Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Someone posted in the Delta variant thread that her son caught covid, the Delta variant and he was outdoors.

So I'm worried about outdoor transmission now.

Why does everyone think it is black/white situation?

It’s a sliding scale of risk.
    Indoors is more risky due to close proximity and less air dispersion.
    The time limits aren’t set in stone either, they are to try to reduce time spent in proximity to others. It doesn’t mean you can’t get infected in 14 mins but 16 mins will automatically mean infected.

But that doesn’t mean that you can catch it by bad luck when outdoors.
    Walking past a asymptomatic person who happens to cough 3-4 seconds before you walk though their cloud of droplets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Not allowed that mask brace gadget or ear savers or extenders in work. I'll see if I can get the mask policy next week.

Not sure I'd agree that the fixthemask brace is a gadget. Would you consider the eraser ontop of the pencil to be a gadget?

I made the DIY version that they promote and I have to say I found the experience to be boom. Breathing in a mask when you manage to get a tight seal to your face is next level breathing. Non of us are near it, most people have never experienced it.

This morning, I ripped the core out of some exhausted P2 masks that I was using during the week, they are my new braces for SMs. Added a little colour for my own jazz and fresh elastics for maximum seal. Maybe people should have their own frames, to suit the shape of their face. not sure I will be using the ear loops or nose brace that came with the SM, will test out during the week.

Please do look over the mask policy at work.

stripcore.png

sm-strip.png

Also made some pouches out of NWPP, using a heat sealer on the edges = no stitch holes smile.png

IW-SLeeve.png

hurley.png

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

...and, about outdoor masking - in addition to the really good points made by @Tenger above:

While getting infected outdoors is much less likely than getting infected indoors, of course it can happen - see the outdoor mass gatherings, without masks or distancing, in India that preceded the last spike.

When someone says he/she was infected while being outdoors, it also makes sense to consider the 'human factor' - being able to tell reliably if and where you were indoors with other people 10 days ago. With 'indoors' meaning being in a car with a vaccinated person (who can, of course, still transmit), for example.

For people who have symptomatic Covid, the time when they are most infectious is from 2 days before symptoms start, till 1 day after symptoms start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Tenger wrote: »
    Why does everyone think it is black/white situation?

It’s a sliding scale of risk.
    Indoors is more risky due to close proximity and less air dispersion.
    The time limits aren’t set in stone either, they are to try to reduce time spent in proximity to others. It doesn’t mean you can’t get infected in 14 mins but 16 mins will automatically mean infected.

But that doesn’t mean that you can catch it by bad luck when outdoors.
    Walking past a asymptomatic person who happens to cough 3-4 seconds before you walk though their cloud of droplets.

There hasn't been one documented case of casual outdoor transmission - none.

Check out this video, the mental illness of these people is staggering

What do people think of wearing masks outdoors? I know the advice is mask outdoors in crowded areas.

I avoid huge crowds anyways. But with Delta variant more transmissible what about outdoors in less crowded areas?

https://www.mentalhealthireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

How would you document such a case? Tricky thing to prove, no? For a documented study, you'd have to follow someone everywhere for a couple of weeks and ensure they interacted with no one indoors, right? It is universally acknowledged that outdoor transmission is lower, so you'd need several people in this trial.. If you were running the field experiment - how would you do it conclusively?

It's wearing a piece of cloth on your face, which has a tiny chance of preventing you getting sick. Expected benefit? Very small. Inconvenience? Minimal. Mental illness? Hardly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

That a brave claim, "not one documented case" across the entire globe in 15 months!!!!

Did you miss the entire breakdown of the outdoors event in the USA last year when Trump had nominated a new Supreme Court Judge. The media had maps showing where each person who was infected had been seated. Trump himself was admitted to hospital 3-4 days later.

I see he is also offering 20% on his FAUCI THE CLOWN SHIRTS....Not selling so well? Who's the clown now?

This lad is filling his pockets off yee, quoting NY's Fleccas is dangerous.

Outdoor transmission accounts for approx .1% of cases here in the Relublic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

So you are basically repeating bs from the YouTube video, not one documented outdoor transmission. And after that you say participants in the video are mentally ill. After being questioned by the guy who is not able to wear any mask, because of the size of his beard. Well I hope you have some t-shirts for sale and you'll do better business than him.

Not questioning your ability to recognise mental illness :D

Seanergy wrote: »
    I see he is also offering 20% on his FAUCI THE CLOWN SHIRTS....Not selling so well? Who's the clown now?

This lad is filling his pockets off yee, quoting NY's Fleccas is dangerous.

Outdoor transmission accounts for approx .1% of cases here in the Relublic of Ireland.

casual outdoor transmission - none.

yeah Fleccas is dangerous, having different opinions, so dangerous...

• Advertisement

Who is Fleccas anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Who is Fleccas anyway?

The latest grifter of the month.

Buy his t-shirts now.

They'll be left in storage/dump by next month when a new flavour of the month comes up.

Was suspicious, but thought Hector knows him better, so he could give a bit more background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

masked up outdoors whilst fully vaccinated - yes mentally ill.

Being worried about the new delta variant isn't a mental illness. If it's more transmissible it can probably spread more easily in large groups outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Being scared of an entirely new global pandemic is human. Being overly cautious out of fear it also human. Nothing to do with mental illness.

If there was any validity to your argument, it would mean all the anti-maskers would be mentally ill, because they also don't understand how and where masks work and what they do.

When a person wears a mask outdoors, no harm is done to anyone. When the anti maskers refuse to wear masks indoors, they are actively doing harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Whereas, taking umbrage at what someone else is wearing to make themselves feel safer...

pjohnson wrote: »
    The latest grifter of the month.

Buy his t-shirts now.

They'll be left in storage/dump by next month when a new flavour of the month comes up.

Yes exactly, he has dubious politicial opinions on other things so he is totally off the mark here aswell.

Points totally negated.

Being scared of an entirely new global pandemic is human. Being overly cautious out of fear it also human. Nothing to do with mental illness.

If there was any validity to your argument, it would mean all the anti-maskers would be mentally ill, because they also don't understand how and where masks work and what they do.

When a person wears a mask outdoors, no harm is done to anyone. When the anti maskers refuse to wear masks indoors, they are actively doing harm.

They really aren't.

I think you should look into wearing a motorcycle helmet walking down the street, I mean you never know, a flowepot could fall from a balcony and hit you on the head, or some randomer could just start chucking rocks at your head.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They really aren't.

Did you miss the last year and a half where it's been quite clear to anyone that masks are worn for the purpose of reducing the mask wearer from infecting others, not to protect the mask wearer themselves.

Someone not wearing a mask indoors, doesn't know if they are infectious so they are potentially causing harm to the other people around them. It's really quite simple.

robinph wrote: »
    Did you miss the last year and a half where it's been quite clear to anyone that masks are worn for the purpose of reducing the mask wearer from infecting others, not to protect the mask wearer themselves.

Someone not wearing a mask indoors, doesn't know if they are infectious so they are potentially causing harm to the other people around them. It's really quite simple.

It's simple but some people do not understand. Or care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Yes exactly, he has dubious politicial opinions on other things so he is totally off the mark here aswell.

Points totally negated.

Everything else he says is bull... But this time he's right...makes sense

Going around outdoors interviewing people with masks. I'd like to see an element of risk for this guy, go indoors and ask people without masks are they vaccinated. I bet he doesn't have the same size testicles as his fat belly.

Italians have released commemorative €2 coin to say “Grazie” to its doctors and nurses during the pandemic.

Screen-Shot-2021-07-01-at-11-19-22.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Italians have released commemorative €2 coin to say “Grazie” to its doctors and nurses during the pandemic.

That's actually lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Screen-Shot-2021-07-01-at-11-19-22.png

WOW, a 2 euro coin, face value 2 euro, sold at 10 euro, amazing. Italians are always good at ripping others, aren't they :D

WOW, a 2 euro coin, face value 2 euro, sold at 10 euro, amazing. Italians are always good at ripping others, aren't they :D

LOL, 10 euro's already...sure? I think someone was trying to coin you.

Clearly you know very little about commemorative coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

They really aren't.

I think you should look into wearing a motorcycle helmet walking down the street, I mean you never know, a flowepot could fall from a balcony and hit you on the head, or some randomer could just start chucking rocks at your head.

Good lad, you seem to know more than the vast majoity of the scientific community. Their opinion based on years of training, expertise and experimentation...yours based on some bizzare flower pot falling on someones head.

Luckily your opinion counts for frig-all.

LOL, 10 euro's already...sure? I think someone was trying to coin you.

Clearly you know very little about commemorative coins.

It's a 2 euro coin, with a face value of 2 euro, just like other hundreds of commemorative euro coins that are currently used to shop. Whether it is commemorative or not, its value is 2 euro.

https://www.shop.ipzs.it/2021-2euro-professioni-sanitarie48-2ms10-21f004.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

It's a 2 euro coin, with a face value of 2 euro, just like other hundreds of commemorative euro coins that are currently used to shop. Whether it is commemorative or not, its value is 2 euro.

https://www.shop.ipzs.it/2021-2euro-professioni-sanitarie48-2ms10-21f004.html

Well no.
    It's value like anything is what someone will pay for it.
    If you buy it now, it may increase in value over time, it also may not. Nobody uses commemorative coins as currency.
    Its like say comic books, you buy one for say 5 euro, the cover price will always be 5 euro, but if it is a special issue then the resale value will be whatever someone will pay for.

• Advertisement

EyesClosed wrote: »
    Well no.
    It's value like anything is what someone will pay for it.
    If you buy it now, it may increase in value over time, it also may not. Nobody uses commemorative coins as currency.
    Its like say comic books, you buy one for say 5 euro, the cover price will always be 5 euro, but if it is a special issue then the resale value will be whatever someone will pay for.

I've been given commemorative coins as a change at shops several times, I have plenty of them at home.
    According to wikipedia, commemorative coins can be normally used as currency with their face value, unless they are made with more precious metals (so they are collectible), which is not the case of this coin.
    Anyway, this is OT, sorry.

Advertisement