Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when do you get to skip the queue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

About 16 years ago David Gray played the old point theatre in Dublin. My missus was heavily pregnant at the time. She was in the queue for the ladies when a steward spotted her.
    She took my wife by the hand and said "no need for you to queue" and walked her to the front. A mouthy Dublin one about 3 back from the front went mental and started mouthing off about her being "a ****íng queue jumping bitch". My missus turned around and it was so obvious she was heavily pregnant. The steward just said "surely we can allow this lady to go ahead". The other one went completely scarlet and I'm sure she wanted the ground to open up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

You mean waiting for public chargers?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Using that logic we should all line up in single file for the checkouts at Tesco or Dunnes, all so nobody gets stuck in the slow moving Q. If you get stuck behind someone its called tough ****.

Ridiculous carry on.

There are barriers in place in plenty of places that just allow one queue - post offices, airports and banks are good for them. No reason they can't happen in supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Fils wrote: »
    Perhaps the one with the basket is a frontline worker after working a 24 hour shift and there you are with all the time in the world with first world problems giving out about it.

Frontline me hole, probably the worst aspect of the whole covid ****e is muppets thinking they are special for doing the job they are paid to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Frontline me hole, probably the worst aspect of the whole covid ****e is muppets thinking they are special for doing the job they are paid to do.

Im a frontline worker and i am special.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Nigzcurran wrote: »

For a man who was in an RTA today, that's probably an attitude that you should change

• Registered Users Posts: 20,771 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There are barriers in place in plenty of places that just allow one queue - post offices, airports and banks are good for them. No reason they can't happen in supermarkets.

Trolleys.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yes.

Only if you rely on them for all your charging, we have a home charger so no biggie if they are busy.

As for destination chargers, well you'd hope the infrastructure will increase....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Not all airlines use the single queue system - some have multiple desks that you line up for.

It's a stupid system, if the yanks do it that probably explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

YFlyer wrote: »
    Noticed Russian people don't queue. First seen it at the embassy in Dublin. Then when I was in Moscow and Saint Petersburg.

Russia is bad but queuing in India takes the biscuit, you've no personal space whatsoever and have to be willing to use your elbows to engage in a bit of jostling. Queue skipping there is endemic and seems to be admired by many of the locals.

• Advertisement

Not all airlines use the single queue system - some have multiple desks that you line up for.

Why? The single queue system means whoever is at the top of it gets served next regardless of people being served taking up 5 minutes of the cashiers time or 30 seconds. When youve loafs of individual queues at each till then you can get stuck behind someone taking ages to order a load of Happy meals for a rake of kids. If the banks didnt operate the single queue system you could easily be stuck in a queue waiting 20 minutes for the person ahead to be finished.

Security is always a single queue. I haven’t checked in in an airport for years.

Single queue is the way forward. Benefits everybody except the kind of guy waiting for a till to open so he can get a one up on his fellow man. Sad.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Russia is bad but queuing in India takes the biscuit, you've no personal space whatsoever and have to be willing to use your elbows to engage in a bit of jostling. Queue skipping there is endemic and seems to be admired by many of the locals.

No they mostly hate it but mostly all do it. Culture is hard to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Weepsie wrote: »
    For a man who was in an RTA today, that's probably an attitude that you should change

Ha I’m actually frontline myself!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

TP_CM wrote: »
    You know when you're queuing in Lidl, and you've been waiting and waiting and then they open another till and the people behind you jump over to that new counter. That's one of those little things which really p!sses me off for some reason.

I should be allowed slap those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

In Midleton last week i seen 3 people in a queue for a shop, when the next woman was allowed in she turned and decided the old woman at the end should go next.
    Id love to have been in the middle of that queue to see if she'd have swapped her position rather than push me to the back of the queue without asking

People in supermarkets have really come to expect to be able to push on if they have a basket and you’ve a trolley. I had to tell the one on the checkout in Super Valu the other day that I was leaving the whole thing on the belt if she didn’t send someone back behind me. Entitled pricks.

Why didn't you just tackle the person that skipped you instead of the the poor staff member that couldn't be a dick back?

Shockingly enough, I have had many arguments over this.

Oh it's your mate? Well **** off to the back with them then!

It's incredible ignorant and I have no qualms raising the issue. My time and that if my family is important too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I love how airports let you pay to skip queues....

I also now have the ultimate get on the plane first card.

Costs a fortune but it made it worth having a baby.

meep wrote: »
    When you get to your table in McDonald’s or similar fine establishment and realise they forgot to give you ketchup / dip / straws / salt whatever.

It’s ok to skip the queue to get what you need before your food goes cold.

Am I wrong?

With manners it is.

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »

As well as half the flight you mean?

afatbollix wrote: »

I always prefer to be one of the last on the plane, the less time spent on it the better imo and it isnt moving anywhere till everyone is loaded up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I don't mind how they decide queues really as long as it is marked clearly and the rest of the idiots follow it.
    I don't like the lidl new till open dash but I also agree there are no rights to a place in that queue for anyone.
    Airports often segment their security queue into multiples as you get to the scanning machines, but they sometimes have a staff member to divide them evenly.
    One queue might be a fairer system, but you need a good amount unused floor area so the queue can get long without interfering with access. Fine in post office and banks where the customer area is only really used for queuing, or at concerts and in airports using barriers in open spaces, but not feasible in the average supermarket where the aisles are close to the tills and people are trying to shop. Penney's and TK Maxx are ones that seem to do it well. I've been in a Boots and an MnS recently, and they seem to be going backwards in terms of clear/fair queuing systems :D
    Rush hour Luas platforms used to be a great sh*tshow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,939 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I mentioned it elsewhere but I remember the ***** in Dublin airport begging to skip us in the security screening Q maintaining they were about to miss their flight... 90 minutes later we met the same fûckers in our boarding Q...pricks...

Pennys operates the single queue system well. When you join it you're looking at 20 people in front of you and thinking 'oh bollox' but they will have 8 or 9 tills open and it moves pretty quickly, usually less than 5 minutes. Im glad they do it that way because Im only ever buying 2 or 3 items whereas some people are buying 30+ items which take ages for the cashier to find and scan each barcode. If you were stuck behind one of them you're in for a long frustrating wait.

In any case I think most supermarket queuing is close to being eliminated through technology soon enough. They've been working on scanners that scan an entire trolley load of food and delivers the total price in just a few seconds. Or there is also the Amazon grocery store model model where they have your payment details and you just lift items off the shelf and walk straight out the door so there is no cashiers, no queues and no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I always prefer to be one of the last on the plane, the less time spent on it the better imo and it isnt moving anywhere till everyone is loaded up anyway.

Does it not do your head in when you're last on a plane and there's no
    space in the overhead bin for your luggage?

In the long run it then takes you bloody ages to get off the plane once it lands as you've to get to your luggage which had to be crammed into an overhead bin at the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So there is nowhere in the world where they have a ticketing system where you take a ticket and you will be meet by the earliest available window in numerical order.

Like an Irish welfare office? :)

Hell, I even saw a Galway barber doing it when they first reopened and everyone was supposed to have an appointment.

Trolleys.

Yes, people often have those big bulky suitcase holders in airports too. I don’t see the problem.

Seriously? So sullen are you are about the system that you’ll resort to lazy xenophobia to oppose it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingMonkey

You Don't.

Advertisement