Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Police killing of 15 yo black girl Makiah Bryant MOD NOTE IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If you lunge with a knife while a cop has a gun pointed at you, you earned those bullets, regardless of colour. Similar to the blanchardstown incident this was just a woman with a knife who really should have put some thought in before lunging

Studies show that not attempting to stab someone in the presence of American police greatly reduces your chances of getting shot.

Resisting arrest is the no.1 cause of death during police interactions. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I see the BBC have the headline
    Columbus police kill black teenage girl

Disgracefully dishonest, a loaded headline that doesn't paint the full story .. and most people don't click and read the full story.
    The BBC know this of course, but that's what they want to achieve here, a narrative of racist cops murdering black people for fun.

An utter disgrace to journalism.

TomSweeney wrote: »

Disgracefully dishonest, a loaded headline that doesn't paint the full story .. and most people don't click and read the full story.
    The BBC know this of course, but that's what they want to achieve here, a narrative of racist cops murdering black people for fun.

Being a cop in the US has to be one of the hardest jobs of all time, everyone is against you, increasingly so the media

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

TomSweeney wrote: »

BBC is a real piece of work now.
    From 11pm last night to after 2.30am when I went to bed they covered nothing else but the Chauvin trial.
    They had every race baiter on under the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you lunge with a knife while a cop has a gun pointed at you, you earned those bullets, regardless of colour. Similar to the blanchardstown incident this was just a woman with a knife who really should have put some thought in before lunging

So you don’t just accept that the execution was an unfortunate outcome you actually applaud the execution.

Overheal wrote: »
    So you don’t just accept that the execution was an unfortunate outcome you actually applaud the execution.

I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

was that OP tongue in cheek? I cant tell

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

While I think American police absolutely have issues with racism and target black people in prejudicial ways, the officer is clearly in the right here. She had a knife and was trying to stab someone. He was left with very little alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It wasn't an execution. It was a cop saving the life of the girl in pink. But you know that of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

On what basis was it an execution?

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/execution

a putting to death as in accordance with a legally imposed sentence

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

silverharp wrote: »
    was that OP tongue in cheek? I cant tell

It was but it's amazing to see plenty of people actually have that attitude.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It wasn't an execution. It was a cop saving the life of the girl in pink. But you know that of course.

If you would look up the definition of an execution.

A law enforcement officer killing someone in the midst of a crime which is justified by law and community. “Use the knife get the bullets” etc. - condemnation of the suspect. What else would we call that but an execution?

the putting into effect of a legal instrument or order.”

the carrying out of a sentence of death on a condemned person.”

“ Capital punishment, also known as the death penalty, is the state-sanctioned killing of a person as punishment for a crime. ”

“ putting to death especially as a legal penalty.”

Clearly it is either an execution or it is not legal?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You are misreading the judgment. It affirms the concept that the police owe no duty to protect any particular individual, not that the police have no duty to do their job. Their duty is a public duty owed to the public at large.

Basically it states that police cannot be held liable to you if you are a victim of a crime, unless their specific actions are a causal effect. Which is fair, I doubt there are many places where that would be the case. It is -not- an excuse for police not to do their jobs.

"A duty owed to the public, however, is no less enforceable because it is owed to "everybody""

and

"Dereliction in the performance of police duties may, therefore, be redressed only in the context of a public prosecution and not in a private suit for money damages"

Here SCOTUS clearly states that there is a duty to arrest. It merely is not enforceable by any individual.

If you're going to copy/paste my post from the other thread, you could at least acknowledge it.

A law enforcement officer killing someone in the midst of a crime which is justified by law and community. “Use the knife get the bullets” etc. - condemnation of the suspect. What else would we call that but an execution?

“ Capital punishment, also known as the death penalty, is the state-sanctioned killing of a person as punishment for a crime. ”

Whatever word you want to use, the policeman should be applauded for saving a woman from being stabbed.

If youre going to lunge at somebody with a knife while a cop has a gun pointed at you, you are either incredibly stupid or are a honey badger who just doesnt care, we dont need people like that in the world imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Being a cop in the US has to be one of the hardest jobs of all time, everyone is against you, increasingly so the media

Police make around 10m arrests each year in the US.

In the last 5 years, the police have fatally shot on average 1,000 civilians annually, the vast majority of whom were armed or otherwise dangerous.

Police shot 14 unarmed Black victims and 25 unarmed white victims in 2019.
    There are about 7,300 Black homicide victims a year.

The 14 unarmed victims in fatal police shootings comprises only 0.2% of that total which is a tiny percentage.

Why aren’t the media up in arms about the majority of these 7300 murders, which are largely black on black crime related ?

Why aren’t they on about the 25 shootings in Chicago last weekend resulting in 5 deaths including a 7 year old killed in a drive by shooting ?

It doesn’t suit the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

:confused:

None of those things you have in quotation marks above are what happened in this case.

Whatever word you want to use, the policeman should be applauded for saving a woman from being stabbed.

I applaud their safety. I don’t applaud an execution.

Lol.

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭Penn

An execution is different to a permitted use of lethal force. In this case, the cop shot this girl because she had a weapon and was about to strike another woman. The cop had a duty to try save that woman's life. The shots also may not have killed the girl.

Sorry Overheal, but a cop killing someone in the course of their duty doesn't automatically equal an execution. Use of force, even lethal force, is permitted under certain circumstances. It'll be up to investigators to determine if it was justified and appropriate in this case (a look at the video, to me, it looks justified).

What?

“What” is a non question.

Penn wrote: »
    An execution is different to a permitted use of lethal force. In this case, the cop shot this girl because she had a weapon and was about to strike another woman. The cop had a duty to try save that woman's life. The shots also may not have killed the girl.

Sorry Overheal, but a cop killing someone in the course of their duty doesn't automatically equal an execution. Use of force, even lethal force, is permitted under certain circumstances. It'll be up to investigators to determine if it was justified and appropriate in this case (a look at the video, to me, it looks justified).

Which makes it an execution, clearly.

You know someone truly has no point when they start trying to brand this as an execution.

Lol.

What?
    “What” is a non question.

What are you talking about? That's a question.

You applaud the police for saving a woman from being stabbed by acting immediately to incapacitate a knife welding woman lunging at her the only way they possibly could.

But you don't applaud them for stopping the knife welding lunatic the only way they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Which makes it an execution, clearly.

No because an execution is specific to the person. It's state sanctioned "This person is to be killed for X reason and their execution is to be carried out on XX by XXX etc". That's not what happened in this case. The use of lethal force is permitted in the carrying out of the officer's duty, but is dependent on the situation and risk of life to officers, citizens etc. Again, it's up to the investigators to now determine if the officer was correct in the use of lethal force.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

BBC is a real piece of work now.
    From 11pm last night to after 2.30am when I went to bed they covered nothing else but the Chauvin trial.
    They had every race baiter on under the sun.

Remember this is the BBC that were saying Luther is not black enough cos he doesn't like rap music and eat fried chicken*

*was actually not enough black friends and eat carribean food, but the point stands, ironically using lazy stereotyping which is what they are supposed to be against ?

You know someone truly has no point when they start trying to brand this as an execution.

We're through the looking glass with a lot of people who were walking the knife-edge of sense the last while. Once the footage was released and all I assumed it would die down but we're seeing true colours now. Even in a case like this they have their script and are sticking to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

This police officer will face trial. Political pressure will see that it happens. The Biden administration will not allow racial tensions to flare up again literally on the same day that George Floyd saw justice.

Advertisement