Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fancies For Today III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Twisted Reality can turn the tables on Eshada in the 3.40 Ascot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I fancy PEROTTO in the 5.oc at Ascot who can be backed at 22/1.

This is a thirty runner handicap and there are likely to be more hard luck stories than one would hear at a liars conference.

PEROTTO has never run over a mile but given his style of running looks like he may stay the trip today.He ran fourth in a very hot race in Newmarket over 6 furlongs on may 1st with recent winner First Folio behind in 5th.

Needed every yard of the 7 furlongs at Goodwood when running on strongly next time getting up close home.Not guaranteed to get the extra furlong today but is worth betting he will at the price.

However for online punters a warning,all bookmakers are offering just 4 places!!! in the toughest handicap of the year with 30 runners to boot and punters would be well advised to swerve this race online as there can be NO value whatsoever in having a bet on it.

I am heading to town shortly and i feel sure some of the shops will be going 6 if not 7 places,if this is not the case i will keep my money in my pocket

Oh how I love a good zimmer winner! 18s I'll take it

Thanks to Boyles and PEROTTO i am €480 better off.

SHELIR is at his best in big fields and was 5th in this last year,is worth a little at 33/1 with 6 places.

Not one or big money but worth a small bet.

With the changed going at Ascot there may be some upsets today,any i had fancied today are now discarded and i will have to see if there is any value to be had.

• Advertisement

A few who could run well on the ground today.
    5oc is a real mad handicap and luck will be needed,MESSIDOR has a good draw,acts on the ground and Joseph Obrien puts a 3 lb claimer on board,worth a tenner ew at 20s everywhere and a little more in places,all bookies go 6 places.

5.35 Scarlet Dragon and WIN O CLOCK are the two that appeal to me with preference for WIN O CLOCK who is 10/1 with PP and i will have a small saver on Scarlet Dragon at 12s.
    these two are useful and their liking for soft is a help,both ew 5 places.

In the last at 6.10 a couple are well suited to the ground,Mo Celita is one but is very short and my money ew goes on DREAM COMPOSER who is 8/1 with PP and would be a lot shorter if traind by a better known trainer 5 places everywhere and 6 in a couple of spots.

I hope racing takes place even though we cant be sure where the best ground will be,my three are drawn ok for good ground but the change is an unknown and depends on which side drains quickest.

20/1 and 8/1 placed so not too bad,i am now going to have a look at the Wokingham to see if i might get a value bet while having a few beers and watching golf.

A sporting bet at 18 to1 for the Wokingham.
    Gulliver is one of those horses who do well in big fields,goes well on soft and looks to have been prepared for this race by David O Meara.
    Has run well here in the past and the handicapper has eased him enough to get me interested.Paddy is going 7 places and I have had a few quid ew on tonight.Goes at 5.oc Ascot with Danny Tudhope who knows the horse well on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

my two e/w at final day Ascot: Japan and Sonaiyla

3 with chances at Ascot not big prices but I did 3 ew doubles and an ew treble,if t ok e first two are beaten I will back the 3rd one,Stratum who would be giving weight to the whole field if this were a handicap and should be hard to beat today.
    Ilarab 3.40,Nahaarr 4.20 and of course Stratum 6.10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

3 with chances at Ascot not big prices but I did 3 ew doubles and an ew treble,if t ok e first two are beaten I will back the 3rd one,Stratum who would be giving weight to the whole field if this were a handicap and should be hard to beat today.
    Ilarab 3.40,Nahaarr 4.20 and of course Stratum 6.10.
    Magic with stratum Zim

Magic with stratum Zim

Thanks,a nice finish to Ascot Gulliver ran a good race at 20s and I had a decent bet on Stratum to round it off,watched the race on Itv in my hotel room (a present from my generous kids) dinner booked for 7.30 and will have a few drinks on Paddy after a reasonable Ascot.
    The ratings worked well in the race,the highest rated horse won as he was entitled to at the weights.
    If only it was always that easy.

I have arranged to have the golf on in the bar after dinner to finish the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

I have arranged to have the golf on in the bar after dinner to finish the evening

Enjoy zimmer

Usual Monday fare today,one that caught my attention is Ghepard in the 5.30 Chep.
    A narrow winner here 2 weeks ago at 50 to1 from two that take him on again today but Ghepardo is a little better off with a 5 lbs claimer on board.
    Came from well back last time and can do so again today at 6 to 1 and there is the added bonus of money back if 2nd 3rd or 4th to the fav.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

My tuesday gem Hiddenpearl e/w 320 Brighton

The Plate has changed quite a bit over the years,in the past it was often won by horses laid out for the race and carrying a low weight,all has changed and since 2008 no horse carrying less than 9-0 has won it.

Last year the lowest rated horse to get into the race was rated 96 and 98 was the lowest rated horse in 2018.

When the prizemoney increased the race attracted classier types and thats why the rating required to get a run went up.

This year for a variety of reasons classier type are absent and those rated 84 get in.

Varians horse is fav and is probably on the up but at 5/1 i could not have him and the stable had a short price fav tailed off last year.

Carwennan has form here and won the consolation race last year and is sure to run well.

I have fancied SMART CHAMPION for a while and i think at around 8/1 he is value ew PP 6 places.

My value bet is COSMELLI who for reasons i cannot fathom is very well handicapped,he was 5th in this race last year btn 2 and 1/4 lengths off 96 and is 8 lbs lower off 88,he has a good claimer on board who takes another 5 lbs off.

If that wasn't enough he won the consolation race for this in 2018 off 96 carrying 9-7 and tomorrow he carries 7-13
    a featherweight.

He is not best drawn (16) but won the consolation race in 2018 from stall 18 and if his 19 year old apprentice,who has ridden more than 30 winners can stay cool COSMELLI is a great bet.I backed him tonight at 16/1 with PP and i am convinced i have a good value bet,i will have a saver on Smart Champion ew

My favourite race comes round again and last years fancy Cosmelli is entered again,its a bit too soon yet without going through the entries but Cosmelli with a good claimer on board by be on my short list again.

I backed Ouzo at 13 to2 in the 2.45 Salisbury following his very good run in 4th in the Hunt Cup at Ascot recently,I also was waiting for Barshiba to run and sadly it runs in the same race so I had a saver on Barshiba,backing both ew.

Kimifive 4.10 Newmarket looks ready to win today fo Joe Tuite who knows the time of day.
    The ground will suit better than last time and is a good ew bet at 6 to1.

KIMIFIVE beaten a little over a length and a short head for 4th when I am on ew 4 places.
    He remains of interest for a good handicap and I will follow.

• Advertisement

Small ew bet on Dixie Bluebell 5.30 Curragh at a very big price and a decent ew bet on Beyond Happy 6.0c Curr.,huge fields but i am hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Small ew bet on Dixie Bluebell 5.30 Curragh at a very big price and a decent ew bet on Beyond Happy 6.0c Curr.,huge fields but i am hope ful.

Zimmer does it again. 2nd at 33/1 and a 6/1 winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

Zimmer does it again. 2nd at 33/1 and a 6/1 winner.

Unreal stuff, fair play zimmer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Brilliant Zimmer, thanks for sharing.

Too much racing saturday with the highlight the Derby at the Curragh,i had been hoping for plenty of rain and would have backed Mac Swiney,however no rain forecast so no bet on Mac Swiney but he can still run well.

HURRICANE LANE who ran well at Epsom despite losing two front shoes looks very solid ew.

The last race on the Curragh card at 5.55 is a two mile handicap won last year by DALTON HIGHWAY and he can win it again tomorrow after a good run at Ascot when things did not go his way. A reasonable bet at 8/1 4 places.

The big race tomorrow is the Northumberland Plate also over two miles at Newcastle,i have always liked this race when it was run on grass and it is still a very good handicap now on the AW.

One of my original fancies was COSMELLI but he did not get in but now runs in what is a consolation race and despite having a lot of weight is an out and out galloper and can go well at 18/1 ew 5 places.

In the plate itself i have already backed recent Ascot winner RESHOUN who ran well in the race last year and should be staying on well at 16/1 5 places. So three stayers running over 2 miles at decent prices in very competitive races is my lot for saturday.

Cairn Island 3.20 Chester has come from a race that produced 3 Ascot winners,is well suited to the extra furlong and should win the 3.20 at Chester,Khuzaam 3 to 1 looks to have a bit in hand in the 2.20 Newcastle and will take beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Definitely NOT a fancy, but there is a horse called Celerity going in the last at Chester. An 8 year old who has run 100+ times and never won! On the basis that the owners are going to keep entering him until he wins I'm having a bit of an ew @ 100_1.

Definitely NOT a fancy, but there is a horse called Celerity going in the last at Chester. An 8 year old who has run 100+ times and never won! On the basis that the owners are going to keep entering him until he wins I'm having a bit of an ew @ 100_1.
    An optimist Dan given that Celerity has drawn the 8 box,I would say a drop in class and a run in a claimer is the only way to get the elusive win.

Too much racing saturday with the highlight the Derby at the Curragh,i had been hoping for plenty of rain and would have backed Mac Swiney,however no rain forecast so no bet on Mac Swiney but he can still run well.

HURRICANE LANE who ran well at Epsom despite losing two front shoes looks very solid ew.

The last race on the Curragh card at 5.55 is a two mile handicap won last year by DALTON HIGHWAY and he can win it again tomorrow after a good run at Ascot when things did not go his way. A reasonable bet at 8/1 4 places.

The big race tomorrow is the Northumberland Plate also over two miles at Newcastle,i have always liked this race when it was run on grass and it is still a very good handicap now on the AW.

One of my original fancies was COSMELLI but he did not get in but now runs in what is a consolation race and despite having a lot of weight is an out and out galloper and can go well at 18/1 ew 5 places.

In the plate itself i have already backed recent Ascot winner RESHOUN who ran well in the race last year and should be staying on well at 16/1 5 places. So three stayers running over 2 miles at decent prices in very competitive races is my lot for saturday.

The bleeding stopped,at least one of the decent priced horses came good Dalton Highway winning at 12/1.

• Advertisement

Best racing today is at the Curragh and there are a couple of hot handicaps with large fields.

The 3.05 is worth 59 grand and has attracted a few from across the water,however we are are good at keeping ours well handicapped compared to UK runners and we can keep the cash at home.

John Quin sends Lord Riddiford over and he is not without a chance but I think he is better on soft.

He was 5th in a good 5 furlong sprint at Epsom last time having been hampered and can run well today.

The horse that was 2nd in that race,Only Spoofing was only a length in front but with the jockeys 4 lbs claim can go one better today.

New trainer Kevin Thomas Coleman got this one in the UK and wasted little time getting a win out of him.

He can give the trainer his 2nd career win today and is an ew bet with 5 places available at around 7 to 1.

Advertisement