Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,130 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Fish and chips for tea.

E2BbKosX0AY1KfR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

did the drugs test come back yet?? was he sniffin snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,860 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Re the whole cocaine thing.

He wouldn't be the first who liked the coke at Eurovision.
    To make a long story short, in a local pub a few years ago I knew one bloke who claimed he was a back up singer for the Irish Eurovision entrant one year. Tall tales I thought. But after mentioning it yet again a few were like "you didn't your bollocks" so he opens up YouTube and lo and behold he was.

He then proceeds to tell us all that the night before the Eurovision he, along with the other backup singers and the Eurovision entrant himself were going around bar to bar trying to score coke in the city.

Hardly shocking tho isn't it.

So they looked for coke , cool story bro , come back wren they find it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

fryup wrote: »
    did the drugs test come back yet?? was he sniffin snow?

I don't think this is the Olympics.

They should all be tested for autotuning and lipsyncing.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I fear she would try and make it all about her, irrespective of whether she staged a protest or not. It would be a potential car crash in the making anyway - no guarantee she would even do well in the voting. A lot of younger viewers across Europe have probably never even heard of her.

Well I guess we’ll never know

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    I fear she would try and make it all about her, irrespective of whether she staged a protest or not. It would be a potential car crash in the making anyway - no guarantee she would even do well in the voting. A lot of younger viewers across Europe have probably never even heard of her.
    Elmo wrote: »
    I don't think this is the Olympics.

They should all be tested for autotuning and lipsyncing.

You’d have to lip sync, people nowadays think live music sounds wrong :)

Britain seriously have to re-evaluate their financial contributions it’s getting ridiculous for them now

and also for Germany and for Spain they too got nul points

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭patscott27

Britain seriously have to re-evaluate their financial contributions it’s getting ridiculous for them now[/QUOTE

Especially with 350m a week extra in the coffers after Brexit. They should put some of the money saved from leaving Eurovision towards a Commonwealth song contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

patscott27 wrote: »
    Britain seriously have to re-evaluate their financial contributions it’s getting ridiculous for them now

Especially with 350m a week extra in the coffers after Brexit. They should put some of the money saved from leaving Eurovision towards a Commonwealth song contest.

They would probably come last in that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Maybe not at global (aka American level) but I think you underestimate the profile of European artists across other countries of similar language \ culture.

Russian artists would have an international profile among the large Russian speaking communities in other eastern European countries.
    Italian acts get exposure at San Remo across Europe.
    France-Belgium-Switzerland would have shared language connections.

This was also behind a lot of the neighbour-voting, I mean Cyprus and Greece would have a shared language and culture, as would much of the former Yugoslavia

The Italian singer tested negative.

https://eurovision.tv/mediacentre/release/ebu-statement-on-alleged-drug-use-at-eurovision-song-contest-2021

Hopefully that knocks it on the head now. Such a stupid thing to overshadow their win.

On a more positive note for Italy, their song is the first Eurovision song to break the Spotify Global Top 10, and has become the most streamed Italian language song ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So they looked for coke , cool story bro , come back wren they find it :)

Do you have some sort of hard-on against people saying negative things against cocaine?

You quoted me in the after hours thread too today. But arent you also the person who said (in After Hours):
    As a coke head myself I would say it turns everyone into dickheads

Could it be that your own personal choice of recreational use is making you some what biased? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭archfi

Flying Fox wrote: »
    The Italian singer tested negative.

https://eurovision.tv/mediacentre/release/ebu-statement-on-alleged-drug-use-at-eurovision-song-contest-2021

Hopefully that knocks it on the head now. Such a stupid thing to overshadow their win.
    Another successful social media outing for the righteous outragers!
    For it to make the frontpages of the likes of the BBC's News website is an indictment of how journalism is beholden/follows utter shíte like Twitter and Facebook.

Anyhow, congrats to the winners, looking forward to next year and Ireland's redemption ;)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Her song and video for "Take me to Church" would have been a great EuroVision entry...
    Dunno if her current religious adventure would allow her perform it now, what you don't need is a performer using the stage for a religious/political protest.
    Incredible voice, though.

Disagree. It’s not a bad record but def not a Eurovision type song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

archfi wrote: »
    Another successful social media outing for the righteous outragers!
    For it to make the frontpages of the likes of the BBC's News website is an indictment of how journalism is beholden/follows utter shíte like Twitter and Facebook.

Anyhow, congrats to the winners, looking forward to next year and Ireland's redemption ;)

Absolutely disgraceful that instead of being able to celebrate and enjoy their win, he had to deal with that rubbish. What a way to tarnish what should be the most memorable time in their career and possibly one of the happiest days of his life.

Will the posters who were adamant he was doing drugs come on here and admit they got it wrong? One poster in particular seemed to make it their mission to convince us he was doing coke.

Hopefully they can use the extra publicity from this and go on to have an amazing career.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,703 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Disagree. It’s not a bad record but def not a Eurovision type song.
    I am not sure there is a Eurovision type song any more.

well in fairness he does look like the type who would partake

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

RTE need to give Marty the sack. He's so unsuited to the event, it's not even funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭feelings

But he did partake... and won. ;)

Definitely.... Give it to someone like Zara King or Luke O'Neill.
    RTE need to give Marty the sack. He's so unsuited to the event, it's not even funny.

Well luckily, not only is he not the type to do coke on camera in front of hundreds of millions of people, he’s not the type to do drugs, full stop. Luckily he could produce a negative test to prove everyone wrong and redeem his character. But sure no matter, the permanently outraged will just move on to the next person they try and get cancelled.

It would be great if there was a concerted effort amongst radio stations, etc to play the song in a fight back against this trial by twitter.

Well luckily, not only is he not the type to do coke on camera in front of hundreds of millions of people, he’s not the type to do drugs, full stop. Luckily he could produce a negative test to prove everyone wrong and redeem his character. But sure no matter, the permanently outraged will just move on to the next person they try and get cancelled.

It would be great if there was a concerted effort amongst radio stations, etc to play the song in a fight back against this trial by twitter.

There was hardly any outrage.

No one cared. What Twitter comments were you looking at?

There was hardly any outrage.

No one cared. What Twitter comments were you looking at?

Are you for real? It was all over social media!

Do you have some sort of hard-on against people saying negative things against cocaine?

You quoted me in the after hours thread too today. But arent you also the person who said (in After Hours):

Could it be that your own personal choice of recreational use is making you some what biased? :pac:

That’s what I said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

People were mostly just amused at it on social media though. Just because it's trending doesn't mean people are outraged.

People were laughing at it. I don't think many people cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭patscott27

Nancy Reagan said Just say no Kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭gussieg

It all comes down to..
    we will never win again while the national song contest has been obliterated and hidden behind closed doors. it is just like Fire Saga- they dont want to have to host it or pay for it ever again.
    you know the way like when you have someone over for dinner and they smash all your glasses and make faces behind your back and ride your dog round the house snort coke off your grannys handbag before you catch them by the scruff of the neck and say ' your taxi's outside- gwanawayb4iburstyayamalignantlilbollix!'
    and wave them off saying...
    Never again etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Does anyone think something along the lines of An Dreolín would do well for us? And I wonder if there'd be anyone interested in doing something like it. We Banjo 3 maybe? Could be a road worth going down. The generic pop shtick isn't our thing really.

Advertisement