Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

padyjoe wrote: »
    I want to go over rubber seals on the car, the most simple thing I can use is glycerine. What you are using to keep them flexible, avoid going dry?

Gummi pledge or AG vinyl and rubber care are both excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Zylias wrote: »
    I was hoping that's not the case. As it will probably start to take over the whole car will it?

Worst case yes but your far from that.

Best is shade as much as possible, treat it with a good sealant, wax or ceramic etc this will help in many cases.

As you getting detailed see if they can sort for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

vectra wrote: »
    That's almost precisely what I did.
    Now it is back to swirley again.

Looks like no good solution then. If there's scratches after polishing the pillars and putting C4 on them, what hope have we.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭vectra

myshirt wrote: »
    Looks like no good solution then. If there's scratches after polishing the pillars and putting C4 on them, what hope have we.

PPF as someone suggested.

vectra wrote: »
    PPF as someone suggested.

I can picture myself slicing into the trim as I try cut the ppf :D ... unless I can make a template... but it's a good idea. Polish them up and then put them under a layer.

Was looking for a product for the interior plastic trim also. Zaino have a plastic polish product which I didn't even know existed, despite all the time Zaino are around. Koch K seem to have a product too.

As is the problem with detailing... I'll end up buying them all! :)

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    I can picture myself slicing into the trim as I try cut the ppf :D ... unless I can make a template... but it's a good idea. Polish them up and then put them under a layer.

Was looking for a product for the interior plastic trim also. Zaino have a plastic polish product which I didn't even know existed, despite all the time Zaino are around. Koch K seem to have a product too.

As is the problem with detailing... I'll end up buying them all! :)

Ah, I think you would have to be really careless or clumsy tocut into the trim. :pac:

Often pondered using Zaino products but always seemed to go other directions.

The slippery sloap of detailing, " suddenly need every product we see" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭limnam

Anyone use a no rinse wash to prepare before washing the car?

If so anything you recommend that can be got in Ireland?

Almost impossible to source Autosmart Tardis. Stuff must be rightly toxic. No one will ship.

On a separate note, looking for a good tar remover and fallout remover that's safe to run off on chrome, plastic, rubbers. Obviously wouldn't let it dry, but it would run off while dwelling. I've an 8 year old Audi to wash that I'd say has never ever been washed, decontaminated, or clayed. But amazingly there is a mark of what looks like oil (or a tar remover!) on the wing mirrors. Some heavy chemical anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

CarPro Tar X now has fallout remover in it so it removes tar along with bonded contaminants. Gtechniq Tar and Glue remover is also another option.

I never really like Tardis. I found that it always dried up very quickly before I got a chance to do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You'll be best to get tardis off an auto smart rep, it's good but more of a quick job trade product. Spray, wipe and it evaporates. A lot safer options out there now

• Advertisement

PsychoPete wrote: »
    You'll be best to get tardis off an auto smart rep, it's good but more of a quick job trade product. Spray, wipe and it evaporates. A lot safer options out there now

It's cheap though, about 35 euro for 5L.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Personal favourite for dreaded tar is Vasco mighty stuff the longer it's left on the more effective it is.

Seen reflect auto care doing 25% off everything this weekend with code REFLECT25 except for electrical stuff, might be of interest to some of ye

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Manutd623

Hi all,

I’m thinking of buying a dual action polisher. What would be the best machine for a beginner? What polish and pads would you recommend for doing a single stage polish?

Thanks in advance

Is everyone else's car absolutely destroyed in bugs and flies in this hot weather? My front grille and my wing mirrors got absolutely hammered. Nearly four hits of AF Citrus and probably only 50% removed, and that was after light agitation.

Proceeded to use some VP Citrus neat on a microfiber to spot treat. Still not there. I'll need something better. Probably have to claybar it at this point!

What is everyone using for big removal? If someone can recommend a reliable product I'm gonna buy 10 litres and pour it over the car!

How long is a piece of string... the general principle is to start with the least aggressive option and then step it up gradually.

Get yourself a basic DA (Dual Action) polisher. You can't go wrong with that really. Make sure your car is washed and decontaminated and also know you won't knock it out in a weekend, this is a bit by bit job and it's back breaking work at times but thoroughly enjoyable. Check out Chemical Guys polish and pad combos. Maybe that's a good entry point. One of the lads here will know better but there is literally a million and one options when you get deep into this rabbit hole.

Everyone has there favourite polish and pads, I use a forced rotation or rotary polisher with menzerna polishes and shinemate pads. You often see the likes of the das6 polishers,250ml polishes and pads included in the one kit which might be a good buy for someone starting out

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Manutd623

Thanks, ya I have all the other equipment for washing, claying etc. Always keep my car clean but have never polished before, just have to buy a polisher and pads, was thinking of getting the das pro 6 but seems to out of stock on most sites. Will take a look at the chemical guys stuff. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Hi all,

I used to use a guy on here's shop, Curran or Curren I think, looks like that's gone, is there a place ye'd recommend these days? Autopia any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭high horse

I ordered from Autopia once, never again. They substitute things without consulting the customer, the order took ages to arrive. I would order from D&D instead

Thanks @high horse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yea, Detailing Shed was currans shop,it was a great spot. I find Reflect Autocare very good as an alternative..they're a sound bunch up in Dublin. Gave good few recommendations when drove into em.

Autopia were a bit of a disaster when I used them, I use D&D,wash me and reflect auto care now

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭rodge123

Applied Collinite 845 to the car about a month ago out of curiosity. Usually used C2V3.

Good bit of driving done the last month and was amazed how clean it still looked (wheels were fairly manky alright)

Washed it today and it was so easy, was good beading after rinsing off the Bilt Hamber snow foam.

Little less beading rinsing off Bilt Hamber hand wash.

Car is shining again after wash. Looks like still wax on it.

Definitely seems to repel dirt better than the c2v3 for me.

How long it lasts, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what's the best method of getting hardened tree sap off bodywork? used various sprays none of them effective😕

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pafro

which Bilt Hamber foam did you use? auto-foam or touch-less?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pafro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭rodge123

Advertisement