Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

People with a funny idea of the rules of the road.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yesterday, I was driving northbound on the M1. A car was joining from a slip road.

I was driving at 100 km/h.

I kept my pace. He was joining at the same speed as me and showed no sign of speeding up or slowing down to join in ahead or behind me. There was a stream of cars overtaking me at 120 km/h ++ (I was keeping left at 100 km/h).

If I didn't slow down we would have collided with the slower merger but as I slowed down, so did he, I was expecting him to go in on front of me as he was trying to push his way in. I ended up slowing to 40 km/h because he was merging on front of me and slowing down causing traffic behind to swerve to avoid us. He pushed in on front us at a snails pace and sped up to 80 km/h approx. I was unable to change lanes because at this stage there was even CE lorries in the overtaking lane because of the clown.

I overtook him and moved back left and continued at 100 km/h in the left lane.

We left the motorway at the same exit and he caught up to me at traffic lights, he gestured to wind down my window and said that "you have to give way to traffic joining a motorway" ..this is bullshit isn't it?

He said I should be thankful he doesn't have a dashcam because if he did he'd be reporting me to the Gardaí. He told me to learn the rules of the road. LOL

I passed B in Sweden and had to do motorway lessons, I passed A and D1 here and no motorway lessons. Do you have to do motorway lessons for B here?

When I started driving here at 19 almost 10 years ago I took it upon myself to learn any discrepancies there may be between Irish and Swedish rules of the road.

To be honest with you.. while that driver merging was making a mess of matters, why weren't you in the middle lane? It's good practice to move out to the middle lane when there is traffic merging into the left hand lane.

What's your insistence on traveling so far under the limit may I ask? Are you limited?

sumo12 wrote: »
    This is MY rule - if someone is coming down the slip road to join the motorway and they do not indicate and just assume they are going to make me vanish so they can merge, I will under no circumstances let them join the motorway. Doubt that's in any Rule of the Road but it's in the common courtesy / etiquette imaginary one...

That's a great rule. And when you're picking yourselves out of your crashed cars, you can measure each others dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

Spook_ie wrote: »
    My sig shows cyclists the correct use of hand signals (if you think that's making fun then shame on you) not the pointing at the road for 0.75 seconds that seems to be the norm for right/left turns and the non existant use of the signal for slowing or stopping

Nah, definite notes of sarcasm there...also not really the place for an effective PSA.

Either way, no sense of irony at all...no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Jacksie66. wrote: »
    A N plate driver nearly got me killed last week. Was on a bit of road that's a small bit bendy but nothing major. She was crawling along at 50kmph when the limit was 80. Came to a straight stretch and she was still doing 50, maybe touching 60. I decided to overtake her. As I was I could see a car in the distance coming in my direction but very far away and in no danger. As I was just passing this lady's driver door she put the boot down and floored it. I couldn't believe what she was doing. I should have been well in and past this car when I got worried about the oncoming car. I managed to get in and it was a very close shave. What goes through people's minds in this situation? Could have caused a serious crash. Driving for 50kmph for miles beforehand but when I go to overtake they floor it...

That has happened me twice, scarey and crazy thing to do. First time had a car with very little poke so had to abort the overtake.

Can't figure it out, is it that their ego will be bruised if someone overtakes them even though they were initially driving slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Here is another funny idea people have about the rules of the road: a red light isn’t red unless it has been red for at least four or five seconds. Especially on very large junctions. Until then it’s really green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

CoBo55 wrote: »
    This is a great thread, it's covering pedestrians, driving in the US, cyclist's, all we need next are a few Russian road rage videos ( I love watching them)

It's a discussion forum about the rules of the road.
    What have you contributed to the discussion related to that?

You have provided bad tire advice and also complained about & tried to avoid placing an EV charger at the front of your house.

Seriously, the last person to be accepting advice from on this thread.

What's the story with the EV charger anyway? Still trying to avoid it?

Dreamland is only just a few years away. You just have to be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Martin567 wrote: »
    Do driving tests have motorway driving now? That must be a fairly recent change.
    Do people not read posts now before commenting. No change there then.

Try reading it again. No mention of Motorways, just dual carriageways. Where the same RotR apply when joining from a slip road.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

storker wrote: »
    Or worse...drive to the end of the slip road and...stop.

I don't think I've seen this on motorways though, just on dual carriageways.
    If someone merging is unable to merge by the end of the slip road, they must stop and wait until it is safe to enter the road. They are not allowed drive on the hatched markings or hard shoulder.
    However, this would be a rarity and people stopping on a slip road is usually because they're a crap driver.

lawred2 wrote: »
    To be honest with you.. while that driver merging was making a mess of matters, why weren't you in the middle lane? It's good practice to move out to the middle lane when there is traffic merging into the left hand lane.

What's your insistence on traveling so far under the limit may I ask? Are you limited?
    The vast majority of the M1 motorway has two lanes. Which if these is the middle lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭CoBo55

wandererz wrote: »
    It's a discussion forum about the rules of the road.
    What have you contributed to the discussion related to that?

You have provided bad tire advice and also complained about & tried to avoid placing an EV charger at the front of your house.

Seriously, the last person to be accepting advice from on this thread.

What's the story with the EV charger anyway? Still trying to avoid it?

Dreamland is only just a few years away. You just have to be patient.

Where did I give bad tYre advice? Nothing to do with you whether I have a charger or not tbh. I actually wasn’t complaining I was asking the lads there would it still be cost effective to use a local 50kw charger which always seems to be unoccupied since payment was introduced. I got some very helpful replies they’re obviously better mannered than you. Your last dreamland sentence actually makes no sense it’s just jibberish. Oh I just noticed the time of your post.... That explains a lot.

• Advertisement

The vast majority of the M1 motorway has two lanes. Which if these is the middle lane?

Ah sure you got me.

The right hand lane is best place to be even traffic merging rather than getting into a duelling contest with a tonne of metal.

The right hand lane is best place to be even traffic merging rather than getting into a duelling contest with a tonne of metal.
    If you're pointing me back towards the first post then bear in mind that they were unable to change lane due to a steady stream of faster moving traffic.

If you're pointing me back towards the first post then bear in mind that they were unable to change lane due to a steady stream of faster moving traffic.

You move out in advance of merging traffic. These junctions are well flagged in advance.

You move out in advance of merging traffic. These junctions are well flagged in advance.
    So what you're saying is that everyone in lane 1 should move to lane 2 when approaching the junction?
    FFS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

So what you're saying is that everyone in lane 1 should move to lane 2 when approaching the junction?

What he's saying is 'M50' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

They should cap the numbers of cyclists in a particular peloton group. No one has the time to waste to have a long straight to pass the road train they make themselves.

Nope. I'm saying that those who don't want to get into situations like the OP did are better served avoiding them.

But if you want to get stuck in to such situations then feel free.

As it is, I'm really not sure why the OP chose to slow down causing issues in the left hand lane for traffic behind him already on the motorway. It's up to the merging driver to slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ah sure you got me.

As per the post you're discussing, there was faster traffic in lane 2 preventing them from moving over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

What he's saying is 'M50' :pac:

M50 and N7, millions spent adding a 3rd lane that everyone refuses to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

McGaggs wrote: »
    M50 and N7, millions spent adding a 3rd lane that everyone refuses to use.

needs some enforcement to make everyone use the lanes correctly

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    As per the post you're discussing, there was faster traffic in lane 2 preventing them from moving over

That traffic was highlighted while he was already in the junction abreast of the merging car.

Junctions are flagged well in advance.

But listen, whatever, if people want to be in such situations then they are free to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The one thing I'd say about not indicating towards the end of a merge lane. This depends too much on the person on the motorway.

They might not be interested in seeing things more than 3 meters ahead of them because why would you sure.

They might not know this particular junction. They may be unaware the merging lane is ending. The surprise of a car moving out without indication may not end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Fils wrote: »
    They should cap the numbers of cyclists in a particular peloton group.

To what ?

8, 10, 12, 14 ......

TBH, any groups I've been in have been max 12 ..... usually between 8 and 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

dsmythy wrote: »
    The one thing I'd say about not indicating towards the end of a merge lane. This depends too much on the person on the motorway.

They might not be interested in seeing things more than 3 meters ahead of them because why would you sure.

They might not know this particular junction. They may be unaware the merging lane is ending. The surprise of a car moving out without indication may not end well.

Why, in normal circumstances, would anyone be near the end of the merge lane and still in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

They need to do a big campaign here on "merge like a zip"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,541 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fils wrote: »
    They should cap the numbers of cyclists in a particular peloton group. No one has the time to waste to have a long straight to pass the road train they make themselves.

They should cap the number of cars in a particular traffic jam group. No one on a bike has time to waste to have to find a wide section to filter past piles of mostly single occupancy vehicles. .

Lord, please give me the self entitlement level that leads me to think that my journey is more important than 10-15 other people.

They should cap the number of cars in a particular traffic jam group. No one on a bike has time to waste to have to find a wide section to filter past piles of mostly single occupancy vehicles. .

Lord, please give me the self entitlement level that leads me to think that my journey is more important than 10-15 other people.

Having read your cycling posts, God has answered.

Anything to be said for roundabouts? No indicators, left lane, right lane, any old exit......

They need to do a big campaign here on "merge like a zip"

That's only really relevant when traffic is heavy though which is not the case at most Irish motorway junctions.

• Advertisement

Anything to be said for roundabouts? No indicators, left lane, right lane, any old exit......

Think it's been done to death on here before.

Would rather no indication than indicating wrong. The amount of people that indicate wrongly is increasing?

I've had three cars indicating to continue around the a three exit roundabout recently but all got off at the exit in front of me. I know they probably only wasted me 15 seconds but jaysus it is fairly intuitive to know which that you indicate left when taking the first turn.

Advertisement