Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭BobMc

overall think it was an excellent show this year, some quality songs, and while the winner is not 100% up my street its really grown on me, all the top 4 or 5 a very high standard this year, was rooting for france and switzerland in our house

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Can't stop listening to the afrojack interval medley.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Everyday since Eurovision I seem to have a different song from the contest stuck in my head. Currently it's Russian Woman by Mizhna. Yesterday it was the Danish 80s style entry. The day before yesterday it was Voilà. Makes a change from the usual durge on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,862 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Everyday since Eurovision I seem to have a different song from the contest stuck in my head. Currently it's Russian Woman by Mizhna. Yesterday it was the Danish 80s style entry. The day before yesterday it was Voilà. Makes a change from the usual durge on the radio.

I'm the exact same! Yesterday it was the Italian one, today it's the Icelandic one!

I haven't properly watched a Eurovision for years and it was great fun. Looking forward to next year's one already! Planning to organise a party for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Sibéal would be an Eimear Quinn modern day version. She's a great singer and looks well, and with a good song could deliver. Think how she performed Mise Eire in Centenary in 2016.

Deffo not Damien Dempsey, even in English he'd sound like a different language! In my opinion he's a very poor man's Luke Kelly or Liam Clancy. DC Fontaine etc all interesting.

Fangclub would be a decent shout for Ireland. Rocky, grungy, but not really a copy of anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,130 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Mapping out a path to 2022: Ireland’s Head of Delegation feels it’s time for the public to have a say :eek:

But funding remains a big issue :rolleyes:

https://wiwibloggs.com/2021/05/27/will-ireland-have-a-national-final-for-eurovision-2022/265544/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Mapping out a path to 2022: Ireland’s Head of Delegation feels it’s time for the public to have a say :eek:

https://wiwibloggs.com/2021/05/27/will-ireland-have-a-national-final-for-eurovision-2022/265544/

This sounds like good news though. It seems they may well be planning on ditching the internal selections and returning to a national song contest.

He keeps talking about funding. Could they not get sponsorship for the national final or something? You would have thought Eurovision would be an attractive brand for any potential sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

AFIAK the public have only had a say since You're A Star, previously Eurosong was voted on by Juries.

Mention his comments in another thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057868730&page=485

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

A lot of talk about money being to blame on lack of competitiveness in Eurovision.
    But up to recently the budget was over 300k to send an act off to sing for a week.

I am not sure more money will impact the quality of singer we send, she was poor and got last in the semi final never mind being a qualifier.

The lights shows most acts use are non expensive, or sit someone who can actually sing down and let them do just that.

Needs a real overhaul, I'd say take it off tv altogether and let 2fm run a competition to select act and song.

Can't be any worse and would be much cheaper.

Needs a real overhaul, I'd say take it off tv altogether and let 2fm run a competition to select act and song.

Can't be any worse and would be much cheaper.

Imagine RTÉ want the Bord Gais Energy Theatre, you'd think they didn't have their own facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

What a load of deflection and utter rubbish...if RTÉ are a "small, chronically underfunded broadcaster", surely they can't afford to pay salaries of €500,000 to D'Arcy and Tubridy, along with €400,000 to Joe Duffy for 75 minutes of work a day?

Kealy is constantly using funding as an excuse for his own personal failures and Ireland's (at best) mediocrity at the contest since his time in charge began. I must ask - how well funded are the Moldovan broadcaster??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

What a load of deflection and utter rubbish...if RTÉ are a "small, chronically underfunded broadcaster", surely they can't afford to pay salaries of €500,000 to D'Arcy and Tubridy, along with €400,000 to Joe Duffy for 75 minutes of work a day?

Kealy is constantly using funding as an excuse for his own personal failures and Ireland's (at best) mediocrity at the contest since his time in charge began. I must ask - how well funded are the Moldovan broadcaster??

We would quickly find that we have one of the larger eurovision budgets around I'd say.

Silly stuff for RTE to be uttering, seems they are trying to deflect now that we know we were actually the worst act officially in the contest (well our semi).

...we were actually the worst act officially in the contest (well our semi).

Terrible to say I think we might have been the worst ! Even Denmark and Germany were at least having fun.

Does the 300,000 include the price paid to the EBU? or is that just on staging and music rights? because if it is the later RTÉ are spending 400,000 to 500,000 on Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Elmo wrote: »
    Terrible to say I think we might have been the worst ! Even Denmark and Germany were at least having fun.

Does the 300,000 include the price paid to the EBU? or is that just on staging and music rights? because if it is the later RTÉ are spending 400,000 to 500,000 on Eurovision.

No, that would be the entire Eurovision budget including the fee to the EBU.

I think the fee to enter is €80k or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Elmo wrote: »
    AFIAK the public have only had a say since You're A Star, previously Eurosong was voted on by Juries.

Mention his comments in another thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057868730&page=485

Re brand it as Eurostar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

For those who say we should send our best or most recognisable acts, eg Westlife, Enya, etc

Jonny Logan won Eurovision twice, three times if you count 1992. It didn't exactly launch his career. Its probably the same for most eurovision winners with the odd exception, ABBA, Celine Dion, etc.

Winning Eurovision is about the equivalent of winning The Voice. Its a nice to have, but you're not going to be that successful after it. Its a niche market and you also risk turning off traditional fans.

Its just not worth the effort for major acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,217 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For those who say we should send our best or most recognisable acts, eg Westlife, Enya, etc
    Jonny Logan won Eurovision twice, three times if you count 1994. It didn't exactly launch his career. Its probably the same for most eurovision winners with the odd exception, ABBA, Celine Dion, etc.
    Winning Eurovision is about the equivalent of winning The Voice. Its a nice to have, but you're not going to be that successful after it. Its a niche market and you also risk turning off traditional fans.

It's a platform to build on, if you are a confident upcoming band who wants a bigger profile in Europe... somebody who wants to be 'major'.
    Or someone trying to stage a bit of a comeback.

But if you're already 'premier division', it's not needed and as you say not worth the risk.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Wasn't sure about Ukraine, but listened to it a few times during the week and think it's a total banger!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The sheer happiness in the semi finals from Italy and Germany when Ukraine and not Ireland got the 10th and final slot to the final :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

The 'Live on Tape' performances recorded by each artist in case they couldn't travel to Rotterdam will be released on the Eurovision Youtube Channel. First up later today is the Non-Qualifiers and tomorrow is the finalists.

https://eurovision.tv/story/eurovision-song-celebration-2021

However, the 'Live on Tape' performances of both Ireland & the UK will not be released as both artists want people to just remember their performance in Rotterdam. I was looking forward to seeing 'Maps' performed live without all that distracting staging. Maybe the performance was really cheap looking/bad....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

LordBasil wrote: »
    The 'Live on Tape' performances recorded by each artist in case they couldn't travel to Rotterdam will be released on the Eurovision Youtube Channel. First up later today is the Non-Qualifiers and tomorrow is the finalists.

However, the 'Live on Tape' performances of both Ireland & the UK will not be released as both artists want people to just remember their performance in Rotterdam. I was looking forward to seeing 'Maps' performed live without all that distracting staging. Maybe the performance was really cheap looking/bad....

My first thought was perhaps it was even worse than the live one. Guess we'll never know now :o

Great to see Maneskin's "I WANNA BE YOUR SLAVE" climbing the Spotify charts, currently #27 in Ireland and #33 in the UK. This must be one of the first times in recent years that a winner's previous back catalogue has started to make headway in the charts? Great to see, and particularly in this streaming era. The general narrative about Eurovision seems very different this year, feels a lot more respectful in tone, less talk about quirky costumes and bloc voting. Good news for the contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Jonny Logan won Eurovision twice, three times if you count 1992. It didn't exactly launch his career. Its probably the same for most eurovision winners with the odd exception, ABBA, Celine Dion, etc.

don't forget bucks fizz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

RobertKK wrote: »

The sheer happiness in the semi finals from Italy and Germany when Ukraine and not Ireland got the 10th and final slot to the final :pac:

It's usually the Irish making all the noise.

I'm glad Ukraine went through because of the quality of their song, but considering Eurovision is as much about European community spirit, a little ungenerous of other contests to show such bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

It's usually the Irish making all the noise.

I'm glad Ukraine went through because of the quality of their song, but considering Eurovision is as much about European community spirit, a little ungenerous of other contests to show such bias.

Sure I was like that when Ukraine was announced, and I’m Irish! The lead singer of Maneskin even said the Ukraine’s was his favourite song in the contes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

My first thought was perhaps it was even worse than the live one. Guess we'll never know now :o

Great to see Maneskin's "I WANNA BE YOUR SLAVE" climbing the Spotify charts, currently #27 in Ireland and #33 in the UK. This must be one of the first times in recent years that a winner's previous back catalogue has started to make headway in the charts? Great to see, and particularly in this streaming era. The general narrative about Eurovision seems very different this year, feels a lot more respectful in tone, less talk about quirky costumes and bloc voting. Good news for the contest.

Hopefully also with Arcade and Think about Things getting commercial and mainstream success, it might make other acts take the contest more seriously and lose the cheesy/camp reputation it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Hopefully also with Arcade and Think about Things getting commercial and mainstream success, it might make other acts take the contest more seriously and lose the cheesy/camp reputation it was.

Agreed. The aim of an act is to get their music out there and to do well in the competition.

I think we need to send some act capable of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

It is not though. The Eurovision has changed. It is a really big deal. Check out the views of the winners song and now their whole back catalogue. I think England and Ireland largely think it is the same as 20 years ago and remain bewildered bad result after bad result.

I'd allow noone involved from RTE or otherwise be involved in picking or staging the next entry. New team needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Could we ask Neil Hannon to write something?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭doc22

LordBasil wrote: »

In fairness to the UK and Ireland they both finish last and this could be more of a protest/wish to move on having filled their obligations and don't want to entertain the ESC vanity project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

saabsaab wrote: »
    Could we ask Neil Hannon to write something?

an equine song maybe?

Advertisement