Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

But most people don't care about these services. I'm with KBC and they don't offer cash services. I knew that before joining but I didn't care. Same with cheques. If legacy backs think they are safe because the new banks don't offer cheque and cash services then they are very very wrong. They will lose the people who don't need these services and value a usable app and quick transfers over them. I was on a stag a few years ago and all but one person on the stag was using Revolut. It was used for everything. A few people were paying for meals and everyone else would Revolut them their share of it.

Were the lads arguing over who would get the referral bonus for the one person who hadn't got it yet?

Bob24 wrote: »
    As I as also mentioning, “new banks” on the Irish market are also missing mortgages, mostly missing consumer loans, mostly missing credit cards, have a very limited offering of insurance products, and are mostly lacking savings accounts*.

Of course anyone can take some of those services in isolation and say they don’t care about them, but my point is that if someone wants a one-stop shop for banking services, fintechs and online banks are still very far from it in Ireland (but again I wouldn’t say the same in every country). And almost anyone will need one of those services at some point and thus will have to consider dealing with an Irish bank.

Don’t get me wrong I am not trying to defend Irish banks, I don’t like them either.

But the reality is that there are still many banking services on which they have an oligopoly. Clearly if they are resting on their laurels they will eventually fall behind, but as of now I think their main cash generating services remain mostly unchallenged by neobanks.

* yes, agree interest rates are rubbish :-)

It's often said on here about how current account just cost the banks money. Surely the legacy banks would be delighted to let someone else pay for day to day banking while they carry on dealing with the profitable stuff like lending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

Anyone run into issues with changing direct debits to N26? Just called Vodafone and they tried to do it over the phone but it wouldn't because the IBAN began with DE and not IE. Told me they'd ring me back tomorrow when the bank holiday was over.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

mosstin wrote: »
    Anyone run into issues with changing direct debits to N26? Just called Vodafone and they tried to do it over the phone but it wouldn't because the IBAN began with DE and not IE. Told me they'd ring me back tomorrow when the bank holiday was over.

Paper/manual form needed, see here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116919224&postcount=53

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Yeah most won't accept it, some do and have to fill in a form and post it in (electric Ireland), virgin media did it over phone, eflow allow you on the website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I had one with Irish Life, worked for a couple of months and then out of the blue the deductions just stopped and had to call Irish Life who had cancelled it due to the foreign IBAN.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

We can only dream of companies refusing non IE IBANs being fined €800k (in the case of Vodafone Italy).

https://www.ecc-netitalia.it/en/news-and-publications/news/826-iban-discrimination-authority

Xenji wrote: »
    I had one with Irish Life, worked for a couple of months and then out of the blue the deductions just stopped and had to call Irish Life who had cancelled it due to the foreign IBAN.

Was it policy by Irish Life, or a solo run by a staff member?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Gooser14

jeffk wrote: »
    Yeah most won't accept it, some do and have to fill in a form and post it in (electric Ireland), virgin media did it over phone, eflow allow you on the website

It's called IBAN Discrimination & is against EU Regulation No 260/2012. See the following link:

https://www.centralbank.ie/consumer-hub/explainers/what-is-iban-discrimination-and-what-can-i-do-about-it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

McGaggs wrote: »
    Was it policy by Irish Life, or a solo run by a staff member?

I would go with staff member, they made a balls of setting up my new Irish direct debit by having somebody else's IBAN on my account, the second time they took down my IBAN wrong and it was third time lucky when they actually got things up and running.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    I would go with staff member, they made a balls of setting up my new Irish direct debit by having somebody else's IBAN on my account, the second time they took down my IBAN wrong and it was third time lucky when they actually got things up and running.

I'd follow the steps here and try to do it yourself, sounds like you are being fobbed off by a clueless staff member. You'll soon find out if kt is company policy or not.

https://help.irishlife.ie/hc/en-us/articles/115000892725-Direct-Debit-Mandate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It's often said on here about how current account just cost the banks money. Surely the legacy banks would be delighted to let someone else pay for day to day banking while they carry on dealing with the profitable stuff like lending.

To some extend I think so yes.

One Potential problem for them though is that the relationship established with the customer by providing current accounts makes it easier for a bank to sell its profitable products.

So it kind of depends what the likes of N26 and Revolut do about it once they have taken away that relationship.

If they are using it as a way to position themselves as brokers referring their customer to old fashioned banks for more advanced products everyone could actually be happy (the fintech gets commissions, the bank can focus on its profitable products and partly outsource the customer acquisition process, and the customers sees some type of integration between the innovative current account product they like and more complex banking services from other providers).

But if on the other hand the fintechs decide that they want become full fledged banks and offer those services themselves, then legacy players are in trouble.

Bob24 wrote: »
    One Potential problem for them though is that the relationship established with the customer by providing current accounts makes it easier for a bank to sell its profitable products.

I'd hate to think there's people out there with a BoI mortgage because mammy opened them a BoI saving account when they were 6. Don't most people go to a broker, or just research the market themselves when going for a mortgage?

I'd hate to think there's people out there with a BoI mortgage because mammy opened them a BoI saving account when they were 6. Don't most people go to a broker, or just research the market themselves when going for a mortgage?

Yes and no, certainly banks want to start forming a relationship as early as possible whether thst be a child, youth or student account. People in this country are notoriously bad for not switching despite loyalty being worth zilch.

When it comes to a mortgage people might shop around (they also may not) but like anything if the incumbent is in or around the same rate as the competition then in this case BOI will get the business as its 'easier than moving'.

Their latest tag line 'Begin' also means from the start of a consumers financial product life cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yes and no, certainly banks want to start forming a relationship as early as possible whether thst be a child, youth or student account. People in this country are notoriously bad for not switching despite loyalty being worth zilch.

When it comes to a mortgage people might shop around (they also may not) but like anything if the incumbent is in or around the same rate as the competition then in this case BOI will get the business as its 'easier than moving'.

Their latest tag line 'Begin' also means from the start of a consumers financial product life cycle.

This, plus the fact that people are less likely to shop around when it comes to overdrafts, credit cards, small loans, investment products, and insurance products. Branch contacts, phone contacts, and mobile/online banking all provide good avenues to market those products to existing current account holders.

Btw when it comes to mortgages I couldn’t agree more when it comes to saying that it makes very little sense to just default to the bank with whom one as a current. But as you said some people just do it, and even if it is a minority it still is good and easy business for the bank.

Now in aggregate would it hurt the sale of those products by Irish banks if tomorrow everyone was switching to N26 or similar for their current account? I think it is a hard question to answer and it really depends and what strategy the fintechs offering current accounts would adopt related to those more advanced products.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Apologies if asked before.

Is there a monthly, Quarterly maintenance charge with N26, Do have to maintain minimum balance, lodge specific amounts monthly etc.

Thanks in advance

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Apologies if asked before.

Is there a monthly, Quarterly maintenance charge with N26, Do have to maintain minimum balance, lodge specific amounts monthly etc.

Thanks in advance

That depends on the account type you choose, it goes from free (with no plastic card) to 16.90 a month for metal.

https://n26.com/en-eu/plans

That depends on the account type you choose, it goes from free (with no plastic card) to 16.90 a month for metal.

https://n26.com/en-eu/plans

Thanks so much, I see the standard is free with a €10 one of charge for a physical debit card, just a final question, does the account remain free if a physical card required? I understand there is possible gov levy charges seperatly

Thank you

Thanks so much, I see the standard is free with a €10 one of charge for a physical debit card, just a final question, does the account remain free if a physical card required? I understand there is possible gov levy charges seperatly

Thank you

The account remains free even with your physical card as long as you stay within the set limits. Like 3 free € ATM withdrawals a month.

However the usual Irish ATM tax applies for any withdrawal in the republic with the same rules and limits you Irish debit card has.

The account remains free even with your physical card as long as you stay within the set limits. Like 3 free € ATM withdrawals a month.

However the usual Irish ATM tax applies for any withdrawal in the republic with the same rules and limits you Irish debit card has.

Fantastic, looks like this might be my best option when KBC finish up, thanks again :)

• Advertisement

Fantastic, looks like this might be my best option when KBC finish up, thanks again :)

I guess that is where loads of people will end up.
    KBC does not have cash operations so the that means one is already over a usual main disadvantage of N26.

I guess that is where loads of people will end up.
    KBC does not have cash operations so the that means one is already over a usual main disadvantage of N26.

Yes indeed, I've been with KBC from the start and their app excellent, quite surprising given their business model and advanced mobile technologies, they've not considered continuing in Ireland albeit with a 100 online presence, who knows, they just might

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I read on trustpilot a few reviews say their N26 account was frozen whilst undergoing a "technical review". They saw no reason for this and one customer had only small sums going through account.

Has anybody else experienced this. I was thinking of moving my day to day banking to them. I would be transferring monthly about €2,000 into my account by EFT from a bank of Ireland savings account. Don't know if N26 would freeze my account over this sum?

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I read on trustpilot a few reviews say their N26 account was frozen whilst undergoing a "technical review". They saw no reason for this and one customer had only small sums going through account.

Has anybody else experienced this. I was thinking of moving my day to day banking to them. I would be transferring monthly about €2,000 into my account by EFT from a bank of Ireland savings account. Don't know if N26 would freeze my account over this sum?

I've had a n26 account for 2 years, get my salary paid in monthly - never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭wassie

3 years of N26 and never an issue with it as my daily transaction account. I also transfer across monthly from my Irish bank account to which my salary is credited. I would close it altogether but I occasionally receive payments by cheque (which is a complete PITA) and it is linked to my credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Has anyone ever had an issue with the contactless?

Lately I'm finding it refuses to work, but works via chip and pin. Amounts would be under the tap limits so don't think that is causing it. God knows how old the card is, but it's due to be replaced later this year anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

cefh17 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had an issue with the contactless?

Lately I'm finding it refuses to work, but works via chip and pin. Amounts would be under the tap limits so don't think that is causing it. God knows how old the card is, but it's due to be replaced later this year anyhow

I had this issue last year and had to get a replacement card. The terminals wouldn't even detect the card half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

loyatemu wrote: »
    I had this issue last year and had to get a replacement card. The terminals wouldn't even detect the card half the time.

Did N26 charge you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I have given up on using my cards for contactless payments because of the same problem & now use Google Pay. Is it not possible for you to link the card to Google Pay or iPay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You can now add up to 10 IBANs to your spaces for incoming payments and direct debits, this will be handy, i've been waiting for something like this.

Advertisement