Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,378 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Swaine wrote: »
    That's mental. Hopefully he appeals that successfully.

Totally unjust sentence IMO.

Its a bit short but it was expected to be between 20 and 25 so not too far off.

Turns out cops aren't actually allowed murder black people for funsies in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭Sand

We live in a world where OJ Simpson served 0 years for a murder everyone knows he committed, the guy who shot dead the unarmed Ashli Babbitt was never even charged and Chauvin is condemned for 22.5 years for a walking heartattack keeling over under restraint.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Chauvin's statement was interesting
    "Due to some additional legal matters at hand, I’m not able to give a full formal statement at this time," Derek Chauvin says, speaking to the court for the first time.

"Very briefly though, I do want to give my condolences to the Floyd family.

"There's going to be some other information in the future that would be of interest - and I hope things will give you some peace of mind - thank you," he concludes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Sand wrote: »
    We live in a world where OJ Simpson served 0 years for a murder everyone knows he committed, the guy who shot dead the unarmed Ashli Babbitt was never even charged and Chauvin is condemned for 22.5 years for a walking heartattack keeling over under restraint.

Indeed. Unjust.

Weird, usual suspects annoyed by sentencing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭francois

Good. Next time some power tripper with a badge and gun may think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

And the whataboutery begins here :rolleyes:

22 years is a good sentence, that'll learn him not to kill people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A - Ashli Babbit was taking part in a violent insurrection and attempting to enter an area in which elected representatives were located and refused to stop doing so when instructed to by the officer who shot her.

B - What part of Floyd keeling over led to Chauvin landing on top of his neck with his knee and staying there for over 8 minutes?

You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭francois

Much saltiness from the usual suspects

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Will BLM start focusing on the main cause of murdered Black people now : other Black people?

• Advertisement

francois wrote: »
    Much saltiness from the usual suspects

Ashli Babbit being held up as a victim is new.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought it be more 30 or 40 :o

For what he was charged max was 30 thought about 20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its a bit short but it was expected to be between 20 and 25 so not too far off.

Turns out cops aren't actually allowed murder black people for funsies in America.

The sad truth this prosecution wouldn't have gone anywhere if every excruciating second wasn't caught on camera.

The police officer's initial lies would have been accepted and the whole thing brushed under the carpet, like it likely has been thousands of times.

My opinions and the facts tend to align.

Lets face it, your A and B contradict. In A the LEO is okay to kill an unarmed person who doesn't follow instructions. In B the LEO is a monster for restraining a person who doesn't follow instructions. But look, in your ideological indoctrination I'm sure it makes sense.

Weird, usual suspects annoyed by sentencing.

They're just 'concerned citizens' who are miffed that the police are no longer able to kill black people and get away with it

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Will BLM start focusing on the main cause of murdered Black people now : other Black people?

This is how you're choosing to respond to the conviction of a police officer who killed a black man by kneeling on his neck for 9 minutes while handcuffed?

A - Ashli Babbit was taking part in a violent insurrection and attempting to enter an area in which elected representatives were located and refused to stop doing so when instructed to by the officer who shot her.

B - What part of Floyd keeling over led to Chauvin landing on top of his neck with his knee and staying there for over 8 minutes?

I'd add to that, if OJ was caught on tape carrying out the murders he would have found guilty too.

All three cases are completely different, the OP trying to compare them is wild but expected.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

lemon.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Most black people that murder other black people are brought to justice. Not so with the vast majority of police who kill black people. These things are not the same. Read a book.

Isnt it just. She was lucky she only got one bullet for trying to attack Congress. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Maybe in relation to George Floyd but there are plenty if it's ever brought up are up in arms. Saying the police started it let them in etc and given she is a veterans she deserves justice

Lets face it, your A and B contradict. In A the LEO is okay to kill an unarmed person who doesn't follow instructions. In B the LEO is a monster for restraining a person who doesn't follow instructions. But look, in your ideological indoctrination I'm sure it makes sense.

Looking at things through the lens of your own ideological indoctrination is leading you to think that an ongoing insurrection attempt is comparable with being questioned by police over an alleged non-violent offence.

Try again.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Isnt it just. She was lucky she only got one bullet for trying to attack Congress. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

She mustve thought she was just taking an innocent tour of the place :pac:

Kneeling on a handcuffed man's neck for 9 minutes versus breaking trying to break into a room with the VP in it during the invasion of a Capitol building.... The same VP who half of Trump's supporters are treating as some sort of a traitor so reasonable reason to think she was a threat. Honestly the fact you can't see the difference says more about you I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Just watched the video again. Chauvin 100% wanted him out cold, even when Flyod's bladder released, even when health professionals told him things weren't good, even when the paramedics arrived he didn't cease to grind Floyds neck on to the tarmac with his knee.

What was he thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Muahahaha wrote: »
    She just wanted a chat with her representatives iirc

Fantastic statement from George's sister Bridgett Floyd IMO. Highlights my own - where she is putting on notice those who pledge and commit resources and accept the plaudits for same but don't always follow through... Same applies in many areas - LGBTQ support comes to mind this month.

“The sentence handed down today to the Minneapolis police officer who killed my brother George Floyd shows that matters of police brutality are finally being taken seriously. However, we have a long way to go and many changes to make before Black and Brown people finally feel like they are being treated fairly and humanely by law enforcement in this country.

Our focus at the George Floyd Memorial Foundation will now move to building support to ensure that the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act becomes law and brings with it the hope for the substantive change that we need so desperately in this country.

We will keep George’s memory alive by ensuring high school students and law school students have every opportunity to succeed by providing much-needed scholarships and other financial assistance. We will honor George’s commitment to those less fortunate by providing acts of service and support in communities around the country.

These efforts will take resources, however, so we will continue to work to secure financial commitments from many of the corporate entities who were so vocal about providing support for racial diversity and equality following my brother’s death.

Our work at the George Floyd Memorial Foundation has only just begun because the fight for justice is far from over.”

Looking at things through the lens of your own ideological indoctrination is leading you to think that an ongoing insurrection attempt is comparable with being questioned by police over an alleged non-violent offence.

Try again.

Ongoing insurrection? Who indoctrinated you to believe that?

Ongoing insurrection? Who indoctrinated you to believe that?

We watched it live kid.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Just watched the video again. Chauvin 100% wanted him out cold, even when Flyod's bladder released, even when health professionals told him things weren't good, even when the paramedics arrived he didn't cease to grind Floyds neck on to the tarmac with his knee.

What was he thinking?

The same core disgusting thing the people who are still defending here him think - Floyd's life didn't matter.

Advertisement