Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,764 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Get your facts straight. Alot of high risk people in group 7 are still waiting on their vaccine.

And those people should continue to be careful - as indeed they should generally as it's usually not just Covid they might be at risk from.

However for the vast majority of our population, Covid is little to no risk as has been proven by the numbers of the last year.

We cannot continue to expect that same majority to put their jobs, lives and wellbeing on hold because a thankfully very small percentage of people MIGHT get sick or worse. Even the Government has realised that - albeit as the money has started to run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    And those people should continue to be careful - as indeed they should generally as it's usually not just Covid they might be at risk from.

However for the vast majority of our population, Covid is little to no risk as has been proven by the numbers of the last year.

We cannot continue to expect that same majority to put their jobs, lives and wellbeing on hold because a thankfully very small percentage of people MIGHT get sick or worse. Even the Government has realised that - albeit as the money has started to run out.

Nope. You are so wrong. We must all continue to follow the health advice until it is safe to to so and wearing masks is still mandatory, you know because half the population still aren't vaccinated. We shouldn't be listening to a bunch of anti maskers that feels upset over wearing a piece of fabric over their mouth and nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

PLease explain how wearing a mask in certain situations puts the majority of jobs on hold?

Sconsey wrote: »
    PLease explain how wearing a mask in certain situations puts the majority of jobs on hold?

They want a life without masks. Increase cases again and another lockdown and blame it all on masks.

Nope. You are so wrong. We must all continue to follow the health advice until it is safe to to so and wearing masks is still mandatory, you know because half the population still aren't vaccinated. We shouldn't be listening to a bunch of anti maskers that feels upset over wearing a piece of fabric over their mouth and nose.

1. The half that aren't vaccinated at this point are almost all those in the younger cohorts who are at little to no risk from Covid anyway. The elderly/high risk are now almost all vaccinated

2. This is evidenced by the numbers in hospitals and ICU which have fallen to extremely low levels despite the loosening of restrictions

3. The "health advice" has been reactive, disproproportionate and overly influenced by a single individual (Holohan) and social media hysteria at times

4. Most people wear masks incorrectly, don't look after them, and treat them as the inconvenience they are - only putting up with it because of the legal/financial penalties. As more and more get vaccinated masks will disappear faster regardless of the "advice" - it's already starting to happen.

5. Nothing to do with anti-maskers, flat-earthers or any other poor attempts you or some others might try to dismiss feedback you don't like.

• Advertisement

1. The half that aren't vaccinated at this point are almost all those in the younger cohorts who are at little to no risk from Covid anyway. The elderly/high risk are now almost all vaccinated

2. This is evidenced by the numbers in hospitals and ICU which have fallen to extremely low levels despite the loosening of restrictions

3. The "health advice" has been reactive, disproproportionate and overly influenced by a single individual (Holohan) and social media hysteria at times

4. Most people wear masks incorrectly, don't look after them, and treat them as the inconvenience they are - only putting up with it because of the legal/financial penalties. As more and more get vaccinated masks will disappear faster regardless of the "advice" - it's already starting to happen.

5. Nothing to do with anti-maskers, flat-earthers or any other poor attempts you or some others might try to dismiss feedback you don't like.

Again get your facts straight.

The HSE identified two high risk groups. The very high risk group and high risk. They abandoned all plans to vaccinate the high risk group.

They are also changing the vaccination plan for those that have received one shot of the Astra Zeneca vaccine to reduce the time for second dose. Because they recognise the threat the Indian variant has. And yet the high risk group are still waiting on their vaccine.

So not only are the majority in the high risk group still waiting, there are alot of people who still are not fully vaccinated that have received one dose of the Astra Zeneca vaccine.

And you think all is well to give up on masks?

Also, take those with a high BMI. They are easily identifiable. Do you go around telling them they should go home and cocoon because you don't want to wear a mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Most people wear masks incorrectly, don't look after them, and treat them as the inconvenience they are - only putting up with it because of the legal/financial penalties. As more and more get vaccinated masks will disappear faster regardless of the "advice" - it's already starting to happen.

You've trotted this point out multiple times and I call bull. Do you have any evidence at all about this, or is it just your opinion?

Also, take those with a high BMI. They are easily identifiable. Do you go around telling them they should go home and cocoon because you don't want to wear a mask?

I think those who have medical issues will need to continue to look after themselves and be careful - as they always should have been doing - but for the rest of us (perfectly healthy people), it's time to get back to normal and move on.

But that's not to say that if you or any of the above people feel safer wearing masks that you shouldn't continue to do so. Personal responsibility and choice is a good thing.

I won't be wearing one though and from what I can see, nor will many others. Just look at some of the sporting coverage abroad. Hardly a mask in sight. Guess those people aren't too concerned either.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭moonage

As of today face coverings are no longer mandatory.

The legislation for them expired today, June 9th, and hasn't been extended.

It's time to chuck these silly bits of cloth in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

The covid-19 that you think you are invisible from. The covid-19 that you feel you will get over. The covid-19 that makes others sick with long recoveries. The covid-19 that actually does kill people.

It is great that you think you will get over covid ok. You know at this stage that masks are for protecting others. You know the other people that aren't so lucky as you.

You have have mis-interpreted my point.
    covid19 can be serious to some - i don't deny that.
    But in no way was covid19 the virus we saw in china on our tv screens that was hyped to the max. did you see anybody in ireland (or even europe) dropping dead in the street? that's the point.

I don't believe masks (as in shop bought leopard print ones) to be effective in anyway - that's why I'm posting. Nothing to do with whether covid is a serious illness or not.

They are at best a placebo in my view. The amount of them you find discarded at trolley bays in supermarket car parks shows many don't treat them too seriously at all.

paw patrol wrote: »
    But in no way was covid19 the virus we saw in china on our tv screens that was hyped to the max. did you see anybody in ireland (or even europe) dropping dead in the street? that's the point.

Who claimed people were dropping dead in the street?

They are at best a placebo in my view. The amount of them you find discarded at trolley bays in supermarket car parks shows many don't treat them too seriously at all.

You still have not explained how mandating mask wearing, in the majortity of indoor public places, puts the majority of jobs on hold.

By the way, you will find ignorant people discard rubbish all over the place. What is your point on that exactly? some people are ignorant flutes, what does that have to do with mask efficacy? They are a placebo because you have seen some discarded in car parks?

Who claimed people were dropping dead in the street?

media.
    irish/Uk media showed scenes (video clips and pics ) from china of this.

a 10 second google search would tell you - But I think you knew that already

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10860656/coronavirus-horror-dead-man-street/

You have have mis-interpreted my point.
    covid19 can be serious to some - i don't deny that.

I don't believe masks (as in shop bought leopard print ones) to be effective in anyway - that's why I'm posting. Nothing to do with whether covid is a serious illness or not.

I have not misinterpreted your point. You are dismissing the seriousness of it all because people aren't dropping dead in the streets. It was serious to impose restrictions.

We learned early on that masks reduce viral load. That is what they are for. If you believe they aren't effective go out and do some scientific study and report back.

media.
    irish/Uk media showed scenes (video clips and pics ) from china of this.

a 10 second google search would tell you - But I think you knew that already

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10860656/coronavirus-horror-dead-man-street/

Nope. Didn't know that. I had looked back a few pages to find where it started and only saw that phrase being used by you, so honestly didn't know if you were strawmanning or not.

But it looks like you were using a clickbait article about a person (singular) from the very early days of the pandemic, to make your point about bad "covid PR". But blatantly ignoring how it got so bad that an impromptu mega hospital having to be built in Wuhan, amongst a rake of other examples that were slowly popping up from over the world before it arrived in Ireland.

Nope. Didn't know that. I had looked back a few pages to find where it started and only saw that phrase being used by you, so honestly didn't know if you were strawmanning or not.

But it looks like you were using a clickbait article about a person (singular) from the very early days of the pandemic, to make your point about bad "covid PR". But blatantly ignoring how it got so bad that an impromptu mega hospital having to be built in Wuhan, amongst a rake of other examples that were slowly popping up from over the world before it arrived in Ireland.

the guardian ran the very same picture. maybe they are clickbait too.
    I never said such article and pics were genuine - in fact my whole argument is that they weren't - although I'm not sure who the incorrect or disingenuous party is. The media aren't great but neither are the CCP.

all that happened in china but didn't happen here or anywhere with an open independent (ish) media . I remember the hospital was built is record time but why then was our extra capacity like citiwest not used nor were the so called nightingale hospitals in the UK.

I don't have the answers I'm just an observer who noticed something amiss with china and what happened in europe,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

But it looks like you were using a clickbait article about a person (singular) from the very early days of the pandemic, to make your point about bad "covid PR".

TBH, in the early days of the pandemic lots of videos of people in China dying in the street, face planting or dropping dead, were available on line.
    They could be fake videos, of course, but there were tons of them in January and February last year.

I have not misinterpreted your point. You are dismissing the seriousness of it all because people aren't dropping dead in the streets. It was serious to impose restrictions.

We learned early on that masks reduce viral load. That is what they are for. If you believe they aren't effective go out and do some scientific study and report back.

with respect you have , i didn't say that - I said it wasn't as serious as was reported on from china initially. that doesn't mean it wasn't serious.
    there are degrees of seriousness.

however tbf - I have posted regularly on the other thread - restrictions - where I stated covid wasn't serious. I do hold that belief but didn't say that on this thread cos we are talking about masks.

the masks don't work - says me - they don't stop covid.
    the seriousness of the covid virus is irrelevant to that argument.

you want to debate covid as a serious illness, sure thing, but not on this thread.

• Advertisement

Sconsey wrote: »
    You still have not explained how mandating mask wearing, in the majortity of indoor public places, puts the majority of jobs on hold.

Maybe because that's now what I said...

We cannot continue to expect that same majority to put their jobs, lives and wellbeing on hold because a thankfully very small percentage of people MIGHT get sick or worse.

It was a broader statement regarding the Covid restrictions as a whole
    By the way, you will find ignorant people discard rubbish all over the place. What is your point on that exactly? some people are ignorant flutes, what does that have to do with mask efficacy? They are a placebo because you have seen some discarded in car parks?

Indeed you do see rubbish discarded everywhere (filthy habit) - but surely if people were as concerned about Covid as you and some others here seem to think, they would be treating their masks (their first line of defence) with more care and appreciation, not balling them up in their pockets or dumping them on the ground etc

with respect you have , i didn't say that - I said it wasn't as serious as was reported on from china initially. that doesn't mean it wasn't serious.
    there are degrees of seriousness.

however tbf - I have posted regularly on the other thread - restrictions - where I stated covid wasn't serious. I do hold that belief but didn't say that on this thread cos we are talking about masks.

the masks don't work - says me - they don't stop covid.
    the seriousness of the covid virus is irrelevant to that argument.

you want to debate covid as a serious illness, sure thing, but not on this thread.
    you started the attitude , read your post again

what did I have them for? the covid we were told told was killing the Chinese and on it's way to ireland.
    The covid that was so lethal it caused people to drop dead in the street and subsequently needed men in space suits to drag these bodies off and then industrially clean the streets while the local residents were being welded into their homes "for their own safety".

That covid19.

It was pretty clear when it came to Europe something was amiss with Covid19's PR.

It was yourself who was talking about the seriousness or the lack of seriousness of covid in this thread.

It was yourself who was talking about the seriousness or the lack of seriousness of covid in this thread.

yup , those posts show i was comparing the covid we saw in china (on our media) versus the one the landed here in Europe.

this was a follow on from a poster questioning why I had N95 masks at home - weird questions too.
    I appreciate you may have joined that to and fro later. that's fine.
    but I wasn't talking about covid being serious or not . I'm here for the masks.

If you want my view on how serious covid is? its in the restrictions thread starting around summer 2020.

haven't been posting that here.

Maybe because that's now what I said...

It was a broader statement regarding the Covid restrictions as a whole

Oh right, so nothing to do wiith masks, just an off-topic statement.
    Indeed you do see rubbish discarded everywhere (filthy habit) - but surely if people were as concerned about Covid as you and some others here seem to think, they would be treating their masks (their first line of defence) with more care and appreciation, not balling them up in their pockets or dumping them on the ground etc

That still does not make any sense to me, so are you saying that masks are a placebo because some unknown percentage of people throw away used masks? Or was it another off-topic statement, nothing really to do with mask efficacy but just another opportunity to to complain about them right?

yup , those posts show i was comparing the covid we saw in china (on our media) versus the one the landed here in Europe.

this was a follow on from a poster questioning why I had N95 masks at home - weird questions too.
    I appreciate you may have joined that to and fro later. that's fine.
    but I wasn't talking about covid being serious or not . I'm here for the masks.

If you want my view on how serious covid is? its in the restrictions thread starting around summer 2020.

haven't been posting that here.

That is great how you think it is not serious but it is for some. So wear your N95s if it makes you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

nope engineer.
    why would I tell you want he specifically worked at? What's it to you? engineer is sufficient

stolen? he is self employed so maybe he stole from revenue as they would be labelled a business expense.
    but you question me like i'd care if he stole them from work? I wouldn't.
    would it bother you if they were stolen?

It would bother me if stash of n95's were stolen in Feb2020 and never used because the thieves on second thought, deemed the virus not to be threatening enough to themselves.

Why didn't you give them away, use them or at least sell them? Hoarding N95's in a pandemic, for what? incase of a serious strain?

That is great how you think it is not serious but it is for some. So wear your N95s if it makes you happy.

i won't..
    Seanergy wrote: »
    It would bother me if stash of n95's were stolen in Feb2020 and never used because the thieves on second thought, deemed the virus not to be threatening enough to themselves.

Why didn't you give them away, use them or at least sell them? Hoarding N95's in a pandemic, for what? incase of a serious strain?

what has a n95 mask to do with a pandemic?
    a pandemic is just an illness spread over a wide area.
    do you mean a specific pandemic? like covid that is repository in nature?
    remember Feb2020 we were being sold the "this is a plague story", i gotta say I thought it would be at least half a plague. It turned out it wasn't.

why sell them or give them away? there may be more pandemics or s chemical attack or something...I may need them for something else just not covid19.

I find it odd you'd be upset I'd have a stash of masks.
    Many people have stuff I don't have but i'm not bothered.

if it comes down to a real disaster , it'll be everybody for themselves , you gotta make your own luck. Can be relying on others esp state services.
    In this case , a minor example being having a stash of N95 masks.

i think we've flogged this too long.
    so i do genuinely wish you the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Looking at Brasil and India, where both the health system and economy have completely collapsed:

Not a real disaster, because it's not like a post apocalyptic Hollywood movie with Real American Heroes shooting at each other. Making tough choices. Fighting for survival with AR-15s. Looting. Tough rogue ex-military men taking charge. Militias. Survivalists in bunkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

what has a n95 mask to do with a pandemic?
    a pandemic is just an illness spread over a wide area.
    do you mean a specific pandemic? like covid that is repository in nature?

This is a COVID-19 thread, mask sub thread, maybe you are in the wrong place?

Better luck spelling respiratory the next time.

Have you been wearing your mask on your arse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

I felt actual fear when I saw (there were no barriers) a line of people to go into Penneys.

It looked like the jaws of Auschwitz and people unknowingly, and masked, compliant in the cull regulations.

Mod: week off the forum and permanent threadban when you get back.

Advertisement