Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

For the EU that would be fine but €1m isn't a lot in the US healthcare system. This was my concern on these free travel policies that banks offer.

Just shows you how crazy the US system is, but I cannot see how you would go over 1 milllion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

user1842 wrote: »
    Just shows you how crazy the US system is, but I cannot see how you would go over 1 milllion.

A compound fracture in your leg would do it.

McGaggs wrote: »

Haha, come on, their heatlcare is not that bad.

A lot cheaper to get an international air ambulance back to Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

McGaggs wrote: »

I couldn't envisage a compound fracture costing anything near 1mil in u.s. hospital. What does it cost an orthopaedic surgeon and few days in hospital.

A better example would be a medical emergency requiring prolonged intensive care. Plus repatriation back to Ireland via Air ambulance. That could easily tip over the mil mark. I suppose a sudden heart attack requiring stents would cost a tens of thousands?

What does the average travel insurance cover provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

[QUOTE=Yyhhuuu;117392792
    A better example would be a medical emergency requiring prolonged intensive care. Plus repatriation back to Ireland via Air ambulance. That could easily tip over the mil mark. I suppose a sudden heart attack requiring stents would cost a tens of thousands?

What does the average travel insurance cover provide?[/QUOTE]

The ones I've looked at recently are in the range €4-€20 million.
    VHI Multitrip used to be €1 or €2 million - now €10 million.

Seems high - but allows for worst-case illness scenario in USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

So my account was just cleaned out of a few grand, I submitted the dispute from within the app, and re ordered the card.

How long does this normally take to get sorted and have my money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So my account was just cleaned out of a few grand, I submitted the dispute from within the app, and re ordered the card.

OK, we need a bit more information about what exactly happened before we can guess what N26 will do. Who "cleaned" it out?

flazio wrote: »
    OK, we need a bit more information about what exactly happened before we can guess what N26 will do. Who "cleaned" it out?

I'm not exactly sure who it was but the chat representative said

"There’s no way to know exactly how your data was obtained. But what could've happened is:

- the card was read (skimmed) when cash was withdrawn at an ATM
    - data was read when a payment was made, or
    - the database of an online shop was hacked

I can see that the merchant is located in the US, city:WEST SALISBUR"

So someone in West Salisbur.

4 or 5 different transactions from really strange merchant names like "AHHDKKEJ SJKXNJK"
    And one from AliExpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

That's an ATM skim or your payment information was stolen from a phishing site / online malware like magecart. I was skimmed before in an large Ulster Bank and got multiple attempts for approx €350 over and over, fortunately TSB called me about this and prevented it.

When was the last time you used an ATM to withdraw?
    When was the last time you used a non popular website to pay for an item?
    Do you have Payments Abroad enabled in your N36 card settings?

I'm not exactly sure who it was but the chat representative said

"There’s no way to know exactly how your data was obtained. But what could've happened is:

- the card was read (skimmed) when cash was withdrawn at an ATM
    - data was read when a payment was made, or
    - the database of an online shop was hacked

I can see that the merchant is located in the US, city:WEST SALISBUR"

So someone in West Salisbur.

4 or 5 different transactions from really strange merchant names like "AHHDKKEJ SJKXNJK"
    And one from AliExpress.

Surprising that fraud detection algorithms did not pick this up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Haha, come on, their heatlcare is not that bad.

It is not a question of being bad it is a question being very expensive. A good friend of mine did his MBA at Columbia University in the 60s and unlikely his colleagues he moved to Ireland with his Irish wife.

His colleagues did much better than him career wise and are definitely more wealth, but they are afraid to enjoy it in case they need it to cover health expenses when their insurance runs out.

Medical bankruptcy is very real over there.
    A lot cheaper to get an international air ambulance back to Ireland :)

If you are allowed travel and if you can cover the costs. Looking at the costs out of Zürich to Dublin it’s about 40k Euro.

I know of two friends who have had visitors fall seriously ill while visiting Switzerland, one was not allowed fly back to Japan for two months, the other who had a relapse was not allowed to fly to South America for eleven months.

According to the first para you quoted it was….

Jim2007 wrote: »
    According to the first para you quoted it was….

Sorry quoted the wrong post :)

I know I was super surprised, many years ago back in the wire card days I remember something similar happened but the app blocked them right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Has anyone any experience about delivery times for an N26 physical card? I had to reset my phone and in order to pair it back with my account needed the physical card otherwise I can't do much with my account.

Customer Service is fast - but could only tell me up to 28 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

FGR wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience about delivery times for an N26 physical card? I had to reset my phone and in order to pair it back with my account needed the physical card otherwise I can't do much with my account.

Customer Service is fast - but could only tell me up to 28 days.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117407116&postcount=2806

You don't need card, I had to wait about twelve hours then put in what they asked, about a hour later good to go

Just an update on the following, still no word from N26 whatsoever, not impressed.

Just an update on the following, still no word from N26 whatsoever, not impressed.

I would be extremely surprised if you had gotten a response by now.

From your previous post you referred to 4 or 5 transactions all of which passed through the fraud filters, that would imply that they were processed by valid merchants and are typically of the type of transactions you engage in. That makes the investigation much more difficult than normal, I’d give them a week or more to complete their investigation.

You might try asking them to give you a temporary credit while they complete their investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Did you not get notifications on your phone when the transactions happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

FGR wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience about delivery times for an N26 physical card?

See my previous post.

I ordered an N26 physical card in early March (the €10 cost was debited to my account on 10th March). The card arrived in the post on 6th May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

You can get €126 for joining N26 and making it your "salary account". It's only on their German site, but doesn't seem to be Germany-only.

jrmb wrote: »
    You can get €126 for joining N26 and making it your "salary account". It's only on their German site, but doesn't seem to be Germany-only.

Salary accounts are a special type of account in Germany, Switzerland and possibly Austria. They tend to be very profitable for the banks and many banks in the region offer inducements to get customers for these products.

If they are willing to pay everyone for it, then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

This is however the "N26 Standard Account" with its limits.

You might be better off to use "N26FREEYOU" to get the you account for 12 months for free which is 118.80€ value.

Also, this requires that your employer sends the salary to the account for at least 3 consecutive salary payments and the payment needs to be coded as Salary to avoid you just moving money to the account pretending.

Edited because this is not valid for Irish customers (bold highlight is me).

Sales promotion for new customers by N26 Bank GmbH, Rungestr. 22, 10179 Berlin, Germany. Promotion period 10.06.2021-30.06.2021. Promotion applies to all N26 tiers and may be used once per customer with valid residence in Germany. New customers who successfully sign up (have completed a successful identity verification and have been confirmed for a bank account by N26 Bank GmbH) for a N26 bank account within the promotion period will be credited up to €126 by N26 Bank GmbH. This credit will be transferred if the newly set up account is used as a salary account for three consecutive months (with incoming monthly transactions of at least €700 by 31.12.2021 from a bank account not associated with the same name), as well as at least one outgoing card transaction per month (incl. Google/Apple Pay). Following the first card transaction with the N26 bank account, new N26 customers will receive €25 in their N26 accounts immediately. In the event that at least 3 incoming transfers of at least €700 per month are credited to the N26 bank account by 31.12.2021, we’ll transfer an additional credit of 101€. The payout of €101 for new N26 customers onto their N26 bank account will take place automatically within 4 weeks after their 3rd incoming salary transaction. The T&Cs applicable for the respective N26 bank accounts fully apply and can be accessed at any time via n26.com. To be eligible for this promotion, new N26 customers must use the following promotion code during registration: N26GIROKONTO. The registration must take place at the latest by 30.06.2021 and the promotion code must be used during registration. The promotion code may only be used once per customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

This is however the "N26 Standard Account" with its limits.

You might be better off to use "N26FREEYOU" to get the you account for 12 months for free which is 118.80€ value.

Also, this requires that your employer sends the salary to the account for at least 3 consecutive salary payments and the payment needs to be coded as Salary to avoid you just moving money to the account pretending.

Edited because this is not valid for Irish customers (bold highlight is me).

Sales promotion for new customers by N26 Bank GmbH, Rungestr. 22, 10179 Berlin, Germany. Promotion period 10.06.2021-30.06.2021. Promotion applies to all N26 tiers and may be used once per customer with valid residence in Germany. New customers who successfully sign up (have completed a successful identity verification and have been confirmed for a bank account by N26 Bank GmbH) for a N26 bank account within the promotion period will be credited up to €126 by N26 Bank GmbH. This credit will be transferred if the newly set up account is used as a salary account for three consecutive months (with incoming monthly transactions of at least €700 by 31.12.2021 from a bank account not associated with the same name), as well as at least one outgoing card transaction per month (incl. Google/Apple Pay). Following the first card transaction with the N26 bank account, new N26 customers will receive €25 in their N26 accounts immediately. In the event that at least 3 incoming transfers of at least €700 per month are credited to the N26 bank account by 31.12.2021, we’ll transfer an additional credit of 101€. The payout of €101 for new N26 customers onto their N26 bank account will take place automatically within 4 weeks after their 3rd incoming salary transaction. The T&Cs applicable for the respective N26 bank accounts fully apply and can be accessed at any time via n26.com. To be eligible for this promotion, new N26 customers must use the following promotion code during registration: N26GIROKONTO. The registration must take place at the latest by 30.06.2021 and the promotion code must be used during registration. The promotion code may only be used once per customer.

:( Ah well. So what's the difference between a salary account and a current account?

:( Ah well. So what's the difference between a salary account and a current account?

A German "Gehaltskonto" (Salary Account) is exactly that, it's an account that is used to receive your Salary.

It's the most common account and if your company manages to pay you with the right payment code your account might be free for some banks. Plus, the coding matters for example for overdraft facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 JoyOfGood

That's shocking! N26 seems to be the easiest to skim. They're the only ones I've ever had unknown transactions from abroad, on two separate cards, which were not processed. I can't recall if it was because of lack of funds or GPS location. Another reason I've decided to stick with Revolut for day-to-day shopping. I had a transaction fail while paying for diesel, because I left my phone in the car. It's an inconvenience, but gives me peace of mind.

I hope the issue gets resolved for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Suckit wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of signing up you can currently get a free N26 YOU account for 12 months using the code N26FREEYOU

https://twitter.com/n26/status/1402578040023138310

Do I get a free card with you account?

What's to stop me signing up and cancelling once the 12 months are up and just get the card sent out for free?

irishgeo wrote: »
    Do I get a free card with you account?

What's to stop me signing up and cancelling once the 12 months are up and just get the card sent out for free?

There is a debit card included in the "you account".

Once you cancel your "you subscription" (remember to do it before it's up for automatic renewal) your card will remain active, but you lose any other "you account" feature and revert to the basic account (or whatever account model N26 than has).

Just remember to cancel in time to avoid getting charged another full year of "you subscription".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

See n26 bring in split bill similar like revolut, Find this a very handy option when out with friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Looks like they will start supporting crypto soon:
    https://financefwd.com/de/n26-serbien/

Advertisement