Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

1177178179180181183»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,862 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

was it not more the case that it looked like he was doing it live on TV in front of a good proportion of Europe? Musician doing drugs is not a story. Musician doing drugs on live tv in front of hundreds of million is.

Yeah if you slow the video down and replay it in isolation 10 times it looks like looked like he could have been doing it live on TV in front of a good proportion of Europe.

I was watching that interview with the Malta wan and didn't cop yer man with his head on the table. So making a big deal out of it actually exposed it to loads more people than would originally have seen it (if he actually were doing drugs which hasn't been established).

So actually what we have is a manufactured drugs scandal which raised the whole topic of drug use to millions of the European public, under the cover of being outraged/cross/shocked that someone might have done drugs at The Eurovision in front of millions of the European public.

I just can't bring myself to be upset about a musician maybe doing drugs. I think it's a pity that such a great Eurovision ended in controversy because a manufactured drugs controversy would get a few extra clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭archfi

Well, the controversy which was definitely manufactured IMO was no longer a controversy by the Monday as the guy took a drugs test - completely clear.
    Social media again...

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yeah if you slow the video down and replay it in isolation 10 times it looks like looked like he could have been doing it live on TV in front of a good proportion of Europe.

I was watching that interview with the Malta wan and didn't cop yer man with his head on the table. So making a big deal out of it actually exposed it to loads more people than would originally have seen it (if he actually were doing drugs which hasn't been established).

So actually what we have is a manufactured drugs scandal which raised the whole topic of drug use to millions of the European public, under the cover of being outraged/cross/shocked that someone might have done drugs at The Eurovision in front of millions of the European public.

I just can't bring myself to be upset about a musician maybe doing drugs. I think it's a pity that such a great Eurovision ended in controversy because a manufactured drugs controversy would get a few extra clicks.

you didn't have to slow it down to see it. I spotted it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,130 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Already, England have got three more points in the Euros than they did at Eurovision.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,219 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Already, England have got three more points in the Euros than they did at Eurovision.
    :cool:

They could probably rustle up a better singer from that squad too!

I mean if Hoddle, Barnes, Waddle and Gazza can grace TOTP...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭archfi

Top 10 in the UK for Maneskin - first Eurovision winner since 2012
    Number 7
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57530407

EDIT: oops, I misread the article - first EV winning group/singer to break UK Top 10 since 2012, not the EV winning song (#17)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Probably the first time ever for a non english language song?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

The song that has gone to #7 is 'I Wanna Be Your Slave', an English song of theirs. It has overtaken Zitti e Buoni on the Irish and UK charts, largely due to going viral on TikTok.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No, there's been a tiny handful in French and German, (Joe Le Taxi by Vanessa Paradis for example) but one in Italian is extremely rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Strazdas wrote: »
    No, there's been a tiny handful in French and German, (Joe Le Taxi by Vanessa Paradis for example) but one in Italian is extremely rare.

The song in the Top 10 now is in English - their Italian winning song peaked at #17.

• Advertisement

Rather fitting considering all this footy malarkey about at the moment, ‘Nessun Dorma’ by Pavarotti was a chart hit circa Italia ‘90 (not that the Irish care about Italia ‘90 anyway :pac: )

My personal favourite Italian singer is Sabrina - I think she’s singing in Italian, I tend to get distracted… :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,219 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Strazdas wrote: »

Wasnt there an italian one from 70s... cheesy cover of the cornetto song or did I imagine that...

Bocelli and Brightman got to top 10 in 1997 with Time to Say Goodbye which is mostly Italian.
    (Rte gold just played it)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Wasnt there an italian one from 70s... cheesy cover of the cornetto song or did I imagine that...

Bocelli and Brightman got to top 10 in 1997 with Time to Say Goodbye which is mostly Italian.
    (Rte gold just played it)

Je T'aime by serge gainsbourgh got to number 1 in 1969

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭patscott27

Falco's Rock me Amadeus was no. 1 I can remember

For any fans of the French entry: Barbara Pravi will be performing a concert at the Sugar Club in Dublin in March 2022.

https://www.sugarclubtickets.com/purchase/barbara-pravi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭saabsaab

For any fans of the French entry: Barbara Pravi will be performing a concert at the Sugar Club in Dublin in March 2022.

https://www.sugarclubtickets.com/purchase/barbara-pravi

Have to say I rather enjoyed the French entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

saabsaab wrote: »
    Have to say I rather enjoyed the French entry.

I voted for her on the night. Best French entry since Amina way back in 1991 with 'C'est Le Dernier'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not related to this year's contest or anything but I read on the BBC that Prince Charles did a radio show where he talked about his 13 favorite songs.

And The Voice by Eimer Quinn is one of them.

What an odd, obscure choice I thought.

Sure it's a good song, but it's not that prolific.

Making a shortlist of a 70 something years old British person I thought was a bit of an outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Jaysus, Ian Bailey must be following this thread... him teaming up with Sinead O'Connor is a cracking idea. Sinead's music to his poetry is a sure fire winner. What could possibly go wrong... https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/entertainment/sinead-oconnor-ian-bailey

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It's been seven hours and 25 years

They're throwing it all this way

Dragging it back to 1996

It obviously eludes to when we were winning the Eurovision and nothing else.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Interesting choice, assumed it would be Milan. I always find it interesting when they don't host in the capital city.

So.... when do we start the new thread? 😅 It's been started as early as December in previous years, but if it's OK with the mods then I don't see why we shouldn't get one going asap. There's always little tidbits of news being released before national final season begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Turin is a predictable choice. It has been mooted for a long time that RAI were keen to host ESC there. Looking forward to seeing an Italian Eurovision.

Regarding this thread, maybe we could keep this open until Junior ESC 2021 takes place. Some people may want to discuss JESC 2021 in Eurovision 2021 thread. Once that's over maybe we could then open ESC 2022 thread.

Final of Irish Junior Eurovision is this weekend on TG4 AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Advertisement