Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

People with a funny idea of the rules of the road.

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

tDw6u1bj wrote: »
    Your examples are an abomination that shouldn't exist (not on irish roads, not on american ones either), and a (increasingly rare) malfunction?

meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I'm still a N driver and when I'm on a multi lane road driving at the speed limit, I often have people whizzing by me in the lane beside me. It can be off putting because it makes me think I missed a speed limit change but that's not the case.

Yesterday I passed a 50 sign with cars continuing to speed past me in the other lane with me going 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Considering the rather harsh penalty point set-up (in my opinion) for Novice Drivers, I'd say you're doing exactly the right thing.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Considering the rather harsh penalty point set-up (in my opinion) for Novice Drivers, I'd say you're doing exactly the right thing.

I've no intention of speeding just due to peer pressure but it can be off-putting for an inexperienced driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

I'm still a N driver and when I'm on a multi lane road driving at the speed limit, I often have people whizzing by me in the lane beside me. It can be off putting because it makes me think I missed a speed limit change but that's not the case.

Yesterday I passed a 50 sign with cars continuing to speed past me in the other lane with me going 50.

Whizzing by you on the left or right side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Was on my way to work today and what is up with female drivers today is it the weather, too hot for them or something, 3 times used my horn they either not watching lights or on the phone. One incident, was big queue turning right and I was on a going straight lane infront of me was a female driver we both at a stop light, when the line went green she fcking immediately turned right with no signal and surpassing the cars on the turning right lane and the light immediately turns red so she stopped ahead of the cars already on the lane, bloody hell alot of cars were blaring their horns.

wandererz wrote: »
    Whizzing by you on the left or right side?

On the right side. A good example that happened a few days ago would be from here on the Naas Rd:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3231048,-6.3536986,3a,75y,252.46h,84.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgnq9-w-RVppXdgmZiPec7Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

I'm in the left lane (beside the bus lane) doing 60 and cars to the right of me are flying past even though the speed limit is 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

FWIW, it'll always seem like there's more people speeding around you than there actually are.

The vast majority of people follow the speed limit but you won't notice them because they aren't passing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Correct. So should you yield to the car on your right, or should that car yield to you, being on their left?

They should yield to all vehicles on the RB.

Actually, here's a question about a turn I've taken a few times. If you see in the map here:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3429041,-6.3185282,173m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I'm emerging from Memorial Rd and turning left onto Chapelizod Bypass, I then immediately exit the Chapelizod Bypass and go down Con Colbert Rd toward Sarsfield Rd.

When I do turn onto Chapelizod Bypass, I don't go into the bus lane. Instead I go into the left lane beside the bus lane and then do a lane change into Con Colbert Rd once I get to that broken white line by the yellow box. But this is essentially doing two lane changes in one maneuver (into Con Colbert Rd by traversing the bus lane)

So it seems to me that it makes more sense to turn directly into the bus lane and then turn off into Con Colbert Rd. For the sake of the 80 meters of the bus lane, that seems a little more pragmatic than following the letter of the rules and avoids doing two lane changes at the same time.

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Actually, here's a question about a turn I've taken a few times. If you see in the map here:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3429041,-6.3185282,173m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I'm emerging from Memorial Rd and turning left onto Chapelizod Bypass, I then immediately exit the Chapelizod Bypass and go down Con Colbert Rd toward Sarsfield Rd.

When I do turn onto Chapelizod Bypass, I don't go into the bus lane. Instead I go into the left lane beside the bus lane and then do a lane change into Con Colbert Rd once I get to that broken white line by the yellow box. But this is essentially doing two lane changes in one maneuver (into Con Colbert Rd by traversing the bus lane)

So it seems to me that it makes more sense to turn directly into the bus lane and then turn off into Con Colbert Rd. For the sake of the 80 meters of the bus lane, that seems a little more pragmatic than following the letter of the rules and avoids doing two lane changes at the same time.

Any thoughts?
    All grand chancing the bus lane until the fecker on the cop bike nabs you!!

Any thoughts?

You have to cross the bus lane. Let buses pass and you are free to go. What's the problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

It's especially egregious at evening and morning rush hour.
    Everyone is in a rush.

You approach speed rams and slow down accordingly, you get tailed and lambasted by the horn. If you dare do it again for the next ramp they accelerate like a madman and overtake you aggressively and fly over the next ramps (I don't know how their suspensions are still in one piece).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

The Strawberry beds road has more than 20 ramps over a distance so one is continually slowing to a crawl as they are pretty steep. I was always annoyed with them until I got to know someone who lived there.

They had so many close calls when walking or cycling that they eventually moved.

I will never speed over a ramp, no matter who is on my tail.

Let them break up their cars. I certainly wouldn’t be breaking up mine for them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

wildwillow wrote: »
    The Strawberry beds road has more than 20 ramps over a distance so one is continually slowing to a crawl as they are pretty steep. I was always annoyed with them until I got to know someone who lived there.

They had so many close calls when walking or cycling that they eventually moved.

I will never speed over a ramp, no matter who is on my tail.
    I always felt that the Strawberry beds road really should have been closed to vehicular traffic halfway along to remove the rat running. Bikes, pedestrians, etc could have the run of it as normal.
    However, the ramps are great for slowing cars, they're also a bit of a bitch if you're on a bike. Taking the edge means you've to go over a shore; take a lime more to the right and you'll almost castrate yourself. Damned if you do and damned if you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

I hate those cushion ramps, I cannot see the point of them.

When I'm on my bike, if I move into the left to avoid them drivers behind take it as a carte blanche to squeeze by and if you move out to the middle of the road to avoid it you get beep for "getting in their way".

Damned if you do ... etc.

For similar reasons when I see a cyclist up ahead, it may be safe for both of us and legal to overtake, but I often don't to prevent cars coming behind from squeezing the cyclist, especially if the cyclist is not taking the primary.

Once before I gave plenty of space to overtake a cyclist and a clown behind overtook the cyclist with cms to spare whilst simultaneously undertaking me. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

If you change lane you have to indicate, it’s not difficult, if a lane entering a MW eventually filters into lane 1 of the MW then on those rare occasions the design might be as described them none is required as you have not crossed lines.

I’m not aware of many lanes that join a ME like that so for me an indication is essential.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You approach speed rams and slow down accordingly, you get tailed and lambasted by the horn. If you dare do it again for the next ramp they accelerate like a madman and overtake you aggressively and fly over the next ramps (I don't know how their suspensions are still in one piece).

I have done this, but only when the car in front has been lowered to such a comically low amount that suburban ramps may as well be huge mountains.
    If there are enough ramps on the road, I don't feel like taking an extra 5 minutes because the car in front want's to sit on the tarmac.

the ramps are /.../ bitch if you're on a bike. Taking the edge means you've to go over a shore; take a lime more to the right and you'll almost castrate yourself.

You stand on the pedals and let the bike rotate freely. Not only you massively reduce the non-sprung mass, but also the risk for the family diamonds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Cork City Council specific problem:

They’ve a number of junctions that appear to be programmed as if there’s a fly light, where on green, they’re holding oncoming traffic on red on the opposite side for say 30 secs, to allow a right turn, but there’s no arrow displayed. The light will be full green, with the oncoming traffic held for a while and no indication that it’s safe to turn, but you’ll notice the traffic isn’t moving towards you and get the hint.

If you hesitate, you’ll often be aggressively beeped at by a friendly taxi driver who is familiar with the weird arrangement.

The result of this is that you’re getting people who assume all junctions do this and they’ll turn across oncoming traffic immediately on green.

I’ve seen it a few times and I’m pretty convinced this is what’s creating the bad habits.

The city council clearly doesn’t see the issue. It’s at a number of long established junctions. I’ve never seen it on a new lights installation though.

Advertisement