Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The German entry wasn't as bad imo as the Ukrainian.

Ukrainian where robbed IMO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Reading between the lines, you are better off being loved (even by smaller number) and hated (by lots) than moderately liked by all in terms of gaining points.

Exactly, the opposite of love isn't hate, it is indifference.

The reason the UK & Spain did so poorly was not that their songs were necessarily terrible, it was that they didn't leave a strong enough impression on viewers to vote for them. People are not going to vote for their 17th favourite song of the evening. You are better to take a risk and send a song that 85% of the viewers will loath but that the remaining 15% will love and vote for, guaranteeing you some points.

LordBasil wrote: »
    Exactly, the opposite of love isn't hate, it is indifference.

The reason the UK & Spain did so poorly was not that their songs were necessarily terrible, it was that they didn't leave a strong enough impression on viewers to vote for them. People are not going to vote for their 17th favourite song of the evening. You are better to take a risk and send a song that 85% of the viewers will loath but that the remaining 15% will love and vote for, guaranteeing you some points.

This is where the jury vote seem to disappear for both of them, I don't really understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I would send a band like Wild Youth or Fontaines DC tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The televotes went:

1. Italy
    2. Ukraine

Just saying...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Our song wasn't bad, it's just Lesley Roy sounded like when you try to sing when you have a terrible cold and sore throat. The auto tune was clearly carrying her. I never heard of her before eurovision.

I think if we sold our identity to the europeans we might do alright, have a modern song with some accordion or violin played into it. Have a hot ginger girl sing it and have a little solo where she does some Irish dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Elmo wrote: »
    This is where the jury vote seem to disappear for both of them, I don't really understand this.

I was referring to the televote more than the juries.

Juries have different criteria than televoters hence huge differences over the years between the two.

To get high televote you need to be impactful, unique, memorable, catchy song, good vocals etc.

Juries look for more slickness of staging, professionalism, vocal perfection, musicality, sophisticated lyrics etc.

Ireland for example this year was forgettable for televoters while juries were unimpressed by the sloppy staging, weak vocals, hence the dismal score.

Sometimes songs can meet both specifications and those songs usually end up winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,702 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would send a band like Wild Youth or Fontaines DC tbh.
    Wild youth would be a good call.

The issue they might have is the fact they aren't actually allowed to play instruments, surely that puts a lot of potential acts off?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

gmisk wrote: »
    Wild youth would be a good call.

The issue they might have is the fact they aren't actually allowed to play instruments, surely that puts a lot of potential acts off?

Didn't a guy play the drums the last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Didn't a guy play the drums the last night?

Pretty sure all the instrumentation is mimed, I got a laugh from the Portuguese guy putting the guitar down before the solo ended on BOTH their performances!!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭doc22

Our song wasn't bad, it's just Lesley Roy sounded like when you try to sing when you have a terrible cold and sore throat. The auto tune was clearly carrying her. I never heard of her before eurovision.

I think if we sold our identity to the europeans we might do alright, have a modern song with some accordion or violin played into it. Have a hot ginger girl sing it and have a little solo where she does some Irish dancing.

Don't think that works.....

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I would send the walls or the frank and Walters.

We need a pop tune with heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Eivor

doc22 wrote: »

Don't think that works.....

I think the problem with those 2 is that they are awful songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Eivor

I think someone like Roisin Murphy would be great for us but I don’t think she’d do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Get Bob Dylan hasn't he some Irish connections?

saabsaab wrote: »
    Get Bob Dylan hasn't he some Irish connections?

You don't need Irish Connections to Write or sing the song for Ireland or any country in the Eurovision.

AFAIK the singer for the UK wrote one of our songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,130 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Three days on, and I’m starting to like the German song more than I should.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Listen to the Irish song and then the French song afterwards. The gap in ability is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Listen to the Irish song and then the French song afterwards. The gap in ability is ridiculous.

This happened even in the semi. Ireland was followed straight after by Cyprus (Elena - 'El Diablo') and the gulf in class was so obvious - and that's a song that didn't even make top 10 in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

The song that won eurovision was pure scutter.

It also shows that having naked and sexy women in knee high boots doesn't win it either. Trying to find the perfect balance will be a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭patscott27

Its only a what if but let's say we did sneak into the final does anyone think we would have ended up on nul points like the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

I've listened to the Ukraine again to see could I 'get' it. I can't, it's horrendous, screeching, her look, the green feathers. An awful ethnic/gypsy eastern European vibe that sounds primitive, like human's first attempt at making music.

Italy at least sounds a little like the Arctic Monkeys- I bet that you look good on the dance floor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fryup wrote: »
    you know for a country that has given us the best pop/rock artists in the world their eurovision success has been very mediocre at best...how come they never sent Right said Fred, Rick Astley, Lisa Stansfield, Spice Girls etc etc...they have loads of singers & songwriters to choose from

Spice Girls live ?

AFAIK Their records were assembled from the best bits of multiple takes down to the point of assembling word by word in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭saabsaab

We should send a song in our own language.

patscott27 wrote: »
    Its only a what if but let's say we did sneak into the final does anyone think we would have ended up on nul points like the UK?

A lot of recent Irish songs are better off they went out in the semi, spare them the embarassment of the final.

Molly Sterling- Playing with Numbers in 2015 should have made it through.

We're 13 years post Dustin, so it's more a case of poor songs with the odd exception in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,318 ✭✭✭bladespin

Italy at least sounds a little like the Arctic Monkeys- I bet that you look good on the dance floor.

Thought Rage against the machine myself, some EV songs are just bad copies of others.

saabsaab wrote: »
    We should send a song in our own language.

Ceol an ghrá 1972. Came second or third.

https://youtu.be/DJzhQz4V2CU

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭doc22

The song that won eurovision was pure scutter.

It also shows that having naked and sexy women in knee high boots doesn't win it either. Trying to find the perfect balance will be a mystery.

Well, look at popularity on youtube and voting and imagine the Irish version of say 'El Diablo'....Being young pretty and visually appealing helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

One thing that’s a mystery to me is Malta’s placing in the final. Looking up semi final 1 results, it was at the top of the 10 that qualified there. Being placed 6th in the final almost certainly affected the public vote.

Advertisement