Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Police killing of 15 yo black girl Makiah Bryant MOD NOTE IN OP

13468926

Comments

  • Posts: 17,381 [Deleted User]


    We're through the looking glass with a lot of people who were walking the knife-edge of sense the last while. Once the footage was released and all I assumed it would die down but we're seeing true colours now. Even in a case like this they have their script and are sticking to it.

    I read the opening post, watched the video, and wondered what will Overheal think of this.. Click page 10 and there he is arguing that it's an "execution" for fúck knows what reason.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp


    EddieN75 wrote: »
    This police officer will face trial. Political pressure will see that it happens. The Biden administration will not allow racial tensions to flare up again literally on the same day that George Floyd saw justice.

    Nah, I doubt it. I'd be very surprised if this one goes to trial.


  • Posts: 25,611 ✭✭✭✭[Deleted User]


    Click page 10 and there he is arguing that it's an "execution" for fúck knows what reason.



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75


    Overheal wrote: »
    If you would look up the definition of an execution.

    A law enforcement officer killing someone in the midst of a crime which is justified by law and community. “Use the knife get the bullets” etc. - condemnation of the suspect. What else would we call that but an execution?



    the putting into effect of a legal instrument or order.”


    the carrying out of a sentence of death on a condemned person.”

    “ Capital punishment, also known as the death penalty, is the state-sanctioned killing of a person as punishment for a crime. ”

    “ putting to death especially as a legal penalty.”

    Clearly it is either an execution or it is not legal?

    You're deliberately missing the point that another person was at the end of the suspect's knife at that exact moment.

    People are executed as a punishment, this was a lawful killing to protect life. It wasn't 'punishment' for swinging a knife around, it was an effort to prevent imminent and criminal loss of life. Sheeeeez.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Did you smash it


    MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    You're deliberately missing the point that another person was at the end of the suspect's knife at that exact moment.

    People are executed as a punishment, this was a lawful killing to protect life. It wasn't 'punishment' for swinging a knife around, it was an effort to prevent imminent and criminal loss of life. Sheeeeez.

    I wouldn’t bother, I really wouldn’t bother.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Did you smash it


    EddieN75 wrote: »
    This police officer will face trial. Political pressure will see that it happens. The Biden administration will not allow racial tensions to flare up again literally on the same day that George Floyd saw justice.

    Nah he won’t. The world isn’t quite that insane yet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75


    I wouldn’t bother, I really wouldn’t bother.

    It's just a bizarre way of looking at things. 'John swerved to avoid a pram that had rolled out into the road but ended up mounting the pavement. Immediately after this, he executed an innocent onlooker with his car.' :confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA


    I have just watched the bodycam footage at 0.25x speed to see exactly what the sequence of events was leading up to the shooting.

    When the police officer exits his vehicle, the lady in the pink tracksuit is quite calm and non-aggressive. The deceased is up the drive squaring up to to another larger black lady.

    As the officer walks towards the group, the deceased rushes the other larger black lady and causes her to fall heavily on the pavement.

    At this point, the officer I think attempts to restrain the deceased, but she immediately rushes towards the lady in pink, who was at this point entirely non-confrontational and posed the deceased no threat.

    The actions of the deceased were the actions of an aggressor and not a defender.

    It is also clear that the offensive weapon wielded by the deceased was a steak-knife or similar. It has a pronounced point and serrated blade, and would have been entirely capable of causing death.

    The police officer saved the woman in pink from death or serious injury.


  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭bewareofthedog


    I feel sorry for that dog, that's about it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 35,515 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde


    Resisting arrest is the no.1 cause of death during police interactions. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes




    Funny how pretty much the rest of the worlds police can arrest people without pumping them full of bullets.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp


    Funny how pretty much the rest of the world can arrest people without killing them.

    Have you watched the video of the incident?

    Go watch it and tell me how the cop could have arrested the girl with the knife and also save the girl in pink from getting stabbed? Go on, I'll wait.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association


    Ogra SF members who put She/her on their Twitter bios are calling the police racist and #sayhername


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭XsApollo


    Well done to the officer.
    On a different note , it’s the United States as ****ed up as the place is, every dog and it’s owner knows if a cop tells you to stop or get down you get down. They don’t f*ck about over there due to the prevalence of guns there.
    Pull a weapon in front of a cop and you are going down.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75


    PunkIPA wrote: »
    I have just watched the bodycam footage at 0.25x speed to see exactly what the sequence of events was leading up to the shooting.

    When the police officer exits his vehicle, the lady in the pink tracksuit is quite calm and non-aggressive. The deceased is up the drive squaring up to to another larger black lady.

    As the officer walks towards the group, the deceased rushes the other larger black lady and causes her to fall heavily on the pavement.

    At this point, the officer I think attempts to restrain the deceased, but she immediately rushes towards the lady in pink, who was at this point entirely non-confrontational and posed the deceased no threat.

    The actions of the deceased were the actions of an aggressor and not a defender.

    It is also clear that the offensive weapon wielded by the deceased was a steak-knife or similar. It has a pronounced point and serrated blade, and would have been entirely capable of causing death.

    The police officer saved the woman in pink from death or serious injury.

    Absolutely, you really have to look at it at .25x to get an understanding of what the cop had to deal with in a split second. You can see just before the shots are fired she has lunged with the knife extended towards the neck/head of the woman in pink. The cop was shouting 'get down, get down' and had his gun drawn once the first lady fell over, only someone in a crazed and dangerous state of mind would be unaware of what was happening. He took the only possible decision.


  • Registered Users Posts: 35,515 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde


    BattleCorp wrote: »
    Have you watched the video of the incident?

    Go watch it and tell me how the cop could have arrested the girl with the knife and also save the girl in pink from getting stabbed? Go on, I'll wait.


    What would an Irish Garda have done, run away crying? Or go restrain the girl with the knife?


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp


    What would an Irish Garda have done, run away crying? Or go restrain the girl with the knife?

    Good contribution, well done. Now have another look at the video (or even the pic in the OP) and come back to me please.

    Here's a tip. Look where the cop is standing and then look at where the person with the knife is standing and look where the person in pink is standing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75


    What would an Irish Garda have done, run away crying? Or go restrain the girl with the knife?

    Would probably be knocking on a relative of the woman in pink's door with his hat in his hand.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭Danzy


    was it really though, why not taser?

    Why not the naughty step?


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭Danzy


    What would an Irish Garda have done, run away crying? Or go restrain the girl with the knife?

    Similar happened here recently, a very violent person trying to actively stab a person was shot dead.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor


    Taser can be ineffective.

    It didn't stop this guy

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6h_7dUKZL4 - Dramatic Video Show Chicago Police Fatally Shoot Man Who Stabbed Officer


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7dD6MNZCQ0 - UK police taser man x2 with no effect.




    In my view there was a clear and immediate threat to life, and the officer involved in shooting took the necessary action for the preservation of life.

    Outrageous. Even in that demonstration they selected a black african american guy to be the target of the taser. What the actual ****.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev


    Twitter really needs to be shut down.

    I'd almost go as far to say for the sake of hamanity to a degree


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on


    Never mind racist - this was clearly disproportional... they should have measured the length of her knife and obtained similar before intervening


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor


    Ogra SF members who put She/her on their Twitter bios are calling the police racist and #sayhername

    Perhaps she was a "legitimate target" from the Police's perspective.

    Surely SF/Ogra should understand that it is all about perspective as to what is and is not a legitimate target.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman


    Funny how pretty much the rest of the worlds police can arrest people without pumping them full of bullets.

    The rest of the worlds police dont police a country with more guns than people and an attitude that any dispute can be solved with bullets.

    Even at that, american police whole policing 370 million people only shoot 2000 people a year, the majority of them white and the vast vast majority armed criminals.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor


    Well clearly then, in the interests of equality, they should be shooting equal numbers of all racial persuasions. That is bollox.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer


    eurokev wrote: »
    Twitter really needs to be shut down.

    I'd almost go as far to say for the sake of hamanity to a degree

    I 100% agree. Its a cess pit.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes


    OP This thread is just you race baiting.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭Danzy


    Perhaps she was a "legitimate target" from the Police's perspective.

    Surely SF/Ogra should understand that it is all about perspective as to what is and is not a legitimate target.

    This was a legitimate killing.

    Like Warrenpoint etc.
    That etc covers an awful lot.

    Young SF turning into a clones of Eoghan Harris in the late 80s is off topic.


  • Registered Users Posts: 81,373 ✭✭✭✭Overheal


    Danzy wrote: »
    Why not the naughty step?

    Treat the topic with a bit of sincerity yeah?

    Tazer is held on the off side, gun is on the dominant side. In this situation the cop is going to pull for something and very fast given the nature of the encounter. It’s likely to be the dominant weapon.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭Danzy


    Overheal wrote: »
    Treat the topic with a bit of sincerity yeah?

    Tazer is held on the off side, gun is on the dominant side. In this situation the cop is going to pull for something and very fast given the nature of the encounter. It’s likely to be the dominant weapon.

    Thank God he reached for the gun and didn't make a mistake like on the other thread.

    That pink lady would be dead otherwise.


Advertisement