Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I've been given commemorative coins as a change at shops several times, I have plenty of them at home.
    According to wikipedia, commemorative coins can be normally used as currency with their face value, unless they are made with more precious metals (so they are collectible), which is not the case of this coin.
    Anyway, this is OT, sorry.

Anything is collectable, thanks for missing my point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Efficacy of Portable Air Cleaners and Masking for Reducing Indoor Exposure to Simulated Exhaled SARS-CoV-2 Aerosols — United States, 2021

A simulated infected meeting participant who was exhaling aerosols was placed in a room with two simulated uninfected participants and a simulated uninfected speaker. Using two HEPA air cleaners close to the aerosol source reduced the aerosol exposure of the uninfected participants and speaker by up to 65%. A combination of HEPA air cleaners and universal masking reduced exposure by up to 90%.

The face masks used on the headforms were three-ply cotton cloth face masks with ear loops (Defender, HanesBrands Inc.). Experiments were conducted either with all simulators unmasked or all simulators masked (universal masking).

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7027e1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

NSW not messing around when it comes to masking, with approx 50 mask fines being issued daily in the past week, not to mention that all HCW's must now don P2/N95 as a precaution.

Screen-Shot-2021-07-02-at-19-14-23.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

When can we expect to see an end to mandatory mask wearing?

1. Registered Users Posts: 27,885 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Gael23 wrote: »
      When can we expect to see an end to mandatory mask wearing?

Nothing's going to happen with it until every adult who wants to be fully vaccinated is done.
      Then it'll come down to case count and what variants of concern there are.
      Israel lifted their indoor mask mandates and then restored them cos of the delta variant.
      They might be with us in shops and public transport until next spring.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

2. Advertisement
    3. Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭VG31

odyssey06 wrote: »
      Nothing's going to happen with it until every adult who wants to be fully vaccinated is done.
      Israel lifted their indoor mask mandates and then restored them cos of the delta variant.

What's going to change next spring?

4. Registered Users Posts: 27,885 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

VG31 wrote: »
      What's going to change next spring?

We'll be through the typical season for respiratory viruses, and we hopefully will have enough people vaccinated & boosted and no breakthrough variants will have emerged... to be at herd immunity.

5. Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Acosta

What's with kids not having to wear masks in shops? I was just in a centra where there was 5 other adults plus 3 staff working all wearing masks. There was 9 unsupervised maskless kids running around the place running into people. I know they're not obliged to wear them, I just don't get the logic behind it.

6. Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭VG31

We'll be through the typical season for respiratory viruses, and we hopefully will have enough people vaccinated & boosted and no breakthrough variants will have emerged... to be at herd immunity.

Everyone here who wants a vaccine should be fully vaccinated by the end of September. There's no evidence to suggest that boosters are needed any time soon. Other European countries have started phasing out masks or have removed them completely (Iceland). They will be probably be no longer mandatory in the UK soon.

Waiting until next spring just seems pointless to me. By September or October we should be removing masks and social distancing rules. We do seem to be making a habit of being the last in Europe lately though...

7. Registered Users Posts: 27,885 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

VG31 wrote: »
      Everyone here who wants a vaccine should be fully vaccinated by the end of September. There's no evidence to suggest that boosters are needed any time soon. Other European countries have started phasing out masks or have removed them completely (Iceland). They will be probably be no longer mandatory in the UK soon.

Waiting until next spring just seems pointless to me. By September or October we should be removing masks and social distancing rules. We do seem to be making a habit of being the last in Europe lately though...

Yes, well when we are out of line with our EU peers - whether that's in slow adoption of masks, or travel certs - it raises doubts for me.

I mentioned those as the two 'stage gates' I could see mask mandates being reviewed.

It's a fluid situation and a lot will depend on the state of play with cases, variants, vaccines, hospitalisations and the response of other countries at those stage gates.

8. Advertisement
    9. Registered Users Posts: 27,885 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Acosta wrote: »
      What's with kids not having to wear masks in shops? I was just in a centra where there was 5 other adults plus 3 staff working all wearing masks. There was 9 unsupervised maskless kids running around the place running into people. I know they're not obliged to wear them, I just don't get the logic behind it.

It's not about logic, we can justabout get adults to follow the rules and your post contains the clue 'unsupervised'. Expecting parents to supervise their children in public these days to the extent that a shop isn't a playground is a thought crime.

If a kid can tie their shoe laces they can wear a mask.
      If they are younger than that their parents should have them under supervision.
      Or not bring them.

10. Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

What's vaccinations like in third world countries? This pandemic isn't over until everyone gets a vaccine, not just in Ireland or Europe but everywhere. Covid is too contagious and it gets around very easily. The problem is new variants and whether vaccines will work on the new variant. I think this is something alot of people are forgetting. It will come back to us again.

11. Registered Users Posts: 27,885 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What's vaccinations like in third world countries? This pandemic isn't over until everyone gets a vaccine, not just in Ireland or Europe but everywhere. Covid is too contagious and it gets around very easily. The problem is new variants and whether vaccines will work on the new variant. I think this is something alot of people are forgetting. It will come back to us again.

I think it still has to get traction, I don't think the COVAX deliveries really rolled out yet and I expect a lot of vaccine reluctance unfortunately. The posters on the main vaccines thread would have a better idea, I don't want to de-rail this thread although it is an interesting point.

12. Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Perhaps undertake a Risk-Assessment before you enter the premises ?

If you've enough time to head-count 17 other humans in a Centra,then perhaps you've enough time to decide to take your business elsewhere ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

13. Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

AlekSmart wrote: »

If you've enough time to head-count 17 other humans in a Centra,then perhaps you've enough time to decide to take your business elsewhere ?

That is such bad advice, we're still meant to use our common sense here and going from shop to shop probably isn't the best thing to be doing.

14. Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

What's with kids not having to wear masks in shops? I know they're not obliged to wear them, I just don't get the logic behind it.

The logic given behind kids(children under 13) not having to wear masks in the community(shops) was that it would be a choking hazard. see post #3297

Considering 1-3 year olds do 50% of the choking, 3-6 year olds do 25-35% and 6-9 year olds do the majority of the remaining choking, I would not be surprised if 9-13 year olds who are pretty much at similar odds with adults regrading choking are requested to mask up in shops in the future.

Bear in mind, choking content is 50+% of the time foodstuffs with batteries and small objects, toys, crayons, marker caps etc making up the rest.

More chance of a child getting admitted to A&E for posioning/consuming alcohol hand gel than choking on a mask.

The EAG had been torn down the middle regarding masks for months at this point, IMO they just shelved mask weaing for children under 13 so that they could get the adults over the line.

15. Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://twitter.com/jpmc25/status/1411441958543888385?s=21

Funny how the press are only showing him outside Semple with his face mask on greeting people.

16. Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Acosta

I was already queuing at the point all the kids came in, which is why I had to time to observe and do a headcount smart arse.

17. Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

There will always be variants of concern. a) because there will always be variants and b) someone in Ireland will be concerned about them.

18. Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There will always be variants of concern. a) because there will always be variants and b) someone in Ireland will be concerned about them.

Not exactly true. They start out as variants of interest. It's only when they look like trouble that they get upgraded.

19. Advertisement
    20. Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

https://twitter.com/jpmc25/status/1411441958543888385?s=21

Funny how the press are only showing him outside Semple with his face mask on greeting people.

Because nobody cares anymore, including our "leaders". If you think he doesn't take off that mask the minute he's off camera at the press briefings then you'd be wrong.

As for the post above complaining about young kids not masked in shops - if you're that worried, stay home and order your groceries online.

We really have to stop indulging those who are spending more time bothering themselves about what others aren't doing, and complaining that they don't feel the same concern, and get on with it, especially with the vaccination progress and those most elderly and most at risk almost entirely vaccinated at this point.

By all means, people should mask up if they feel better or safer by doing so, but that's about it.

21. Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The UK have said that masks will be down to personal choice from July 19th, knowing the idiots we have running the country into the ground we should get that option around paddys day.

22. Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It's hard to make risk assessment, you never know how many assholes you'll meet at the time you decide to do shopping. Some peeps don't even see those yellow stickers (hard to miss imo ) on the floor. And some peeps still don't understand they should cover not only mouth, but nose as well. Hard to make any risk assessments..

23. Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
      Because nobody cares anymore, including our "leaders". If you think he doesn't take off that mask the minute he's off camera at the press briefings then you'd be wrong.

As for the post above complaining about young kids not masked in shops - if you're that worried, stay home and order your groceries online.

We really have to stop indulging those who are spending more time bothering themselves about what others aren't doing, and complaining that they don't feel the same concern, and get on with it, especially with the vaccination progress and those most elderly and most at risk almost entirely vaccinated at this point.

By all means, people should mask up if they feel better or safer by doing so, but that's about it.

And we are back to this again..

24. Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

xhomelezz wrote: »
      And we are back to this again..

Because it's true. We were never going to be able to mandate the behaviour of an entire country in response to a disease that, as it turns out, is of little risk to the vast majority of people living here.

This is even more so with the progress of the vaccination programme.

I know the current situation has been like mana from heaven for those same people who spent their time in the Tiger days watching the neighbours getting new decking and BMWs, and who in the Recession times bothered themselves with what those neighbours were getting (or getting away with) that they weren't, but I'm afraid the public mood has turned with regards Covid as more information has emerged, and the decisions and pronouncements from NPHET and others here that doesn't line up with what anyone can see for themselves is happening elsewhere.

It's time to move on and join the now majority of people who are.

25. Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Because it's true. We were never going to be able to mandate the behaviour of an entire country in response to a disease that, as it turns out, is of little risk to the vast majority of people living here.

This is even more so with the progress of the vaccination programme.

I know the current situation has been like mana from heaven for those same people who spent their time in the Tiger days watching the neighbours getting new decking and BMWs, and who in the Recession times bothered themselves with what those neighbours were getting (or getting away with) that they weren't, but I'm afraid the public mood has turned with regards Covid as more information has emerged, and the decisions and pronouncements from NPHET and others here that doesn't line up with what anyone can see for themselves is happening elsewhere.

To be honest, I have no idea what are you talking about.

26. Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

xhomelezz wrote: »
      To be honest, I have no idea what are you talking about.

It's very simple... the same people texting radio stations and posting on social media complaining about people not following restrictions or not taking it as seriously as they do, are the same people who in the Good and Bad times were more concerned about what their neighbours had or were getting away with that they didn't/weren't (Leo even tried to capitalise on it with his "Welfare cheats cheat us all" campaign)

Begrudgery, envy and curtain-twitching is the unofficial national sport, but such people are always best ignored.

Hope that helps clarify for you.

27. Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Because nobody cares anymore.

Which is it? Nobody cares or the now majority?

Words matter.

BTW still waiting for you to answer this post #4282

Little reminder below.
      That reminds me. Did they formally sign the extension into law in the end?

Last I read it technically has expired

28. Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Seanergy wrote: »
      Which is it? Nobody cares or the now majority?

Words matter.

BTW still waiting for you to answer this post #4282

Little reminder below.

*sigh* if we're resorting to being pedantic now well then I'm not sure I can help much, but sure..

- No-one cares what NPHET are advising hence why the majority of people are moving on - look around you and you should see that for yourself.

- The other one you're so fixated on (but I'm touched you care so much!) was a question to the floor for input.

Of course you knew all the above already I'm sure but you mustn't have much of an argument though if it's this nonsense you're resorting to.

29. Advertisement
    30. Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

The good news is if you're unhappy with what's happening you can move to the UK because they're relaxing restrictions on the 19th of July.

Advertisement