Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when do you get to skip the queue

Options

Comments

It's never a mistake, the likes of these people know exactly what they're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »

Either I’m having a serious case of Deja Vu or was this posted already early this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Either I’m having a serious case of Deja Vu or was this posted already early this morning?

Or you are spending far too much time here.

she vanished back off into the shop for a full 5 minutes leaving all her stuff unbagged on the checkout. Appeared back with stuff that she had clearly had to walk from one end of the shop to the other to get. Never letting it slide again.

i hope she at least apologised? if not... then she deserved a good tongue lashing

• Advertisement

:o

sorry it's my tourettes syndrome it spreads to my typing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Going left at a roundabout and there's a tail back? Up, around the roundabout and leave at that exit instead. Job done.

accensi0n wrote: »
    When you're an alcoholic and it's 9:59 pm.

I was working late one Friday after a fortnight of overtime. 9am-8pm Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm Sat and Sun, then another week of 9-8pm. I went home, ordered a pizza and had a shower. Pizza arrived and I was half way through when I copped that it was coming close to 10pm and I'd better get my skates on if I wanted a few cans for my Friday night.

Up to the local shop which has a bingo hall two doors down from it. There's obviously some sort of a break in the action as there's about 40 auldones outside the bingo smoking. Into the shop, and there's a pretty sizeable queue already. Grab the cans, join the back of the queue.

It becomes pretty obvious that most of the queue are bingo heads. They're all buying smokes, scratch cards or both smokes and scratch cards. I'm eyeballing the time trying to figure out if I'll make it to the top before 10. When I'm three from the top, your one at the front orders 15 all cash scratchcards. When she's finished paying, she stays standing at the till and scratches off all ten. This takes about 3 minutes, and she hands over the winning cards and orders another 6 from the winnings.

Sure enough, she starts scratching them at the till as well. It's only when I start complaining that the poor teenager behind the till has the bottle to stand up to her and tell her to move off. She moves to the ice cream fridge and starts scratching. Just as it's my turn, she runs back up to the top of the queue and says "i'm just cashing these two in, won't be a second, love".........and I go "No". Her mind crashed, she literally was unused to hearing that word. She was still going through the motions of skipping the queue and handing the cards over as her brain was processing what had happened.
    "I'll just be two minutes".
    "I don't care, I haven't got two minutes, because in 90 seconds it will be illegal for me to buy these cans. You can join the back of the queue like you should have done earlier"
    She left the shop rather than have to do the walk of shame.

Another time, I was in the newsagents (might be an Easosn?) in Heuston one time getting a train to Cork when some knob in a suit grabbed a copy of the Times and marched past everyone in the queue.

"I'm awfully sorry, I've got a train to catch, here's the exact change for the paper"
    Two scumbags near the top aren't happy - "It's a bleeeedin' train stay-shun, ya tick, we ALL have a fookin' train to catch"
    Suit starts to say something when the other fella pipes up and says "if you don't get back to the end of that queue, It'll be a bleedin ambulance you're catching pal"
    He left without his paper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LBXFSGe.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Whenever I see queue jumping I always wish I was this guy....

• Advertisement

Back in the day when the priority queue for Ryanair was useful and free (not that many people used the internet I suppose) I was about 5th in line when it started to move.

This was Bristol to Dublin, there’s a walk to the Ryanair planes of about a minute. I was walking briskly enough about 2 metres behind the next person, not really paying attention and neither eating up the distance or falling behind, when a guy in a fairly fancy suit passes me. He really wanted to be fifth. He would have caught up to be fourth if the walk had been longer. There’s no benefit to that except the “winning” in his own head and I bet a lot of the people jumping queues at airports and train stations are like that.

I did say “ah you made it” when I passed him by on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I was in dunnes at the weekend, queuing leaving a safe space between the person ahead. A woman didn't see me and hopped in the queue ahead of me. I politely let her know and she was quite embarrassed but didn't actually make any attempt to move. She had a lot less in her cart than me so I let it go because who needs an argument first thing on a saturday?

Anyway, she got to the checkout and once most of her stuff had scanned she realised she'd either forgotten something or was under the threshold for her vouchers or something, but either way, she vanished back off into the shop for a full 5 minutes leaving all her stuff unbagged on the checkout. Appeared back with stuff that she had clearly had to walk from one end of the shop to the other to get. Never letting it slide again.

Thats really taking the piss. I wish supermarkets had software on their tills that would allow staff to suspend a transaction for those tossers 'who just forgot something' and run back down the aisles They are the ones who should be made wait, not everyone else.

Would people say that women are more likely to be queue jumpers?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 patobrien12

I was at a mcgregor vs khabib fight and for some reason the guy behind the counter took a liking to me so anyone time I was queueing up for a drink which as the night went on the lines got longer and longer he kept calling me out and giving me free drinks. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I was at a mcgregor vs khabib fight and for some reason the guy behind the counter took a liking to me so anyone time I was queueing up for a drink which as the night went on the lines got longer and longer he kept calling me out and giving me free drinks. lol

Probably thought you were one of the higher ranking pat o browns

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Would people say that women are more likely to be queue jumpers?

In a per transaction basis I dont know but in an over all sence yes. Women do way more shopping than men so have more opportunities to jump the queue or even just observed doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

People wouldn't skip queues if they were not allowed to.

Cars bombing up the hard shoulder in a traffic jam wouldn't do it if drivers decided to not let them back in.

I had a case a while back where there was a huge tail-back on the N11 due to a vehicle on fire. Traffic almost at a stand-still. After a few cars drove down the hard shoulder, I decided I'd had enough and moved out to be half-way blocking it. The next car down was an Audi and I amused myself watching the driver losing his fooking mind in my rear-view mirror. I normally wouldn't be that kind of pr1ck that feels the need to police others but it was fun seeing other drivers around me laughing at Audi boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Maybe in a medical emergency

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I skip the queue whenever I feel like it. Most Irish people are too “polite” to challenge it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

German supermarkets are awful in comparison to Irish supermarkets. There is rarely anyone working on the floor to ask a question. And this can arise to some problems. German supermarkets tend to keep the more expensive alcohol behind a closed glass cabinet in the middle of the drinks isle, usually a nice walking distance from the checkout.

So you have all your groceries, and you get in queue and then when you get to the checkout you have to ask the cashier for a certain alcohol. He/she will call someone over the intercom, you have to back and wait for them to arrive, and then to try out multiple keys and eventually open the cabinet. Then you return, and you get dirty looks from the end of the queue because they think you are skipping and you get dirty looks from the start of the queue because you held them up.

A couple of swigs while you count out your change usually calms the nerves again

• Advertisement

Jequ0n wrote: »
    I skip the queue whenever I feel like it. Most Irish people are too “polite” to challenge it

not everybody is that polite, so be careful. By not skipping queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Des Bishop had something to say about that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,501 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We used to skip the queue in the Savoy Cinema years ago. There would be huge queues for the blockbuster movie in the cavernous Savoy 1, and no queue at all for the arty Swedish subtitled movie in the pokey Savoy 5.

But they only had one central point for checking tickets, so you could buy a ticket for Savoy 5 and then head into Savoy 1. This was long before the days of reserved seating, so it was just take whatever seats were free, and watch the plumes of smoke wafting up into the beam of the projector.

Don't you feel embarrassed when you encounter someone that's not polite about it?

Don't you feel embarrassed when you encounter someone that's not polite about it?

No. Why would I?

No. Why would I?

Because skipping queues is a crap thing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

TP_CM wrote: »
    You know when you're queuing in Lidl, and you've been waiting and waiting and then they open another till and the people behind you jump over to that new counter. That's one of those little things which really p!sses me off for some reason.
    Darwin

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

No. Why would I?

Because of human decency or the fact that someone just put you back in your box?

Because of human decency or the fact that someone just put you back in your box?

I am not interested in “human decency” and rules that other people deem important. You’re all free to adhere to them if it makes you feel better.

• Advertisement

I am not interested in “human decency” and rules that other people deem important. You’re all free to adhere to them if it makes you feel better.

A troll or a psychopath.

I adhere to human decency because Im a decent human

Advertisement