Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

People with a funny idea of the rules of the road.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Fast2move

I have to admit I find reading these posts exasperating. Why is this so difficult to comprehend the onus is on the traffic merging to yield to the traffic already on the motorway.

It makes me think of a riddle… How many Irish people does it take to plug in a lightbulb?? Well one person to tell them how to do it properly... We’re just waiting for everyone to finish arguing about the instructions to get the final tally

Indulge me in a moment of simplistic heavenly bliss of wishful thinking

Q. Hang on a sec I’m travelling at 120 km an hour and a car already in lane one is travelling 120 km an hour what happened then

A. The onus is on the vehicle merging to yield to the traffic already on the motorway

Q Yes but some laneway is a really short so what do I do then

A. The onus is on the vehicle merging to yield to the traffic already on the motorway

Q. Yes but I drive a 40 ton lorry and if I slowdown it’s going to take me ages to speed up again

A. Apologies for your inconvenience but the onus is on the traffic merging to yield to the traffic already on the motorway

Q. Yes but everyone already on the motorway should anticipate that there is emerging traffic and move over to Lane 2 so that I don’t have to experience any inconvenience of having to think or exert any effort

A. We all aim to live your life but sadly the onus is on traffic merging to yield the traffic already on the motorway

Q. Yes but what about when the traffic is bumper-to-bumper on the motorway and what am I supposed to do just stay on the slip road and wait for the end of rush hour

A. Well the onus still remains on the traffic merging onto the motorway to yield to traffic already on the motorway please be patient and give the traffic on the motorway time to give you space to move in. Do not barge in because the onus is on the traffic merging to yield to traffic already on the motorway

I have this vision of being wheeled down the corridor in the straitjacket to the padded cell and I’m saying to the care assistant “all I am saying is the onus is on the people merging on the motorway to yield to traffic already on the motorway....why is it so hard to understand?? “

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Anything to be said for roundabouts? No indicators, left lane, right lane, any old exit......

Enter roundabout, indicate right just before exiting.

People seem to have completely given up indicating when taking the first exit of a roundabout. It was rare enough to begin with and non existent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Fast2move wrote: »

Q. Hang on a sec I’m travelling at 120 km an hour and a car already in lane one is travelling 120 km an hour what happened then

Q. Yes but I drive a 40 ton lorry and if I slowdown it’s going to take me ages to speed up again

A. Apologies for your inconvenience but the onus is on the traffic merging to yield to the traffic already on the motorway

Q. Yes but everyone already on the motorway should anticipate that there is emerging traffic and move over to Lane 2 so that I don’t have to experience any inconvenience of having to think or exert any effort

A. We all aim to live your life but sadly the onus is on traffic merging to yield the traffic already on the motorway

Q. Yes but what about when the traffic is bumper-to-bumper on the motorway and what am I supposed to do just stay on the slip road and wait for the end of rush hour

A. Well the onus still remains on the traffic merging onto the motorway to yield to traffic already on the motorway please be patient and give the traffic on the motorway time to give you space to move in. Do not barge in because the onus is on the traffic merging to yield to traffic already on the motorway

I have this vision of being wheeled down the corridor in the straitjacket to the padded cell and I’m saying to the care assistant “all I am saying is the onus is on the people merging on the motorway to yield to traffic already on the motorway....why is it so hard to understand?? “

well that's only 100% true. !

Not hard to understand that at any junction one stream has priority over the other . Most people wouldn't expect to not yield coming out of a side road after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Mimon wrote: »
    Think it's been done to death on here before.

Would rather no indication than indicating wrong. The amount of people that indicate wrongly is increasing?

I've had three cars indicating to continue around the a three exit roundabout recently but all got off at the exit in front of me. I know they probably only wasted me 15 seconds but jaysus it is fairly intuitive to know which that you indicate left when taking the first turn.

The problem originates somewhere else.

It is not illegal in any way to actually indicate your intention to turn or exit the roundabout, but fail to do so. When I need to give way, I give absolutely no attention to indicators on the cars on the RB or main road. If majority don't pay attention to them, they are also very likely not to use them themselves.

Fils wrote: »
    They should cap the numbers of cyclists in a particular peloton group. No one has the time to waste to have a long straight to pass the road train they make themselves.

That would make sense from a courtesy point of view but as they'll tell you, they don't have to. It's never high on their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

grogi wrote: »
    The problem originates somewhere else.

It is not illegal in any way to actually indicate your intention to turn or exit the roundabout, but fail to do so. When I need to give way, I give absolutely no attention to indicators on the cars on the RB or main road. If majority don't pay attention to them, they are also very likely not to use them themselves.

to paraphrase : indicators give an indication of possible manoeuvre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

McGaggs wrote: »
    Enter roundabout, indicate right just before exiting.

Amazing how many people do this. Is it just my perception or is the standard of driving dropping?

The one I don't get is people cutting across on to the wrong side when turning right at a junction. I regularly have to stop when approaching a junction as I will end up colliding with these numpties.

Was one of the first things I was taught when learning to drive. To drive in at a right angle and not cut the corner on the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Having read your cycling posts, God has answered.

Apologies, silly me, I forgot that it was motorists that owned the roads.
    That would make sense from a courtesy point of view but as they'll tell you, they don't have to. It's never high on their agenda.

Why would that "courtesy" obligation apply solely to cyclists and not other road users?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Apologies, silly me, I forgot that it was motorists that owned the roads.

Why would that "courtesy" obligation apply solely to cyclists and not other road users?

I'll bite

Because at the end of the day regardless of the number of single occupancy cars in a queue of traffic a cyclist is permitted to overtake on either side, that's probably reason enough for cars etc. not to worry about cyclists in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Did you ever eat so much popcorn you got a heartburn? Not nice I'll tell ya!! Crisps are worse especially those English ones, burn de guts out of ya...

Sorry I forgot to add one other one

Q. Yes but I am a very considerate driver and I like to always move over to another lane to let cars merge nice and easily it gives me a great feeling of well-being that I have done my bit of kindness for the day

A. It is advisable to seek other ways where you can express your kindness and contribute to a better world because these unnecessary lane changes increase the risk of road accidents due to the speed that vehicles are travelling on the motorway. It is far safer to maintain your course and your changing lanes adds an element of confusion into an already very simple procedure because as it has been explained ad nauseam the onus is on the vehicles merging to yield to the traffic already on the motorway

Q. Yes but I am a very considerate driver and I like to always move over to another lane to let cars merge nice and easily it gives me a great feeling of well-being that I have done my bit of kindness for the day

A. It is advisable to seek other ways where you can express your kindness and contribute to a better world because these unnecessary lane changes increase the risk of road accidents due to the speed that vehicles are travelling on the motorway. It is far safer to maintain your course and your changing lanes adds an element of confusion into an already very simple procedure because as it has been explained ad nauseam the onus is on the vehicles merging to yield to the traffic already on the motorway

God you're a patronising git, do want some popcorn?
    Me being so nice n'all...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I've actually found the standard of motorway driving has gone up since the start of the pandemic in my experience.

A lot less people welded to lane 2. Generally fewer crazy high speed and crazy low speed people. Nice stream of people I pass who are doing 115 and a nice stream who pass me who are doing 130.

Only issue lately I had just at the start of the new average speed camera test zone, I moved into lane 2 because someone was merging at a low speed, a guy with CD plates drinking a bottle of water while entering a motorway. He then sped up and matched me speed side by side. I just stayed on the horn for a long time until he slowed down and allowed me to move back into lane 1.

The rest of the time I'll just be ready to move into lane 2 and I'll move if someone looks like they are going to end up side by side with me. I'm not out there to enforce the rules it's safer for me if I can move into lane 2 and if they speed up above 120 then I move back into lane 1 and don't go alongside them

Yesterday I only had a couple cars who I came up behind then I'd move out to overtake and they would speed up. It used to be a lot more common

Anyone who doesn't do this is a d*ck, IMO. That's kind of all there is to it

CoBo55 wrote: »
    God you're a patronising git, do want some popcorn?
    Me being so nice n'all...

Yes I may be a patronising git and you appear to be an ignorant individual that feels it’s okay to insult somebody. But here’s the thing that we both have to remember

The onus is on the vehicle merging to yield to the traffic already on the motorway ðŸ‘

Yes I may be a patronising git and you appear to be an ignorant individual that feels it’s okay to insult somebody. But here’s the thing that we both have to remember

The onus is on the vehicle merging to yield to the traffic already on the motorway ðŸ‘

Nah I just move over and let them in and drive off into the sunset, life is a lot easier when you don't act like a dick on the road trying to be the motorway police.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

If it is safe to do so, I will move over to lane 2 to allow traffic to merge, not out of courtesy, but because it is quite common that the merging car is trundling down the slip way and only accelerates to speed once on the motorway, and I do not want to be stuck behind them.

If I cant swap lanes as there is already traffic using the lane then I will do my best to get ahead of the merging traffic, for the same reason.

Anyone who doesn't do this is a d*ck, IMO. That's kind of all there is to it

It’s funny because I see everybody that DOES that is a d*ck because their driving, as I said, increases the risk of accidents by engaging in unnecessary manoeuvers in a vehicle travelling at high speeds on the motorway with other vehicles travelling at high speeds around them.

There is actually a reason why the rules of the road exist. People have actually put thought into this it’s not just a heap of mumbo-jumbo that some random person came up with one night during lockdown

• Advertisement

It’s funny because I see everybody that DOES that is a d*ck because their driving, as I said, increases the risk of accidents by engaging in unnecessary manoeuvers in a vehicle travelling at high speeds on the motorway with other vehicles travelling at high speeds around them.

There is actually a reason why the rules of the road exist. People have actually put thought into this it’s not just a heap of mumbo-jumbo that some random person came up with one night during lockdown

Each to their own, I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Mimon wrote: »
    Amazing how many people do this. Is it just my perception or is the standard of driving dropping?

The one I don't get is people cutting across on to the wrong side when turning right at a junction. I regularly have to stop when approaching a junction as I will end up colliding with these numpties.

Was one of the first things I was taught when learning to drive. To drive in at a right angle and not cut the corner on the junction.

The biggest ones I’ve noticed in the last few years is the number of drivers breaking lights has gone way up, especially in Dublin.

I’m actually wondering if it’s that they need longer amber phases. It’s extremely bad in some places. You can’t even guarantee people will stop for pedestrian crossings anymore

I think the amber sequences in Dublin are very short though. There’s this sense that the lights are snapping from green to red with little warning and some very odd ultra short sequences too that seem to make no sense.

I don’t get the same sense of traffic light stress in Cork or even London tbh. The sequences in Dublin seem weird.

Anything to be said for roundabouts? No indicators, left lane, right lane, any old exit......

In relation to roundabouts the indication at the entrance to a roundabout is done as part of the MSPSL manoeuvre. MSPSL refers to mirror, signal position, speed, look and access. Therefore the signal is given early to be a clear indication of the direction you wish to travel on the roundabout.

Upon exit you signal the exit you wish to take after the preceding exit not just before the exit you intend to take. all indications are done in a timely fashion to indicate to other drivers the exit you wish to take.

And approaching a roundabout with an exit at 9 o’clock and another exit at 4 o’clock and you wish to take the 4 o’clock exit you would signal right upon entering and generally signal left past 12 pm your intention to take the next exit

Each to their own, I guess

I agree with you how two people can look at a particular situation and assess it can be a very subjective experience

However the indisputable fact which is not really open to interpretation is that the onus is on the vehicles merging to yield to the traffic already on the motorway

The biggest ones I’ve noticed in the last few years is the number of drivers breaking lights has gone way up, especially in Dublin.

I’m actually wondering if it’s that they need longer amber phases. It’s extremely bad in some places. You can’t even guarantee people will stop for pedestrian crossings anymore

I think the amber sequences in Dublin are very short though. There’s this sense that the lights are snapping from green to red with little warning and some very odd ultra short sequences too that seem to make no sense.

I don’t get the same sense of traffic light stress in Cork or even London tbh. The sequences in Dublin seem weird.

I agree with you I think the amber sequence in the lights should be a fraction longer. I also really wish we adopted the English traffic light sequence of the red and amber before the green.

But in all honesty most of the problem is people are approaching a green light with absolutely no anticipation that the light may change. Knowing that this is a major factor the light sequence should be adapted to address this problem by giving a slightly longer amber

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I agree with you I think the amber sequence in the lights should be a fraction longer. I also really wish we adopted the English traffic light sequence of the red and amber before the green.

But in all honesty most of the problem is people are approaching a green light with absolutely no anticipation that the light may change. Knowing that this is a major factor the light sequence should be adapted to address this problem by giving a slightly longer amber

People just ignore the amber lights. It was only yesterday I was approaching controlled roundabout, lights turned yellow. I was able to gently stop - yet two more cars in the other lane that were behind me had to rush through. Insane really.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

I don't think there's a problem with the length of amber - the problem is people have no intention of stopping for them.

A longer sequence won't help that.
    We treat amber as "I guess the light will go red soon" not what the law says: "stop, unless unsafe to do so".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

People just ignore the amber lights. It was only yesterday I was approaching controlled roundabout, lights turned yellow. I was able to gently stop - yet two more cars in the other lane had to rush through. Insane really.

I'd go so far as to say most people see amber and interpret it as speed up you'll be through the junction before the other lights go green.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

People just ignore the amber lights. It was only yesterday I was approaching controlled roundabout, lights turned yellow. I was able to gently stop - yet two more cars in the other lane had to rush through. Insane really.

I’ve been beeped at, very aggressively, for slowing in amber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

I’ve been beeped at, very aggressively, for slowing in amber.

You can't worry about that though.
    While steering around a 2 tonne metal box that can kill others is the wrong time to worry about some guy getting annoyed.

Advertisement