Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Murphy TD resigns...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Co-responsible with Harris and Varadkar for FG's disaster in the election...Harris recovered from being hidden away for an election campaign Eoghan didn't.

Never struck me as competent so would be nervous of him being around nuclear weapons. :)

Best of luck Eoghan, as they say around here 'I'm sure you'll not be stuck'.

Very true. They hid Harris in the skeleton cupboard until the election was over as he was so hated

Now of course Harris the social media obsessed fool that he is, has joined tik tok

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

This made me laugh a lot.

From Twitter...

"Cosain
    @cosainireland
    ·
    1h
    After hearing the news of Eoghan Murphy's resignation, Hazel Chu's 3 year old daughter said "Mummy, having regard to the gender inequality in Dáil Éireann aswell as the lack of diversity, might it be prudent for you to consider a run in the Dublin Bay South by-election?""

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Co-responsible with Harris and Varadkar for FG's disaster in the election...Harris recovered from being hidden away for an election campaign Eoghan didn't.

Never struck me as competent so would be nervous of him being around nuclear weapons. :)

Oh yes I forgot they hid Harris during the campaign. He was anonymous.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Murphy was having a quiet election until that poor homeless person was injured in that the digger incident and for that to happen in Murphy's constituency, I was surprised he still got elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Whatever about Murphy's qualifications for the job and failings. I think Murphy had a thankless task.
    In fact I cannot think of a more difficult job in Irish politics than Housing Minister besides the Minister for Health.

Both poisoned chalices. The 'hurlers in the ditch' can have a great time attacking both posts to detract attention from elsewhere. Or just play the political game.

It will be the same for whichever party ends up in those positions in the future (regardless of party affiliation). Basically they can't win. Monumental tasks that take not years but decades to solve in any meaningful way.

The whole culture of Ireland is base on people having land and owning houses. Unlike that of italy where many rent and they build up not out - for example.

Much more accommodation could be built by going up instead of out. But it is in the Irish psyche to have a garden/land.

It will happen in time but cultures take time to change. It will be out of necessity rather than design though.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Economics101

Labour's Kevin Humphreys (a thoroughly decent bloke, by the way) was on Claire Byrne this morning talking about possible by-election candidates. Apparently Labour's likely choice is Ivana Bacik. He pronounced it as "back-itch" :D Puts the old description of giving someone a vote as "giving them a scratch" into a new perspective.

Bacik, Chu and O'Connell: what an ad for women in politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

I’m also finding people are way too enamoured with stuff like the French culture of angry street protests, without understanding why that emerged. The Gilets Jaunes didn’t emerge out of some Gallic rebellious nature, but rather out of a political structure that doesn’t represent very accurately.

It originates in the days of France having had a 7 year executive presidential term, so the only way groups got heard was through protest.

It’s also the product of frustration with a very slightly modified first past the post electoral system, which has round 1 with all the candidates and then round 2 a week later between the two with the largest share (which is far less than 50%). So basically you have a run off between someone like Macron who at most gets about 30% support and Le Pen. The majority of voters are opposed to Le Pen, but that doesn’t mean they’re huge fans of Macron. So you usually end up with a president who has been elected at the least worst option and has a weak mandate and that goes into endless street protests.

Irish people have access to an extremely open PR democracy that tries to genuinely reflect public opinion, yet you’ve people who will tell you how great the French are for their direct street action, and wonder why Irish people aren’t out in outrage all the time too, without ever pausing to think about the differences.

The angry street protests are occurring due to democratic deficits and representational problems.

Frustrations in the USA come from similar problems with lack of representation.

If you look at the democracy index, the countries at the top, including Ireland, have generally very boring politics because there structures function and democratic culture works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I’m also finding people are way too enamoured with stuff like the French culture of angry street protests, without understanding why that emerged.

It originates in the days of France having a 7 year executive presidential term, so the only way groups got heard was through protest.

It’s also the product of frustration with a very slightly modified first past the post electoral system, which has round 1 with all the candidates and then round 2 a week later between the two with the largest share (which is far less than 50%). So basically you have a run off between someone like Macron who at most gets about 30% support and Le Pen. The majority of voters are opposed to Le Pen, but that doesn’t mean they’re huge fans of Macron. So you usually end up with a president who has been elected at the least worst option and has a weak mandate and that goes into endless street protests.

Irish people have access to an extremely open PR democracy that tries to genuinely reflect public opinion, yet you’ve people who will tell you how great the French are for their direct street action, and wonder why Irish people aren’t out in outrage all the time too, without ever pausing to think about the differences.

The angry street protests are occurring due to democratic deficits and representational problems.

If you look at the democracy index, the countries at the top, including Ireland, have generally very boring politics because there structures function and democratic culture works very well.

Well put I never thought of that as the reason why the French are always more vocal. Ireland is definitely a very middle of the road country when it comes to politics.

Regardless of who gets into power if a party was not middle of the road or toned down the 'hard edges' of their policies that only appeal to extremes they would be booted out very sharpish.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Will FF/FG/Green do the unionist thing and have an agreed candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I brief history of Eoghan Murphy

39 years old
    Born in Sandymount
    5 siblings
    Father is Henry Murphy (Senior Counsel on the Mahon tribunal Team, he made over €2m on this tribunal)
    Went to fee paying school St Michael's College
    "Worked" for UN up until 2008
    In 2009 he was elected to Pembroke–Rathmines Council having no prior political experience (At the age 27)
    After just 2 years he was elected to the Dail in 2011 (At the age of 29)
    Made minister for housing in 2017 and had a motion of no confidence tabled against him on that year.
    In 2019 a 2nd motion of no confidence was tabled against him.

By far the most controversial change he made during his time as a housing minister, he gave builder/developers the ability to bypass local councils, this in turn allowed said builders and developers to build what ever they wanted, where ever they wanted without any reasonable planning.
    He also had other hair brained ideas like "Co-living"

He was a poor TD, way out of his depth and suffering from "How could you not possibly love me?" syndrome
    He some how managed to get into politics at 27 despite having no political career prior to that, (He worked on Arms regulation at the UN, a far cry from international relations/politics) No doubt he was pushed along by the wealth of Parents (as are his siblings).

It was clear that politics was "Something for him to do", he's never had to do a tap in his life. (Along with a great many other TD's from South Dublin)
    He's a complete disconnect with an average member of the electorate.

Chris Andrews got in 2nd on the 8th count in 2020, fingers crossed SF will run a strong candidate in the by election and get them down to 83
    This governments performance has been appalling to say the least, I'd say he wanted to leave a few months back, but was asked to stay until covid issue had settled a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The worst minister and I'm including Stephen Donnelly who more projects haplessness than is a simple incompetent like Eoghan Murphy. All the tents and the ever growing ranks despairing homeless men and woman are his legacy. Now moving to some NGO sinecure where he'll get 100k.

Shane Ross would like a word.

It looks like Jonathan Dowdall (Ex SF Local Rep.) won't be getting "the start".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Whatever about Murphy's qualifications for the job and failings. I think Murphy had a thankless task.
    In fact I cannot think of a more difficult job in Irish politics than Housing Minister besides the Minister for Health.

Both poisoned chalices.The 'hurlers in the ditch' can have a great time attacking both posts to detract attention from elsewhere. Or just play the political game.

It will be the same for whichever party ends up in those positions in the future (regardless of party affiliation). Basically they can't win. Monumental tasks that take not years but decades to solve in any meaningful way.

The whole culture of Ireland is base on people having land and owning houses. Unlike that of italy where many rent and they build up not out - for example.

Much more accommodation could be built by going up instead of out. But it is in the Irish psyche to have a garden/land.

It will happen in time but cultures take time to change. It will be out of necessity rather than design though.

So if anyone tries to draw attention to the “poison chalices” they are hurling from the ditch?

Why are they both poison chalices may I ask? Are we to assume both will never be fixed ever?

Will FF/FG/Green do the unionist thing and have an agreed candidate?

I sincerely hope not, post 2020 elections it was clear that FF/FG were more concerned with keeping SF out rather then running a government together.

Well put I never thought of that as the reason why the French are always more vocal. Ireland is definitely a very middle of the road country when it comes to politics.

Regardless of who gets into power if a party was not middle of the road or toned down the 'hard edges' of their policies that only appeal to extremes they would be booted out very sharpish.

Well, the Irish system is designed to find consensus. Where that middle is moved a lot over the years, because power has to be shared.

There are very few places where you can vote for multiple parties, simultaneously, ranking your preferences.

I mean none of us are represented by a single TD. It’s always multiple seats and they do tend to reflect the spread of opinion in constituencies.

Imagine being in England, you could end up being represented exclusively by a Brexiteer Tory based on their being the highest performing candidate getting 38.3% of the poll, as was the case in Kensington for example.

You can see why we are relatively chilled out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭archfi

Awful PR start for Labour (just going by the photo alone) - that's some smug duo.
    But it is Dublin Bay South...

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1386993150917582851/photo/1

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Economics101

Beta Ray Bill: With comments like yours it's a wonder anyone with a sense of decency and humanity goes into politics.

Yous said:
    In 2009 he was elected to Pembroke–Rathmines Council having no prior political experience (At the age 27)
    Apart form the howler of confusing Dublin City Council with the Pembroke-Rathmines ward, why should a 27-year old need prior political experience to get on the lowest rung of the electoral ladder, especially when local authorities have almost no real power? Do you mean that political careers should begin with a teenage exposure to the likes of Connolly Youth or whatever young Sinn Fein is called?

You also said that he "Worked" for the UN up to 2008. What do you mean by this sneering reference?

I could go on, but I am getting tired of this kind of ad hominem nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Abuse of politicians certainly seems to have escalated significantly in recent years.

You couldn't pay me enough to be one.

They pay them too much to be one would ya stop.

I'd happily take their salary, have an intern handle the socials. Grand.

Labour's Kevin Humphreys (a thoroughly decent bloke, by the way) was on Claire Byrne this morning talking about possible by-election candidates. Apparently Labour's likely choice is Ivana Bacik. He pronounced it as "back-itch" :D Puts the old description of giving someone a vote as "giving them a scratch" into a new perspective.

Bacik, Chu and O'Connell: what an ad for women in politics.

Be great to see Bacik run again, love watching her fail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

archfi wrote: »
    Awful PR start for Labour (just going by the photo alone) - that's some smug duo.
    But it is Dublin Bay South...

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1386993150917582851/photo/1

Good to see Labour bringing in a fresh new face.

Theres really no hope for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

In fairness to bacik she has worked for many many years on women’s rights etc. Also is a professor of law.

You can knock her on some issues but there’s no denying She has a lot of experience and expertise.

Dublin Bay South is an unusual constituency. This could have an interesting outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭golfball37

He’ll be neither missed or remembered. Unless it’s for homeless children eating off a pizza box on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

In fairness to bacik she has worked for many many years on women’s rights etc. Also is a professor of law.

You can knock her on some issues but there’s no denying She has a lot of experience and expertise.

Beckett comes to mind.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

sounds like he going back to college first

Beta Ray Bill: With comments like yours it's a wonder anyone with a sense of decency and humanity goes into politics.

He called Co-Living arrangements "Exciting".... doesn't sound very decent or humane to me. I see that as a step backwards in fact.

Look, lets be serious here: this was a job for him to do, cause there was nothing else for him to do. This is normal situation for Millionaires kids, they've never had to work for anything and aren't hungry enough to succeed.
    They end up going into things like quangos, politics, on the board of semi-state bodies, acting, music, etc

We need TD's that most of us can in some way relate to, I fully get he was handed a lemon as the Minister for Housing, but he made things worse rather than better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

D.Q wrote: »
    They pay them too much to be one would ya stop.

I'd happily take their salary, have an intern handle the socials. Grand.

96-98k TD wages are not too high, for a demanding 24/7 job, with endless abuse.

The expenses should be looked at, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I brief history of Eoghan Murphy

39 years old
    Born in Sandymount
    5 siblings
    Father is Henry Murphy (Senior Counsel on the Mahon tribunal Team, he made over €2m on this tribunal)
    Went to fee paying school St Michael's College
    "Worked" for UN up until 2008
    After just 2 years he was elected to the Dail in 2011 (At the age of 29)
    Made minister for housing in 2017 and had a motion of no confidence tabled against him on that year.
    In 2019 a 2nd motion of no confidence was tabled against him.

By far the most controversial change he made during his time as a housing minister, he gave builder/developers the ability to bypass local councils, this in turn allowed said builders and developers to build what ever they wanted, where ever they wanted without any reasonable planning.
    He also had other hair brained ideas like "Co-living"

He was a poor TD, way out of his depth and suffering from "How could you not possibly love me?" syndrome
    He some how managed to get into politics at 27 despite having no political career prior to that, (He worked on Arms regulation at the UN, a far cry from international relations/politics) No doubt he was pushed along by the wealth of Parents (as are his siblings).

It was clear that politics was "Something for him to do", he's never had to do a tap in his life. (Along with a great many other TD's from South Dublin)
    He's a complete disconnect with an average member of the electorate.

Chris Andrews got in 2nd on the 8th count in 2020, fingers crossed SF will run a strong candidate in the by election and get them down to 83
    This governments performance has been appalling to say the least, I'd say he wanted to leave a few months back, but was asked to stay until covid issue had settled a bit.

Bitter post tbh. Most people elected to a council for the first time have no experience in politics, it is the lowest rung of political representation ladder in Ireland after all.

In fairness to bacik she has worked for many many years on women’s rights etc. She has a lot of experience and expertise.

But she's can't get elected. She's tried a number of times in a number of constituencies and failed every time. She's failed every time even with huge party support in her campaigns when the party was doing pretty ok in elections.

Whatever good she does for society she's fairly toxic on the ballot and she should, at this stage in her life, be a bit more self-aware about her appeal to people outside of the Dublin 8 Dinner party set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

He called Co-Living arrangements "Exciting".... doesn't sound very decent or humane to me. I see that as a step backwards in fact.

Look, lets be serious here: this was a job for him to do, cause there was nothing else for him to do. This is normal situation for Millionaires kids, they've never had to work for anything and aren't hungry enough to succeed.

We need TD's that most of us can in some way relate to, I fully get he was handed a lemon as the Minister for Housing, but he made things worse rather than better.

They work well in other countries.

I would have liked to live in one in my 20s instead of a houseshare.

Advertisement