Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when do you get to skip the queue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

I’m there 5 minutes before my appointment time, I’m not late. There are no attendants in my centre. The guys who test the car, also check in the car, check documents , take payment etc and test the car after check in. Cars are parked in car parking slots around the centre by the customer when they arrive , depending on availability of parking spaces.

If your appointment is at 11:20 and my appointment is at 11:00 and I’m there at 10:55, I’m not jumping the queue. I go to the check in desk when the car I have with me is called. Like I said into post , in my local centre that’s how it works. It’s not first come first served otherwise you’d have people queuing half an hour before the place even opens. They say be there 15 minutes before appointment, they don’t say your car will be tested 15 minutes before your appointment.

If you feel entitled to walk past people who are ahead of you in the queue and you are turning up with only 5 minutes to spare then I think thats late and entitled.
    I got notification previously to arrive 15 mins beforehand. Thats to give time for everything to work out as you dont turn up, get checked in and have car tested immediately, thats like saying you turn up and they start pulling other cars out of the queue to test what you have brought.
    There are other factors, like other people in the queue which you seem to disregard, you seem to think you are above or better than those people or that your time is more valuable from what I can see.

It is no different from anyone jumping a queue anywhere.

I see that you have no entitlement to walk past other people in a queue, by your own admission, you are later than what the NCTS has informed me to arrive and you confirm this,

You have no idea what times the tests of the other people are, the whole show could have been held up for any number of reasons.
    Thats my opinion and I dont see that someone like you will ever agree, but you wouldnt be walking past me

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

In my local SuperValu a while back. All available tills had a queue. Nothing major, four or five to a queue.
    I opt for the one with the little old man in front of me with a handful of items in his basket.
    Just as 'little old mans' turn comes to be served, 'little old mans' little old wife turns up.. seemingly out of nowhere.. with an overflowing basket to join him.
    It seems she was in an adjoining queue that wasn't moving as fast and this was obviously a strategy they employed whilst out doing their weekly shopping. A 'divide and conquer' type of thing.

All a little bit sad and pathetic but I'm guessing they got great satisfaction with their method of beating the system.

I wanted to say something but what do you say? Especially when they were just a couple of 'little old people'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

TP_CM wrote: »
    You know when you're queuing in Lidl, and you've been waiting and waiting and then they open another till and the people behind you jump over to that new counter. That's one of those little things which really p!sses me off for some reason.

Completely acceptable behaviour imo

Next time you be first to switch

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

1874 wrote: »
    If you feel entitled to walk past people who are ahead of you in the queue and you are turning up with only 5 minutes to spare then I think thats late and entitled.
    I got notification previously to arrive 15 mins beforehand. Thats to give time for everything to work out as you dont turn up, get checked in and have car tested immediately, thats like saying you turn up and they start pulling other cars out of the queue to test what you have brought.
    There are other factors, like other people in the queue which you seem to disregard, you seem to think you are above or better than those people or that your time is more valuable from what I can see.

I see that you have no entitlement to walk past other people in a queue, by your own admission, you are later than what the NCTS has informed me to arrive and you confirm this,

You have no idea what times the tests of the other people are, the whole show could have been held up for any number of reasons.
    Thats my opinion and I dont see that someone like you will ever agree, but you wouldnt be walking past me

Isn't the poster just coming forward when they are called by staff?
    Surely anyone would do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

There used to be a deli in the city centre with an unusual queuing system. It began at the entrance. A couple of metres ahead are prepacked sandwiches & drinks. Further on is the hot food counter and to the left of that is where you pay and then walk out the exit. If you just wanted a prepacked sandwich, logically you should be able to walk past the queue, grab what you want & and go to where X* is and wait to pay. But they didn't want people to do that. Instead lots of customers has to stand in the queue from the start, got their prepacked sandwich as they passed that point and waited until everybody ahead of them got their hot food before being able to pay & leave.

209006870_10165639449775089_825383628078189259_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=znNBS4xOQM0AX9Rnpj5&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=2fef006f76a8a631e8125ae18585ca25&oe=60E67074

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,624 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’m there 5 minutes before my appointment time, I’m not late. There are no attendants in my centre. The guys who test the car, also check in the car, check documents , take payment etc and test the car after check in. Cars are parked in car parking slots around the centre by the customer when they arrive , depending on availability of parking spaces.

If your appointment is at 11:20 and my appointment is at 11:00 and I’m there at 10:55, I’m not jumping the queue. I go to the check in desk when the car I have with me is called. Like I said into post , in my local centre that’s how it works. It’s not first come first served otherwise you’d have people queuing half an hour before the place even opens. They say be there 15 minutes before appointment, they don’t say your car will be tested 15 minutes before your appointment.
    Is there no reception desk for you to check in at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

afatbollix wrote: »
    I love how airports let you pay to skip queues....

I also now have the ultimate get on the plane first card.

Costs a fortune but it made it worth having a baby.
    For a moment I thought you had just qualified as a pilot.

So they claim, I have been through a number of different NCTS centres and I never saw this setup, its wide open to causing problems imo,

I'm not convinced, maybe they can tell us which location it is?

So they claim, I have been through a number of different NCTS centres and I never saw this setup, its wide open to causing problems imo,

I'm not convinced, maybe they can tell us which location it is?

I've never seen a setup like this at my center either but I've only ever been to one that I can recall.

I don't see the issue, though. Customers being called in the order of appointments seems reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

What would you do if my car was called by the worker and I walk past you?? Your appointment is at 11:20, mine is at 11 , it’s 10:55 now. Genuinely what would you do??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

If i'm at my local Aldi in a Q and they announce another till opening I'll give it a bit for the people behind me but if they don't move then I have no probs jumping over. I have no problem with people behind me moving to an open till when it opens. If its Aldi ffs your going to be through in seconds anyway.

I have a local SuperValu that my mother favours. Dear Christ. aldi would put through 10 customers in the time that SV do. The old dears who fooster with the purse getting the pennies, the vouchers, having the chat with the cashier.

It used to boil my piss but now I realise that for a lot of people that may be their only interaction with others and even if its not so what. I'm not in a hurry to save a baby or defuse a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

when you are a member of a particular ethnic community

Yes that is exactly what’s happening. It’s like the airport scenario. There’s a queue for people without priority boarding and then there’s the fast lane for priority boarders. It doesn’t matter if you start queuing an hour before the plane leaves, the people who paid priority get to board first.

Is there no reception desk for you to check in at?

There is a reception desk where you hand over your licence etc but no one is on it full time. The testers do all the admin. When they come into the office after their previous car, they call a name, if I have a customers car , I’ll know who that is and I’ll go to the desk. I’m not too bothered about someone who has spent 20 minutes standing outside the door if they have an appointment 10 minutes after mine. If they are called on time for theirs , I don’t see what the issue is.

On another nct note, I usually try to turn up pretty early (up to 30 minutes before appointment) , join whatever queue there is, check in and I'm usually done and driving our by my scheduled appointment time.

Perhaps this is skipping the queue but it seems to work faster than turning up 15 minutes before appointment and doesn't seem to bother anyone.

What would you do if my car was called by the worker and I walk past you?? Your appointment is at 11:20, mine is at 11 , it’s 10:55 now. Genuinely what would you do??

Well, I would not be there at 10.55 if my appointment was at 11.20 so we would either never see each other, or if they were still trying to jump me, regardless of how that started, Id be saying something to the staff member at the least, because that person is late, it is not my problem and I dont belive the NCTS pays heed to latecomers, my experience is they deal with people as they queue.

For one I do not believe the person behind the counter will know or bother calling a person or reg, because they wont know if the person has arrived as there is no system to notify them and if they queued like any decent person they would be out the back of the queue, possibly out the door the way things are these day as I have seen.
    I have never seen it in multiple test centres, the only time I have heard a reg or name called was for collecting your car.

Sounds like the poster maybe being in the trade thinks they have priority over others.

Yes that is exactly what’s happening. It’s like the airport scenario. There’s a queue for people without priority boarding and then there’s the fast lane for priority boarders. It doesn’t matter if you start queuing an hour before the plane leaves, the people who paid priority get to board first.

There is no priority boarding for NCTS, self entitlement maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

The plane boarding thing has me in bits. People standing for hours to get on. Eh..sit down relax and be last on. Same disembarking. Fussing around, blocked aisles, get your carryon as fast as possible only to be waiting at the carousel.

Relax. Be the last off. By the time your bags are through prob only waiting a few minutes.

Heckler wrote: »
    The plane boarding thing has me in bits. People standing for hours to get on. Eh..sit down relax and be last on. Same disembarking. Fussing around, blocked aisles, get your carryon as fast as possible only to be waiting at the carousel.

Relax. Be the last off. By the time your bags are through prob only waiting a few minutes.

In Dublin you have to tear off the plane as quick as possible or you’ll spend half the evening waiting to get your passport checked. It’s the only time I ever run.

Heckler wrote: »

Been a while since I took a flight, it depends, if it looks like the flight might be oversold (think I saw it once), or I had priority boarding and there might be plenty the same, then I'll get up and get in the priority Q and sit on my bag.
    Otherwise wait it out, and avoid the rugby scrum.

Getting off is different, I prefer to get up and out of the plane otherwise you are waiting ages for people foostering taking off bags and taking ages, get out ahead of the slow coaches who block everywhere up taking an eternity

• Advertisement

Well, I would not be there at 10.55 if my appointment was at 11.20 so we would either never see each other, or if they were still trying to jump me, regardless of how that started, Id be saying something to the staff member at the least, because that person is late, it is not my problem and I dont belive the NCTS pays heed to latecomers, my experience is they deal with people as they queue.

For one I do not believe the person behind the counter will know or bother calling a person or reg, because they wont know if the person has arrived as there is no system to notify them and if they queued like any decent person they would be out the back of the queue, possibly out the door the way things are these day as I have seen.
    I have never seen it in multiple test centres, the only time I have heard a reg or name called was for collecting your car.

Like I said , if my appointment is at 11 and yours is at 11:20 and I’m there at 10:55 , I’m not late. At my local centre they call the name of the next person on the list it seems, if my name appears on the list before yours, tough luck. Yes I do work in the trade why else would I be bringing customers cars?? I don’t have time to be there 15 or 20 minutes before I need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭HBC08

There used to be a deli in the city centre with an unusual queuing system. It began at the entrance. A couple of metres ahead are prepacked sandwiches & drinks. Further on is the hot food counter and to the left of that is where you pay and then walk out the exit. If you just wanted a prepacked sandwich, logically you should be able to walk past the queue, grab what you want & and go to where X* is and wait to pay. But they didn't want people to do that. Instead lots of customers has to stand in the queue from the start, got their prepacked sandwich as they passed that point and waited until everybody ahead of them got their hot food before being able to pay & leave.

209006870_10165639449775089_825383628078189259_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=znNBS4xOQM0AX9Rnpj5&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=2fef006f76a8a631e8125ae18585ca25&oe=60E67074

I thanked that post as the effort gone into putting together a map or graphic to explain the layout is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

There is obviously different systems at Nct centres, it works that way at mine too. When they call your name you go to the desk it doesn't matter if the person beside you has been there for an hour that's their problem. You have an appointment time and as long as your there its your turn

Like I said , if my appointment is at 11 and yours is at 11:20 and I’m there at 10:55 , I’m not late. At my local centre they call the name of the next person on the list it seems, if my name appears on the list before yours, tough luck. Yes I do work in the trade why else would I be bringing customers cars?? I don’t have time to be there 15 or 20 minutes before I need to be.

By that logic, if I was in the queue before you, then Id be on the list before you, because from my experience, they know who is scheduled for what time and place a sticker on your car when you arrive, unless the lanes are empty (which I have never seen, they are always busy) then I see no reason to turn up excessively early, even arriving on time (10-15mins early as I have seen a notification) you arent likely to have your car tested at the time of your appointment as there are others in the queue too.

By your own admission the NCTs notifies a person to be 15 mins or thereabouts earlier than their test booking time, so you thinking you can swan in with 5 minutes to spare smacks of a lot of entitlement and a lot of people wont tolerate that.
    I think if this really is occurring, the only way it's happening is as if you know someone at the desk or they recognise/know you as a dealer.

I wouldnt let it go without saying anything and If next in the queue Id be at the counter and dispute it before you got there.
    If that went no-where Id make a complaint by email asking the NCTS to confirm their policy and I would swing for the staff member by name in such an email.
    Your time isn't more valuable than others, despite what you say,
    So, you're either genuinely feel entitled or are a wind up, because you just admitted your time is valuable, seems you think more so than anyone else and thats what it comes down to, others could be on their break or a tight schedule too.
    You basically think turning up with 5 minutes notice means you should get bumped to the top of the queue.

I would not let that pass without having words, nor would a lot of people

That system (which seems unofficial) is open to problems.

What centre is this? I doubt this is going on at all though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

Seems to be a lot more of this going on now

I'm getting 2 people asking can they jump ahead, I don't mind

By that logic, if I was in the queue before you, then Id be on the list before you, because from my experience, they know who is scheduled for what time and place a sticker on your car when you arrive, unless the lanes are empty (which I have never seen, they are always busy) then I see no reason to turn up excessively early, even arriving on time (10-15mins early as I have seen a notification) you arent likely to have your car tested at the time of your appointment as there are others in the queue too.

By your own admission the NCTs notifies a person to be 15 mins or thereabouts earlier than their test booking time, so you thinking you can swan in with 5 minutes to spare smacks of a lot of entitlement and a lot of people wont tolerate that.
    I think if this really is occurring, the only way it's happening is as if you know someone at the desk or they recognise/know you as a dealer.

I wouldnt let it go without saying anything and If next in the queue Id be at the counter and dispute it before you got there.
    If that went no-where Id make a complaint by email asking the NCTS to confirm their policy and I would swing for the staff member by name in such an email.
    Your time isn't more valuable than others, despite what you say,
    So, you're either genuinely feel entitled or are a wind up, because you just admitted your time is valuable, seems you think more so than anyone else and thats what it comes down to, others could be on their break or a tight schedule too.
    You basically think turning up with 5 minutes notice means you should get bumped to the top of the queue.

I would not let that pass without having words, nor would a lot of people

That system (which seems unofficial) is open to problems.

What centre is this? I doubt this is going on at all though

I don’t think you understand the difference between a queue and an appointment time. A queue is like at McDonalds, or Costa or Croke park, where it’s first come first served. An appointment time is where you choose a time that suits you and you get called around that time, maybe earlier if you are there early and it’s quiet or later if they are busy but definitely get called before other people who have a time after yours.

You know what I do when I go to the doctors and I have an appointment time for 2pm and I’m still sitting there at 3:30, I do nothing, I wait, I don’t confront people who turned up after me but got called before me, I don’t go looking for staff members names so I can bang off a letter of complaint.

We obviously don’t go to the same centre and as I have said a few times at this stage, that’s how things work in my centre, they call people based on whoever is next on the list , not whoever is next in line. Maybe it works differently in centres with full time admin.

Looking for staff members names so you can make a complaint when you don’t know how a system operates within a business is a dick move in my opinion. Especially if you are still early for you appointment time slot and haven’t been called.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

air wrote: »
    Same as that, a queue for a plane or any other form of public transport is unique in that there is no gain from getting through it before anyone else.
    I regularly see people stand to queue for boarding for 30mins plus before the desk has even opened.
    It may have been somewhat understandable before assigned seating when people may have wanted to sit together or whatever, but now it's just a wonder of human psychology.

Yeah Im sitting down at the gate relaxed reading the news or a Kindle and wondering why people are standing up queuing for 30 minutes so they can then get on a plane first and sit on it for a further 20 minutes while they wait for it to load up. Thats around 45-50 minutes of discomfort whereas you could have been in a coffee shop or by the gate relaxing. To me you're better off being almost last on the plane, Im pretty tall as well so the less time spent with my knees up against the plastic seat in front the better.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Does it not do your head in when you're last on a plane and there's no
    space in the overhead bin for your luggage?

In the long run it then takes you bloody ages to get off the plane once it lands as you've to get to your luggage which had to be crammed into an overhead bin at the other end.

Thats happened me a couple of times and it actually works out pretty well. The cabin crew are on the ball and take your bag and store it somewhere near the exit door. On exit they hand your bag to you so its kind of like a bag concierge service. Thats on Aer Lingus, not sure how Ryanair do it but I know its part of their safety responsibilities to make sure every bag is stored safely. If they do put it in an overhead bin near the plane door well you're going to be walking past that anyway to exit the plane and you can just grab it on your way out of the plane.

I don’t think you understand the difference between a queue and an appointment time. A queue is like at McDonalds, or Costa or Croke park, where it’s first come first served. An appointment time is where you choose a time that suits you and you get called around that time, maybe earlier if you are there early and it’s quiet or later if they are busy but definitely get called before other people who have a time after yours.

You know what I do when I go to the doctors and I have an appointment time for 2pm and I’m still sitting there at 3:30, I do nothing, I wait, I don’t confront people who turned up after me but got called before me, I don’t go looking for staff members names so I can bang off a letter of complaint.

We obviously don’t go to the same centre and as I have said a few times at this stage, that’s how things work in my centre, they call people based on whoever is next on the list , not whoever is next in line. Maybe it works differently in centres with full time admin.

Looking for staff members names so you can make a complaint when you don’t know how a system operates within a business is a dick move in my opinion. Especially if you are still early for you appointment time slot and haven’t been called.

Well, name the location then
    Anyway this isnt like a Dr's surgery or priority booking at Ryanair,
    Its a dick move to jump people who are in the queue ahead you, thats entitlement, especially when you turn up with 5 mins to spare, look we are not going to agree, but I dont think its NCTS policy, I don't see why I wouldnt highlight someone facilitating this, it's not nice to have to do, but you dont make an omelette without breaking some eggs.
    If there isn't a problem, then nothing will come of it

Im not going to argue back and forth with you, nor get walked on out and about, or I'd be letting every tom DICK and harry walk all over me, you made a point your time is valuable, that suggests others time isn't.

I believe it is part of the job in retail to endeavour to serve customers in turn and fairly.
    Now, I don't know if the poster was rude to the cashier which wouldn't be acceptable but asking the cashier to not serve a queue jumper is reasonable, imo.

Threatening to walk off in a huff leaving your entire trolley for the staff member to repack and then restack is not rude and perfectly reasonable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

If I've an nct appointment I just turn up on time

Don't consider that queue jumping

Why would it everyone gets a slot , that's the whole idea rather than a queue out the door every morning

Advertisement