Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hhhhh wrote: »
    I gave a hypothetical like you asked:

Maybe if you weren't so quick jumping to conclusions you would've read my post.

Where have I claimed there is no evidence of individual racism in police forces? More conclusion jumping, and this based off literally two interactions, considering you 'don't remember' our last ones.

I already answered you question, see above.

What's this got to do with police being trained to be racist, or being trained to engage in racist activities?

Which is not evidence of 'systematic racism'.

No, when these people engage in racism, as per your example above, they get fired. The answer, which is what you are doing, is assuming every perceived negative encounter a black person has with the police, particularly if the policeman is white, is a result of racism. What percentage of the police would you estimate are racists, because you must believe it to be quite high?

Todd Wright wasn't fired. Maybe you should take more time to read posts also. And your view that this is not evidence of systemic racism is choosing to not look at the likely reality of someone with such views being in a position of authority over other police officers.

I expect that a large number of the nearly 18,000 police forces in America are likely to have engrained elements which are rooted in prejudiced views and actions being carried out against some people in the communities in which they police.

And no, I am not saying that every police force or officer is racist, or that the exact, irrefutable figure is possible to determine, I am saying that because there are some action is needed, you are saying that because there are unknowns, everyone should get the benefit of the doubt until they categorically prove that they are so.

Joe Arpaio also a great element of racist law enforcement that the former president pardoned and used use for campaigning purposes.

Exactly.

Refused to stop racial profiling and when convicted for disobeying the court order for doing so, the President of the country pardoned him.

The same President who police force unions came out in support of and who aligned himself with a racist organization.

Todd Wright wasn't fired. Maybe you should take more time to read posts also. And your view that this is not evidence of systemic racism is choosing to not look at the likely reality of someone with such views being in a position of authority over other police officers.

No, it's accepting that one racist individual doesn't make a system racist. He 'resigned' in the sense that had he not resigned he would've been fired.
    I expect that a large number of the nearly 18,000 police forces in America are likely to have engrained elements which are rooted in prejudiced views and actions being carried out against some people in the communities in which they police.

And no, I am not saying that every police force or officer is racist, or that the exact, irrefutable figure is possible to determine, I am saying that because there are some action is needed, you are saying that because there are unknowns, everyone should get the benefit of the doubt until they categorically prove that they are so.
    I'm not suggesting you are saying every police officer is racist, I don't know why you felt to add that. I'm asking you to give a guesstimate as to what proportion you suspect are.

As regards to yours last point. Yes, people should get the benefit of the doubt, less they have some sort of dubious history themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well this is gas. Chauvin is arguing he be sentenced to time already served for murdering George Floyd because, “ his lack of criminal history, his amenability to probation, to the unusual facts of this case, and to his being a product of a ‘broken’ system.

Absolutely hilarious. I didn’t get qualified immunity so the system is broken help meeeee

https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/live-trials-current/george-floyd-death/convicted-murderer-derek-chauvin-says-he-should-get-probation-instead-of-prison-because-the-system-is-broken/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Overheal wrote: »
    Well this is gas. Chauvin is arguing he be sentenced to time already served for murdering George Floyd because, “ his lack of criminal history, his amenability to probation, to the unusual facts of this case, and to his being a product of a ‘broken’ system.

Absolutely hilarious. I didn’t get qualified immunity so the system is broken help meeeee

https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/live-trials-current/george-floyd-death/convicted-murderer-derek-chauvin-says-he-should-get-probation-instead-of-prison-because-the-system-is-broken/

Well, he's pulling the same argument that "oppressed" people are using when looking for excuses to their misbehavior

• Advertisement

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Well, he's pulling the same argument that "oppressed" people are using when looking for excuses to their misbehavior

Quite the opposite, arguing that the system was too broken to defend murder by badge.

Overheal wrote: »
    Quite the opposite, arguing that the system was too broken to defend murder by badge.

Same argument, broken system makes people criminals
    He has a point

He has a point

So do you agree with him and would support calls for the reform of policing in the US?

He has a point

the system didn't make him choke that guy out. The system urged him to put Floyd in the recovery position - so did at least one of the other officers on scene, along with a dozen or so bystanders. The only thing the system did was call him out for a fake $20, it was his call to escalate it to murder.

If he means something else is broken he should be more specific.

Let's be clear, I'm not in favor of de-funding the police, more cops would be the better options for certain neighborhoods
    But I do appreciate the irony of Chauvin pulling the exact same argument about the failed system that makes people criminals, because that's the same argument used to defend drug dealers, looters and the likes.

• Advertisement

So do you agree with him and would support calls for the reform of policing in the US?

that's not what I said
    he has a point in pulling the same logic

that's not what I said

I didn't say you said anything, I asked a question.

If you think he has a point, you must think the system needs to be reformed, or it is ok as it is.

Which is it?

that's not what I said

Except the strength of his argument in this case is incredibly weak..

Except the strength of his argument in this case is incredibly weak..

it's weak in both cases, that's why he pulled it

I didn't say you said anything, I asked a question.

If you think he has a point, you must think the system needs to be reformed, or it is ok as it is.

Which is it?

I stand by what I said, but I admire your ability to project

I stand by what I said, but I admire your ability to project

And your ability to recognize the corner you backed yourself in to and are now refusing to give an opinion one way or the other.

And your ability to recognize the corner you backed yourself in to and are now refusing to give an opinion one way or the other.

I dont owe you an opinion, you can like or dislike what i say
    But i admire your imagination

I dont owe you an opinion, you can like or dislike what i say
    But i admire your imagination

You don't know how discussions work either it seems.
    Or else I am correct in my assumption.

You don't know how discussions work either it seems.
    Or else I am correct in my assumption.

whichever floats your boat mate

whichever floats your boat mate

So what changes do you think would be a good place to start so that cops stop feeling that the system as it is leads them to carry out some acts which they might have been told are appropriate but are clearly not.

If you were chief of a police force or Mayor of a city, how would you go about making these changes?

• Advertisement

So what changes do you think would be a good place to start so that cops stop feeling that the system as it is leads them to carry out some acts which they might have been told are appropriate but are clearly not.

If you were chief of a police force or Mayor of a city, how would you go about making these changes?

No idea why you are asking me?

No idea why you are asking me?

Well, you are taking part in the discussion here and you introduced the topic that this might be the case.

Are you saying you don't want to discuss something you brought up?

Just added you on my ignore list, enjoy talking to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Sentencing today at 2:30 ET (7:30pm Irish time).

Chauvin's request for retrial was denied earlier today: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/derek-chauvin-be-sentenced-murder-death-george-floyd-n1272332

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Is his head shave a prison requirement i wonder.

He defo looks skinnier since we last saw him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

He's looking rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

22.5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 85,732 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Penn wrote: »
    22.5 years

I thought it be more 30 or 40 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

That's mental. Hopefully he appeals that successfully.

Totally unjust sentence IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Penn wrote: »
    22.5 years

Good. Hope every other rotten cop thinks twice before suffocating someone to death.

Advertisement