Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

Yeah, the 1st as far as I can see was by far the best value. Other series models all cost more, but included less. The entry spec for the 77kWh seems a bit rich imo.

Speaking of road surfaces. On my trip to youghal that road into youghal is like a washboard! It's almost comical. I've found it fairly ok around town though.

The 3-400km displayed is quite nice. Even nicer was on our trip the other day I probably would of been getting a bit conscious of range as we drove around while the kids slept had I been in the ioniq, but the id4 had 150km or so remaining when we pulled in. Not caring about range was nice.

Yeah the range seems fine for such a big car just a shame the 1st didn't include travel assist and truth be told it wouldn't cost that much anyway because the id.3 can have it in the tour for 43 K so the id.4 can't cost that much extra to make.

Definitely it was a bit too fidgety on broken town surfaces, ( in my opinion ) on the back roads at some speed it was too firm, it was fun though just wouldn't like it that firm all the time, this is where DCC probably really excels, comfort mode when wanting a nice relaxing drive and sport when you want some fun, I think VW could/Should have got the balance between ride comfort and sportiness a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Is there anything stopping VW opening some of these features in the future to owners? The two I'd be most interested in are keyless entry and wireless phone charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

Is there anything stopping VW opening some of these features in the future to owners? The two I'd be most interested in are keyless entry and wireless phone charging.

There will probably be a subscription charge. How else will they make money if servicing is every 2 years.

Summer8181 wrote: »
    There will probably be a subscription charge. How else will they make money if servicing is every 2 years.

Yes I mean for money of course. I'd prefer a one off charge than a sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

• Advertisement

Interesting, I do like that green lol.

I have no idea what my next car is going to be, sadly my mileage is the greatest limitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There are hardware differences in some cases, the wireless phone pad being one example. I doubt VW will let you upgrade these

I think the features that VW will offer after purchase would be the extra power from the motor and things like remote support and services. Possibly faster charging speeds would be unlockable as well

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

There are hardware differences in some cases, the wireless phone pad being one example. I doubt VW will let you upgrade these

I think the features that VW will offer after purchase would be the extra power from the motor and things like remote support and services. Possibly faster charging speeds would be unlockable as well

You have the random lines being inserted in posts issue too. You using Firefox? Someone on feedback told me how to fix it - see here: -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116954526

You have the random lines being inserted in posts issue too. You using Firefox? Someone on feedback told me how to fix it - see here: -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116954526

Yep, firefox, those extra lines were bugging me. Only way to get rid of them was to go back and edit my post :(

Thanks for the fix, works a treat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

Slight curveball with this one.

I was digging around trying to find out more information on ICAS1 (In Car Application Server) given the problems some ID.3s are having with the upgrade to 2.1. The ID.4 uses the same HPC (high performance computer) as the ID.3, both provided by Continental.

I found this site which has a very detailed 45min presentation on HPC by Continental, lots of detail I knew nothing about
    https://iot-automotive.news/start-of-the-electric-era-new-vw-id-3-e-model-equipped-with-continental-technologies/

Will OTA updates be country or continent specific when they are released? Plug and Charge sounds great but doesn't exist here yet for VW owners.

"..allows for new software functions and safety updates to be installed over a wireless connection at any time in the future. Over-the-Air updates will become the norm. In addition, the innovative server concept can integrate both Volkswagen applications and third-party software. The provision of functions such as range-optimized route planning and the localization of charging stations for electric cars is simplified. Moreover, Continental has also developed the so-called “Plug and Charge” function for its ICAS1, which is used to control and simplify the vehicle charging process. The function will be available from 2021. When the charging cable is plugged in, the software in ICAS1 will be able to authenticate the registered vehicle at supported charging points and take over the charging process and its billing based on the charging contract stored in the back end."

This page talks about the future computing power expectations
    https://www.wardsauto.com/vehicles/continental-engineers-gear-write-more-lines-code-lots-more
    "more than 20 vehicle models will use ICAS1 in future."

• Advertisement

cannco253 wrote: »

I was digging around trying to find out more information on ICAS1 (In Car Application Server) given the problems some ID.3s are having with the upgrade to 2.1. The ID.4 uses the same HPC (high performance computer) as the ID.3, both provided by Continental.

I found this site which has a very detailed 45min presentation on HPC by Continental, lots of detail I knew nothing about
    https://iot-automotive.news/start-of-the-electric-era-new-vw-id-3-e-model-equipped-with-continental-technologies/

Will OTA updates be country or continent specific when they are released? Plug and Charge sounds great but doesn't exist here yet for VW owners.

"..allows for new software functions and safety updates to be installed over a wireless connection at any time in the future. Over-the-Air updates will become the norm. In addition, the innovative server concept can integrate both Volkswagen applications and third-party software. The provision of functions such as range-optimized route planning and the localization of charging stations for electric cars is simplified. Moreover, Continental has also developed the so-called “Plug and Charge” function for its ICAS1, which is used to control and simplify the vehicle charging process. The function will be available from 2021. When the charging cable is plugged in, the software in ICAS1 will be able to authenticate the registered vehicle at supported charging points and take over the charging process and its billing based on the charging contract stored in the back end."

https://www.wardsauto.com/vehicles/continental-engineers-gear-write-more-lines-code-lots-more

I didn't watch the video but here's what I've understood from the article

Traditionally, software in cars was very closely linked to the hardware it's running on. Every electronic component will have some built in software that comes with it (like the BIOS on a computer) and will communicate with other components via some communication pathway, like a CAN bus

Because the software is very hardware specific, writing a new application is difficult because you have to design it around that particular hardware. What this ICAS1 module seems to do is to provide a communication link between these hardware components and external connections

This basically means you can write applications that will run on the ICAS without needing to tailor them to the underlying hardware. The ICAS will handle this for you

It's very similar to what you OS does on a computer. If a computer runs Windows, and your program runs on Windows, then your program will run on that computer

There also seems to be an element of connectivity built in which is how they're able to do the OTA updates to every component as well as providing the digital services

Before the ID.3 launch, there were reports of issues with connection drops between components. This is probably between the ICAS modules and the various hardware in the car. You can see this with some of the random errors that were popping up on the early ID.3s.

The hardware was probably fine, it's just that the UI layer was losing connection to that hardware and thought there was something wrong with it as a result. When the connection was restored, the error went away

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

cannco253 wrote: »

At last year's ievoa AGM they had Chris from easygo on, he was saying they're working on plug and charge, and VW are one of the first who they'll support. Something to that affect. Be great to see it.

Anyone put a toll tag in yet? Are you supposed to put it ion the right side of the mirror? There seems to be a rectangle there that looks different than the rest of the black area around the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭eagerv

Anyone put a toll tag in yet? Are you supposed to put it ion the right side of the mirror? There seems to be a rectangle there that looks different than the rest of the black area around the mirror.

I don't know how the ID.3 differs to the ID.4 but on tolltag instructions they said not to put on the darkened area, pic shows where I put mine, to right of mirror. Works great..

cMpCuHB.jpg

eagerv wrote: »
    I don't know how the ID.3 differs to the ID.4 but on tolltag instructions they said not to put on the darkened area, pic shows where I put mine, to right of mirror. Works great..

cMpCuHB.jpg

Wait... why is your screen the mirror of mine. Yours looks like it's setup for a LHD car, with the home button, heated seats icons etc all on the left hand side. At least that was my interpretation of why mine was different than the ones i've seen in videos.

I'm doubting myself now, but i'm almost certain mine has all the temperature, phone signal, time, home button etc on the right.

I wonder if that bit to the right is for a dash cam, so it isn't obscured

Toll tag needs to be somewhere in the darkened area, there's a reflective layer on the rest of the windscreen which could block the tag from communicating with the reader

Wait... why is your screen the mirror of mine. Yours looks like it's setup for a LHD car, with the home button, heated seats icons etc all on the left hand side. At least that was my interpretation of why mine was different than the ones i've seen in videos.

I'm doubting myself now, but i'm almost certain mine has all the temperature, phone signal, time, home button etc on the right.

Before the 2.0 update...lol

I wonder if that bit to the right is for a dash cam, so it isn't obscured

Toll tag needs to be somewhere in the darkened area, there's a reflective layer on the rest of the windscreen which could block the tag from communicating with the reader

Makes sense, fwiw I moved mine from the darkened area where it also worked fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ConorF

Yes, mine is the reverse of that in the photo as well.

ConorF wrote: »
    Yes, mine is the reverse of that in the photo as well.

Pic was taken last Oct. VW reversed the icons after an update with the ID.3

• Advertisement

Makes sense, fwiw I moved mine from the darkened area where it also worked fine..

Yeah it sounds a bit like when people thought turning your phone on during a flight would cause the plane to crash. In theory it was plausible, but extremely unlikely

I'm not sure how those toll tags work but I'm guessing it's via some sort of radio signal to the reader. I think the reflective layer in the windscreen is metallic, which I guess if it was grounded to act as a signal blocker :confused:

Again, it seems pretty unlikely, I guess automakers just left it out of that area so they wouldn't have to disprove any issues down the line

On that note, I wonder if there are any heating elements in that area for the windscreen defroster. Those would presumably also be able to distort a radio signal. I think one of the cameras for the front/travel assist is in that area so I wonder would it cause your travel assist to stop working in icy weather

I guess I'll find out next winter so, fingers crossed I'll have my 1st Max by then :rolleyes:

Pic was taken last Oct. VW reversed the icons after an update with the ID.3

Ah. ID.3. Missed that.

So the consensus is the black area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Yeah it's a decent drive except the ride is too harsh for family trips, this is where DCC would really help, could soften it up in comfort mode.

It's fine when you want to rally the back roads the odd time but it's too firm on broken surfaces in town. I was surprised for such a heavy car. The 20 inch wheels don't help.

Travel assist option on lower trims would be great but I wouldn't spend 55 K to get it, the interior is too gammy for that kind of money.

Which version of the ID4 has DCC? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Same here, I've mine in that darkened area to the left of the mirror but I shoved it up as high as I could on the windscreen so I cant even see it when I'm driving as the headlining blocks it from view on the drivers side. Been through several tolls now, no issues...... ID.3 as well so not sure how it looks/fits on an ID.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Quick question:
    I see there is a way to track order status on the vw site by the commission number or VIN as others have posted earlier in the thread. Is the commission number for my order/car something the dealer should have if I ordered at the start of March? I've asked him for it or the VIN a few times but he's come back saying there is no VIN or update on the status yet. I think he not understanding my request for the commission number too

dave oc wrote: »
    Quick question:
    I see there is a way to track order status on the vw site by the commission number or VIN as others have posted earlier in the thread. Is the commission number for my order/car something the dealer should have if I ordered at the start of March? I've asked him for it or the VIN a few times but he's come back saying there is no VIN or update on the status yet. I think he not understanding my request for the commission number too

Sort of :)

So if you can get the commission number of the order, you can create an account on volkswagen.ie (assuming you don't have one) and then login to myVolkswagen

You can add you commission number there and it'll show your vehicle

When you look at the details, you'll be able to see an entry for a VIN

Your car is given a VIN when it reaches a certain stage of producation, I think it's when the chassis is assembled. If you don't have a VIN, then it means your car is still early in production

As far as I know, your dealer can see a more detailed view where it'll show the exact production stage

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Sort of :)

So if you can get the commission number of the order, you can create an account on volkswagen.ie (assuming you don't have one) and then login to myVolkswagen

You can add you commission number there and it'll show your vehicle

When you look at the details, you'll be able to see an entry for a VIN

Your car is given a VIN when it reaches a certain stage of producation, I think it's when the chassis is assembled. If you don't have a VIN, then it means your car is still early in production

As far as I know, your dealer can see a more detailed view where it'll show the exact production stage

Thanks, yeah it would be nice to at least try this and see what comes up. So the commission number is something he should have easily available?

I'm sure he can get a more detailed view on the status, but if I could check via this portal then I have another thing to frequently check while I wait impatiently for the car :)

dave oc wrote: »
    Thanks, yeah it would be nice to at least try this and see what comes up. So the commission number is something he should have easily available?

I'm sure he can get a more detailed view on the status, but if I could check via this portal then I have another thing to frequently check while I wait impatiently for the car :)

Yes he should be able to give you the commission number

The MyVW UK site allows order tracking, but requires an 8-digit order number, commission number is 6-digits

I tried padding my commission number with 0's but no luck, can't see my order status :(

So I'm in the same boat, obsessively checking myVolkswagen to see if a VIN has appeared

• Advertisement

I was trawling through the specs for the ID.4 and noticed that the internal DC-DC converter is rated at 3kW

That seems like a fair bit of power, you could probably hang a 2kW inverter off the 12V system without any issues, if anyone wanted to use their EV as a portable power source

Advertisement