Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when do you get to skip the queue

Options

Comments

Henry... wrote: »
    If I've an nct appointment I just turn up on time

Don't consider that queue jumping

Why would it everyone gets a slot , that's the whole idea rather than a queue out the door every morning

But plenty of people have the same time in my centre. All booked in for the same time so even if we all arrive 10 minutes early, we need to get into a q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

But plenty of people have the same time in my centre. All booked in for the same time so even if we all arrive 10 minutes early, we need to get into a q

I just turn up for the appointment and wait to get called

There's no queue as such

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

If I've an nct appointment I just turn up on time

Don't consider that queue jumping

Why would it everyone gets a slot , that's the whole idea rather than a queue out the door every morning

Exactly , you’ve put it better and more concise than me. Some people don’t understand the difference between a queue and an appointment time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

I just turn up for the appointment and wait to get called

There's no queue as such

If you went to a different Test Centre, Id keep it in mind they likely operate a queue system.
    Would you feel entirely comfortable and ok breezing up past people standing there already?

Thats why I took it that they say 15 mins early, to give yourself ample time to turn up, park, check in, not to swan up past people because its so late you have 5 mins to spare yourself and be damned with everyone else.

If someone is ok with that, then how do they feel if someone cuts in on them anywhere because they have decided it is appropriate, in general my interpretation of cutting in line/skipping the queue is not looked upon well.
    However, I think people that do it themselves, wont like it either, maybe even more so than others, because their time is so valuable.

Appointments trump queues of course. But it doesn’t really matter unless you are very early and get annoyed if if someone arriving at the correct time goes ahead.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »

This, from earlier

its brilliant, not that I agree with it, its some people though, any excuse.

I must look this series up again

1874 wrote: »
    If you went to a different Test Centre, Id keep it in mind they likely operate a queue system.
    Would you feel entirely comfortable and ok breezing up past people standing there already?

Thats why I took it that they say 15 mins early, to give yourself ample time to turn up, park, check in, not to swan up past people because its so late you have 5 mins to spare yourself and be damned with everyone else.

If someone is ok with that, then how do they feel if someone cuts in on them anywhere because they have decided it is appropriate, in general my interpretation of cutting in line/skipping the queue is not looked upon well.
    However, I think people that do it themselves, wont like it either, maybe even more so than others, because their time is so valuable.

The reason for arriving just in time is so the engine's hot

The reason for arriving just in time is so the engine's hot

:pac:

Another thing that’s happened since the pandemic and indoor dining was banned. Take away food only. Generally I go to the same cafe every day. You can walk up and order or you can ring ahead and order for a specific time.

So i ring them at 9 and place an order for collection at 1, arrive just before 1 and staff member calls my name soon after, I walk up to the door, past the people who haven’t preordered, I pay and collect my food, all done in less than a minute. It’s the cafes policy to do it like this, I don’t question their methods as it obviously works best for them.

Another thing that’s happened since the pandemic and indoor dining was banned. Take away food only. Generally I go to the same cafe every day. You can walk up and order or you can ring ahead and order for a specific time.

So i ring them at 9 and place an order for collection at 1, arrive just before 1 and staff member calls my name soon after, I walk up to the door, past the people who haven’t preordered, I pay and collect my food, all done in less than a minute. It’s the cafes policy to do it like this, I don’t question their methods as it obviously works best for them.

Are you suggesting that people are arriving to NCT centres without preordering their tests?

I find it utterly bizarre that you dont need to stand in line and they call you but all those other people do. Whats the difference? Why doesnt everyone just wait to be called?

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that people are arriving to NCT centres without preordering their tests?

I find it utterly bizarre that you dont need to stand in line and they call you but all those other people do. Whats the difference? Why doesnt everyone just wait to be called?

?? I’m talking about cafes.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

You have absolutely no reason to jump a queue!

I've had a few occasions where I've been standing behind a person

with a large trolley of goods and some have and some haven't let me

go ahead of them and I too also have done the same.

?? I’m talking about cafes.

Right and what exactly does that have to do with jumping ahead at the NCT?

Why are people lined up if you are called at your time?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think there are some very confused and angry people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I think there are some very confused and angry people here.

This is After Hours on boards.ie, of course there are!

Right and what exactly does that have to do with jumping ahead at the NCT?

Why are people lined up if you are called at your time?

Go back and read my post. You’re confused 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Threatening to walk off in a huff leaving your entire trolley for the staff member to repack and then restack is not rude and perfectly reasonable?

The person who posted that obviously never worked retail. In fact I find the ones who think it's okay to treat staff like that often don't work at all.

I hope that person knows that it wasn't their petulant threat that made the cashier agree - I'm sure the staff member would love to tell you to go ahead and do it but they would only get in trouble as no doubt someone acting so childish and moronic would then try and complain to a manager.

You're going to leave your food and personal hygiene items and go home? Okay, that's a real genius move. Have fun starving and wiping your hole with your hand.

Threatening to walk off in a huff leaving your entire trolley for the staff member to repack and then restack is not rude and perfectly reasonable?

I never walked off nor was I rude as they didn’t serve them first. I don’t actually know where the person went but they didn’t join the back of the till I was at anyway.
    I simply gave them the option before they started scanning the persons items. You’d like to think they wouldn’t have anyway but I’d have just went if they had, so by me speaking up things worked out fine for all. “Sorry, if you let this person go ahead of me I’m not buying these items” is hardly making the big scene you’ve built up in your head.

Am I just meant to stand there and let someone skip in front of me when I’ve clearly said that it’s not ok if they do? Am i ****.

Go back and read my post. You’re confused 😕

I'm a little confused

In fact I'm more than a little confused

I'm very confused

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

If im out shopping and a nurse/doctor/emt or other frontline worker in uniform i let them ahead of me. Would consider letting some folks passed me if i have a big shop and they have 5 items max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭blackbox

The only time I skip a queue is in turning left in heavy traffic. If gobsh*tes are illegally queuing in a bus lane I will remain in the car lane and only pull into the left lane at the legal point.

blackbox wrote: »
    The only time I skip a queue is in turning left in heavy traffic. If gobsh*tes are illegally queuing in a bus lane I will remain in the car lane and only pull into the left lane at the legal point.

Thats not skipping the queue, they are parked in the bus lane, they shouldnt be there, the bus lane isnt to facilitate other traffic moving easier/quicker, its to facilitate the bus negotiating traffic easier/quicker

I never walked off nor was I rude as they didn’t serve them first. I don’t actually know where the person went but they didn’t join the back of the till I was at anyway.
    I simply gave them the option before they started scanning the persons items.

This is exactly what you said:
    I had to tell the one on the checkout in Super Valu the other day that I was leaving the whole thing on the belt if she didn’t send someone back behind me.
    Am I just meant to stand there and let someone skip in front of me when I’ve clearly said that it’s not ok if they do? Am i ****.

I believe I already addressed this.
    Why didn't you just tackle the person that skipped you instead of the the poor staff member that couldn't be a dick back?

You took the Karen option safe in the knowledge that your tantrum wouldnt be addressed by staff instead of dealing with the actual person causing the issue

This is exactly what you said:

I believe I already addressed this.

You took the Karen option safe in the knowledge that your tantrum wouldnt be addressed by staff instead of dealing with the actual person causing the issue

Incorrect, but I don’t think I’ll change the mind of someone desperate to clutch their pearls so I won’t bother any more. Sad case bolding words to try and force literal meanings for an incorrect argument. Have a look at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

This had the potential to be a great thread, but due to a certain posters inability to distinguish between a queue and an appointment, it has of course being ruined!

Ffs what does it matter if someone is there 5 minutes or 15 minutes before their appointment, as long as they are there to hear their name called out, what's the issue??

Incorrect, but I don’t think I’ll change the mind of someone desperate to clutch their pearls so I won’t bother any more. Sad case bolding words to try and force literal meanings for an incorrect argument. Have a look at yourself.

Your own words FFS. Theres no cluthing. You said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭limerickpat

Not looking to get into the argument but the rural single lane test centre in my area which my username points to calls names like barney gumble said.

when I was there 2 weeks ago there was 5 or 6 people with appointments, max of 3 in the waiting room and more outside. As testers became available they called names by appointment.

This meant a customer who arrived after me was called before me but I was called in ahead of at least 1 other customer who was on site before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,894 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

TP_CM wrote: »
    You know when you're queuing in Lidl, and you've been waiting and waiting and then they open another till and the people behind you jump over to that new counter. That's one of those little things which really p!sses me off for some reason.

New queue. Fair game who ever gets to it fastest.
    I rarely get more than a handful of items in Lidl. I frequently get till-blocked by people with enough shopping for a nuclear winter who pretend not to see me. The sound ones let me go past.

Rushing to get in line and queue for the airport gate is a mug's game, just sit down until it's nearly done. I can never understand why non priority people are in a tear to stand uselessly for an eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

New queue. Fair game who ever gets to it fastest.
    I rarely get more than a handful of items in Lidl. I frequently get till-blocked by people with enough shopping for a nuclear winter who pretend not to see me. The sound ones let me go past.

Rushing to get in line and queue for the airport gate is a mug's game, just sit down until it's nearly done. I can never understand why non priority people are in a tear to stand uselessly for an eternity.

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/05/11/dozens-injured-in-stampede-after-second-checkout-in-lidl-opens/

Opening second tills can have serious health and safety risks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I was in dunnes at the weekend, queuing leaving a safe space between the person ahead. A woman didn't see me and hopped in the queue ahead of me. I politely let her know and she was quite embarrassed but didn't actually make any attempt to move. She had a lot less in her cart than me so I let it go because who needs an argument first thing on a saturday?

Anyway, she got to the checkout and once most of her stuff had scanned she realised she'd either forgotten something or was under the threshold for her vouchers or something, but either way, she vanished back off into the shop for a full 5 minutes leaving all her stuff unbagged on the checkout. Appeared back with stuff that she had clearly had to walk from one end of the shop to the other to get. Never letting it slide again.

Advertisement