Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I hope I don’t blasted for this, but... do you think with the lack of sequins, rainbows, fancy dress, etc in the crowd this year, it made the contest look less camp? Loads of people seems to be tuning for the first time this year in years (as no one has anything else to be doing!), and they might have a different opinion now of the contest than if they watched it 2/3 years ago.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the campness of it all, but to some people it it seems it’s a bit of a cheesefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭archfi

I hope I don’t blasted for this, but... do you think with the lack of sequins, rainbows, fancy dress, etc in the crowd this year, it made the contest look less camp? Loads of people seems to be tuning for the first time this year in years (as no one has anything else to be doing!), and they might have a different opinion now of the contest than if they watched it 2/3 years ago.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the campness of it all, but to some people it it seem as a bit of a cheesefest.
    Yeah, much preferred the audience way back in seats and the 'green room' in front of the stage.
    Still got the atmosphere but annoying cheese level much reduced!:D

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭forumdedum

saabsaab wrote: »
    Could we ask Neil Hannon to write something?

I could never see such a genius sinking that low.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,861 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

forumdedum wrote: »
    I could never see such a genius sinking that low.

Getting someone to write something has been the problem, we should try and send a current working band or artist and send them with one of their potential hits

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Eurovision songs on the official Irish charts this week:

#14 Maneskin - Zitti E Buoni
    #37 Go_A - Shum
    #38 Dadi Freyr - 10 Years
    #40 Barbara Pravi - Voila
    #51 Maneskin - I WANNA BE YOUR SLAVE
    #52 Gjon's Tears - Tout l'Univers
    #60 Elena Tsagrinou - El Diablo
    #62 Blind Channel - Dark Side
    #65 Duncan Laurence - Arcade
    #75 The Roop - Discotheque
    #79 Destiny - Je Me Casse
    #99 Tusse - Voices

As I said a few pages back, this is great to see in the era of streaming. Very pleased that Maneskin's previous music is being noticed too, and that Arcade is still on people's minds also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,130 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Has it been a whole week already? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Has it been a whole week already? :(

Champions League final just didn’t bring the same excitement :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I'm still humming away to Tick-Tock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

RobertKK wrote: »

The sheer happiness in the semi finals from Italy and Germany when Ukraine and not Ireland got the 10th and final slot to the final :pac:

'And not Ireland'? There were 5 other countries, aswell as Ireland, with a chance of claiming that last 10th place for the final.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

'And not Ireland'? There were 5 other countries, aswell as Ireland, with a chance of claiming that last 10th place for the final.

Yeah, that kinda confused me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

LordBasil wrote: »
    However, the 'Live on Tape' performances of both Ireland & the UK will not be released as both artists want people to just remember their performance in Rotterdam.

Why would anyone want to remember either of those performances? Both utterly dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Just the home audience is here for Ireland.
    Ok people from the other countries too but not as many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

It makes no sense that the Germans and Italians were cheering that the Ukraine got in over Ireland.

Cheering that the Ukraine got in fair enough. But how can you surmise from it what/if any country they didn't want to get through?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ireland was not expected to qualify (and certainly not by the bookmakers) so it would be quite wrong to depict it as a Ukraine vs Ireland battle for the final envelope.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

BobMc wrote: »
    overall think it was an excellent show this year, some quality songs, and while the winner is not 100% up my street its really grown on me, all the top 4 or 5 a very high standard this year, was rooting for france and switzerland in our house

100% agree. I had France and Switzerland but can understand how Italy won once my niece showed me the supprt that they had.

Up into 1999 countriws had to sing in their official languages. Since then neither ireland or UK have won. I think that we always had an advantage without realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Ponster wrote: »

Up into 1999 countriws had to sing in their official languages. Since then neither ireland or UK have won. I think that we always had an advantage without realising it.

I think we always knew a little to be fair but all of winners were excellent songs performed well. English wasn’t as omni present as a language for much of the time too

3 of the last 5 winners have been Ukrainian, Portuguese or Italian so the language isn’t always the deciding factor

Getting someone to write something has been the problem, we should try and send a current working band or artist and send them with one of their potential hits

Yes, but need someone with a voice too. I know UK have been poor on votes since they invaded Iraq but that last guy could not sing.

forumdedum wrote: »
    Yes, but need someone with a voice too. I know UK have been poor on votes since they invaded Iraq but that last guy could not sing.

UK results since 2003 probably have more to do with the fact that they, almost exclusively, send total shíte.

UK results since 2003 probably have more to do with the fact that they, almost exclusively, send total shíte.

Possibly, hadn't watched it in almost 30 years until recently. Only because someone else had it on the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the british sent these guys and they wonder why they do poorly

2015Eurovision_Scooch_Getty74099678_master190515-920x610.jpg

432788.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

I'm still in bits over Fyr Og Flamme (Denmark) not getting to the final. I highly recommend their latest single "Kæreste".

• Registered Users Posts: 31,703 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Oymyakon wrote: »
    I'm still in bits over Fyr Og Flamme (Denmark) not getting to the final. I highly recommend their latest single "Kæreste".
    Not a patch on the below imo from the Danish finals it could have done well

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

gmisk wrote: »
    Not a patch on the below imo from the Danish finals it could have done well

Ah cheers for sharing that - sounds great. I've no connection to Denmark whatsoever but I think it's one of the coolest sounding languages in music.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,703 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Ah cheers for sharing that - sounds great. I've no connection to Denmark whatsoever but I think it's one of the coolest sounding languages in music.
    No worries, It's really catchy. I could have seen it doing well, but it didn't even make the top 2 in Denmark.
    The standard in the scandi countries is generally strong.

Lovely to see songs native languages as well.
    Fyr Og Flamme are very popular in Denmark seemingly so no shock they won national final.

The scandi countries has quite a few 80s style songs in their finals...the below is in Norway... seriously cheesy flashdance vibe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

This year’s song contest success is nothing new. Indeed, Ukraine has made a habit of excelling at Eurovision, and has frequently done so while demonstrating a flair and originality that is entirely at odds with the country’s somewhat dour and dreary international image.

Why Eurovision is Ukraine’s soft power secret weapon - Atlantic Council

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Occono wrote: »

Fortunately for Ireland they didn't partake in the 1990s :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I regret not being here for it, but at least I watched it live. I had friends watch the televote and were gripped despite knowing first and last place already. I could tell they regret not watching haha

• Registered Users Posts: 19,862 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I get that there's little to talk about at this stage, but I just can't believe that there are headlines to the effect of "musician might be using drugs, new development shocker".

I mean, if drugs make it into the arts, then what next?

In all seriousness, the idea of a musician doing drugs (and it's not even certain he was using drugs) being a potential headline really shows something about society. I suppose it's a good thing to discourage drug use, but it certainly shows a change.

I'm gone a bit off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I get that there's little to talk about at this stage, but I just can't believe that there are headlines to the effect of "musician might be using drugs, new development shocker".

I mean, if drugs make it into the arts, then what next?

In all seriousness, the idea of a musician doing drugs (and it's not even certain he was using drugs) being a potential headline really shows something about society. I suppose it's a good thing to discourage drug use, but it certainly shows a change.

I'm gone a bit off topic.

was it not more the case that it looked like he was doing it live on TV in front of a good proportion of Europe? Musician doing drugs is not a story. Musician doing drugs on live tv in front of hundreds of million is.

Advertisement