Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when do you get to skip the queue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

85603 wrote: »
    so a geebag skipped me while i was in a queue the other day.

where do some people get the balls.

Far queue!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Move to Italy. Nobody queues. For anything. Survival of the fittest.

Once you get used to it, it's fine.

Has the UK rejoined the USA?
    Dime q’s????

Given that I edited that immediately that’s impressive pedantry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

No it's not - q at each till not a stupid single file Q for the next avaliable till. Never see it in other countries and thankfully its not that common here but where it happens....
    So there is nowhere in the world where they have a ticketing system where you take a ticket and you will be meet by the earliest available window in numerical order.

Every bank branch in the world uses the single queue method.

In the US and the single queue is used everywhere. Best thing about the US is that people know how to queue, not the free for all bullsh*t in Ireland.

A single queue guarantees that nobody is going to get stuck behind that individual that takes forever while every other queue progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Given that I edited that immediately that’s impressive pedantry.

Sorry - didn’t realise it was an error or you were correcting!!

I guess I might be beating you in the Lidl new checkout now open sprint!!!

• Advertisement

So there is nowhere in the world where they have a ticketing system where you take a ticket and you will be meet by the earliest available window in numerical order.

In the US and the single queue is used everywhere. Best thing about the US is that people know how to queue, not the free for all bullsh*t in Ireland.

A single queue guarantees that nobody is going to get stuck behind that individual that takes forever while every other queue progresses.

Actually I thought that MacDonalds did that these days. Haven’t been in there for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

I was in a shop a few days before Christmas a couple of years ago. The queues were mental. Eventually I made my way to be second in the queue. This lad in a suit walks up to the middle aged woman in the queue in front of me says something and steps in front of her. I pipe up. "Sorry there is a queue". He turned around and said "She doesn't mind". I responded "I do you didn't ask me or the 20 people behind me". He scowls and says "I am double parked outside". I responded "The top deck of the carpark was empty 30 minutes ago. **** off and move your car". He tried to then cut in behind me and I loved hearing the man behind me just say "**** off to the back". He stormed out. The queue laughed and there was a real sense of Christmas cheer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

TP_CM wrote: »
    You know when you're queuing in Lidl, and you've been waiting and waiting and then they open another till and the people behind you jump over to that new counter. That's one of those little things which really p!sses me off for some reason.

That's a new queue, fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

accensi0n wrote: »
    When you're an alcoholic and it's 9:59 pm.

Yes especially in a supermarket.

I saw a guy drive past the queue of cars at the Covid vaccine centre , when he got out and joined the queue of people standing to get into the building he realised he left his ID in the car , off he went to get it and had to join the end of the queue, Karma :)

• Advertisement

Noticed Russian people don't queue. First seen it at the embassy in Dublin. Then when I was in Moscow and Saint Petersburg.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I queued to pay at a garage, only to be told that the card machine was out of order, but I could withdraw cash from the ATM in the corner. I was raging, but took the money out of the ATM, and too right but I skipped the queue to pay once I had the cash, as I wasn't going to queue up again.

Hoboo wrote: »
    That's a new queue, fair game.

It isn’t really. The problem is they can’t enforce queue discipline in a large supermarket. Smaller supermarkets can because there’s generally one queue in one aisle and newly open tills just speeds up that queue.

When you call people boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

It isn’t really. The problem is they can’t enforce queue discipline in a large supermarket. Smaller supermarkets can because there’s generally one queue in one aisle and newly open tills just speeds up that queue.

Do you remember the SPRINT to the toilet roll section at the start of the pandemic when people spotted them bringing out another pallet! So funny. The opposite of queing!! No prisoners taken!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’ve done it at toilets once when the smallie shouted ‘the poo is coming’ queue parted like the Red Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

When you get to your table in McDonald’s or similar fine establishment and realise they forgot to give you ketchup / dip / straws / salt whatever.

It’s ok to skip the queue to get what you need before your food goes cold.

Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fils wrote: »
    Perhaps the one with the basket is a frontline worker after working a 24 hour shift and there you are with all the time in the world with first world problems giving out about it.

While we appreciate front line workers we also expect that they appreciate that it doesn’t enable them to disregard the courtesy and good manners of first come first served... if a shop want a separate Q for front line workers no problem but if a shop and it’s staff are facilitating and enabling front line workers to skip people queuing for shopping ? I’d be redirecting my cash elsewhere and giving them a bit of feedback too for all to see.

meep wrote: »
    When you get to your table in McDonald’s or similar fine establishment and realise they forgot to give you ketchup / dip / straws / salt whatever.

It’s ok to skip the queue to get what you need before your food goes cold.

Am I wrong?

That’s not skipping, that’s just returning to get what you should have been given, if you forgot to order chips, got 4 instead of 5 yes your food can go cold as that’s another transaction/interaction that you are not entitled to without waiting your turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

No it's not - q at each till not a stupid single file Q for the next avaliable till. Never see it in other countries and thankfully its not that common here but where it happens....

It’s actually the most efficient and quickest way to queue. It means nobody is slowed down if there is one slow cashier or a customer is taking too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

By your rational, if there are four tills open and a fifth till opens, who gets first dibs?
    With the exception of self service tills, larger supermarkets operate a separate queue for each till for the most part. If another till opens, its a new queue, you make your move and you take your chances.
    It's been said already that the oftentimes, by the time a cashier actually opens the till, the person may well have been better off staying in the original queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

YFlyer wrote: »
    Noticed Russian people don't queue. First seen it at the embassy in Dublin. Then when I was in Moscow and Saint Petersburg.

Thats some queue, must be all of 5000km from Dublin to Moscow.

Thats some queue, must be all of 5000km from Dublin to Moscow.

In Mother Russia queue you up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Using that logic we should all line up in single file for the checkouts at Tesco or Dunnes, all so nobody gets stuck in the slow moving Q. If you get stuck behind someone its called tough ****.

Ridiculous carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

YFlyer wrote: »
    When you call people boss.

Lol

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Lol

I was asked by one of the Caseys in a queue to write the address for Quinn insurance on an envelope. There was no waiting with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

This thread will get more interesting once electric cars become the norm.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

You mean waiting for public chargers?

• Advertisement

Nahhh, they’ll be so commonplace...

Advertisement