Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think it's fair, would rather see a 30 year sentence for the murder but 22 is justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

AMKC wrote: »
    So sad seeing George Floyd's little daughter talking about her Daddy. The poor girl is far too young to comprehend what has happened at 7 years of age but give her another 7 and she will either come to hate Derrick Chauvin or forgive him but I think it will be the former which is a terrible thing but what he done is just unforgivable and even do George Floyd was no angel he did not deserve to die the way he did. No one deserves that. To die a slow painful death was a horrible way to die. He did not deserve what happened to him so Derrick Chauvin deserves every year of hell that is coming to him and I hope the years are long and boring for him.

What George Floyd did in the years, months and days leading up his final moment doesn't really come into it anyway because the whole thing is about a police officer failing to show duty of care to a restrained suspect, and not only failing to show it but doing so over an extended period with time to think about what was happening. This is, at best, gross negligence, and would be equally as wrong whatever the race of the victim, and whatever the criminal history of the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

briany wrote: »
    What George Floyd did in the years, months and days leading up his final moment doesn't really come into it anyway because the whole thing is about a police officer failing to show duty of care to a restrained suspect, and not only failing to show it but doing so over an extended period with time to think about what was happening. This is, at best, gross negligence, and would be equally as wrong whatever the race of the victim, and whatever the criminal history of the victim.

Yet, we are reminded of what a wonderful person he was and how badly missed he will be. When plenty of people who had the misfortune to deal with his crimes may beg to disagree with that narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yea and I agree totally. Would he have done it do if George Floyd had of been white? I would say probably not. How Derrick Chauvin did not think about what he was doing when he was doing it or how he justified what he was doing I would like to know. We probably never will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Yea and I agree totally. Would he have done it do if George Floyd had of been white? I would say probably not. How Derrick Chauvin did not think about what he was doing when he was doing it or how he justified what he was doing I would like to know. We probably never will do.

and still stats are showing how white people killed by cops are higher than blacks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Same sentence as Anders Breivik.

Give or take a year.

It's a pathetic attempt by him to present himself as something other than the racist murderer that he is.

And that rhetoric is why we can't talk like grown ups.

It's a pathetic attempt by him to present himself as something other than the racist murderer that he is.
    You're gonna offend the usual suspects now...
    And that rhetoric is why we can't talk like grown ups.

That one was just for you Mike. I'm a usual suspect, but I'm not offended. I just don't understand where racism poked it's ugly head in.

Racist murderer......

Racist.....

Murderer.....

I understand he murdered someone so I get the murderer bit.

Racist............

Is it because he was black?

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Yet, we are reminded of what a wonderful person he was and how badly missed he will be. When plenty of people who had the misfortune to deal with his crimes may beg to disagree with that narrative

Reminded by who? If you're talking about online or on the news, it has no real bearing on the case and you can ignore it if you so choose. In court, if we're talking about testimony pertaining to the character of Chauvin or Floyd, the defence is as free to bring witnesses to talk about this as the prosecution is, so no-one really gets a monopoly on how to characterise either man in the place where it actually counts.

and still stats are showing how white people killed by cops are higher than blacks

And you're trying to divert attention from Chauvin who has been tried and convicted...
    That one was just for you Mike. I'm a usual suspect, but I'm not offended. I just don't understand where racism poked it's ugly head in.

Racist murderer......

Racist.....

Murderer.....

Racist............

Not my problem if you're taking personal offence when I didn't mention you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Numerically, not proportionally. That's the point.

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793
    Fig. 2 displays the ratio of lifetime risk for each racial–ethnic group relative to risk for whites for both men and women. Note that a rate ratio of 1 indicates equality in mortality risk relative to whites. The highest levels of inequality in mortality risk are experienced by black men. Black men are about 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police over the life course than are white men. Black women are about 1.4 times more likely to be killed by police than are white women.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Racist murderer......

Racist.....

Murderer.....

Racist............

I love this guy's inflated sense of self importance icon14.png

Not my problem if you're taking personal offence when I didn't mention you. :)

Not your problem at all. Never meant to say it was. It's a fact that when you say "usual suspects" , I am included in that demographic due to your historic posting.

I just wanted you to know I accept it and (still) refute the fact that you deem me as a racist.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    I love this guy's inflated sense of self importance icon14.png

Good to know Billy. I'm not important. Not in the slightest.

Do you think I am one of "the usual suspects" or should I just assume you mean others? Is it just a way of shutting down people who don't agree with your view that this was a racist situation? For fear of becoming a "usual suspect"?

I'm uneasy with, and feel it is exceptionally inflammatory to call chauvin a racist and to deem to death of Floyd as a racist murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not your problem at all. Never meant to say it was. It's a fact that when you say "usual suspects" , I am included in that demographic due to your historic posting.

I just wanted you to know I accept it and (still) refute the fact that you deem me as a racist.

This is the second thread in little over a week in which you are defending yourself from being accused of being a racist (even though that wasn't done in either case).

If you can assume someone is thinking something based on their historical posting, do you not think they can assume an opinion of you based on yours?

We have no way of knowing what would have happened if the suspect had been white, to be fair.

What I do think, though, is that if the incident had not been filmed, it would have simply been chalked up as another day in the naked city, and Chauvin would still be in a police uniform rather than a prison one.

We have no way of knowing what would have happened if the suspect had been white, to be fair.

What I do think, though, is that if the incident had not been filmed, it would have simply been chalked up as another day in the naked city, and Chauvin would still be in a police uniform rather than a prison one.

Will Smith said it, 'Racism isn't getting worse, it's getting filmed'.

Link

Will Smith said it, 'Racism isn't getting worse, it's getting filmed'.

Link

I agree with that

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Good thing someone caught him in the act then, isn’t it?

This is the second thread in little over a week in which you are defending yourself from being accused of being a racist (even though that wasn't done in either case).

If you can assume someone is thinking something based on their historical posting, do you not think they can assume an opinion of you based on yours?

Absolutely they can.

But again, the fact that someone can call this a racist murder and it to go unchallenged, and even supported, is a little worrying.

• Advertisement

Absolutely they can.

But again, the fact that someone can call this a racist murder and it to go unchallenged, and even supported, is a little worrying.

But by that logic, as long as the perpetrator of a crime doesn't say anything overtly racist, or doesn't have any symbols or history of anything racist linked to him, then they could never be accused of being racially motivated. But they could still be racist, they just keep it hidden.
    My problem with this is that it is effectively telling racially motivated people that 'just don't make it obvious', and they can still carry on being motivated and acting in such a way.

Now, if you feel that Chauvin was not personally racially motivated, then it seems logical to ask why he behaved as he did, and that (which is why so much public outcry emerged from this incident) leads the conversation towards the concept of systemic racism.

Maybe Chauvin behaved as he had been shown to behave when dealing with these types of calls, in this part of town, or with this type of suspect. That is the principle and concern behind systemic racism, not that new individuals are indoctrinated in the logic behind white supremacy or anything but simply that they are tacitly trained to act in certain situations in a certain way which could be prejudicial and excessive towards those in particular circumstances.

But when people ask that police forces review their practices and ensure that this is not happening, they get uber defensive and say (as you are kind of doing) that they are being accused of being some form of white supremacist.

But by that logic, as long as the perpetrator of a crime doesn't say anything overtly racist, or doesn't have any symbols or history of anything racist linked to him, then they could never be accused of being racially motivated. But they could still be racist, they just keep it hidden.
    My problem with this is that it is effectively telling racially motivated people that 'just don't make it obvious', and they can still carry on being motivated and acting in such a way.

Chauvin may have been a racist. I don't know.

But to let people claim that he is a racist murderer and for it to go unchallenged or tacitly accepted is disgusting.

Using the "well he may have been a secret racist" defense is ridiculous.

Nothing in any footage released, or evidence given in court has shown this to be a racially motivated murder. The fact that people are okay with it being used as tinder to spark a racial flame is horrible in my opinion.

Chauvin may have been a racist. I don't know.

But to let people claim that he is a racist murderer and for it to go unchallenged or tacitly accepted is disgusting.

Using the "well he may have been a secret racist" defense is ridiculous.

Nothing in any footage released, or evidence given in court has shown this to be a racially motivated murder. The fact that people are okay with it being used as tinder to spark a racial flame is horrible in my opinion.

But you, and several others, here and publicly are challenging it..... Repeatedly.

Your last point just reiterates the message, 'don't make it obvious, and nothing you do can be called racist'.

That, to me, is giving racists a pass and I find that more disgusting than looking at what happened in this incident and not wondering what was the motivation behind it.

But you, and several others, here and publicly are challenging it..... Repeatedly.

Your last point just reiterates the message, 'don't make it obvious, and nothing you do can be called racist'.

That, to me, is giving racists a pass and I find that more disgusting than looking at what happened in this incident and not wondering what was the motivation behind it.

Well that's where opinions differ. I find you making this or even allowing the implication that this was a racist murder ultimately more disgusting.

Racism is a huge part of my life and something I am passionate about and something I advocate against.

Well that's where opinions differ. I find you making this or even allowing the implication that this was a racist murder ultimately more disgusting.

Racism is a huge part of my life and something I am passionate about and something I advocate against.
    :rolleyes: You're involved in topics on a regular basis where you get annoyed by any highlighting of racism. Eg you're the type of person who would be annoyed by the statement that systemic racism is an issue in the US police force. So shout that you're the biggest advocate against racism etc. It's just not very visible in your posts.

Again, I don't think you'll find a post of me saying that this was definitely a racist murder in terms of what was going on in Chauvins head on that day.

But I repeat, I think it is evidence, of an ingrained style of applying policing which has likely been inculcated over a sustained period within which the practices for how police officers view certain situations and how to act when confronted with them has been prejudicially unfair towards a particular class of people.

Now, if racism is a big part of your life, and I'm not saying it isn't, and you truly advocate against it then I find it strange your vehement opposition to any those who are publicly advocating against racism (whether that be kneeling footballers or BLM protesters) and effectively saying that there is no merit in them doing so unless there is clear and irrefutable evidence of a racist motivation in each and every incident in which it may have been a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Not sure anyone is buying the end of that statement.

Your constant downplaying of racism on this site would imply otherwise.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Apart from when it's white people (as deranged as they are) aiming it at our Tanaiste.

You are nowhere to be seen when something like that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Maybe Chauvin behaved as he had been shown to behave when dealing with these types of calls, in this part of town, or with this type of suspect. That is the principle and concern behind systemic racism, not that new individuals are indoctrinated in the logic behind white supremacy or anything but simply that they are tacitly trained to act in certain situations in a certain way which could be prejudicial and excessive towards those in particular circumstances.

Maybe, but those arguing that this is an example of systemic racism still have to argue their case, rather than just assert it. I've never seen any evidence presented of either direct or systemic racism playing a part in the killing.

Just because a crime happens and there is a difference between the perpetrator and the victim (different skin colour, sex, nationality, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc), that doesn't mean the crime occurred because of, or the perpetrator was motivated by, that difference.

It's a possiblity, for sure, but the argument still needs to be made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Lol you're calling people here indoctrinated whilst at the same time claiming the Capital Riots as non violent, well there was 140 injured police officers who would disagree with you

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/police-union-says-140-officers-injured-in-capitol-riot/2021/01/27/60743642-60e2-11eb-9430-e7c77b5b0297_story.html

You should really get your head out of those far right websites and read the proper news

:D

Proper news, brought to you by a capitalist oligarch.

Advertisement