Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

doc22 wrote: »

Don't think that works.....

Ah well, Dervish is too much diddly aye.

Kasey Smith one was kind of along the lines but not sure about the kilts, very scottish. And she was dressed like a Pharaoh. I think something like the Corrs "runaway" with the violin having a prominent role.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Something like this updated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELLh0BnY0fc

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭doc22

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Ah well, Dervish is too much diddly aye.

Kasey Smith one was kind of along the lines but not sure about the kilts, very scottish. And she was dressed like a Pharaoh. I think something like the Corrs "runaway" with the violin having a prominent role.

So one of Ireland's most popular acts most popular songs 20 years ago....

What makes you think that genre would be popular in Europe now when it's not even popular here and very bland much like maps this year, I don't think a violin would save it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Spice Girls live ?

AFAIK Their records were assembled from the best bits of multiple takes down to the point of assembling word by word in some cases.

Perfect for the eurovision then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,855 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We need an Irish rammstein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

saabsaab wrote: »
    We should send a song in our own language.

We already do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

We need to send something modern and current. People like Allie Sherlock have massive youtube followings and write their own songs. Send one of them. Already known, have a European fanbase. Maneskin are massively famous on the continent and look what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Would love to see Chasing Abbey or Wild Youth sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

We need to send something modern and current. People like Allie Sherlock have massive youtube followings and write their own songs. Send one of them. Already known, have a European fanbase. Maneskin are massively famous on the continent and look what happened.

That’s actually a fairly good shout. With the greatest of respect to Allie Sherlock, she’s a busker who doesn’t have credibility to lose. As a sixteen (or whatever) year old, a Eurovision appearance is a perfectly credible early career move for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, Allie would be a very interesting choice. She has a quite massive following on social media and might well be up for it. She's a bit rough around the edges vocally but with the right song and perhaps a bit of vocal coaching, she could make an impact.

If not her, perhaps Sibéal with a song in Irish or even someone like Denise Chaila.

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, Allie would be a very interesting choice. She has a quite massive following on social media and might well be up for it. She's a bit rough around the edges vocally but with the right song and perhaps a bit of vocal coaching, she could make an impact.

If not her, perhaps Sibéal with a song in Irish or even someone like Denise Chaila.

Can under 18s compete in Eurovision?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭raclle

Maneskin are massively famous on the continent and look what happened.
    Never even heard of them until now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Can under 18s compete in Eurovision?

They can indeed. Open to anyone over the age of 16 on the day the contest takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Could not be aresed reading through 135 pages so don't know what the consensus is. But Ukraine, Lithuania, Finland gave me some hope that the Eurovision will not be as sh*te as it has been for the last 20 years.

Maybe we could see a return of something more accessible for everyone next year? If so, I'm looking forward to it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Sibéal would be an Eimear Quinn modern day version. She's a great singer and looks well, and with a good song could deliver. Think how she performed Mise Eire in Centenary in 2016.

Deffo not Damien Dempsey, even in English he'd sound like a different language! In my opinion he's a very poor man's Luke Kelly or Liam Clancy. DC Fontaine etc all interesting.

They can indeed. Open to anyone over the age of 16 on the day the contest takes place.

Cool. I reckon Allie would be a good shout. She has such a unique voice, can play a guitar and already has a following.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Happy to say that I had ITALY to win. I've had the winner for years now...it isn't that difficult to pick the best song. Not everyone's preference, but I felt they were the best by a mile this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭doc22

Happy to say that I had ITALY to win. I've had the winner for years now...it isn't that difficult to pick the best song. Not everyone's preference, but I felt they were the best by a mile this year.
    Iceland was fairly boring for me, nowhere near as good as Switzerland. My money is on the Swiss this year. Will be interesting to see how they all compare with the staging etc but the Swiss guy can really sing, would be a worthy winner.

OK sure you can.....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

OK sure you can.....

top detective work.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

OK sure you can.....

That was before I heard Italy, thank you very much. Italy were way better in the end and I feel they deserved to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Finally caught up on the thread. There's some very... strange suggestions being made on here. Sinéad O'Connor for Eurovision for Christ's sake :rolleyes: Doesn't matter who we send, could be the biggest name in the country or a complete unknown. Once the song is good that's all that matters.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Doesn't matter who we send, could be the biggest name in the country or a complete unknown.

Genuinely surprised that no one (in RTÉ) has suggested sending Nathan Carter, singing some kind of huckle buck country number.......

He is both one of the biggest names in the country, while also being a complete unknown....

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Genuinely surprised that no one (in RTÉ) has suggested sending Nathan Carter, singing some kind of huckle buck country number.......

He is both one of the biggest names in the country, while also being a complete unknown....

Doubt he'd want to do it. As people have already mentioned on the thread we've inherited the British snobbery towards the competition, and most who've partaken subsequently pretend it never happened. Although that probably has a lot to do with how poorly they perform also.

I'd love to know if behind the scenes RTÉ are actually trying to make an effort and asking some of our bigger names, or if it's just a case of sending anyone to fill the slot. Because if this is genuinely the best RTÉ can do, well that's a scary thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Yeah it's unfortunate so many of our best singers won't go near Eurovision. Maybe seeing acts like Maneskin, Go_A, Barbara Pravi, Blind Channel & Gjon's Tears do so well this year may inspire some of them to think about putting themselves forward. We live in hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

LordBasil wrote: »
    Yeah it's unfortunate so many of our best singers won't go near Eurovision. Maybe seeing acts like Maneskin, Go_A, Barbara Pravi, Blind Channel & Gjon's Tears do so well this year may inspire some of them to think about putting themselves forward. We live in hope!

Then again you have Flo Rida getting 13 points, and a well established band like Hooverphonics getting 3 from the public...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Then again you have Flo Rida getting 13 points, and a well established band like Hooverphonics getting 3 from the public...

There is a risk of failure in any competition and Eurovision is no different, regardless of how famous or successful someone has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I woke up Sunday morning with the baseline of the Italian song in my head and it won’t leave. I’d love to see someone like them live right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Finally caught up on the thread. There's some very... strange suggestions being made on here. Sinéad O'Connor for Eurovision for Christ's sake Doesn't matter who we send, could be the biggest name in the country or a complete unknown. Once the song is good that's all that matters.

Sinead O'C would need to smarten herself up a lot. Anytime i see photos of her she couldn't look dowdier.
    Not a fan of her. She's probably rip up a picture of someone who happened to be in the news at the time. But maybe she might grow up a bit in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Finally caught up on the thread. There's some very... strange suggestions being made on here. Sinéad O'Connor for Eurovision for Christ's sake Doesn't matter who we send, could be the biggest name in the country or a complete unknown. Once the song is good that's all that matters.

Sinead O'C would need to smarten herself up a lot. Anytime i see photos of her she couldn't look dowdier.
    Not a fan of her. She's probably rip up a picture of someone who happened to be in the news at the time. But maybe she might grow up a bit in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I woke up Sunday morning with the baseline of the Italian song in my head and it won’t leave. I’d love to see someone like them live right now!

Ha I woke up Monday to someone on the BBC talking about the UK entry (and playing it) only to have the chorus in my head for 2 days.

Ukraine where robbed :pac:

Advertisement