Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

People with a funny idea of the rules of the road.

Options
  • 11-06-2021 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Yesterday, I was driving northbound on the M1. A car was joining from a slip road.

I was driving at 100 km/h.

I kept my pace. He was joining at the same speed as me and showed no sign of speeding up or slowing down to join in ahead or behind me. There was a stream of cars overtaking me at 120 km/h ++ (I was keeping left at 100 km/h).

If I didn't slow down we would have collided with the slower merger but as I slowed down, so did he, I was expecting him to go in on front of me as he was trying to push his way in. I ended up slowing to 40 km/h because he was merging on front of me and slowing down causing traffic behind to swerve to avoid us. He pushed in on front us at a snails pace and sped up to 80 km/h approx. I was unable to change lanes because at this stage there was even CE lorries in the overtaking lane because of the clown.

I overtook him and moved back left and continued at 100 km/h in the left lane.

We left the motorway at the same exit and he caught up to me at traffic lights, he gestured to wind down my window and said that "you have to give way to traffic joining a motorway" ..this is bullshit isn't it?

He said I should be thankful he doesn't have a dashcam because if he did he'd be reporting me to the Gardaí. He told me to learn the rules of the road. LOL

I passed B in Sweden and had to do motorway lessons, I passed A and D1 here and no motorway lessons. Do you have to do motorway lessons for B here?

When I started driving here at 19 almost 10 years ago I took it upon myself to learn any discrepancies there may be between Irish and Swedish rules of the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

That's what's technically known as a dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

According to https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Leaflets/Leaf_booklets/motorway_driving.pdf you should move into the next lane to allow for traffic merging onto to the motorway.

* Lane 1 – You should always use this lane for normal driving. Stay in this lane unless
    you are overtaking.

• Lane 2 – On a two lane motorway, you should only use this lane for overtaking. You
    must move back to lane 1 once you have finished overtaking and it is safe to do so.
    You can also move into lane 2 to allow vehicles coming from your left to join the
    motorway. On a 3 lane motorway, you may stay in this centre lane while there is
    slower moving traffic in lane 1.

• Lane 3 – You should only use this lane if traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is moving in queues
    and you need to overtake or make room for merging traffic. You should move back
    to lane 1 as soon as it is safe to do so.

Update : from https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Rules_of_the_road.pdf the driver joining must give way to traffic on the motorway and must signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I usually speed up to 120 and move into the outside lane approaching junctions, saves all the hassle of dealing with dickheads like the one you just met.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭POBox19

The roads are full of idiots like that. Pity he didn't have a dashcam to bring to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The number of motorists who think it's illegal to cycle two abreast. It's perfectly legal and advisable. There's even an RSA advert campaign advising motorists of this but on every club ride there's always a few dickhead motorists who feel the need to display their ignorance of the road traffic regulations.

• Advertisement

The number of motorists who think it's illegal to cycle two abreast. It's perfectly legal and advisable. There's even an RSA advert campaign advising motorists of this but on every club ride there's always a few dickhead motorists who feel the need to display their ignorance of the road traffic regulations.

And a few cyclists that feel the need to display their lack of consideration for anyone else on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

That's what's technically known as a dickhead.

A thick delusional one at that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Only 8 posts to get from merging to bicycles, good going - probably not a record though :pac:

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I usually speed up to 120 and move into the outside lane approaching junctions, saves all the hassle of dealing with dickheads like the one you just met.

I do this if approaching what I know will be busy junctions or if it safe to do so.

Closest I ever came to a crash on a motorway was someone pulling out into my path when I was just about overtake him. He was doing it to make it easier for a car merging but obviously didn't check his mirrors.

Just had new brakes fitted and they got a good bedding in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What I find astonishing is he number of motorists who quote the rules of the road (rightly and wrongly) as if they're some sort of sacredly enshrined passages, and when you point out to them that the RTA actually says x and y they get all uppity

• Advertisement

Wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If you look back at old posts in this forum you'll find plenty of cases of posters who think that merging traffic has priority or at least that traffic on the mainline should accommodate them.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62946452

Another misunderstanding of a fundamental rule of the road is in relation to traffic approaching roundabouts. People think that traffic approaching a roundabout "from the right" has priority over vehicles which enter the roundabout ahead of it. This results in a dangerous and absurd situation of, the faster someone approaches a roundabout from the right, the "more priority" they think they have. They can't stop if someone enters the roundabout in front of them while they are still 50 metres from the roundabout. But that's alright as the other road user should have given way :rolleyes: This view is so widespread that it is almost ubiquitous.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055065353

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

This is MY rule - if someone is coming down the slip road to join the motorway and they do not indicate and just assume they are going to make me vanish so they can merge, I will under no circumstances let them join the motorway. Doubt that's in any Rule of the Road but it's in the common courtesy / etiquette imaginary one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

According to https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Leaflets/Leaf_booklets/motorway_driving.pdf you should move into the next lane to allow for traffic merging onto to the motorway.

* Lane 1 – You should always use this lane for normal driving. Stay in this lane unless
    you are overtaking.

• Lane 2 – On a two lane motorway, you should only use this lane for overtaking. You
    must move back to lane 1 once you have finished overtaking and it is safe to do so.
    You can also move into lane 2 to allow vehicles coming from your left to join the
    motorway. On a 3 lane motorway, you may stay in this centre lane while there is
    slower moving traffic in lane 1.

• Lane 3 – You should only use this lane if traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is moving in queues
    and you need to overtake or make room for merging traffic. You should move back
    to lane 1 as soon as it is safe to do so.

I know somebody else has already fixed this post, but it's proof in itself of the thread title - that some people have a funny idea of the Rules of the Road.

There's a big difference between "should" and "can".

sumo12 wrote: »
    This is MY rule - if someone is coming down the slip road to join the motorway and they do not indicate and just assume they are going to make me vanish so they can merge, I will under no circumstances let them join the motorway. Doubt that's in any Rule of the Road but it's in the common courtesy / etiquette imaginary one...

Charming. Just out of curiosity, why would anyone merging into the motorway need to indicate? You know what they're trying to do, just let them merge or if it bothers you that much accelerate past them and let them merge in behind you. Drivers like you are exactly the reason I move to the outer lane at junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And a few cyclists that feel the need to display their lack of consideration for anyone else on the road.

Oh, look who heard the dog whistle. This thread is only going one way...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I don’t believe you did anything wrong but it’s important to protect yourself while driving. Take the decision out of their hands & put it into yours, speed up or slow down temporarily & they can merge in front or behind you.
    Make sure you are in control of what happens to you while driving as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The issue with pandering to the ones who barge on to the motorway thinking that they have priority is that it just reinforces that idea in their minds.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    I don’t believe you did anything wrong but it’s important to protect yourself while driving. Take the decision out of their hands & put it into yours, speed up or slow down temporarily & they can merge in front or behind you.
    Make sure you are in control of what happens to you while driving as much as possible.

Problem with that is when they do the same.

Can you not crowbar cycling in here as it will ruin the thread, dozens of other threads and even whole forums to discuss this.

Also, good to be able to laugh at yourself, obviously too sensitive and had to go squealing to the mods after I made a silly joke about lycra clad men getting sweaty together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

BrianD3 wrote: »

Another misunderstanding of a fundamental rule of the road is in relation to traffic approaching roundabouts. People think that traffic approaching a roundabout "from the right" has priority over vehicles which enter the roundabout ahead of it. This results in a dangerous and absurd situation of, the faster someone approaches a roundabout from the right, the "more priority" they think they have. They can't stop if someone enters the roundabout in front of them while they are still 50 metres from the roundabout. But that's alright as the other road user should have given way :rolleyes: This view is so widespread that it is almost ubiquitous.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055065353

Probably one of the most misunderstood situations on a roundabout - first the person who enters the roundabout first has right of way, even if thats to the left of cars approaching. Second rule give way to the right if that person is already on the roundabout.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

First rule of driving, assume everyone else on the road is a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Fast2move

Hello folks

I’ve been a long time boards member on another account and this is my first time posting on this new one.

You have no idea the amount of grief I got on tick-tock after posting a video of how to enter the motorway correctly

The OP is correct the onus is on the cars Entering the motorway to yield to traffic already on the motorway. And the problem with people changing lanes is it reinforces in the offending peoples minds that their actions and position is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Why do so many people assume they have right of way on a slip? So ****ing tired of cruising on the inside lane, nobody in front or behind and the bellend in the slip doesn't speed up and tried to merge exactly as I pass them. Either that or you get flashed because they had to go behind you...

There's also an unbelievable amount of people who just don't speed up. Going onto the N3 today at Clonee which is a very long slip, did 60kph the whole way down FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

The driver on the slip needs to match the speed on the road they are joining. This driver was joining the road that you were on, OP, so you had priority. Whatever he said to you at the traffic lights was entitled bollix.

And no, we don't do motorway lessons here (which is evident!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

Despite you not being required to change your speed/lane to allow another care to join the motorway - you should be making reasonable accommodation so that you don't encourage a more dangers situation to occur. In most scenarios I'd advocate asserting your right of way as it stops confusion (eg: trying to be nice and flashing a car to pull out of a junction can actually have the reverse effect and put pressure on them, causing them to pull out in front of another car)

Some tips which help everyone out:

Don't overtake cars near an on-ramp. This gives the car in the left lane an opportunity to move right, and keeps you out of trouble if they do unexpectedly move right.

If you're on the motorway and a car is joining, move right if you can.

When joining, indicate this intention. Manners works both ways.

If a car is joining and they're making a meal of it, don't just sit @ 100km/h off their rear bumper because "you have right of way" when you clearly see the end of the slip road coming. You know well that the outcome could be dangerous.

Don't cross 2 lanes when joining. One lane at a time.

When joining, if the car joining in front of you is slow, hold back even more and allow them tonnes of room. You need to have space to accelerate and brake yourself.

When joining, let the car in front join first. I see way too many people trying to leapfrog the car in front, leaving the front car stuck in the slip road.

Fast2move wrote: »
    the problem with people changing lanes is it reinforces in the offending peoples minds that their actions and position is correct

I 100% disagree with this statement. Things happen way too fast on a motorway to be trying to instill behaviours in a population. At 100km/h with a slip road ending, the here and now is the only thing that matters. Don't create a dangerous situation in order to teach a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Redkite200

POBox19 wrote: »
    The roads are full of idiots like that. Pity he didn't have a dashcam to bring to the guards.

This. I was driving in the city yesterday, 2 lane carriageway which has a a 60 Kph limit. I was in lane 2 as at the end you can use it to turn right and the left lane is for going straight on or turning left only. Out of nowhere a young lad (I'd guess 18-25 from what I could see of him) in a black Golf is basically on my rear bumper flashing lights at me in a 'get out of my way' sort of attempt. I was driving at the speed limit maybe a little over it and it's a short stretch of road so I let him keep on with his act, was either that or brake hard and see his reaction but I didn't fancy getting rear ended on my way home and brake testing isn't a very good idea in any situation. What does he do then? Turns left to go into an adjacent slip road off to the left. So after all his bravado he actually needed to be in Lane 1 to take the slip road off to the left and there was no need for him to be behind me. The road was busy so even if I had become invisible and he sped up when he wanted to he'd have needed to change lanes and turn off anyway, there was nothing to be gained from it. I just shook my head at him. I mean wtf like?

Absolute f*cking gob****es out there. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The RSA had adverts a few years ago. You should move out to allow cars on from a slip road when it is safe to do so. Probably too sensible for some of the neanderthals on the road.

whiterebel wrote: »
    The RSA had adverts a few years ago. You should move out to allow cars on from a slip road when it is safe to do so. Probably too sensible for some of the neanderthals on the road.

Exactly.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »

Again all well in theory but the OP was pottering along at 100 on the motorway. If he pulls out he's impeding traffic looking to overtake even if the lane is relatively clear when he starts the maneuver. My wife does this, and is also of the pottering persuasion, she occasionally ends up with the joining car not allowing her back in or undertaking her.

It's really not that difficult to merge by adjusting speed on the slip road.

I agree it's nice to move out, but it shouldn't be expected and isn't always appropriate to do so, especially for slower drivers who it's even easier to avoid.

Advertisement