Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when do you get to skip the queue

Options
  • 03-07-2021 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

so a geebag skipped me while i was in a queue the other day.

breezes right past me on the basis that there was a problem with an item she'd paid for (sorry i have to keep it vague).

i let it go, the teller served her as he recognized there was some unusual circumstance going on, but still, what is the logic behind this?

when do you get to skip a queue?

personally i tend towards 'never'.

you need a pen, or need a stamp, or want to ask, or forgot to. thats great. nothing to do with me, get in line. where do some people get the balls.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

In a previous job I would regularly get people March to the top of the queue to complain to the manager (me) and I would ask them to join the queue and my colleagues would help them when their turn came.

I never understood why people think that just because they’re angry about something (not all complaints were our fault) they should get to skip the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

You know when you're queuing in Lidl, and you've been waiting and waiting and then they open another till and the people behind you jump over to that new counter. That's one of those little things which really p!sses me off for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Oh to answer the question. Old men and women. Like who clearly have just a few years left. I reckon they can get away with skipping pretty much any queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

When you're an alcoholic and it's 9:59 pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Some people are just self entitled. I worked with the public in my younger days. i couldnt do it now. Id end up punching some self entitled prick.
    Its the same driving. these kind of people just park anywhere dont give a **** about anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

TP_CM wrote: »
    You know when you're queuing in Lidl, and you've been waiting and waiting and then they open another till and the people behind you jump over to that new counter. That's one of those little things which really p!sses me off for some reason.

All humanitarian rules are void in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

They moved quicker. Be faster

People in supermarkets have really come to expect to be able to push on if they have a basket and you’ve a trolley. I had to tell the one on the checkout in Super Valu the other day that I was leaving the whole thing on the belt if she didn’t send someone back behind me. Entitled pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

People in supermarkets have really come to expect to be able to push on if they have a basket and you’ve a trolley. I had to tell the one on the checkout in Super Valu the other day that I was leaving the whole thing on the belt if she didn’t send someone back behind me. Entitled pricks.

Perhaps the one with the basket is a frontline worker after working a 24 hour shift and there you are with all the time in the world with first world problems giving out about it.

• Advertisement

Fils wrote: »
    Perhaps the one with the basket is a frontline worker after working a 24 hour shift and there you are with all the time in the world with first world problems giving out about it.

And perhaps they’re not. Even if they asked like people used to then I’d consider it but telling me I don’t mind as they walk past me means they can go and fist themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If your friend is in the queue you can legitimately jump the queue to that point, apparently!

Obviously, I'm talking about when the two people proceed separately to the checkout and aren't shopping together, as such.

(people genuinely think this is OK, and seem genuinely puzzled when pulled up on this - but, my friend was in the queue!)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

You snooze you lose when another checkout is opened, its not skipping the Q.

What gets me is when clowns Q up in say McDonald's in a single line and when they get to the top of the Q they go to one of the tills open.

There should be a Q for each open till so don't give me a filthy look when I walk up to a till, not your stupid single file Q.

You snooze you lose when another checkout is opened, its not skipping the Q.

What gets me is when clowns Q up in say McDonald's in a single line and when they get to the top of the Q they go to one of the tills open.

There should be a Q for each open till so don't give me a filthy look when I walk up to a till, not your stupid single file Q.

That’s definitely skipping and a staff member should tell you to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

IME when you hear the announcement 'we're opening till x for you', you're best to just stay where you are anyway, as the staff member usually doesn't actually materialize to open the till for a another 2 minutes.

But if another one does open up quick and I'm at the back of the queue I'm not waiting to let the ones in front of me go in front of me again. It's a new queue IMO you're rights from the other queue don't carry over.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

When I'm driving a BMW, Audi or Merc I'll not be having any of this talk of having to wait in line with peasants..... The right or left only lane ah will ya stop....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Speaking of queues, annoys me when I see staff in supermarkets in queues.

Surely they can pay later, or somewhere out of sight.

That’s definitely skipping and a staff member should tell you to go back.

No it's not - q at each till not a stupid single file Q for the next avaliable till. Never see it in other countries and thankfully its not that common here but where it happens....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Fils wrote: »

Or they're just a prick.

Too hard to police paying later although when i worked in a supermarket years ago there was a till out of sight (only if you were say buying your lunch not a weekly shop).

Meant you didn't spend half your break in a Q too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Then be danger of theft. They can't ring up their own items for example at a till they're on for this reason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had a woman not too long ago, come in to a local shop, and came in the way you'd normally go out and so she was at the till area where the crisps and bars etc are.

Grand a bag of popcorn, looks at me and says I'm just getting this okay, do you mind if go ahead of you?
    Middle aged, nothing visibly wrong with her beyond a sense of self entitlement.

I told her I did mind, and she could get in the queue, that was at that stage short and I'd already waited in. I was buying one item, shed have been as quick just queuing in the first place.

As a rule, I tend to let elderly people ahead. Or if I do have a trolley, I'll let someone with a handful of items ahead. Not a basket though, as sometimes some f*cker does that and has their partner rockup with another 20 things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Too hard to police paying later although when i worked in a supermarket years ago there was a till out of sight (only if you were say buying your lunch not a weekly shop).

Meant you didn't spend half your break in a Q too.

Out of Sight would be perfect.

Anyway....not the biggest of worries to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ha this exact thing happened to me today, we were in line with me in front when a staff member told us to move to the free line she was going to open.

I had only a few things in a hand basket but she horsed past me to the other one with her trolley filled to the brim.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When you ride a bicycle, you skip queues all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

little ole ladies and elderly gentlemen I let skip all the time. Also people desperately trying to turn in or out of their driveways on busy roads - feel sorry for them. Anyone obviously handicapped. Including young people on crutches but not junkie types. Also smelly piss drenched roaring drunks - they might get by - I don’t to get the smell off them & they’ll just get a pass out card from the courts if they stab you in a rage so why get a lifelong injury or scar.

No it's not - q at each till not a stupid single file Q for the next avaliable till. Never see it in other countries and thankfully its not that common here but where it happens....

It’s very common in Britain. That single line is the queue for all the tills.

They should probably formalise it with some kind of barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

It’s very common in Britain. That single dime q is the queue for all the tills.

Has the UK rejoined the USA?
    Dime q’s????

See.....i think thats a new queue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Some people are just self entitled. I worked with the public in my younger days. i couldnt do it now. Id end up punching some self entitled prick.
    Its the same driving. these kind of people just park anywhere dont give a **** about anyone else.

Saw this one today. Woman had parked her car sideways and right outside the entrance to a petrol station in such a way that anyone using the pump in front of her car had to inch out really slowly to avoid hitting it. And she wasnt some awl one, she was in her 40s and just walked out with an ice cream and the newspaper as if it was totally normal to park like that. I wouldnt say it crossed her tiny mind for a second that she was inconsiderate..

Advertisement