Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fav Alcohol Free Beer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

flanzer wrote: »
    Was drinking Aldi's Early Start over the weekend, for the first time. Even if it was full on 5%/6% IPA, I would still say it was lovely. Proper IPA scent off it, and has a taste that lingers in the mouth, longer than any other NA beers I know of.

And at €1.69 for a 500ml bottle :eek: .. Just might be my go to beer now, irrespective of the alcohol content

Enjoying one right now, it's a great drink at a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes, from the last few weeks of research and trying all sorts of non alcs (I don't even bother with 0.0 alcohol ones as they're all manky), the Aldi IPA 0.5 and the Brown Bear Lager 0.5 overall are the best ones flavour and pricewise.
    About to crack one myself.
    I have to say the non alc beers have been so good for me since New Year's. I was in the habit of having a couple of real beers most nights and it all adds up, now I've only drank once since NYE. I'm gonna have a few on Saturday though.
    Non alc kind of gives me something to sip on in the evenings without disturbing my sleep or having a head on me the next day.
    Can't wait for the Guinness, if it ever comes out, they seem to be reinventing the wheel on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The Early start is very good. I've tried most of the NA options at this stage, and it's prob my favourite.
    The isotonic ones are good in the summer, Erdinger Paulaner etc, and there's one in Dunnes for 65c or so that's nicer than the big brands imo, can't think of it's name now though.
    I must get some brown bear, as people here seem to rate it. I hate the other brown bear range so that's why i avoided it.

Yes I have a thing for Erdinger in 500ml cans, which they do in Dunnes now. Muy refrescante.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Early Start down to €1.26 in Aldi now. I'm sure it was €1.69 last week! Some price for that beer. Stocked up for the next 2 or 3 weekends!

• Advertisement

flanzer wrote: »
    Early Start down to €1.26 in Aldi now. I'm sure it was €1.69 last week! Some price for that beer. Stocked up for the next 2 or 3 weekends!

Yes that's what I paid for it the other night. This is why all round it's by far the best one on the market. I just wish they did 500ml cans of it, my life would be complete. No f*cking bottle bank journeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

Fair play for the recommendation on early start folks. Picked up a couple today and really enjoyed the first one. I went through my fair share of NA beers during dry January and this is by far the best.... Also honourable mentions to Lervigs pineapple and grapefruit pale ales. Both very tasty but twice the price of Aldi's beer and only a 330ml can. Also enjoyed some of the Erdinger grapefruit and Lemon NA beers, both refreshing and cheap as chips in Tesco's

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Any chance someone could post a pic of the Early Start beer? I can't seem to find anything about it.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Any chance someone could post a pic of the Early Start beer? I can't seem to find anything about it.

Search Roadworks Early Start.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

keane2097 wrote: »

This is the one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thanks friends

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Beaverstown Lazer Crush recently and it’s quite nice. Not sure if it’s on sale anywhere in Ireland yet but worth a try if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I've been milling into the cans since finding them in the local. Very decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Does anyone have any experience with buying alcohol free beer outside of the "permitted alcohol sale hours" these days? I mean after the recent legislation changes?

I usually go and do the weekly shopping first thing in the morning and I'd scoop up a few of the recommendations from this thread next time I go, but up until recently you couldn't buy alcohol free beer before 10:30 on week days.

I was in my local Tesco this morning at 8.15 and picked up some Free Dam n/a beer. Thought I'd give it a try and see if I could buy it. Cashier said 'ya can't buy alcohol till 12.30'. I told her it was alcohol free. She said 'I'll have to check with the manager'. She called him over and I explained it was 0.0% alcohol and he said it was fine and checked it through! Drinking one now. Not bad at all! Had a So Beer last night and it was ok too if a bit tasteless but this one is much nicer. Doesn't have that horrible malty taste you get with a lot of a/f beers. They are getting much better thank God!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

So Beer is absolutely awful.

L1011 wrote: »

I had it chilled for about a week before I drank it! There are two types - one has a hint of grapefruit which isn't nice at all. The other is quite tasteless but it was free so I didn't mind! I wouldn't buy it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Got it as a freebie from a sample thing I signed up to (see Bargain Alerts) and it was truly dreadful. Sink pour :/ They're making it in Larkin's.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I got mine free also (load sent in to work - most of it is still there!) - has anyone actually made the mistake of buying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I got mine free also (load sent in to work - most of it is still there!) - has anyone actually made the mistake of buying it?

Well I was going to, but not now!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I got it in Dunnes.

Yes Dunnes, haven’t seen it anywhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

Birra moretti zero was on special in super value last night so tried it.

Best tasting zero beer so far !! Had peroni after it and was such a bad drop in taste

I think I have tried 10 brands and moretti is top.
    Tried this recently & I’d agree, it’s the nicest I’ve had as well although I haven’t tried the Aldi ones being recommended on here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

bluestone wrote: »
    Tried this recently & I’d agree, it’s the nicest I’ve had as well although I haven’t tried the Aldi ones being recommended on here
    It's a different style of beer in fairness. If you drink lager, it may not be for you. If you like Pale Ales it's a decent alternative.

fwiw gave some to missus on Saturday who does drink IPA's (as I was having an early start!) without telling her the Roadworks was AF, and she thought it was nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

bluestone wrote: »

Tesco had this reduced to clear for €2.50 for 3 so picked up 6 bottles. Had some last night and not a fan at all. Had a really weird after taste to it. Worst of the lager ones I've tried, personal opinion of course but think Heineken Zero is miles better.

I tried the Brewdog 0.5% one yesterday. €7 for 4 small tins :eek:

Shocking stuff. SO bitter it would make a pig wink!

I tried the Brewdog 0.5% one yesterday. €7 for 4 small tins :eek!

Which one?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I used to really like Punk AF, I thought it was a gamechanger. Had a few cans lately though and I felt it was thinner, somehow less hoppy.

Would there be any chance that a recipe change has quietly occurred after the initial launch?

Which one?

Punk AF

Punk AF

Ah that's a shame.
    As black sheep said above, punk af was a game changer.
    It would be a shame if they have let it go to the dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Any white smoke on the Non Alcoholic Guinness ? they must have some serious production issues!

Advertisement