Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teenagers with no value for life and no care for repercussions - **Read OP**

• 05-05-2021 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭

What can be done to try change these attitudes before they get too much more prevalent..These guys know that they cant be touched and even if they are will be out soon anyway!

Mod - This topic can be discussed in general terms but do not discuss an ongoing court case
    Beasty wrote: »
    No more posts encouraging violence, or else there will be threadbans and/or cards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

Proper parenting would be a good start.

How you get that is above my pay grade.

I would suggest an overhaul of the juvenile criminal system.
    The age of criminal responsibility should be lowered back to 7, as it was years ago.
    Also, the chances they get to receive cautions should be strictly kept to two.
    Once you have received your cautions, you are then off to the courts for any further crimes committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Absolutely shocking but not surprised there are some serious amount of evil bastardos among us .

Dublin city is a cess pool, we need to see Garda presence, rare if none at all on the beat and young gang's everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Sterilisation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Parents of underage thugs should pay the fines and do the time for the runts they brought into the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭gluppers

Scum. Lock up the parents too. Also why little outrage about this on social media?? The murder of the woman in London (Sarah Everard (RIP)) got much more attention on Irish social media

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Allinall wrote: »
    Proper parenting would be a good start.

How you get that is above my pay grade.

A good start would be by actually teaching it.

It is one of the most important things we do, as parents are the main influence on how children will turn out, by extension that is how our society will turn out in the future.
    Yet we are never taught anything about good parenting.
    I believe the majority want their children to succeed, obviously there are some exceptions.

It is easy for some to say it should be common sense but if you have had generations of bad parenting you've individuals who have very little concept of what good parenting is. And before people jump on me, I'm not excusing anything by people saying they have had hard/bad upbringing, people should be punished, but that alone will not solve the issues.

Parenting classes should be provided by the government for all, and to get people to go, link it to child support. You want child support you do the classes. Even if it is only a few days a year I believe it could make a big difference.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The lack of regard for life among certain teenage groups is beyond frightening.

The video of the woman being tripped and subsequently falling onto the train tracks in Howth will haunt me for a long time.

Thank God she was pulled out without injury or death.

They knew exactly what they were doing. Pure, unbridled evil imho.

It's almost a competition among them to see how far they'll go to prove how scummy they are.

Children's allowance payments that aren't capped encourage people who can't afford to have kids, to have kids. The parents don't particularly care about the kids, they just want the money.

Kids are neglected and grow up to be scum. Realise, at about 11 years of age, they are untouchable in terms of the law. Fall in with the wrong crowd and start in drugs and delivering/dealing as they can't be punished and once in that circle of people, they all egg each other on to do more depraved stuff as it's all just a bit of craic.

Keep in mind, even adults in Ireland don't really face the consequences of their actions.

Meanwhile, the poor chaps will have signed up for the housing list (where having an anti-social record and criminal convictions don't slow you down getting a free house) and you'll have your medical card, social welfare, etc. when you're an adult, and the kids know all this, as they've been told it over and over again by the adults around them.

Once someone goes into "that" side of the economy, and starts with never working a real job, dealing drugs, acting like a thug and getting away with it all, it's incredibly difficult to get them back on the 'right' side of things at all.

There is no effort by the Gardai or Councils to tackle the issues or hit the scumbags where it hurts, so there is no fear of repercussion, as there rarely is any repercussion to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

stoneill wrote: »
    Parents of underage thugs should pay the fines and do the time for the runts they brought into the world.
    Good luck with getting the fines from their parents...you honestly think they will be working? Lol
    Doubt it's legal to take from their welfare either zzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

cruizer101 wrote: »
    A good start would be by actually teaching it.

It is one of the most important things we do, as parents are the main influence on how children will turn out, by extension that is how our society will turn out in the future.
    Yet we are never taught anything about good parenting.
    I believe the majority want their children to succeed, obviously there are some exceptions.

It is easy for some to say it should be common sense but if you have had generations of bad parenting you've individuals who have very little concept of what good parenting is. And before people jump on me, I'm not excusing anything by people saying they have had hard/bad upbringing, people should be punished, but that alone will not solve the issues.

Parenting classes should be provided by the government for all, and to get people to go, link it to child support. You want child support you do the classes. Even if it is only a few days a year I believe it could make a big difference.

good parents can end up with bad kids no matter what they do. If a family has 3/4/5 kids & one gets into trouble or commits serious offences but the others are all law abiding citizens, then why would the parents be accused of being a bad influence or failing in their parenting role?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've had knives pulled by teenagers while in work, they have zero fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sartre.

I've had knives pulled by teenagers while in work, they have zero fear.

Most of these incidents are an offence but what's at the end of it if they're charged

Not a lot usually and they know it, the ones involved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Sartre. wrote: »
    Most of these incidents are an offence but what's at the end of it if they're charged

Not a lot usually and they know it, the ones involved

A truly hard and horrible beating would soon teach some manners...

I am at the point where I feel pain is the only true teacher that will work for some of these, pain and if they don't learn even more pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sartre.

I am at the point where I feel pain is the only true teacher that will work for some of these, pain and if they don't learn even more pain.

There's a lot wrong in this country with the youth justice system

I've had a lot of involvement

One of the big screwups is the Garda time being wasted on marijuana

It's driving the youth onto more dangerous stuff and if they get court they have to stay off it for the drug tests and so turn to alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭KildareP

Absolutely shocking but not surprised there are some serious amount of evil bastardos among us .

Dublin city is a cess pool, we need to see Garda presence, rare if none at all on the beat and young gang's everywhere.
    I'm not surprised the Gardaí don't have a presence - they aren't backed up by the courts even if they did.

You have people with tens of previous convictions freely walking the streets on suspended sentences, and on the odd occasion when they do see the inside of a jail cell, seem to be let out early on "good behaviour".

There's nothing to deter someone starting off down the road this teen has set out on. They don't care. They know they don't need to care. They have free reign to do as they please without repercussion from the law.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Indeed, if it's one thing that history has taught us over and over again it's that violence is always the solution to society's problems :rolleyes:

If this thread starts going down a rabbit hole with nonsense like this it'll be closed immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The real problem is how this situation is allowed to arise. Because when a teenager commits minor crimes, there is a soft-touch legal response and they basically have no repercussions for what they do. So is it any wonder that their criminal behaviour is allowed to develop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭dogbert27

It's not just Ireland.

The rise in teenage violence in the U.K. is horrifying too with very little media spotlight. It's forgotten as soon as reported as it's so frequent.

Similarly in Finland there's a case of teenagers killing another teen. Most teenagers in Helsinki admit to carrying a knife for safety, unknown to their parents.

I'm sounding like an old crank now but I really do believe that the level of violence in video games and tv has de-sensitised youth to reality.

Parents are to blame too. I was in Game Stop and a kid about 12 went to buy Grand Theft Auto. The salesman refused to sell it to him and the kids parents came over and gave out to the salesman! They then bought the game themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

good parents can end up with bad kids no matter what they do. If a family has 3/4/5 kids & one gets into trouble or commits serious offences but the others are all law abiding citizens, then why would the parents be accused of being a bad influence or failing in their parenting role?

I never said that.

Obviously there will be exceptions but on average as a nation if we had better parenting skills there should be less troublesome children/teenagers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

bubblypop wrote: »
    The age of criminal responsibility should be lowered back to 7, as it was years ago.

How would this benefit us?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

dogbert27 wrote: »
    It's not just Ireland.

The rise in teenage violence in the U.K. is horrifying too with very little media spotlight. It's forgotten as soon as reported as it's so frequent.

Similarly in Finland there's a case of teenagers killing another teen. Most teenagers in Helsinki admit to carrying a knife for safety, unknown to their parents.

I'm sounding like an old crank now but I really do believe that the level of violence in video games and tv has de-sensitised youth to reality.

Parents are to blame too. I was in Game Stop and a kid about 12 went to buy Grand Theft Auto. The salesman refused to sell it to him and the kids parents came over and gave out to the salesman! They then bought the game themselves.

You're hardly saying this is a result of grand theft auto?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

For your general young offender/delinquent etc.. there should be something akin to a three strikes law where if upon your third offense you get a long mandatory prison sentence.

It's a disgrace that we have court cases for people with dozens of prior convictions, and I personally value the removal of these people from society where they can't cause any more pain to innocent people, and a sense of justice to the victims, over endless slapped wrists and chances of rehabilitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭toffeeshel

When the parents don’t even bother to accompany the accused to court - it tells you all you need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

The loss of a sense of community, low self respect and having no positive role models in their lives seems to me to be quite a large driver of these disaffected youths, who then go on to raise disaffected youths.
    How that is remedied is the million Euro question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭dogbert27

You're hardly saying this is a result of grand theft auto?

The point was regarding the bad parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

WrenBoy wrote: »
    The loss of a sense of community, low self respect and having no positive role models in their lives seems to me to be quite a large driver of these disaffected youths, who then go on to raise disaffected youths.
    How that is remedied is the million Euro question.

the lack of a role model is a huge one, but the level of cynicism is so high you'd wonder how you'd ever fix this. Especially considering those that don't share the same level of cynicism are likely to be ostracized themselves

How would this benefit us?

These kids are not subject to normal law but juvenile detention except in the case of murder. I think 7 is too young though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Old Man Yells At Cloud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Old Man Yells At Cloud

how's it old man yells at cloud when there are gangs of 14 year olds with knives?

Advertisement