Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fav Alcohol Free Beer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 KP81

Friend of mine describes AFB as follows: it’s like licking out your sister, tastes good but you know something isn’t quite right 😉.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

KP81 wrote: »
    tastes good
    "tastes the same" is how that old joke goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bunny_

I don't really see any sense in free alcohol beer huh

banchang wrote: »
    Anyone know when Guinness 0.0 will be back on shelves ?

Guinness website simply says :

We are working hard to return Guinness 0.0 to shelves as soon as possible. Production will only recommence when we are completely satisfied that we have eliminated the root cause of the issue and the product meets the highest standards of quality that we and our Guinness drinkers expect.

They still don't know what caused the contamination issue before. Also they are waiting until the public forget about the contamination issue! It's going to be a few more months before its relaunched.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

This stuff is not bad.

Tastes like wattery ipa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

They still don't know what caused the contamination issue before. Also they are waiting until the public forget about the contamination issue! It's going to be a few more months before its relaunched.

I doubt that much of the public are aware that the product even exists. It never made it to the shelves in ireland was never marketed beyond some media previews and was released to limited areas in England.

I don’t believe that they don’t know what the cause of contamination is and suspect the re-release will be driven by an updated marketing plan.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I doubt that much of the public are aware that the product even exists. It never made it to the shelves in ireland was never marketed beyond some media previews and was released to limited areas in England.

I don’t believe that they don’t know what the cause of contamination is and suspect the re-release will be driven by an updated marketing plan.

What I originally posted is pretty much what I was told by our Diageo rep. The public are very much aware of it. We get asked about it in work every few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

Had franziskaner n/a last night, preferred it to erdinger

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a new product called SoBeer being advertised on YouTube. I was given some by someone who got a promo pack.

The "lager" actually tastes of nothing, may as well be water. The one they imply should taste like a NEIPA tastes like fruit cordial.

Avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

L1011 wrote: »
    I've only ever seen it on draught in one conventional pub - Pebble Beach in Clontarf which is beside two golf clubs.
    Well it was in a conventional pub (albeit with a kitchen, but mainly a local) that did a fair bit of day tripper trade. Now I think of it, I don't know did the main food pubs have it.

The problem up here, pre-covid, is that stuff that sells with the tourist/ day tripper trade doesn't during the week. (Off topic, hence it is hard for WW to get any kind of foothold in the "locals" pubs. It only survives/ survived in the tourist trap/ more restaurant than pub places).

• Advertisement

bluestone wrote: »

I'd agree it's better than Erdinger, although standard Erdinger is a bad, tasteless example of a Hefeweizen so no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Birra moretti zero was on special in super value last night so tried it.

Best tasting zero beer so far !! Had peroni after it and was such a bad drop in taste

I think I have tried 10 brands and moretti is top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

L1011 wrote: »
    There's a new product called SoBeer being advertised on YouTube. I was given some by someone who got a promo pack.

The "lager" actually tastes of nothing, may as well be water. The one they imply should taste like a NEIPA tastes like fruit cordial.

Avoid

For anyone wanting to still try it... from the Freebies List thread:

At the bottom there is a coupon for the So.Beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

bluestone wrote: »

Where did you get that? Love franziskaner!

Where did you get that? Love franziskaner!

I got it in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

My local Tesco has been stocking Free Damm 0.0 for the last few months - from the crowd of Estrella Damm. I find it one of the nicer tasting NA lagers and one of the cheapest (€3.60 or thereabouts for 4 cans).

The Spanish were always a bit ahead on the NA front from what I recall as a lot of their big name breweries had NA versions before Heineken came along and popularity soared - San Miguel and Estrella Galicia NA also nice.

Didn’t enjoy Nanny State at all, Punk AF was decent from Brewdog.

I had Peroni and Moretti last summer and found them too citrusy, but I just had both again over the weekend and really enjoyed them this time round (maybe Dry Jan altering my taste!).

Looking forward for Guinness 0.0 to come out to try though..!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭banana_bear

Does anyone have any experience with buying alcohol free beer outside of the "permitted alcohol sale hours" these days? I mean after the recent legislation changes?

I usually go and do the weekly shopping first thing in the morning and I'd scoop up a few of the recommendations from this thread next time I go, but up until recently you couldn't buy alcohol free beer before 10:30 on week days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I had the brooklyn lager n/a a few months back , really good ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Does anyone have any experience with buying alcohol free beer outside of the "permitted alcohol sale hours" these days? I mean after the recent legislation changes?

I usually go and do the weekly shopping first thing in the morning and I'd scoop up a few of the recommendations from this thread next time I go, but up until recently you couldn't buy alcohol free beer before 10:30 on week days.
    I'd try and see? I've been in when people have been at 10.25 trying to buy wine, and they just say no, no big deal (bar they have to loop around for just the wine).

fwiw in my local Dunnes and Tesco, the N/A is outside the gated alcohol section. In Aldi and Lidl, N/A is with the alcoholic beer, so I'm not sure you'd even get to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I wonder if alot of n/a beer being 0.5% would counter that though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I wonder if alot of n/a beer being 0.5% would counter that though.
    A drink at 0.5% ABV is non-intoxicating, so the laws around intoxicating liquor would not apply. I think supermarket systems have always treated non-alcoholic beers the same as alcoholic ones (eg age checks and time restrictions) because so many of them have the same branding as alcoholic versions. A bunch of kids walking out with a try of non-alcoholic Heineken would be a bad look, even if it's perfectly legal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Irrelevantly but interestingly, at least to me, for advertising time restrictions NA beers with brand names of normal alcohol beers are treated as if they are the normal alcohol product. But that's a completely unconnected regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭banana_bear

To answer my own question: I just went to Tesco Wicklow, where the alcohol free beer is seperate and outside of the alcohol section (which is fenced off with saloon doors). I put three 4packs of completely alcohol free (0.0) beer in the trolley, none of them would scan. The cashier apologized and even tried to input the barcodes manually, which was nice of her but unsurprisingly fruitless.

I wrote Tesco a mail, not expecting much though to be honest. At best there will be a reply along the lines of "you can't because it's our policy".

Apart from the fact that this means I can either not buy any alcohol free beer at all, or go shopping after 10:30 when the shops are full with people, it's the idiocy of this that frustrates me the most. I can buy a can of coke (with sugar! OMG!) at 8am, but I can't buy a can of cereal soup because it has the word "beer" on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

To answer my own question: I just went to Tesco Wicklow, where the alcohol free beer is seperate and outside of the alcohol section (which is fenced off with saloon doors). I put three 4packs of completely alcohol free (0.0) beer in the trolley, none of them would scan. The cashier apologized and even tried to input the barcodes manually, which was nice of her but unsurprisingly fruitless.

I wrote Tesco a mail, not expecting much though to be honest. At best there will be a reply along the lines of "you can't because it's our policy".

Apart from the fact that this means I can either not buy any alcohol free beer at all, or go shopping after 10:30 when the shops are full with people, it's the idiocy of this that frustrates me the most. I can buy a can of coke (with sugar! OMG!) at 8am, but I can't buy a can of cereal soup because it has the word "beer" on it.

That's really annoying. I noticed when I was doing my shopping online if I put Heineken zero in the basket and my delivery slot was outside the trading hours for alcohol, it would be flagged that they couldn't deliver it. Very bad form to be discouraging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Antares35 wrote: »
    That's really annoying. I noticed when I was doing my shopping online if I put Heineken zero in the basket and my delivery slot was outside the trading hours for alcohol, it would be flagged that they couldn't deliver it. Very bad form to be discouraging it.

It's beyond stupid but not the worst I've seen.

I was in a pub in the UK a couple of years ago just before Christmas and there was a note on the menu that they would not serve Christmas pudding to under 18s because there was alcohol in the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Anyone know why Guinness zero still hasn’t come on the market?

Anyone know why Guinness zero still hasn’t come on the market?

Because they still don't know what caused the contamination issue that meant they couldn't launch it first time around. It will be a few months at least before it is released. This is according to the Diageo rep I deal with at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Because they still don't know what caused the contamination issue that meant they couldn't launch it first time around. It will be a few months at least before it is released. This is according to the Diageo rep I deal with at work.

Thanks. I see there’s talk of a budvar non alcoholic too. That has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Was drinking Aldi's Early Start over the weekend, for the first time. Even if it was full on 5%/6% IPA, I would still say it was lovely. Proper IPA scent off it, and has a taste that lingers in the mouth, longer than any other NA beers I know of.

And at €1.69 for a 500ml bottle :eek: .. Just might be my go to beer now, irrespective of the alcohol content

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭dzilla

flanzer wrote: »
    Was drinking Aldi's Early Start over the weekend, for the first time. Even if it was full on 5%/6% IPA, I would still say it was lovely. Proper IPA scent off it, and has a taste that lingers in the mouth, longer than any other NA beers I know of.

And at €1.69 for a 500ml bottle :eek: .. Just might be my go to beer now, irrespective of the alcohol content

This and Gerstel have been a game changer for me this year. I was so long looking for a non alcoholic that gave the heaviness and mouth feel of real beer without the aftertaste of a non alcoholic (hard to describe, kind of like a lingering wort taste you get from bad homebrew) and these really do it for me.

Advertisement