Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

22.5 years isn't actually all that bad for Chauvin. I was expecting 40 years. Could be reduced further also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

22.5 years isn't actually all that bad for Chauvin. I was expecting 40 years. Could be reduced further also.

40 wasn't even an option. Double what the last cop murderer got in that state.

It'll be a long stint either being in isolation or watching his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think its a tragic case but i dont think he intended for George to die. Id view it more in the manslaughter domain. He was grossly negligent but that in my mind does not equate with the intent necessary for murder. I think he is a scapegoat for the wider movement looking for retribution. Thats not justice in mind.

According to the law in the USA, not all degrees of murder specify a conscious intent to kill. It can be an act of violence which is on the spur of the moment or accidental.

Police officers who abuse their authority and commit crimes while acting as police officers should get especially harsh sentences applicable to those crimes, because they are the very people we're supposed to trust with upholding the law, and unlawfulness should be tolerated the least from these people. In American courts, police officers involved in controversial incidents can get off the charges if there is reasonable context to qualify their actions, but if that is not forthcoming, then I see no reason not to throw the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I thought it should be around 25 so would be fine with 22.5.

Whether or not he can survive that time inside is another thing, as a copper he will be a marked man.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Whether or not he can survive that time inside is another thing, as a copper he will be a marked man.

I'm sure he'll have lots of GOP supporters "thoughts and prayers" to keeps him safe, they seem to work wonders /s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

briany wrote: »
    According to the law in the USA, not all degrees of murder specify a conscious intent to kill. It can be an act of violence which is on the spur of the moment or accidental.

Police officers who abuse their authority and commit crimes while acting as police officers should get especially harsh sentences applicable to those crimes, because they are the very people we're supposed to trust with upholding the law, and unlawfulness should be tolerated the least from these people. In American courts, police officers involved in controversial incidents can get off the charges if there is reasonable context to qualify their actions, but if that is not forthcoming, then I see no reason not to throw the book.

I think there is also something called the egg shell rule. Where basically it is described as such you and another person fight. Unknown to both he has a weakened skull due to some disease let's say. Due to this you kill him where normally you would not from a punch. You are still responsible for the death regardless of the person's disease or intent

• Registered Users Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

In the light of this sentence, would everyone be satisfied that any person found guilty of killing another person - black or white - in America gets at least 22 years in jail.

Will shooting somebody in the chest or kicking them in the head be treated differently to kneeling on someomes head.

Interesting to see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,216 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think its a tragic case but i dont think he intended for George to die. Id view it more in the manslaughter domain. He was grossly negligent but that in my mind does not equate with the intent necessary for murder. I think he is a scapegoat for the wider movement looking for retribution. Thats not justice in mind.

If they could prove he intended to kill Floyd he would have been found guilty of Murder 1 not the Murder 2 charge he was found guilty of. In that case he would be doing life not 22.5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I thought it should be around 25 so would be fine with 22.5.

Pretty sure cops are always kept separate from general population in prison. Also he'll be out probably in 10-15 with good behaviour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

obi604 wrote: »
    What do ye reckon Derek Chauvin means by this:

“There's gonna be some other information in the future that would be of interest, and I hope things will give you some peace of mind”

It's a pathetic attempt by him to present himself as something other than the racist murderer that he is.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's a pathetic attempt by him to present himself as something other than the racist murderer that he is.

Could be something to do with the trial of the other three officers next year. There wasn't a lot of mention of them or their actions during Chauvin's trial, likely as it would then influence their trial.

Not that I think it actually changes anything, but I'm sure at this point Chauvin will try anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,690 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Penn wrote: »
    Could be something to do with the trial of the other three officers next year. There wasn't a lot of mention of them or their actions during Chauvin's trial, likely as it would then influence their trial.

Not that I think it actually changes anything, but I'm sure at this point Chauvin will try anything.

Yes RTEs correspondent or Reporter in the US said the same.
    I hope Derick Chauvin serves at least 22 years in prison. Even when he gets out he can never go back to being a police officer anyway so his whole life is ruined and he has only himself to blame for it. The World even America will change a lot in 22 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

It’s a sad day for the US. I’d bet there’s a lot of folks looking at Chauvin’s sentence and thinking to themselves “well if I can’t indiscriminately kill black people then I don’t want to be a cop anymore”.

How are they gonna keep the peace if less racists join the police force?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,748 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Smee_Again wrote: »
    It’s a sad day for the US. I’d bet there’s a lot of folks looking at Chauvin’s sentence and thinking to themselves “well if I can’t indiscriminately kill black people then I don’t want to be a cop anymore”.

How are they gonna keep the peace if less racists join the police force?

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Nah, he ain't. I'd literally have a party if this somehow gets turned around on appeal. Is that bad or?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭Penn

nj27 wrote: »
    Nah, he ain't. I'd literally have a party if this somehow gets turned around on appeal. Is that bad or?

You'd literally have a party?

You're gonna offend the usual suspects now...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Unlike seemly a majority of posters, I've studied law. This result both at a procedural level and subsequentent sentencing is an example of a railroaded verdict that has more in common with a politicised show-trial than an excercise in justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Manach wrote: »
    Unlike seemly a majority of posters, I've studied law. This result both at a procedural level and subsequentent sentencing is an example of a railroaded verdict that has more in common with a politicised show-trial than an excercise in justice.
    You'd best let Chauvin know right away. This could be just the break he's looking for.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Well I also have a background in law and I couldn't disagree more. It's as clear as day.

• Advertisement

He's attempted to get a retrial and failed so I imagine the judge who has also studied law does not agree with you. There just seems to be every effort to reject the outcome as illegitimate. The defence failed to provide any credible defence and I'd suspect that's a big factor.

It's really predictable which posters tend to get upset by the result by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Sand wrote: »
    This is where your ideological indoctrination has brought us. You'll see BLM buring cities down and dragging people out of cars to beat them and think this is peaceful protest. You'll see unarmed Ashli Babbitt get gunned down and think she was a violent terrorist bringing down the US government.

Name a city that burned down in the US this century

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

He's attempted to get a retrial and failed so I imagine the judge who has also studied law does not agree with you. There just seems to be every effort to reject the outcome as illegitimate. The defence failed to provide any credible defence and I'd suspect that's a big factor.

It's really predictable which posters tend to get upset by the result by the way.

And its really predictable the type of posters who like to ramble on especially about issues they don't have the first clue about. Trying to come across as woke/sjws. Often they don't know the first thing about real life

And its really predictable the type of posters who like to ramble on especially about issues they don't have the first clue about. Trying to come across as woke/sjws. Often they don't know the first thing about real life

Cool, Jim...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Good man Jim and all your infinite wisdom

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

While it's a decent result I would have preferred he got longer, ah well I suppose that long locked away in a segregation unit will give him plenty of time to reflect on his actions.

Im no fan of the online left but look lads, kneeling on a fellas neck for nine minutes on camera as he tells you he cannot breathe is not the hill i would choose to die on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,690 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So sad seeing George Floyd's little daughter talking about her Daddy. The poor girl is far too young to comprehend what has happened at 7 years of age but give her another 7 and she will either come to hate Derrick Chauvin or forgive him but I think it will be the former which is a terrible thing but what he done is just unforgivable and even do George Floyd was no angel he did not deserve to die the way he did. No one deserves that. To die a slow painful death was a horrible way to die. He did not deserve what happened to him so Derrick Chauvin deserves every year of hell that is coming to him and I hope the years are long and boring for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭Tork

I listened to one of Pat Kenny's podcasts from yesterday morning and his US correspondent thought Chauvin would get somewhere in the region of 25 years. So although he got a bit less than that in the end, it's broadly in line with what is normally handed out anyway.

• Advertisement

Im no fan of the online left but look lads, kneeling on a fellas neck for nine minutes on camera as he tells you he cannot breathe is not the hill i would choose to die on

Yeah. Even if he'd been kneeling on a potentially violent, struggling suspect for that long it would have been much less black and white. But he kept kneeling on a handcuffed man past the point of him stopping moving and past the point of him losing consciousness, past the point of realising that Floyd was in need of emergency medical help, and past the point that another officer tried and failed to find a pulse.

Advertisement