Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

  • #2
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 53,956 admin Beasty


    Welcome to Part 2 of the Masks discussion.

    Please remember to stay civil - there are two sides to this debate and just because someone disagrees with you does not make that other person or indeed you a troll. However being uncivil to others is likely to result in threadbans, cards or indeed forum bans.

    Threadbans carry over
    Current list of threadbanned:
    GT89 lifted 10/09/20
    Tickers
    paddygreen
    Hannibal36
    GazzaL
    polesheep
    na1
    drunkmonkey
    Exmachina1000
    Risteard89
    CinemaGuy45
    Caraibh
    Lex Luthor
    Diabhalta
    Pitch n Putt
    sabat
    NovemberWren
    Gortanna

    Please drop one of us a PM if you think your name should not be on this list, or indeed should be. Regardless of the list if you've had a threadban that has not been specifically lifted you can expect a forum ban (as can anyone breaching a threadban)

    Original thread here.


«134567151

Comments

  • #2


    Untitled-design-451.png

    Had tears rolling down my face when I first saw this :pac:


  • #2


    You can always wear a bag instead


  • #2


    obligatory yellow star post...

    (technically should be black triangle with blöd on it though, for anyone intending to mis-use an exclusion reason imo)


  • #2


    Yes I'll wear one in shops etc but only as they're mandatory. Left up to me I wouldn't bother.

    I wear one at work all the time, 12 hours, tested regularly so I honestly get a bit tired of having to swear them in shops but will continue:)


  • #2


    Thanks so much, vast majority of fellow citizens.

    To people with underlying conditions who may have poor outcomes from covid, it means a great deal to be able to move around in public and be less at risk because of the actions of everyone around them. You're protecting yourselves from adverse effects of the virus too, but plenty choose not to bother themselves or want to make some sort of stand. Moreover, if you're not putting yourselves at risk of infection you'll be less of a risk to everyone else generally. So nice one for being selfless enough to go to the trouble of buying and wearing the mask.

    Anti-maskers have the luxury of choice that they do in Ireland because enforcement doesn't seem to be a priority. Possibly, to the mind of the various groups responsible for ensuring compliance, implementing mandatory mask wearing would cause more grief than it's worth. But consider the immediacy of a hostile confrontation with a member of the public against the slow burning impact of whatever cases of covid could be prevented by the maskless person exercising due care not to spread the virus.

    A more staunch, cohesive and less tolerant domestic approach to face coverings would clearly have benefit in curbing transmission at this point, as the cases are starting to increase. This message really needs to come from the highest ranks of government and the public should be informed that that this isn't up for debate, access to publically frequented spaces is curtailed when you pose a threat to public health there by not masking up. If you refuse to comply, you can either go away or you can plough on anyway and be detained and fined.

    It's easier now more than ever to spot the people who think it'll never affect them; whole groups in society can't conceive of how the potential negative outcomes from contracting covid are worth inconveniencing themselves for. Unfortunately I can envisage tabloids publishing tales of woe of former mask opponents, who live in regret of their misguided decision to engage in some adolescent act of defiance.

    To me, it's just tragic that some actual adults on this island don't have the empathy to consider the perspective of another; I know that for some, it takes that short, sharp shock of actual grief or a moral fear to jolt a person into reality and enable them to see things in life or death terms, the way many people do every day.

    I can't give a deadline on when we'll stop wearing them but suffice to say it won't be forever. Let's all make it to whenever that is with only minor grievances! Sorry about the long post, thanks if you read it and nice one again for wearing a mask to those who do. I hope maybe reading it from the perspective of somebody who stands to lose a lot might change somebody's mind about their position on masks.

    If I haven't changed your mind


  • #2


    Had a laugh in a shop yesterday. A two year old kept trying to pull the mask off his mothers face, and generally being intolerant. The mother was calmly trying to explain to the chap that everyone needed to were a mask. Eventually she turned around and pointed to a man a said - look, everyone is wearing a mask. The man she happened to point at was the first person I have seen not wearing a mask in a shop in at least a week. He looked like he wanted the ground to swallow him up.

    I also saw 3 boys, probably about 18, walking towards a shop entrance today. One of them took out his mask, and asked the others where their masks were. When they said they had none, he told them to wait outside as he wasn’t going in with them if the were not wearing masks, to which they meekly complied


  • #2


    You see a lot of people wearing their mask over their mouth but leaving their nose exposed. But I saw a guy in the supermarket last month wearing an unfolded paper mask just across his nose, leaving his mouth completely uncovered. He had a big, red fat jowley head, with this thin blue band across the middle. It was like some kind of face-thong. Gave me a good laugh anyway.


  • #2


    Are staff in hotels and restaurants required to wear masks?


  • #2


    Common sense says yes of course,

    No one has a problem with wearing a seat belt when 99% of the time you don't need it ,
    For god sake people have no problem wearing a swimming hat when they go to a swimming pool

    Just pop the mask thing on when you on a bus ,Trian , shop or where its asked no big deal at all,
    If it works fantastic if they don't at least you tried to be a decent human ,


  • #2


    In my local town it seems that the whole Covid 19 and the necessity to wear masks doesn't apply to people. I went into a shop to pay for fuel, myself and 2 other people were wearing masks. Two men serving had masks on but were on their head. Two other people working in the deli had no masks and 4 other people in the shop had no masks on. The level of people's stupidity and ignorance never fails to amaze me.


  • #2


    Common sense says yes of course,

    No one has a problem with wearing a seat belt when 99% of the time you don't need it ,
    For god sake people have no problem wearing a swimming hat when they go to a swimming pool

    Just pop the mask thing on when you on a bus ,Trian , shop or where its asked no big deal at all,
    If it works fantastic if they don't at least you tried to be a decent human ,

    This is what’s completely wrong with masks and the categorising of somebody who doesn’t wear a mask as some sort of lower human

    Mask should be a choice and not a means to judge people.

    If you want to wear a mask wear it but don’t judge others.

    The pro mask high and mighty brigade will be along to proclaim the end of society if you don’t wear a mask or face covering and that your selfish and yada yada yada etc.


  • #2


    This is what’s completely wrong with masks and the categorising of somebody who doesn’t wear a mask as some sort of lower human

    Mask should be a choice and not a means to judge people.

    If you want to wear a mask wear it but don’t judge others.

    The pro mask high and mighty brigade will be along to proclaim the end of society if you don’t wear a mask or face covering and that your selfish and yada yada yada etc.

    Its human nature to judge other on there actions ,
    If you refuse to wear a mask just because then iv every right to hold my own personally opinion of you ,


  • #2


    This is what’s completely wrong with masks and the categorising of somebody who doesn’t wear a mask as some sort of lower human
    Mask should be a choice and not a means to judge people.
    If you want to wear a mask wear it but don’t judge others.

    Why should they be a choice?
    We don't allow smoking in public places or drink driving to be a personal choice.
    Masks fall into the same category as they relate to a measure to protect others i.e. on public health grounds in public places.
    We're not mandating masks to protect the wearer.


  • #2


    odyssey06 wrote: »
    Why should they be a choice?
    We don't allow smoking in public places or drink driving to be a personal choice.
    Masks fall into the same category as they relate to a measure to protect others i.e. on public health grounds in public places.
    We're not mandating masks to protect the wearer.
    We're mandating masks to allow a lot more people to move around, what the claimed reason is doesn't matter. COVID doesn't care and it's still spreading!


  • #2


    is_that_so wrote: »
    We're mandating masks to allow a lot more people to move around, what the claimed reason is doesn't matter. COVID doesn't care and it's still spreading!

    As noted earlier on the thread, there are possible indications that masks reduce viral load so reduce the severity of the cases, and may mean more asymptomatic cases.


  • #2


    s1ippy wrote: »
    Thanks so much, vast majority of fellow citizens.

    To people with underlying conditions who may have poor outcomes from covid, it means a great deal to be able to move around in public and be less at risk because of the actions of everyone around them. You're protecting yourselves from adverse effects of the virus too, but plenty choose not to bother themselves or want to make some sort of stand. Moreover, if you're not putting yourselves at risk of infection you'll be less of a risk to everyone else generally. So nice one for being selfless enough to go to the trouble of buying and wearing the mask.

    Anti-maskers have the luxury of choice that they do in Ireland because enforcement doesn't seem to be a priority. Possibly, to the mind of the various groups responsible for ensuring compliance, implementing mandatory mask wearing would cause more grief than it's worth. But consider the immediacy of a hostile confrontation with a member of the public against the slow burning impact of whatever cases of covid could be prevented by the maskless person exercising due care not to spread the virus.

    A more staunch, cohesive and less tolerant domestic approach to face coverings would clearly have benefit in curbing transmission at this point, as the cases are starting to increase. This message really needs to come from the highest ranks of government and the public should be informed that that this isn't up for debate, access to publically frequented spaces is curtailed when you pose a threat to public health there by not masking up. If you refuse to comply, you can either go away or you can plough on anyway and be detained and fined.

    It's easier now more than ever to spot the people who think it'll never affect them; whole groups in society can't conceive of how the potential negative outcomes from contracting covid are worth inconveniencing themselves for. Unfortunately I can envisage tabloids publishing tales of woe of former mask opponents, who live in regret of their misguided decision to engage in some adolescent act of defiance.

    To me, it's just tragic that some actual adults on this island don't have the empathy to consider the perspective of another; I know that for some, it takes that short, sharp shock of actual grief or a moral fear to jolt a person into reality and enable them to see things in life or death terms, the way many people do every day.

    I can't give a deadline on when we'll stop wearing them but suffice to say it won't be forever. Let's all make it to whenever that is with only minor grievances! Sorry about the long post, thanks if you read it and nice one again for wearing a mask to those who do. I hope maybe reading it from the perspective of somebody who stands to lose a lot might change somebody's mind about their position on masks.

    [/YouTube]

    So you believe there's a deadly virus running free that poses an immediate threat to your life and you're walking around in public? And that those poxy masks are sufficient to protect you? That doesn't really tally does it? Why aren't you wearing a hazmat suit or staying indoors in a plastic bubble? I know you think your post is some "voice of reason" plea for the common good, but it's not. You're a cowardly little fascist getting a buzz from being part of the mob vilifying dissenters. This is your real message:
    ...more staunch... less tolerant... . from the highest ranks of government... this isn't up for debate, access to publically frequented spaces is curtailed when you pose a threat to public health.... If you refuse to comply, you can either go away or...be detained and fined.

    This is just the same 'theatre of fear' nonsense as making 80 year old Irish pensioners take off their shoes in airports. I know I'll get a ban for this post, but enough is enough. This has been bollocks for at least four months now. Where were the masks in April, May and June? Go ahead and call me names or question my intelligence-remember the 80% of Americans who believed Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9/11? That's who you mask fascists are. Programmed credulous suckers.


  • #2


    odyssey06 wrote: »
    As noted earlier on the thread, there are possible indications that masks reduce viral load so reduce the severity of the cases, and may mean more asymptomatic cases.
    Possible is not proof and households is where it's spreading, not all due to people being asymptomatic.


  • #2


    sabat wrote: »
    I know I'll get a ban for this post, but enough is enough. This has been bollocks for at least four months now. Where were the masks in April, May and June? Go ahead and call me names or question my intelligence-remember the 80% of Americans who believed Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9/11? That's who you mask fascists are. Programmed credulous suckers.

    Mod: Not going to ban you for having an opinion (and a dissenting opinion at that), but tone down the angry rhetoric please. You can make your point without spitting fire.


  • #2


    Mr E wrote: »
    You can make your point without spitting fire.

    And saliva, hopefully.


  • #2


    is_that_so wrote: »
    Possible is not proof and households is where it's spreading, not all due to people being asymptomatic.

    That's why I used the word possible.
    We're picking up a lot of asymptomatic cases.

    I don't know what you mean re: households and spreading in this particular context.
    We can contact trace households.
    Masks are about limiting community transmission to keep the clusters confined to those households and their contacts.


  • #2


    I see the point raised of where were the masks earlier on in this and I can remember agreeing with the reasoning that they should be left for the health care sector but it has galled a bit to have the who/govt say they're not any help to the general public initially then when seemingly all else failed, they change tact and make them mandatory in certain settings.

    It gave me a sense of we haven't a clue what we're doing but we'll struggle on and the public will never realise.


  • #2


    is_that_so wrote: »
    We're mandating masks to allow a lot more people to move around, what the claimed reason is doesn't matter. COVID doesn't care and it's still spreading!

    So has the common flu spread every year but people didn’t turn into some fear induced panic ridden race.


  • #2


    I'm wearing a mask everywhere, uncomfortable for long periods but if it helps so be it


  • #2


    I see the point raised of where were the masks earlier on in this and I can remember agreeing with the reasoning that they should be left for the health care sector but it has galled a bit to have the who/govt say they're not any help to the general public initially then when seemingly all else failed, they change tact and make them mandatory in certain settings.
    It gave me a sense of we haven't a clue what we're doing but we'll struggle on and the public will never realise.

    That was when we didn't have enough masks and they were being considered from the perspective of PPE to protect an uninfected person encountering an infected person. And most masks are not to the standard as PPE that they will do that reliably.

    Now the perspective is on wearing them as a barrier to contain the droplets of an infected person. The standard for such masks to contain the droplets is lower, that's why it's now advice for the general public re: masks and coverings.

    I do think our authorities here were very slow to come around on masks and perhaps they haven't explained very well that shift from PPE to barrier.

    But I'm not sure what you'd have preferred, to stick with what was said in spring even as they see new data and new comparison examples from other countries?
    Would you really expect the authorities in spring to have all the answers to a virus they only saw for the first time in 2020?


  • #2


    So has the common flu spread every year but people didn’t turn into some fear induced panic ridden race.

    Just the flu bro? Go back to February 2020 when that was a position worthy of any serious consideration.
    Your nonsense about panic hidden race will be ignored as a rant.


  • #2



    It gave me a sense of we haven't a clue what we're doing but we'll struggle on and the public will never realise.

    Humankind really don't know what we're doing yet

    No one has a clue about the long term effects of this virus.

    And the effectiveness of any mitigation measure, when applied in any particular culture, need to be worked out through trial and error. This is of course informed by scientific study, but it's the road test that gives the real world results.


  • #2


    So has the common flu spread every year but people didn’t turn into some fear induced panic ridden race.

    Absolute nonsense argument ,

    How many people died of the Flu in Ireland in 2019 ….less than 30
    Over a thousand have died of Covid in 6 months ,

    Don't forget there have been extreme measure in place for them 6 months to try and stop the spread if they where not there the number would be hugely higher,

    Comparing it to the Flu shows a serve lack of intelligence


  • #2


    odyssey06 wrote: »
    That's why I used the word possible.
    We're picking up a lot of asymptomatic cases.

    I don't know what you mean re: households and spreading in this particular context.
    We can contact trace households.
    Masks are about limiting community transmission to keep the clusters confined to those households and their contacts.
    Nah, it's primarily to allow people out and about. The limiting in our case was done by the other far more important and effective measures aided by testing and isolating. If they were really limiting transmission we would see that reflected in the numbers.


  • #2


    So has the common flu spread every year but people didn’t turn into some fear induced panic ridden race.
    There are vaccines for flu' which mitigate the number of deaths. This is completely new and nobody knew how they were going to react to it. Our views of it have changed in the 7 months since it arrived.


  • #2


    This is what’s completely wrong with masks and the categorising of somebody who doesn’t wear a mask as some sort of lower human

    Mask should be a choice and not a means to judge people.

    Of course people are going to be judged.

    If someone goes running around the M50 because they think road-safety is a government conspiracy, you're probably going to think 'what a pillock'.

    If the traffic-dodger then tells you they watched a Youtube video and read a Facebook post saying traffic was mostly harmless, you're likely to think 'what a really big pillock'.


Sign In or Register to comment.