Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High risk/cohort 7 - GP doesn't seem too interested

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

is_that_so wrote: »
    It was only announced yesterday afternoon. Still gathering data from GPs.

I expect to hear from my GP any year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

tDw6u1bj wrote: »
    I expect to hear from my GP any year now.
    Yeah, when McCallion said it that kind of thought went through my head too but they do have the IT ready for it so it might be this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Any update yet with the new system for the high risk groups?

I posted a few weeks ago, how I used the year before I was born to register quickly (still waiting, two and a half weeks for that one).

But it wasn't the smartest move on my part. And since my age group opened today, I gave them a call and it's been fixed now.

I was told I could be waiting 3-4 weeks. Now that I'm properly registered, do I get to register or whatever for being high risk? Or jump the queue? Not that I'm jumping the queue. But will it be quicker than 3 weeks?

I thought I would be fully vaccinated by now and that's two weeks after the second shot. But here I am 7 weeks after high risk group could start get vaccinated and still waiting on my first shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Unfortunately the hse portal for gps to register those in cohort 4 and 7 has not yet been reactivated after the cyberattack. Hopefully next week.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Or were arsed to do it

And this is the crux of it all I feel

As bad as the HSE messed up (this should have been in place before the hack), many GPs should be reported to the Medical Council for willful negligence

I agree with this.

For the life of me I do not understand why they (both GPs and HSE) did not start compiling lists as far back as last September.

Now, the hack is being used as a catch all excuse.

BTW, if anyone has a medical card due for renewal, it can no longer be done online (hack!) so be sure and get your paperwork done six weeks earlier then you expected so your card isn't cancelled, as you have to fill in the whole 12 page paper application form, again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Trish_MB

I'm going to verify it with my GP tomorrow...

https://twitter.com/griffinniamh/status/1407035462091481097?s=19

Just posting to let everyone know that the referral pathway for covid 19 vaccination for cohort 4 and cohort 7 via healthlink has gone live tonight. So you can contact your GP in the morning.

For those of you lambasting your GP who are not vaccinating. Gps were told last may that if they did not want to vaccinate their patients would be facilitated through the hse. Its not their fault that the portal did not go live for 2 months. ..... to blame your GP who is in the most part powerless... is a very simplistic view.

Some gps have suffered extreme verbal abuse from.patients with one gp in kerry hospitalised with chest pain due to stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Any update on high risk 12-15 year olds? EMA approved weeks ago and other countries are vaccinating vulnerable teenagers. Haven't heard of any progress here.

SJFly wrote: »
    Any update on high risk 12-15 year olds? EMA approved weeks ago and other countries are vaccinating vulnerable teenagers. Haven't heard of any progress here.

No..... no update yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Wesser wrote: »
    No..... no update yet

It's very frustrating. I understand that the decision regarding vaccinating children is complicated, and for the general population there is no particular rush. However, I think it's a real shame vulnerable kids are still isolating to protect themselves when there is an approved vaccine, and now a route to refer to a vaccination centre.

Fantastic morning here. Rang HSE and even though I'm registered by age and being high risk, I still have to wait. The timeframe from registration to vaccine is 3-4 weeks or so it says online. But it's actually 3-5 weeks. Being high risk doesn't matter, I still have to wait.

Rang my doctor and they aren't doing vaccinations, I asked for a referral to a vaccination centre and nope, I have to apply for that myself!!!

No rush or anything. Just have someone coming home from abroad and thinks it's ok to self-isolate in a house with others!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,733 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Fantastic morning here. Rang HSE and even though I'm registered by age and being high risk, I still have to wait. The timeframe from registration to vaccine is 3-4 weeks or so it says online. But it's actually 3-5 weeks. Being high risk doesn't matter, I still have to wait.
    Rang my doctor and they aren't doing vaccinations, I asked for a referral to a vaccination centre and nope, I have to apply for that myself!!!

Did the doctor explain how you 'apply yourself'?
    There is no way for someone to apply directly to the HSE for high risk referrals.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Did the doctor explain how you 'apply yourself'?
    There is no way for someone to apply directly to the HSE for high risk referrals.

I got so frustrated that I didn't ask and just left it. It wasn't actually the doctor, but the receptionist. Even still the receptionist is working and should know that a patient can't refer themselves. If that's the case anyone can make things up and refer themselves.

Finally got an appointment. It must have been my phone call to the HSE this morning.

Finally got an appointment. It must have been my phone call to the HSE this morning.

How'd that work?

You me the GP office actually did their job or you were able to arrange it yourself.

How'd that work?

You me the GP office actually did their job or you were able to arrange it yourself.

Wasn't the GP. Not sure what I said to HSE, other than I am high risk. Was still told the official talk that I have to wait 3-5 weeks for an appointment. Guessing they must have done something with me being high risk.

I was told the same. When I replied there's no way to register through HSE website for high risk under 35 and that HSE officially states that only GP can refer me through internal referral portal, receptionist just said she will leave a note for my GP and I'll be called back about it. Exactly 27h later I'm still waiting for that call. If I hear nothing today, I'll bother them again tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Got my second vaccine today the week registrations opened for my age cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

I got so frustrated that I didn't ask and just left it. It wasn't actually the doctor, but the receptionist. Even still the receptionist is working and should know that a patient can't refer themselves. If that's the case anyone can make things up and refer themselves.

If I were you I would put your request in writing to the GP. Include reference to the fact it is a HSE referal system. Anything that can make your request more "official".

• Advertisement

Trish_MB wrote: »
    I was told the same. When I replied there's no way to register through HSE website for high risk under 35 and that HSE officially states that only GP can refer me through internal referral portal, receptionist just said she will leave a note for my GP and I'll be called back about it. Exactly 27h later I'm still waiting for that call. If I hear nothing today, I'll bother them again tomorrow morning.

I gave them a call again and it was confirmed my vaccine referral will be sent shortly. I hope they don't forget. This time there was no talk about waiting for my age group or registering through HSE website. All I can do now is waiting for text with appointment, hope not too long.

I can't believe that I still had to push them to do that for me while they automatically should refer all patients that openly declared their interest and kept calling regularly about it since May.

I gave them a call again and it was confirmed my vaccine referral will be sent shortly. I hope they don't forget. This time there was no talk about waiting for my age group or registering through HSE website. All I can do now is waiting for text with appointment, hope not too long.

I can't believe that I still had to push them to do that for me while they automatically should refer all patients that openly declared their interest and kept calling regularly about it since May.

Complete madness the work we have to do to get our vaccine.

Any advice for convincing my GP that this exists?
    Is it in writing/press releases anywhere?

All I get is "We don't know anything about that".

Any advice for convincing my GP that this exists?
    Is it in writing/press releases anywhere?

All I get is "We don't know anything about that".

HSELive replies in public on twitter from their official account that portal is open for GPs. They replied to my tweet - link below. You can message HSE directly on twitter with question and send screenshot of their reply to your GP. I can't find any other official information about it for now.

https://twitter.com/HSELive/status/1407276509035909121?s=19

What I really wonder here is why my GP doesn't seem to know?

Given the responses I get you'd assume the HSE made the portal and just didn't bother telling anyone.
    How would this kind of information normally be made available to GPs?

Gps have not been notified that the referral pathway is open. It went up on the QT last week without GPs being notified. Only reason i spotted it was by accident while searching for something else. I suspect the hse do not want to be flooded with referrals and so they have not drawn gps attention to it.

Tell your gp to go to healthlink.... then click on 'referrals' then scroll down to 'vaccination centre' .

Gps have not been notified that the referral pathway is open.

GPs were informed via e-mail.

GPs were informed via e-mail.

Do you know when...or how one could get a copy of this email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Gps have not been notified that the referral pathway is open

GPs have been emailed

GPs can check the HSE Twitter for confirmation if they haven't received the email

Bottom line is many GPs couldn't give a shyte about their Cohort 7 patients and the Medical Council will be busy this year

• Advertisement

Do you know when...or how one could get a copy of this email?

Portal was opened on Tuesday. E-mails were sent from HSE to GPs directly and nobody outside GP practice has access obviously. I know it was e-mail as my GP confirmed it to me when she called me Thursday afternoon to confirm my details for referral, just explained why on my Tuesday call they still were not aware.

If your GP didn't receive e-mail (it happens) I guess they should contact HSE for confirmation.

Advertisement