Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Police killing of 15 yo black girl Makiah Bryant MOD NOTE IN OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Had to watch the video a few times to figure out what was going on, all very frantic. On the face of it, it seems like a justified shooting and a correct decision under immense pressure by the policeman.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is what happened. I hope you see how fast this went down.
    Trigger warning, a person is shot.

https://twitter.com/SteveJaay/status/1384793609464057856?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Any chance Irish people can leave Americans to deal with their own matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

conorhal wrote: »
    The media has literally become the enemy of the people. They are devoid of any journalistic or editorial standards and deliberately stoke racial tension by perpetrating narratives devoid of fact, all for their own political agendas. It’s no wonder that public trust in the media is at an all time low.

The situation is beyond ridiculous now. I was watching Sky sports last night and all of a sudden a massive breaking news announcement about the Floyd case. Who gives a sh1t, i'm watching sports to get away from that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh we are, doesn't mean we can't discuss them. Although discuss is a strong word, we all know how these threads end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

biko wrote: »
    This is what happened. I hope you see how fast this went down.
    Trigger warning, a person is shot.

https://twitter.com/SteveJaay/status/1384793609464057856?s=20

Police officer deserves a medal. That's their job, to protect and serve the innocent against societies scum.

Mission accomplished

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Are Oh we are, doesn't mean we can't discuss them. Although discuss is a strong word, we all know how these threads end.

Isn't that the weird thing, Irish people getting heated and crazy about these matters. You can't have a discussion about before it turns into some argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Appears to me to be unfortunate but necessary. The police officer had to make a difficult decision very fast. The timing of this thing is bloody awful, though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

So I get he shot her, but she was standing right in front of another girl, he banged of 4 shots very quickly, could have easily hit the other girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Isn't that the weird thing, Irish people getting heated and crazy about these matters. You can't have a discussion about before it turns into some argument.

Pretty much every thread on Boards turns into an argument, nothing new here.

Its a discussion board, people discuss things, if you don't like the topic or don't want to read it then there's a simple solution - don't read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

stoneill wrote: »
    So I get he shot her, but she was standing right in front of another girl, he banged of 4 shots very quickly, could have easily hit the other girl.

She was a large target and he was quite close with training.
    If he didn't shoot the other girl could of died from stab wounds.
    Quick decision making and while he could of shot the other girl possibly killing her or injuring if he didn't shoot she was definitely getting stabbed.
    Fair play to him for saving a life

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

He was a good shot,I'll give him that.

stoneill wrote: »

But he didn't. The other girl would likely have been stabbed to death if he arrived a few minutes later or didn't do anything when he did arrive. Deserves a medal*.

*or locked up for being an obvious racist according to BLM - who overlook the fact that he saved a black girl from being stabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Genuinely amazes me that there are people out protesting about this after seeing the video. Sad situation but necessary.

It's difficult to see a knife, if the poster didn't mention it I wouldn't have known.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Police officer deserves a medal. That's their job, to protect and serve the innocent against societies scum.

Mission accomplished

You will be surprised.
    In the US their supreme court has made it clear that law enforcement agencies are not required to provide protection to the citizens.

Officers Had No Duty to Protect Students in Parkland Massacre, Judge Rules
    But police officers, in fact, generally are not under any legal obligation to protect citizens who are not in their custody.

“Neither the Constitution, nor state law, impose a general duty upon police officers or other governmental officials to protect individual persons from harm — even when they know the harm will occur,” said Darren L. Hutchinson, a professor and associate dean at the University of Florida School of Law. “Police can watch someone attack you, refuse to intervene and not violate the Constitution.”

The Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the government has only a duty to protect persons who are “in custody,” he pointed out.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

You will be surprised.In the US their supreme court has made it clear that law enforcement agencies are not required to provide protection to the citizens.

You are misreading the judgment. It affirms the concept that the police owe no duty to protect any particular individual, not that the police have no duty to do their job. Their duty is a public duty owed to the public at large.

Basically it states that police cannot be held liable to you if you are a victim of a crime, unless their specific actions are a causal effect. Which is fair, I doubt there are many places where that would be the case. It is -not- an excuse for police not to do their jobs.

"A duty owed to the public, however, is no less enforceable because it is owed to "everybody""

and

"Dereliction in the performance of police duties may, therefore, be redressed only in the context of a public prosecution and not in a private suit for money damages"

Here SCOTUS clearly states that there is a duty to arrest. It merely is not enforceable by any individual.

You will be surprised.In the US their supreme court has made it clear that law enforcement agencies are not required to provide protection to the citizens.

You are misreading the judgment. It affirms the concept that the police owe no duty to protect any particular individual, not that the police have no duty to do their job. Their duty is a public duty owed to the public at large.

Basically it states that police cannot be held liable to you if you are a victim of a crime, unless their specific actions are a causal effect. Which is fair, I doubt there are many places where that would be the case. It is -not- an excuse for police not to do their jobs.

"A duty owed to the public, however, is no less enforceable because it is owed to "everybody""

and

"Dereliction in the performance of police duties may, therefore, be redressed only in the context of a public prosecution and not in a private suit for money damages"

Here SCOTUS clearly states that there is a duty to arrest. It merely is not enforceable by any individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'm personally fed up with it. You'd think that we were an American state the way our media and some of our people behave. We've plenty of our own issues to deal with, which are often overlooked, due to an obsession with American politics.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Whats your agenda here 111?
    IMO he did well not to kill pinky as well.
    Hope the car was okay:pac:

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

cloudatlas wrote: »
    It's difficult to see a knife, if the poster didn't mention it I wouldn't have known.

It really isn't at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

keano_afc wrote: »
    Racist cops. They should have let her go on stabbing people. How dare they do their job.

She was being attacked. She called the police herself. She tried to protect herself. The police shot at her straight away when they arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

I would have less problem with this shooting than the Adam Toledo shooting that I thought was just murder.

The 15-year-old is attacking someone with a knife and action had to be taking.
    What this video show is just how poorly the police officer is trained.

His 1st weapon should have been his taser, not the firearm.

But that said, the officer used his weapon to stop a murder and while I think better training is required.
    I wouldn't think that the officer committed a criminal act in this case.

That said another dead kid in the US caused by the police and another family grieving for a child.

On a related topic:

The shooting of another Black child in Knoxville and the police won't release the footage.

Original reported it as a school shooting but later turned out that the Police Officer shoot himself.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/protesters-seeking-release-school-shooting-video-arrested-77190235

Looks very bad when they claim a school shoot and it turns out the Police officer shot himself and then a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I would have less problem with this shooting than the Adam Toledo shooting that I thought was just murder.

The 15-year-old is attacking someone with a knife and action had to be taking.
    What this video show is just how poorly the police officer is trained.

His 1st weapon should have been his taser, not the firearm.

But that said, the officer used his weapon to stop a murder and while I think better training is required.
    I wouldn't think that the officer committed a criminal act in this case.

That said another dead kid in the US caused by the police and another family grieving for a child.

On a related topic:

The shooting of another Black child in Knoxville and the police won't release the footage.

Original reported it as a school shooting but later turned out that the Police Officer shoot himself.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/protesters-seeking-release-school-shooting-video-arrested-77190235

Looks very bad when they claim a school shoot and it turns out the Police officer shot himself and then a kid.

And if the cop used a taser to try to prevent an attempted murder that was happening in front of him, and the taser failed?
    Tasers don't always work. The cop correctly applied the appropriate tool and force required to resolve that particular situation.
    Unfortunately it resulted in death, but under those circumstances, he was left with no other option that secured the safety of the girl in pink and any other potential victims present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

jdon72 wrote: »
    She was being attacked. She called the police herself. She tried to protect herself. The police shot at her straight away when they arrived

How do you know she did, because her aunt said it? The same aunt that said she had no knife

Also what happened before the police arrival is irrelevant tbf. She was about to kill someone imminently. Of course she was going to be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

and it turns out the Police officer shot himself and then a kid.

Any evidence to support this slightly zany version of events?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

How do you know she did, because her aunt said it? The same aunt that said she had no knife

Also what happened before the police arrival is irrelevant tbf. She was about to kill someone imminently. Of course she was going to be shot.

The police's first response shouldn't be to shoot. They could have used pepper spray or a taser instead of shooting a 15 year old girl instantly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If you're acting crazy with a knife in the USA then you're likely to get blasted by the cops. Lots sign up to use their firearms and and just cause they're going in blasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The police's first response shouldn't be to shoot. They could have used pepper spray or a taser instead of shooting a 15 year old girl instantly

This is real life. Not a fantasy or a movie.

You need to be within 4m of someone to use pepper spray. Wind dissipates it, and it affects people differently. Finally, by getting closer, he would then be at risk from her.

This girl was literally mid swing with a knife. Immediate resolution was required. Tasers are also not guaranteed to work, so the police officer was left with no choice other than his firearm to save the other girl's life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Right. Lets try a bit of logic here.

Looking at the video, the girl with the stabby thing was running away from the cop and towards her intended victim. How was the cop supposed to pepper spray her when she was running away from him and with her face facing away from the cop?

The girl had to be stopped...........to use your word.........instantly....as she was in the process of trying to stab another girl. The cop had to react......instantly.

By the way, there are loads of videos online of cops using tasers on people with little effect. Here's one from Scotland. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-53222031

Advertisement