Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

jester77 wrote: »
    You can now add up to 10 IBANs to your spaces for incoming payments and direct debits, this will be handy, i've been waiting for something like this.

As in, incoming payments from a specific IBAN go directly to a space?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

cefh17 wrote: »
    As in, incoming payments from a specific IBAN go directly to a space?

A space can now have its own IBAN. So if the incoming payment specifies that IBAN then it will arrive in that space.

https://support.n26.com/en-de/app-and-features/spaces/what-are-ibans-for-spaces-subaccounts

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

You can now add up to 10 IBANs to your spaces for incoming payments and direct debits, this will be handy, i've been waiting for something like this.

Only for the paid plans it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

A space can now have its own IBAN. So if the incoming payment specifies that IBAN then it will arrive in that space.

https://support.n26.com/en-de/app-and-features/spaces/what-are-ibans-for-spaces-subaccounts

Also supports direct debits, so combined with shared spaces it is getting close to being a joint account alternative (if debit cards could be associated to a shared space with an IBAN, it would basically act as a joint account).

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Thanks so much, I see the standard is free with a €10 one of charge for a physical debit card, just a final question, does the account remain free if a physical card required? I understand there is possible gov levy charges seperatly

Thank you
    I use N26 with Curve, which cuts out the need for ordering a physical N26 card. Couldn't fault it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Gooser14 wrote: »
    I have given up on using my cards for contactless payments because of the same problem & now use Google Pay. Is it not possible for you to link the card to Google Pay or iPay?
    Had the same issue with last my N26 card after a year or so. Seemed to be very shoddy quality.

As per my previous post, I didn't bother getting a replacement as I'd signed up with Curve in the meantime and no longer needed the physical N26 card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Bob24 wrote: »
    Also supports direct debits, so combined with shared spaces it is getting close to being a joint account alternative (if debit cards could be associated to a shared space with an IBAN, it would basically act as a joint account).

If they brought in approvals for direct debits, it'd be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

I ordered an N26 physical card in early March (the €10 cost was debited to my account on 10th March). The card arrived in the post on 6th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭frisket

I've had a SWIRL card since it was 3V but haven't used it much, and now I find it doesn't work on Google Pay. Plus my local convenience store refuses to handle topups on SWIRL because (they claim) "too many people complaining that topups they made had never appeared in their account". How stable are SWIRL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Great feature, I have N26 Smart with a DE IBAN but it's not available for me yet. Did yours just work or did you need to contact support?

EDIT: Contacted N26 chat support, at the moment it's only available for German customers while they iron out any issues / bugs. Later in the year it will be released for other markets, Ireland included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

The German Federal Financial Supervisory Authority has appointed a special commissioner for N26.

They are not satisfied with the execution of previous orders to N26 to prevent money laundering and terrorist financing.
    N26 Bank GmbH:
    Order to prevent money laundering and terrorist financing; appointment of a special commissioner
    On 11 May 2021, in order to prevent money laundering and terrorist financing, BaFin ordered N26 Bank GmbH to implement appropriate internal controls and safeguards and comply with general due diligence requirements.

A special commissioner is being appointed to monitor the implementation of this order and the company’s progress in resolving other shortcomings identified.

More specifically, BaFin ordered N26 Bank GmbH to rectify deficiencies both in IT monitoring and in customer due diligence.

In addition, N26 Bank GmbH is required to ensure that it has the adequate personnel, technical and organisational resources to comply with its obligations under anti-money laundering law.

These measures must each be implemented within a set time period.

In order to monitor the implementation of the measures, BaFin is appointing a special commissioner under section 45c (1) in conjunction with subsection (2) of the Banking Act (Kreditwesengesetz – KWG). The special commissioner is to provide BaFin with ongoing updates regarding the progress of the implementation.

This order is issued on the basis of section 6 (8) and section 51 (2) sentence 1 of the Money Laundering Act (Geldwäschegesetz – GwG). The publication of the order is based on section 57 of the GwG.

The notice has been final and binding since 11 May 2021.

Source:
    https://www.bafin.de/SharedDocs/Veroeffentlichungen/EN/Massnahmen/60b_KWG_und_57_GwG/meldung_210512_57_GwG_N26_en.html

This is very unusual for a German Bank but after the WireCard disaster maybe BaFin is just a little bit more aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

This is very unusual for a German Bank but after the WireCard disaster maybe BaFin is just a little bit more aggressive.

Yes exactly what I was going to say after reading the beginning of your post. This has Wirecard written all over it. BaFin is in a similar situation to the FAA in the US after the Boeing 737 Max crashes: a complacent regulator missed serious issues with a key industry player which lead to massive consequences, and the regulator is now in a position whereby it can't afford a repeat of that situation and has to show its teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭wassie

"Imagine a complacent 'banking' regulator missing serious issues with key all industry players which lead to massive consequences...."

....Fixed it for you there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

I’ve found N26 very well secured, at least from the end users point of view.

Hopefully they don’t get mired in burdensome restrictions that limit their services. There isn’t a huge technical advantage to them over AIB, but they’re better value for money.

I’d say Wirecard has the German regulators very on edge though. They’re developing a bit of reputation as the Wild West of Fintech, which I doubt sits very comfortably with Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

Having huge issues with companies in Ireland - Virgin Media, Eir - refusing to accept my N26 IBAN. Saying they can't accept overseas IBANs which is nonsense but this is the line they're pushing and it's making an easy job much more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭wassie

N26 have advice on their support section here.

Essentially this is termed ‘IBAN Discrimination’ and is against EU law.

N26's partner Wise (formerly Transferwise) published an update on this very issue a couple of days ago. Read here
    On World Consumer Rights Day (March 15), we launched AcceptMyIBAN.org with a few friends from the fintech world, including N26, Revolut, Klarna and SumUp. So now, whether you bank with HSBC, have a Wise account or pay with Revolut, there’s an easy way for you to report whenever your IBAN is not accepted. So far, more cases have been reported in just 2 weeks than the German authorities have seen in 3 years.

mosstin wrote: »
    Having huge issues with companies in Ireland - Virgin Media, Eir - refusing to accept my N26 IBAN. Saying they can't accept overseas IBANs which is nonsense but this is the line they're pushing and it's making an easy job much more difficult.

This is rubbish, I had eir signed up to a Dutch IBAN for direct debit

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Often you get someone on the phone who doesn't know what they are talking about and you need to fill in a paper mandate to get it working with N26. Both eir and Virgin can be paid by direct debit this way.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/sepa-international-direct-debit.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi6mve8otvwAhUwVRUIHUtfB-cQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw0BrEh5_xX2yndp7cCY7M05

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.virginmedia.ie/content/dam/www-virginmedia-ie/pdf/direct-debit-mandate.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj2-ajTotvwAhUHVBUIHSynCvAQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw1MOUwC3Lm04uSNLhmAPmyQ

McGaggs wrote: »
    This is rubbish, I had eir signed up to a ditch IBAN for direct debit

Rubbish how? I've just spent this pm on an online chat with a customer service rep from eir who told me they won't accept an IBAN from a non-Irish company. Why would I lie about that? :confused:

Already tried the VM one only to receive a text message to say my attempt was unsuccessful. Since sent a complaint to VM and awaiting a response. I don't understand the reluctance to accept the overseas IBAN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Gooser14

You need to tell them that they are committing IBAN discrimination & what they are doing is illigal and contravenes EU Regulation 260/2012. Also tell them that you will be reporting the matter to the Central Bank if they refuse to accept N26. See the following link:

https://www.centralbank.ie/financial-system/payments-and-securities-settlements/irish-retail-payments-forum/iban-discrimination

You need to tell them that they are committing IBAN discrimination & what they are doing is illigal and contravenes EU Regulation 260/2012. Also tell them that you will be reporting the matter to the Central Bank if they refuse to accept N26. See the following link:

https://www.centralbank.ie/financial-system/payments-and-securities-settlements/irish-retail-payments-forum/iban-discrimination

Done all of that and already reported Virgin to the CCPC the other day (they've already responded). Just can't believe both VM and Eir are openly telling customers they can't have a non-domestic IBAN for direct debits.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

They've heard it all before but like everything else in this country there's no enforcement

Out of date systems is there excuse, sure payments still shows as 'UPC Ireland' on your bank statement.

If VM won't accept it just pay monthly with your n26 debit card online when they email you...a pain i know but a workaround.

They've heard it all before but like everything else in this country there's no enforcement

Out of date systems is there excuse, sure payments still shows as 'UPC Ireland' on your bank statement.

If VM won't accept it just pay monthly with your n26 debit card online when they email you...a pain i know but a workaround.

Nah, I'll just switch to Vodafone istead who also tried to fob me off at first but then set it up soon after I mentioned IBAN discrimination etc. It's making a really straightforward process unnecessarily complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Gooser14

mosstin wrote:
    Done all of that and already reported Virgin to the CCPC the other day (they've already responded). Just can't believe both VM and Eir are openly telling customers they can't have a non-domestic IBAN for direct debits.

Did you get a positive or negative response?

Did you get a positive or negative response?

Where Virgin Media are refusing to accept your bank details in order to set up a direct debit, we would suggest submitting a formal written complaint to Virgin Media outlining the above information to them and requesting on what legal basis they are not accepting your account details, which we understand you have done. You may also wish to add that you have brought the matter to the attention of the CCPC.

If your issue is not resolved following engagement with Virgin Media, please revert to us providing all relevant information and correspondence. At that point we will provide the information to our Consumer Protection Division (CPD).

Our CPD examine consumer issues in the context of overall consumer detriment, or loss and carry out whatever action (if any) is deemed necessary and appropriate. The CCPC is grateful to consumers who take the time to make complaints and highlight areas where there might be consumer loss however, we are not in a position to investigate all complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Virgin media took my revolut (well after the piece of paper i posted in went missing) and then N26 over the phone

Eflow took it online with no messing

Sky I just used the master card and comes out automatically

Panda no matter what i do wont/cant take card

Electric Ireland post in form

Rubbish how? I've just spent this pm on an online chat with a customer service rep from eir who told me they won't accept an IBAN from a non-Irish company. Why would I lie about that? :confused:

I'm saying you are being told rubbish by the idiot in Eir. I had my eir bill being paid by DD from a Bunq bank account with a Dutch IBAN.

No, it says Virgin Media Ireland Limited on my bank statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Just checked and AGAIN I owe virgin media two months at they didn't take it

Said they put my N26 IBAN in, but there's a IE IBAN on my account, clowns

Advertisement