Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fav Alcohol Free Beer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

That's the one. I drank it out of the can so didn't see the colour! I'm going to go get a couple shortly, I'm finding dry Jan easier with a better range in non alcs.
    Can't wait for the Guinness, should it ever happen.

Definitely. Such a huge selection these days. Though I feel like I'm cheating as they are all 0.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Definitely. Such a huge selection these days. Though I feel like I'm cheating as they are all 0.5%.

They really have to be 0.5 for them to taste anything like beer, the 0 ones are just awful, they all taste like tomatoey pasta sauce to me.

They really have to be 0.5 for them to taste anything like beer, the 0 ones are just awful, they all taste like tomatoey pasta sauce to me.

Carlsberg and erdinger are awfully sweet, but a synthetic sweetness which is worse again. The Heineken zero is not as bad and very drinkable.
    But I think you're right with the half a percent idea. Ipa is more flavoursome anyway so atleast something small remains after the alcohol is gone.

Isn't most of the price of a beer or at least a lot of it, tax? If that's the case why do they charge the same for non alcs as they do for alcs, pretty much?
    Seen as they are so keen to introduce MUP, you'd think they'd do something the opposite so that non alcoholic beers are half the price they are now.
    The craft beer ones are especially ridiculously priced.

Isn't most of the price of a beer or at least a lot of it, tax? If that's the case why do they charge the same for non alcs as they do for alcs, pretty much?
    Seen as they are so keen to introduce MUP, you'd think they'd do something the opposite so that non alcoholic beers are half the price they are now.
    The craft beer ones are especially ridiculously priced.

Agreed but I think it could have more to do with logistics costs. Manufacturing, distributing will cost the same even if there is no alcohol. And then it takes up the same space on the shelf so if the shelf space is potentially worth x, than they must charge at least x for whatever sits there.
    In reference to craft beers I don't mind paying extra when they're strong, but I agree that it's annoying to pay the same for a 2% or 0% as you do for a 6%.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Isn't most of the price of a beer or at least a lot of it, tax?
    Not really, no. I make it 68c extra tax due on 500ml of 5% ABV beer, vs a non-alcoholic one.
    why do they charge the same for non alcs as they do for alcs, pretty much?
    The marketing spend around the big brands, especially this time of year, is enormous. There's also the issue of brand equity: they can't allow Heineken/Carlsberg/Peroni/Whatever to be seen as cheap, even a version with no alcohol in it.

With mass market beers, both normal and N/A, the cost of production and distribution has very little to do with the the retail price. Enjoy the ads: you're paying for them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Is there much additional production cost associated with dealcoholising N/A beers, or is it pretty cheap to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Zaph wrote: »
    Is there much additional production cost associated with dealcoholising N/A beers, or is it pretty cheap to do?
    Not really 100% on this, but I thought the big step forward in the Non and Low Alcoholic beers was yeast that doesn't convert to alcohol. Rather than them having to heat to remove the alcohol (like awful ones like Kaliber).

Zaph wrote: »
    As a proportion of the retail price it would be negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Anything on the N/A Guinness yet of the grapevines :-) ?

Must have been a very bad quality issue if they have not launched it yet !

• Advertisement

Better to wait than have a repeat of the pear cider pandemic some years back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Not really 100% on this, but I thought the big step forward in the Non and Low Alcoholic beers was yeast that doesn't convert to alcohol. Rather than them having to heat to remove the alcohol (like awful ones like Kaliber).

Most of the improvements has come from ethanol selective reverse osmosis membranes I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Latest update from Guinness' Twitter is that they have paused production for now. Whoops.

https://twitter.com/GuinnessIreland/status/1346502922666995713

https://twitter.com/GuinnessIreland/status/1346074017711718400

I used to buy cans of mid strength Guinness in London, were they ever available here? Is it still out there on draught?
    I found it a lifesaver at weddings and other all dayer things, I could drink away without being absolutely rat arsed.

I used to buy cans of mid strength Guinness in London, were they ever available here? Is it still out there on draught?
    It still exists on draught, mainly in sports clubs, but I don't think it was ever sold canned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Having the Lervig no worries grapefruit tonight. Very very good. Big move up from Heineken and open gate.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Having the Lervig no worries grapefruit tonight. Very very good. Big move up from Heineken and open gate.

Anybody had the pineapple no worries yet?
    Saw it release in craft central the day after I put my big alcohol free order in.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It still exists on draught, mainly in sports clubs, but I don't think it was ever sold canned here.

Yeah for some reason I thought it might still be in Golf clubs and the likes, they used to have it at my local GAA club too.
    Australia is the mid strength beer capital of the world, I used to love drinking 3% beers all day long at barbecues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭dzilla

BeerNut wrote: »

Is it really?

I liked the idea off it years ago,, ya could chance a pint with your dinner.

Haven't seen it in pubs in years though.

Any recommendations for an NA beer for tonight ? I tried the Hino N/A and was not my cup of tea.

Any help would be great for a man suffering in dry January :D

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »
    Is it really?

I liked the idea off it years ago,, ya could chance a pint with your dinner.

Haven't seen it in pubs in years though.
    The one out of my five locals that had it, got it taken out after about 6 months. It just wasn't selling. I actually think 0% might do better, if or when (I guess Guinness have a while to solve the problems on draft at least). Too much "might as well have a proper pint" with the mid strength.

Any recommendations for an NA beer for tonight ? I tried the Hino N/A and was not my cup of tea.

Any help would be great for a man suffering in dry January :D

Depends what you like. Can recommend a few non alcoholic ipas, lagers are harder to come by.

Depends what you like. Can recommend a few non alcoholic ipas, lagers are harder to come by.

Anything will do that resembles Alcohol !!

Aldi/ Roadworks "Early Start" IPA or the Brewdog options (Nanny State or Punk AF) probably the easiest to get hold of.

Aldi/ Roadworks "Early Start" IPA or the Brewdog options (Nanny State or Punk AF) probably the easiest to get hold of.

Was thinking brew dog ill give it a try tonight - but if I go back on the beer will blame Boards :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Anyone know when Guinness 0.0 will be back on shelves ?

Guinness website simply says :

We are working hard to return Guinness 0.0 to shelves as soon as possible. Production will only recommence when we are completely satisfied that we have eliminated the root cause of the issue and the product meets the highest standards of quality that we and our Guinness drinkers expect.

Anything will do that resembles Alcohol !!

https://craftcentral.ie/collections/non-alcoholic

All of these are nice, except the Kinnegar 'low tide'. The only Kinnegar beer that didn't impress me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The one out of my five locals that had it, got it taken out after about 6 months. It just wasn't selling.

I've only ever seen it on draught in one conventional pub - Pebble Beach in Clontarf which is beside two golf clubs.

Its absolutely a sports club bar product - probably legal(for a normal sized adult with normal alcohol handling and metabolism, etc etc) to have one after a round/match with the current drink drive rules and maybe two in the old days; not that they can explicitly say that; and not that anyone is to take this as advice to drive after drinking any alcohol.

Anybody had the pineapple no worries yet?
    Saw it release in craft central the day after I put my big alcohol free order in.

Got some of the pineapple tonight, it's very nice.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    I've only ever seen it on draught in one conventional pub - Pebble Beach in Clontarf which is beside two golf clubs.
    I had it in Doheny & Nesbitt which presumably stocked it because most of Ireland's important decision-makers don't have a ministerial driver to bring them home after the negotiations.

Advertisement