Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Hi all, was quote 190e for a full valet and machine polish and wax.

Does that seem okay price or are they having a laugh?

Company in question seem to have good reviews and regular updates on social media etc..

"Hi,
    Full car valet with one stage machine polishing and coat of hard shell wax could cost 190€ .
    Price can be confirmed"

Underpriced likely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Hi all, was quote 190e for a full valet and machine polish and wax.

Does that seem okay price or are they having a laugh?

Company in question seem to have good reviews and regular updates on social media etc..

"Hi,
    Full car valet with one stage machine polishing and coat of hard shell wax could cost 190€ .
    Price can be confirmed"

My normal approach is to divide the estimate by what I think someone good would need to charge as an hourly rate, considering costs of labour, premises, etc., and then decide if they're likely to do a good job in that time frame. E190 seem very cheap to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Here's a little insight to how much easier Gtechniq C5 makes life:

Before, covered in brake dust and gick:

51258403210_732dfaf7e5_z.jpg

After, Bilt Hamber AutoWheel diluted 1:1 with no scrubbing, or agitation. Solely pressure washed off at low pressure:

51258403230_c18d5b782d_z.jpg

Also, ADBL tyre and rubber cleaner worked its magic on the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Any tips to remove sun cream from a family members car paint?

APC barely touched it. Do I need some sort of oil based cleaner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

moleyv wrote: »

Only thing that ever shifted sun cream for me was a machine polisher.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

moleyv wrote: »

Machine polish.

Does anyone know who the Autosmart rep is for Dublin? It says some guy by the name of Clive on their website but the contact details are for a domain that never even existed.

There's a Facebook page for the same crowd, which directs you to another domain address. Which... you guessed it.. doesn't even exist.

Looking to get some Tardis.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭vectra

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    I'm hoping to take delivery of a new car later in the summer. Its a few years since I bought any detailing gear, I need to dust off the cobwebs on stuff I already have in the garage but I'm sure I need a few new bits!

I'm just wondering where's the go-to place now for good stuff and value for money? Are there any Irish suppliers still going? I've forgotten the ones I used to use tbh.

Basic stuff I'd need to get:
    - a decent wash mitt (or 2)
    - couple of good drying towels
    - tar remover

Beyond that, whats the recommendation these days in terms of sealants / waxes? The car will be silver metallic if that makes much difference.

Cheers!

Hi Joe,

I have been using this now with almost 2 years and find it fantastic stuff Sonax PNS
    The regualr advice given is to use Sonax BSD as an occasional topper after a wash, but I find the PNS stays cleaner....... Better Beading... Easier to wash, (I have often just snow foamed my car and rinsed it, looked 95% clean.

I know I coated it with Migliore Forte graphene last year, but :rolleyes:, would be my opinion on that, Literally zero beading.
    I have since got a tin for my son and he has used it on his Focus and is delighted with it.

I will say it is a bit grabby to use, but you will find it is good and lasts up to 6 months, a top up of it every few months is time well spent.

Peter will advise on tar remover and mitts etc. as he stocks all of those.

*** EDIT ***
    Use code ide10 if ordering for there.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Manutd623

Hi all,

What spray wax/sealant would you recommend that is long lasting and has good hydrophobic properties?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Gtechniq C2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Manutd623

Would you use any quick detailer etc. after each wash after this is applied. Thanks

Manutd623 wrote: »
    Would you use any quick detailer etc. after each wash after this is applied. Thanks

Turtlewax Sealant wax. Cheap, easy to use with outstanding results. I keep trying other things and coming back to it.

After washing the car I give the panels a few quick sprays of C2 and then dry it

Hi all,

What spray wax/sealant would you recommend that is long lasting and has good hydrophobic properties?

Thanks in advance

Read my post above your query.
    You don't need a QD.

What materials can you apply C4 to? Is it plastic only?

I want to polish the B-Pillars on a BMW and get them back to Piano black. What's the best way of protecting them?

myshirt wrote: »
    What materials can you apply C4 to? Is it plastic only?

I want to polish the B-Pillars on a BMW and get them back to Piano black. What's the best way of protecting them?

I used Carpro Dlux on the Passat Pillars, I used Migliore Forte on the Ateca.
    While it helps, it is not a full solution.

vectra wrote: »
    I used Carpro Dlux on the Passat Pillars, I used Migliore Forte on the Ateca.
    While it helps, it is not a full solution.

Hoping will polish out with the mini polisher, and then apply some C4 (if I can do that on that material)

Piano black trim is a absolute pain. Would it be best to apply ppf to it or just apply a coating

Hoping will polish out with the mini polisher, and then apply some C4 (if I can do that on that material)

I've machine polished mine a few times, it never lasts long, you just have to look at them sideways and they are all marred up. This despite 2BW, not touching them and all the rest.

That's almost precisely what I did.
    Now it is back to swirley again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how do i get rid of these type of marks, its like harden tar or something

tar2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

fryup wrote: »
    how do i get rid of these type of marks, its like harden tar or something

tar2.jpg

Underground car park???

It looks like a lime deposit to me. CarPro Spotless or Gtechniq Water Spot Remover are the type of products you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

where can i purchase them in ireland? p&p has gone through the roof on amazon

Gtechniq Water Spot Remover from D&D in Cork

CarPro Spotless from Reflect Auto Care in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Zylias

Washed and waxed the car this weekend and noticed this above the rear window on the panel.

It looks like fading from suncream perhaps would anyone know if a machine polish would fix this as I want to send the car in to be detailed soon

Dull spot https://imgur.com/a/fRhh9c5

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Zylias wrote: »
    Washed and waxed the car this weekend and noticed this above the rear window on the panel.

It looks like fading from suncream perhaps would anyone know if a machine polish would fix this as I want to send the car in to be detailed soon

Dull spot https://imgur.com/a/fRhh9c5

I'm afraid to say, possible worst case, lacquer starting to lift... Reds are notorious....

Detailer should be able to sand back and blend.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Zylias

I was hoping that's not the case. As it will probably start to take over the whole car will it?

Zylias wrote: »
    I was hoping that's not the case. As it will probably start to take over the whole car will it?

That's what happened my red car years ago. T-Cut that wasn't removed correctly ate through the laquer. It was a small spot. Then a big spot. Could you sand, prime, spray, and then hit it with some 2k clear coat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I want to go over rubber seals on the car, the most simple thing I can use is glycerine. What you are using to keep them flexible, avoid going dry?

Advertisement