly serious if it can ramp up cases in anticipation of more contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Hello everybody, Some of you may remember me back earlier this year when I was in the midst of the Leaving Certificate. It certainly was a stressful time for me and other LC students, but I'm happy to announce I pulled through the tasks and am now comfortably enjoying the "longer" summer break with school behind me.

As for my exams, they all went well. I was happy with the efforts put into them, on top of the class tests we did and my projects. I came out of each exam with a sense of relief anyway. I'm mainly just glad it's over.

Now we await for the results on September 3rd. I pray I get my course, but I was lucky enough to get DARE in June.

I'd like to thank all the people that helped and supported me, liked my rants and expressive thoughts on issues I found with COVID inside school, or issues with online work due to lockdowns. Thank you all for the support! 😁💜

-TTLF

great to hear, hope you get the results and course that you want :)

Just after hearing that covid sick leave is no longer a thing in schools, it's reverting to regular sick leave. Which means people with covid symptoms are just going to go to work in classrooms as opposed to paying for a sick cert and using limited sick leave. Madness.

Enhanced illness benefit for Covid 19 is still in place for all workers in all sectors

That’s 100% not the case

Its exactly the same as last year. In fact there is even an extension on the max 28day if required .

There was a circular released last week with all the information for teachers /SNAs

https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0042-2021.pdf

having reread the circular I believe you guys are right, I was going on what my union members and colleagues where telling me but having read that it seems fairly clear cut the special leave is still in place for covid testing/isolation.

• Advertisement

Haven't been really on here in a few weeks.

Has anything changed in relation to Covid measures in Schools since last Academic year ?

Both of our Kids (12-15) got their 1st dose of Pfizer this week with both schools (Primary and Secondary) opening next week.

Hi all, hope everyone is feeling Ok with the impending return of schools.

We got emails from both schools outlining rules around covid. Mask wearing, when to stay home etc. Seems the same as last year.

Locally there isn't much talk of cases or indeed any sort of breakout. Most of my kids friends have been vaccinated and mine have had their first shot.

I really want this school year to run well. I hope parents do whats right and keep their kids home when sick and get them tested.

Doing ok about the return this time around as opposed to previous times since this Pandemic started.

Both Husband and I fully vaccinated and both Kids have 1 dose each which is the best that we could have hoped for in the circumstances.

No word from either school yet - 1 Primary, 1 Secondary. Both reopen next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m very worried. Four year old twins. One is starting primary and the other is 50:50 mainstream and special preschools. He has a condition and some of his classmates would be very vulnerable so he didn’t have access to a full timetable for over four months past year. I hope that doesn’t happen again and I don’t want him to get covid either.

I do hope it goes well for you. (For everyone really too but it’s harder when they are younger and gave additional needs I think)

Thank you. Yeah it’s a nervy start to school year for a lot of us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Two heading to the younger end primary today, and one to ECCE next week.Fully expect ECCE child to catch everything going this year due to the sheltered life he has lived the last 18 months.I am less worried about covid, than many of the other things he could pick up, especially following a trip to the hospital with croup 2 months ago.

The 2 in school, what can I do?They need to be educated.All I can do is the same I have been doing for 2 years now.Cross my fingers and hope for the best.There's risk no matter what I do, there always has been, and they must be educated, so our family has to just get on with it.

My boy in preschool has had a few episodes of croup also. Frightening stuff. And we couldn’t go to hospital without covid tests unless he was really bad. Husband had to take him outside in cold air to get it to settle. I wonder if he’d be more susceptible to covid if airways get inflamed like that. I don’t know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes my girls have had it Fits, but this was a whole other level.He was badly struggling to breathe, so we brought him straight in and they were ok with it, gave him steroids.First time. He also seems a little more susceptible to chesty coughs and I am worried because his immune system has had very little to do really for the last year.Not worried about covid tbh, it's the other respiratory stuff that is more likely and has given us a few frights that I am concerned about.

Where are all the ‘close the schools ‘ crowd this year?. Or “I can’t go to get my hair cut but they say schools are safe. “. They’re gone very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

RSV is soaring in schools in the UK and the US. Case numbers are significantly above where things normally are this time of year.

It's not covid but it is another thing to add into the mix with the risk of hospitals been put under pressure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement