Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Police killing of 15 yo black girl Makiah Bryant MOD NOTE IN OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

eurokev wrote: »
    Twitter really needs to be shut down.

I'd almost go as far to say for the sake of hamanity to a degree

Unfortunately it wouldn't stop a thing. Not because some other site would just take its place but this is human nature. It's people behind horrid tweets.

A lot of jerks on this planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭HotMama89

https://youtu.be/XI1xWqWZxyk

If you look at around 58seconds on this (slow motion) you see the guy who kicked the girl pass the knife to Makiah as she runs at the girl in pink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

conorhal wrote: »
    The media has literally become the enemy of the people. They are devoid of any journalistic or editorial standards and deliberately stoke racial tension by perpetrating narratives devoid of fact, all for their own political agendas. It’s no wonder that public trust in the media is at an all time low.
    +1
    Breaking News headline; "Police shoot black teenage girl in Ohio as Floyd verdict announced".

Talk about race baiting for clicks,as if the police decided to shoot a young black girl for spite because they did not like the Floyd verdict.

The girl was shot before the verdict was returned and a policeman saved a young black girls life in a split second decision that he had to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The only thing this highlights is how bad the obesity crisis is in America.

How is she only 15? Tadhg Furlong would have trouble tackling her.

di11on wrote: »
    Never mind racist - this was clearly disproportional... they should have measured the length of her knife and obtained similar before intervening

I feel like this comment is a lot funnier than it will get credit for.:D

• Advertisement

Obviously the US police need to be de-militarised. However if this guy had done nothing he would have been accused of racism for doing nothing.

That said we could do, as I said before, with one thread on these shootings.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Totally justified. If that was my sister being attacked or if she was the attacker. I would say justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

:(:mad::(:mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,336 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Obviously the US police need to be de-militarised. However if this guy had done nothing he would have been accused of racism for doing nothing.

From watching that video that police officer was likely to have someone angry at him. People are angry at him for trying to protect the girl in pink from being stabbed with a knife, but if he’d held back then the family of the girl in pink would be pissed and asking why he didn’t intervene to protect their daughter. There is clearly an issue in America with police and minorities but killings but I don’t think using a one size fits all narrative is helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The story really should have been 'hero cop prevents black girl being stabbed to death'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Every US citizen needs to demilitarised. Guns are a source of a huge amount of Americas problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Ardent

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I see the BBC have the headline

Disgracefully dishonest, a loaded headline that doesn't paint the full story .. and most people don't click and read the full story.
    The BBC know this of course, but that's what they want to achieve here, a narrative of racist cops murdering black people for fun.

An utter disgrace to journalism.

I thought the exact same when I saw the headline. Why mention skin colour - the implication being that this was a racially motivated shooting.

Maybe I'm getting old but it seems impartiality and common sense is really lacking lately. Everyone is pushing an agenda or an ideology and even BBC News is not immune from this disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This looks like a justified shooting.

I for one don't think that this case or the other incidents of justified police force excuse instances where force is excessive and applied too quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

It's actually relieving to see the responses here. Sometimes you'd feel like you're in a minority of one for not concluding that everything is racist. Even the Floyd murder, the cop was rightfully convicted, but you can't attribute racism as the motivation there unless you know what was going on inside the cop's head.

The Washington Post has a database on police shootings. If you just compare the numbers of police shootings then blacks are shot by police disproportionately. But if you look at shootings per interaction with police, which I would argue is much more relevant, then it's not disproportionate at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

"The Derek Chauvin verdict won’t stop cops murdering black people. We still aren’t safe"

Headline in The Guardian.

When that dramatic bs is allowed by an editor in a paper with a large readership, something has deeply gone wrong.

Driving division pays handsomely for many activists.

It's not affecting the Progressives in their leafy Suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Racist bastard saving a black girls life like that

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Very nice shot by the cop infairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

She says they don't need police at knife fights.

Well, stop calling the police then. Ring the ambulance instead.

https://twitter. com/BreeNewsome/status/1384725341550305281?s=20

image.jpg

She was in a foster home but her aunt was out rallying the troops straightaway.
    I've seen it in my own family more than once. Kid out of control. Parents aren't in the picture or give up. Aunts and cousins won't let them stay with them. As soon as the **** hits the fan it's a tragedy, who could have seen it coming all the cliches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

Danzy wrote: »
    "The Derek Chauvin verdict won’t stop cops murdering black people. We still aren’t safe"

Headline in The Guardian.

When that dramatic bs is allowed by an editor in a paper with a large readership, something has deeply gone wrong.

Driving division pays handsomely for many activists.

It's not affecting the Progressives in their leafy Suburbs.

This extract is also from the Guardian. Note that it does not mention what happens just before she was shot.

Also, anyone know why they use a capital letter for the word black and not for white?

Account with almost 50 million followers.
    I'd be looking over my shoulder if I was that policeman.

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/1384951673530068994?s=20

bb322af2-f988-44f1-9204-9e412ceeec61-1140x641.png

biko wrote: »

Shame on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Jesus Christ.

I assume LeBron thought the girl with the knife's life mattered more than the girl without a knife.

And that the policeman should have stood by and let her stab the girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,025 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why? Can I tell his home address from that. Looking over his shoulder for what? Accountability? Accountability.

Overheal wrote: »
    Why? Can I tell his home address from that. Looking over his shoulder for what? Accountability? Accountability.

Jesus! Are you saying it's ok to tweet that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

She says they don't need police at knife fights.

Well, stop calling the police then. Ring the ambulance instead.

https://twitter. com/BreeNewsome/status/1384725341550305281?s=20

image.jpg

I can't understand this logic at all.
    The police force of any nation are there to uphold law and order.

But she wants kids to be allowed to stab each other to death and the cops to let them at it.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Why? Can I tell his home address from that. Looking over his shoulder for what?
    Being harmed obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Someone in his tens of millions of followers might take this as a call to action. The rough location of this police officer is known already . If something was to happen to the officer then James could be held partially responsible.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility. Very irresponsible

Advertisement