Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fav Alcohol Free Beer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Are there any other low alcohol craft beers similar to Galway Bay Brewery Weights + Measures but with less calories?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

PWEI wrote: »
    Are there any other low alcohol craft beers similar to Galway Bay Brewery Weights + Measures but with less calories?

I don't know about calorie content, but Whiplash's Micro IPA is a great lower alcohol beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I don't know about calorie content, but Whiplash's Micro IPA is a great lower alcohol beer.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm also not concerned with calorie content (of beer at least) but I'd imagine most lower abv are also lower calorie?

Trick of the light in aldi by carlow brewing is 33 calories per 100ml according to the bottle in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Peroni had been my go to.
    Recently tried Wicklow Wolf Moonlight which I thought was quite good, reminded me of hoegaarden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Gave up the booze a few weeks ago and I've just started buying NA since last week. Pleasantly surprised and really enjoying most of them.
    Started off with Hazy AF which I thought was horrible.
    Went to Mace by James hospital and tried their selection. I liked all of them. To Ol and both Lervigs were decent. Not a massive fan of Wicklow Wolf but Moonlight is actually better than most of their alcoholic beers in my opinion. My favourites though are Brooklyn Special Effects and Mikkeler Drinking in the Sun.
    Usually only drank ales or stouts before so no real interest trying the usual 0.0 lagers. I'm hoping the novelty doesn't wear off soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm also not concerned with calorie content (of beer at least) but I'd imagine most lower abv are also lower calorie?

Trick of the light in aldi by carlow brewing is 33 calories per 100ml according to the bottle in the fridge.

Not always the case. Alot of reduced/no alcohol beers have extra sugar to supplement the taste.

Any white smoke on the Non Alcoholic Guinness ? they must have some serious production issues!

End of August, start of September is what they are aiming for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

+1 for brewdog nanny state. Guinness also do a really nice lager too (think it’s .5%) in a blue can but can’t remember what it’s called. I have a load of them in the fridge

Pure Brew from Guinness? I think it’s one of the best.

+1 for Aldi Roadworks also. Had first one yesterday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Had a can of ToOL Implosion last night and I was quite impressed, I actually did a double check to see if it was low alcohol rather than NA, which I think is a testament to it. Good body and head to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Gerstel is a bit gassy but I like it,

Brewdog Nanny State is great
    The Aldi IPA is not bad at all

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seeing as this thread has long since stretched to 0.5%ers - Kinnegar have announced that Low Tide is now 1% instead, to give it more body. Which it needed tbh. Will try it again now but it's going to stop some people drinking it I expect. More chance of actually putting yourself over the limit before your bladder explodes from fluid volume for one thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭dzilla

donaghs wrote: »
    Pure Brew from Guinness? I think it’s one of the best.

+1 for Aldi Roadworks also. Had first one yesterday

would love if they did a 500 ml on the pure brew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I had the Dungarvan Main Sail over the weekend and was impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭banana_bear

The best non alcoholic beers I found so far (and the only ones I'm currently drinking, there's a big gap between these and all the others I tried so far):

- Punk AF from brewdog. The only one that could pass as an alcoholic beer. Awesome stuff, but very expensive.
    - Patronus wheat beer from lidl. Very nice stuff too, close to the real deal.
    - Lidls alcohol free IPA (looks like this: https://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/20133986/ipa-non-alcoholic-lidl)
    Not quite as nice as the brewdog, but definitely IPAish and a lot cheaper than Punk AF.

I also quite like Erdinger alcohol free, but for me that doesn't taste like beer at all. A nice drink in its own right, but it doesn't scratch the itch.

I really didn't rate the Lidl one compared to Aldi, although a while since I've had it. May have one buried in the stash though I may grad for the fridge to retry.

Long cycle planned for the morning, so have a few in. Box of Nanny State, couple of roadworks, erdinger Lemon, erdinger grapefruit(?), and a Kinnegar Low Tide if I decide to push out the boat!

To be honest, the erdinger is only really there for hydration purposes ahead of the early start (no pun intended).

I tried Lervig no worries last night. Very good, I'll definitely be getting more of this. Much nicer than the likes of Heineken zero etc.

It's a while since I had Nanny State, but for me, still one of the best out there. Didn't get around to the Lidl one in the end. I enjoyed the Low Tide, but very much a pale ale, so not sure it would go down well with haze heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Just found 'Pure Brew' by Guinness. It's a 0.5% lager. Very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

I tried a couple of the Omnipollo NA, got them on craft central. Decent if you like juicey pale ales. Hard to believe they are non alcoholic.
    Picked up Roadworks and Rossini in Aldi. Impressed with both also.
    Been almost two months off the booze now and the quality of the NA stuff is making it pretty easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Roadworks IPA and Rossini from Aldi are streets ahead of the rest for me, especially when you take price into consideration. I just wish they sold them in cans.
    The Lidl IPA is horrible compared to the Aldi one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The father in law had high praise for Aldi's Rheinbacher 0.0. The regular version is decent so I might give it a go.

Regular is lovely but I've yet to find a 0.0 that is drinkable, has to be 0.5

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Roadworks IPA and Rossini from Aldi are streets ahead of the rest for me, especially when you take price into consideration. I just wish they sold them in cans.
    The Lidl IPA is horrible compared to the Aldi one.

I really like Rossini. I find some AF beers can taste like they're missing a bit of bite, but Rossini doesn't. The Early Start IPA is nice too, though I prefer Punk AF. The Punk AF are in cans, though slightly more expensive than the Early Start IPA - I think Punk are sold 4 cans for €6 or €7 depending where you buy it.

One I've seen recommended is Wicklow Wolf. I tried it recently and I wasn't a fan.

I think I had Wicklow Wolf it's not bad but twice the price of Roadworks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Pete Moss wrote: »

One I've seen recommended is Wicklow Wolf. I tried it recently and I wasn't a fan.

I had it and it was awful. It just tasted metallic and must have been a spoiled batch.
    I haven't seen it anywhere else since.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Guinness 0.0 is back next month in pubs, and August in shops, for them as was asking.

I haven't seen it anywhere else since.
    I had some one Sunday (trying to be sensible post vaccine) and I thought it was nicer than the last time I had it. It was brought in the taproom on the way home though, so could've been very fresh I guess.

I've also been drinking Nanny State a bit as it's lidl now - definitely prefer it over the Punk AF. I also tried a few of the lervig over recent weeks - nice, but I'm not sure I rate them worth the extra over Early Start, Nanny State, Moonlight tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Paddigol

+1 for Roadworks IPA - I've only seen it in Aldi, but an independent brewer afaik. I'd be fairly confident that in a blind taste test it would beat a lot of 'alcoholic' IPAs.

Nanny State would be my second preference, but price alone swings it in favour of Roadworks every time.

It's great to see the growing range of N/A beer options.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Paddigol wrote: »
    +1 for Roadworks IPA - I've only seen it in Aldi
    It's an Aldi own brand.
    Paddigol wrote: »
    but an independent brewer afaik.
    Sort of. They're a multinational animal feed company which bought a couple of breweries and distilleries for the laugh.

Advertisement