Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fav Alcohol Free Beer?

Options

Comments

listermint wrote: »
    But why bother ...

Might make it a bit nicer and only half the alcohol content of a regular pint of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭elperello

But why bother ...
    Might make it a bit nicer and only half the alcohol content of a regular pint of it.

It was just a thought, might be handy if you wanted to have few pints without the usual alcohol level.

I might try it if I ever get back into a pub :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

elperello wrote: »
    It was just a thought, might be handy if you wanted to have few pints without the usual alcohol level.

I might try it if I ever get back into a pub :)

I remember Tesco used to to a Tesco value beer :D it was ridiculously cheap but it had about 2percent alcohol so you could basically double up. So if you'd normally just be allowed one can, you could have two of these. It was no craft beer thats for sure but it was no worse than carlsberg, Heineken etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

But it tastes the same.

And plus there's and inante understanding of the placebo effect of alcohol that tastes like alcohol.

No point in mixing it tbh

But it tastes the same.

And plus there's and inante understanding of the placebo effect of alcohol that tastes like alcohol.

No point in mixing it tbh

But they don’t taste the same. It’s nearly as good as non alcohol gets in comparison to the original but it’s still not that close. Has that thin taste of something missing that they all suffer from. Adding some of the real stuff for a 2% pint would be well worth trying.

• Advertisement

But they don’t taste the same. It’s nearly as good as non alcohol gets in comparison to the original but it’s still not that close. Has that thin taste of something missing that they all suffer from. Adding some of the real stuff for a 2% pint would be well worth trying.

A bit like a shandy without the sweetness of 7up or lemonade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Heineken is horrible.
    Heineken Zero is horrible.
    Maybe they cancel each other out and together make something that you wouldn't be reluctant to bathe a pig in.

Heineken is horrible.
    Heineken Zero is horrible.
    Maybe they cancel each other out and together make something that you wouldn't be reluctant to bathe a pig in.

I’m taking it from the point of view of someone who likes Heineken. You clearly don’t, I’m not mad about it myself even though I admire their consistency, but millions do like it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Heineken tried a 3% draught product which was not successful; so I don't think there's a huge market for mixing Zero and the normal product!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Masala

What the latest on the Guinness 00. No media launches etc... gone all quiet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

What I find about the non alcoholic beers is that you drink I litre and pee about 10 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

In preparation for dry January is there a consensus on the best non alcoholic beer? I've had Heineken Zero which was ok as they go but would prefer something with a bit more taste. I saw Brewdog have one in Tesco so might give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

In preparation for dry January is there a consensus on the best non alcoholic beer? I've had Heineken Zero which was ok as they go but would prefer something with a bit more taste. I saw Brewdog have one in Tesco so might give that a go.

Dunnes has one of the best selections. Try a few. You can't fault Brewdog, though, except on price...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rinleezz

The first iteration of alcohol free beer was just disgusting, but I fee like in today's "0 zone" boom, they're all quite nice. If I end up at a pub anytime soon(wishful thinking) I'll still probably go for the Erdinger alkofrei, a timeless classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Trued peroni alcohol free tonight. Very tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Has anyone had lervigs non alcoholic stout yet?
    Driving home for Xmas it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭sully123

Tesco have 20% off most of their N/A beer range starting tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Has anyone had lervigs non alcoholic stout yet?
    Driving home for Xmas it's called.

No but my mate tried their Na Pale Ale and said its the closest to the real thing he's ever tasted, said he'd tried about 10 different na beers in last year or so and they all had the horrible wheat taste that na beers tend to have apart from the Lervig, 1.97 in Supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

sully123 wrote: »
    Tesco have 20% off most of their N/A beer range starting tomorrow!
    I tried to stock up before Christmas and they had none of the Brewdogs in stock at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

The aldi roadworks ipa 0.5% is surprisingly nice at €1.29 a bottle.

Must give it a try. The Lidl 330ml bottle 0.5% IPA is a just a bit too odd tasting for me.

I thought Diageo/guinness did a good job with "Pure Brew" 0.5%. Haven't seen it in a few months though?

• Advertisement

No but my mate tried their Na Pale Ale and said its the closest to the real thing he's ever tasted, said he'd tried about 10 different na beers in last year or so and they all had the horrible wheat taste that na beers tend to have apart from the Lervig, 1.97 in Supervalu.

Just got a hold of some. The can itself actually says its a spicy Xmas ale. Its not great, it actually tastes like bánana bread.
    Agree about their pale ale, no worries it's called. It's very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

donaghs wrote: »
    Must give it a try. The Lidl 330ml bottle 0.5% IPA is a just a bit too odd tasting for me.
    The Roadworks/ Aldi one is way nicer than the Lidl one imo.

I'm getting alot from this place. Very good selection.
    https://craftcentral.ie/collections/non-alcoholic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Having one called "Northern Monk" it's a non alcoholic IPA. Really nice, probably the nicest non alcoholic beer I've had.
    It's 0.5%, I've yet to taste a good 0.0 one, I think you need the .5 to have them half decent.

Having one called "Northern Monk" it's a non alcoholic IPA. Really nice, probably the nicest non alcoholic beer I've had.
    It's 0.5%, I've yet to taste a good 0.0 one, I think you need the .5 to have them half decent.

Super stredge?
    It's remarkably tasty for something that's so thin, and remarkably coloured.

Super stredge?
    It's remarkably tasty for something that's so thin, and remarkably coloured.

That's the one. I drank it out of the can so didn't see the colour! I'm going to go get a couple shortly, I'm finding dry Jan easier with a better range in non alcs.
    Can't wait for the Guinness, should it ever happen.

Ok we have a winner, for me anyway, has none of that weird tomatoey alcohol free beer taste you usually get in lagers. This sets the standard for me now!

rothaus.jpg

Ok we have a winner, for me anyway, has none of that weird tomatoey alcohol free beer taste you usually get in lagers. This sets the standard for me now!
    /QUOTE]

Where do you get that one?

Not sure where you are, but McHugh's in Artane.
    I was in Konstanz in Germany last year and Rothaus seems to be the main beer in that part of Germany, it's delicious, first time I've had the non alc one though, can't believe how good it is.

• Advertisement

Not sure where you are, but McHugh's in Artane.
    I was in Konstanz in Germany last year and Rothaus seems to be the main beer in that part of Germany, it's delicious, first time I've had the non alc one though, can't believe how good it is.

Out of range for now.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll try it when the 5k limit is lifted.

Advertisement