Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Police killing of 15 yo black girl Makiah Bryant MOD NOTE IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

jdon72 wrote: »
    The police's first response shouldn't be to shoot. They could have used pepper spray or a taser instead of shooting a 15 year old girl instantly

How do you get close enough to pepper spray an armed person?

And what happens if the taser doesn't work? In this instance specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

From my view of the video she was literally in the middle of stabbing another girl. The cop saved her life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

She was being attacked. She called the police herself. She tried to protect herself. The police shot at her straight away when they arrived

Don't forget the bit about the knife will you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

The police's first response shouldn't be to shoot. They could have used pepper spray or a taser instead of shooting a 15 year old girl instantly

She had a knife firmly in her grip and was swinging it with intent to maim or kill. Pepper spray would just make it harder for her to see a target, it won't stop her swinging the knife, plus the officer has to approach her, take out the pepper spray and get her face within 2-3 seconds. The other girl's throat could be slashed in milliseconds.

Tazers might stop her running away after killing the other girl but they aren't effective at preventing someone swinging a knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭Be right back

All the girl in pink seemed to be carrying was a small dog. Why did the deceased attack her?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

We need a black people getting shot in America forum...

Lol.

Ok.

I would hazard a guess that you would have a complete 180 degree change in your opinion if you were being chased with a knife.

I do love this quote from the rte news article
    The officer who opened fire was not identified but appears from the video to be white.

Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

MarkR wrote: »
    What we needed was a good black guy with a gun.

Shaft?

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Shaft?

You're damn right

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I've watched the video multiple times and I don't see any knife.

Definitely a racially motivated murder. At 0:12 you can hear the cop saying "I can't wait to shoot one of these black people".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I wouldn't have guessed she was 15 from the admittedly grainy video. She looked like a person that would take a bit of stopping if she was coming at you full tilt. Never mind swinging a big knife. Pink girl, assuming she was unarmed, would have been no physical threat to her

If that was her oul' fella kicking the other girl in the face while she was on the ground, he might have been better off using his time to take the knife off his daughter.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

Definitely a racially motivated murder. At 0:12 you can hear the cop saying "I can't wait to shoot one of these black people".

You can see it clearly at 8 seconds if you pause the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭Be right back

I wouldn't have guessed she was 15 from the admittedly grainy video. She looked like a person that would take a bit of stopping if she was coming at you full tilt. Never mind swinging a big knife. Pink girl, assuming she was unarmed, would have been no physical threat to her

If that was her oul' fella kicking the other girl in the face while she was on the ground, he might have been better off using his time to take the knife off his daughter.

All the girl in pink seemed to be holding was a small dog.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

Well here ya go then:

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

What colour is the cop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Well here ya go then:

image.jpg

From that image , it looks like it's " only " a butter knife .

( Now , where did we hear this before ? Hum , now let me think ..... )

All the girl in pink seemed to be holding was a small dog.

Even if pink girl was also armed (I assume she wasn't), she was no threat to the other girl. The girl who was shot has no excuse for trying to stab pink girl. Not self defence, not fear of her life. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I agree and disagree in equal proportions.

Time and time again, US police officers are far too trigger happy. Situations which could easily be defused without lethal force. Statistics show the number of police shootings significantly exceed that of their close neighbors. In 2019, there were 1099 police killings in the US compared to 33 in Canada.

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/how-police-compare-different-democracies

There has to be other options.

"The UN Code of Conduct for Law Enforcement Officials states that officers should only use force as a last resort. U.S. police can legally use deadly force if they reasonably believe they or other people are in danger, but some critics have questioned whether officers can make this judgment call."

That said, I have no idea how I'd react in such a situation. Nor do you. Plus the officer was trying to stop someone from potentially killing/seriously injuring another person. Hence I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Well here ya go then:

image.jpg

Looks like more of a defensive stance to me. With the girl in the pink the aggressor, 47 million please

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Judging by the video the guy in grey top and blue jeans kicked out at the other girl that was involved, another girl who I assume was in cahoots with the girl in pink.
    Guy in grey top, and girl with knife were the ones getting attacked as the story goes, and thought once police arrived they'd back them up and get those two girls arrested, would she have used the knife, probably not, all a show of force, but pretty stupid to be expecting police to take her side and back her up when she's waving a knife around and acting like she's willing to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Whole thing is a total car crash . You often see it in car crashes where the ones who cause it walk away without a scratch on their car or self, while they cause a 3 car pile up.

Looks like more of a defensive stance to me. With the girl in the pink the aggressor, 47 million please

The only aggressor here was the racist police officer not minding his own business. He had no right to shoot the black girl - and only did so cos she was black. End of story. BLM. Defund the police.

No justice. No peace. No racist police.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Genuinely amazes me that there are people out protesting about this after seeing the video. Sad situation but necessary.

The reason they are is because the narrative the media and democrats will take on it, they are emboldened.

Each day that goes by they give them more inches...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And a fully trained cop cannot take a knife off someone? Off a child? They are trained to disarm. Trigger happy. And someone said FOUR SHOTS?

The only aggressor here was the racist police officer not minding his own business. He had no right to shoot the black girl - and only did so cos she was black. End of story. BLM. Defund the police.

No justice. No peace. No racist police.

He shot a person trying to attack another person with a knife. Both people involved were black. The officer shot a black person and in turn saved the life of another black person.

From what I see, there is no racial motivation to this shooting.

This is a ridiculous statement, clearly you are hell bent on promoting this as a racially motivated incident versus removing the emotion from the situation and looking at the incident objectively.

Graces7 wrote: »
    And a fully trained cop cannot take a knife off someone? Off a child? They are trained to disarm. Trigger happy. And someone said FOUR SHOTS?

For what people apparently expect of cops in terms of physical/combat abilities I doubt many at that level would stay as cops when they could be fighting in the UFC.

A fully trained cop could have karate-chopped them all into submission in less than a second, if he wanted to. He's just a racist so decided to shoot instead when he saw she was black.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No, because no one is trained to take a knife off someone, this isn't a Hollywood movie you know.

Did you actually watch the video? It was chaos, people everywhere, people kicking others in the head, and then someone appears with a knife attempting to stab another person.

The officer in question had seconds to react. Disarming at that point was clearly not an option, the attackers arm was already in motion with knife in hand.

He's a police officer not a sorcerer, he can't just magic the knife out of her hand.

• Advertisement

A fully trained cop could have karate-chopped them all into submission in less than a second, if he wanted to. He's just a racist so decided to shoot instead when he saw she was black.

jordan-peterson.jpg?width=1200

Advertisement