Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Just back from a nice spin from Cork-youghal and back (with everything in between while the kids slept in the back). 153km, 18.5kWh/100km. Low average speed of 53km/hr but that's what traffic and driving through villages gets you. A few 120kmph sprints too.

At 120kmph it was tipping around 25kWh/100km. Mostly dry 10°C weather. Pretty happy with that, more or less what I'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Kramer wrote: »
    Draw a line from Galway to Dublin though & south of that is pretty dire, with nothing much to look forward to in the future.

Look north of that line and it's pretty dire too

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

IIRC, there isn't a single location with more that one eCars DC unit, in the whole of the southwest - Clare/Limerick/Tipperary/Kerry/Cork/Waterford.

They are really, really big counties :eek:.

There isn't a single 150kW DC charger from eCars here either.
    I'm not aware of any plans for one of these "hubs" nearby anytime soon, either.

Save for Cashel (Ionity) & Tesla (Birdhill), it is actually devoid of any proper infrastructure - the odd 50kW DC unit here & there.

Athlone, great. N7/M7 - looking good. M1 - pretty good.

Draw a line from Galway to Dublin though & south of that is pretty dire, with nothing much to look forward to in the future.

I do admire your unflappable eCars optimism though - they really are the only show in town going forward & all our collective eggs are in their (taxpayer funded) basket :pac:.

Yeah, the Munster area has pretty shocking DC coverage. Cork-Limerick has no units at all. West Cork only has as far a clonality then you're in AC territory. Kerry only has Kenmare and Killarney.

Ecars said Cork City is in line for a hub (I think they said this year, but the goalposts move so often UT could be wrong), so I'd suspect that's at Frankfield Hill given its popularity. Fingers crossed.

Look north of that line and it's pretty dire too

Ha, yeah! Dublin to Galway you're sorted. Dublin to Limerick you're sorted. Dublin to Cashel you're sorted (thanks ionity), but keep going to Cork/Kerry and you're pretty much on your own.

Other routes... Handy to have the extra range.

I went with the 1st 77kWh for a few reasons, mostly for the value the 1st gives. Secondly for the range which covers 99% of our drives, and beyond that I'll be happy to pull over for a 20 minute break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Anyone put a Dashcam in yet? How difficult was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Get the dealer to do it. It's €399 for the camera and installation. That seems reasonable to me.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Get the dealer to do it. It's €399 for the camera and installation. That seems reasonable to me.

Front and rear?

How is that reasonable? Get a dash cam for €30, SD card for €10. Wiring it to a fuse might be some bother, but worth a diy for €350

Front and rear?

Just front. Not sure how much it is to add the rear.

How is that reasonable? Get a dash cam for €30, SD card for €10. Wiring it to a fuse might be some bother, but worth a diy for €350

Most people wouldn't be bothered pulling back trim to run a cable and that's before you get to wiring it. €350 to save you hassle and possibly making a mess of it is decent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I do admire your unflappable eCars optimism though - they really are the only show in town going forward & all our collective eggs are in their (taxpayer funded) basket :pac:.

It's not unfounded optimism, it's a belief that if an organisation announces a three year period of investment, they should be judged on their delivery at the end of year 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

Yeah, the Munster area has pretty shocking DC coverage. Cork-Limerick has no units at all. West Cork only has as far a clonality then you're in AC territory. Kerry only has Kenmare and Killarney.
    Didn't Tralee get upgraded to 50kW DC?

is it really realistic to expect to have 150kW stations in places like CrookHaven though? - the reason these are popular tourist spots is because they are wild and there is not enough traffic to justify the charger.

Might be some sense to something somewhere between Bandon and Kenmare on the N71 though, if only to serve tourism (Skibbereen?).

Looking at Zap-Map, Dungarvan would also seem like an obvious gap that needs filling, but apart from that there is really very good coverage at at least 50kW(43) across the whole country, with pretty much all main roads covered with 50kW chargers at regular intervals.

Would I prefer 150kW - of course I would, but honestly I obsessed about chargers 3-4 years ago when they were much fewer and often blocked because they were free to use. since they introduced charging and started upgrading the network, and as the cars got longer range, it's no longer really an issue in my current experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭eagerv

Got a thinkware dual camera system in my ID.3 as here...#5890

Works great though the rear camera is only 720p. Wired in by to fuse box by electrical engineer guy in Waterford, recommended by VW. Very neat job took about 2 hours. Have set it up by app so that it records for a period if the car gets a knock even when locked up. I have turned off the motion detection recording, too many files. I don't need every time someone or a dog walks by..:). Uses very little power, though I have set it so will not operate if 12V battery below I think 12.4V.

eagerv wrote: »

Works great though the rear camera is only 720p. Wired in by to fuse box by electrical engineer guy in Waterford, recommended by VW. Very neat job took about 2 hours. Have set it up by app so that it records for a period if the car gets a knock even when locked up. I have turned off the motion detection recording, too many files. I don't need every time someone or a dog walks by..:). Uses very little power, though I have set it so will not operate if 12V battery below I think 12.4V.

How much it cost all in?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

eagerv wrote: »

Has the rear one ever come loose?

My installer is hesitant with the rear one because he's seen many of them come loose because they are attached to the boot lid.

catharsis wrote: »

Didn't Tralee get upgraded to 50kW DC?

is it really realistic to expect to have 150kW stations in places like CrookHaven though? - the reason these are popular tourist spots is because they are wild and there is not enough traffic to justify the charger.

Might be some sense to something somewhere between Bandon and Kenmare on the N71 though, if only to serve tourism (Skibbereen?).

Looking at Zap-Map, Dungarvan would also seem like an obvious gap that needs filling, but apart from that there is really very good coverage at at least 50kW(43) across the whole country, with pretty much all main roads covered with 50kW chargers at regular intervals.

Would I prefer 150kW - of course I would, but honestly I obsessed about chargers 3-4 years ago when they were much fewer and often blocked because they were free to use. since they introduced charging and started upgrading the network, and as the cars got longer range, it's no longer really an issue in my current experience

Tralee did get a DC unit, at the expense of their existing AC unit. It's in a carpark, a bit awkward to get to from the main road. Was find for AC, but it's ECars trying to show progress by installing DC wherever it can. Funny enough, it's broken at the moment. :rolleyes:

Crookhaven would be a nice spot for an AC unit, or even a 50kW DC unit alongside it. Certainly there are more justifiable places to put a 150kW unit that Crookhaven, but my point is there's no DC at all there. Wild atlantic way seems like a decent place to put DC units, but as yet Ballina,Westport and Clifden have only recently gotten their AC units upgrade to DC, and Ecars have said there's no plans to install any more AC units, and only plans at the moment are for hubs (adding to existing units basically) and 50 AC units to be converted to DC. I make about 22 of those have been completed so far. So nothing doing for the WAW or RoK.

I've long said Dungarvan is prime for a DC unit. There's at least 2 perfectly placed garages on the N25 for DC charging. Surprised EasyGo haven't been called in to install one. ECars did upgrade 1 of the AC units to DC, but similar to Tralee, it's in a really awkward to access car park, which shockingly narrow parking spaces. I'd be down there regular enough, and honestly i'd say you couldn't rely on it be accessible.

gear_ie wrote: »
    Has the rear one ever come loose?

My installer is hesitant with the rear one because he's seen many of them come loose because they are attached to the boot lid.

No, no problem so far. I even moved the rear camera up a little using the same sticky pad. There are spare pads in the kit. Rear camera is very light and almost stays in place with the wire.

I would say installers don't like the rear cameras purely because of the extra work involved..

How much it cost all in?

I think his price is €300 all in. We got 3 done, so got a fair discount on that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

I was on the motorway on Saturday at around 120km/h and the car started showing a warning message something like "winter tyres, speed in excess of 110km/h".

Stopped after a few minutes, but haven't seen it before. Why does the car think it has winter tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Did VW sack the guys who wrote the code for the emissions scandal?

If they did, maybe they should contact them and ask them back to fix another problem or two. :):):)

• Advertisement

VW USA Knowing your ID.4 videos, might be helpful for some people like Sandy Munro =;-)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8OSEy0q-LfdAWC6biT4PPD0Nzpgt8fcw

In-Car Charge Scheduling | Knowing Your VW
    "In cold weather, heating the cabin in advance also warms the battery to help provide greater range"

I thought the battery only heated up when the car is being driven and not while it was charging?

I thought Sandy Munro's latest video of his attempt to get the infotainment going a complete and utter sham and shame on him.

yep......some boots as well....

I had a look at the Id.4 today inside and out, very big car, wasn't expecting it to be so large, I think it's even wider than the Outlander, certainly more comfortable to sit in, the seats in the Outlander are not so good by comparison, the boot in the Outlander is a good bit bigger and it's a longer car but the Id.4 seems wider ?

Was impressed inside and Puzzled as to why the id.3 can't be better ?

Still, I want to see one that isn't the bog basic spec to see what it's like.

I had a quick play with the infotainment, it seems intuitive enough, it was smooth and responsive, for a quick play I didn't notice any lag but on the move I don't think it's the best idea, too distracting I think.

Plenty of room in the back too.

Proper test drive tomorrow, I desperately want to test travel assist but the 1st doesn't have it FFS, you have to spend 54K to get travel assist, I can do without other stuff but going forward I want/need this driving aid for the endless motorway commutes. I'm driving 140-180 and sometimes over 200 Kms in any day so I want more creature comforts.

Question is, how slow really is 200 Hp in a 2 Tonne car ? I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

54K vs 39 odd for E-Niro which includes their version of travel assist but the id.4 charges faster.

Then there's the id.3 Max, 44K for the Max and has all the kit, how much lower range would the id.3 have over the 77 Kwh id.4 ?

One thing I noticed, why is everything Grey or white these days, what happened Colour ? I'm sick of grey and silver lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Plasmoid

I thought Sandy Munro's latest video of his attempt to get the infotainment going a complete and utter sham and shame on him.

It wasn't great was it?
    It's pretty on brand for Sandy. He's always very scathing in criticizing things he doesn't understand.

I think running a Youtube channel by sticking a camera on Sandy and having him narrate unscripted shows it's rough edges when it comes what they edit, what they do and don't post up.

VWs infotainment shows a lot of signs of bad management internally though - it deserves a bit of a kicking.

Plasmoid wrote: »
    It wasn't great was it?
    It's pretty on brand for Sandy. He's always very scathing in criticizing things he doesn't understand.

I think running a Youtube channel by sticking a camera on Sandy and having him narrate unscripted shows it's rough edges when it comes what they edit, what they do and don't post up.

VWs infotainment shows a lot of signs of bad management internally though - it deserves a bit of a kicking.

Indeed, the software has to improve but not even I ever suggested it was anywhere near as bad as Sandy had made out to be, he pressed everything and anything except that icon that would have brought him to the main menu for his sat nav, very disingenuous.

Noticed that that rubbing your thumb left to right in the right side "buttons" on the steering wheel increases volume, right to left decreases volume. Bottom to top goes up a station, top to bottom goes down a station/song. Handy, saves looking at the wheel.

Similar for the cruise control, but it jumps in 10s, rather than single KMPH like I'd like.

Speaking of ACC, Christ it's frustrating at times when it decides the speed limit is the overpass speed limit. Random "oh it's 60kmph" on a dual carriageway is quite annoying. Though I found it very good at slowing for upcoming speed limit reductions and reducing speed for tighter corners. Clever ACC also wouldn't undertake cars. It spots the car in the right hand lane and reduces my speed so I don't undertake them.

Auto heated seats and auto heated steering wheel when cold were lovely too. Even auto seat heaters heated the passenger seat when it was occupied at start up.

I did somewhat miss the LKAS from my old ioniq. Having to turn around to the kids once or twice I was certainly more conscious that the ioniq would of stayed in lane for me more so than the ID4 did.

Noticed that that rubbing your thumb left to right in the right side "buttons" on the steering wheel increases volume, right to left decreases volume. Bottom to top goes up a station, top to bottom goes down a station/song. Handy, saves looking at the wheel.

Similar for the cruise control, but it jumps in 10s, rather than single KMPH like I'd like.

Speaking of ACC, Christ it's frustrating at times when it decides the speed limit is the overpass speed limit. Random "oh it's 60kmph" on a dual carriageway is quite annoying. Though I found it very good at slowing for upcoming speed limit reductions and reducing speed for tighter corners. Clever ACC also wouldn't undertake cars. It spots the car in the right hand lane and reduces my speed so I don't undertake them.

Auto heated seats and auto heated steering wheel when cold were lovely too. Even auto seat heaters heated the passenger seat when it was occupied at start up.

I did somewhat miss the LKAS from my old ioniq. Having to turn around to the kids once or twice I was certainly more conscious that the ioniq would of stayed in lane for me more so than the ID4 did.

I think if you press the buttons on the left of the steering wheel to increase or decrease speeds in units of one. Slide your thumb to increase or decrease in units of ten.

Heated steering wheel in a Non max 1st? How do you turn it on?

• Advertisement

I think if you press the buttons on the left of the steering wheel to increase or decrease speeds in units of one. Slide your thumb to increase or decrease in units of ten.

Press lightly for up 1, Press harder for up in 10s. Or slide

Advertisement