Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Does anyone who ordered a 1st Max have a VIN in their my Volkswagen page?

I still have none which I think means the car is pretty early in the production line

I'm becoming less hopeful the car will arrive in April. Might as well be a 212 reg at this rate

Yes, I had a vin show up about 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

colm_c wrote: »
    Yes, I had a vin show up about 3 weeks ago.

Have you got a delivery date or is it still in the factory?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Have you got a delivery date or is it still in the factory?

No delivery date yet.

Will be chasing the dealer this week, I would hope before end of the month!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

vectra wrote: »
    Ordered blue today, now for the long wait until August.

Cancelled the order last Friday.
    After reading stories of messy charging,
    Lack of distance in the winter, Rattles in the rear, Breaking down minutes after leaving dealers,etc.
    I decided another Ateca would be better for me this time round. :o

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Lack of distance in the winter, Rattles in the rear, Breaking down minutes after leaving dealers,etc.

To be fair, less range in winter isnt id4 specific. All electric cars suffer from it.
    The charging is a mess, but fingers crossed for some software updates to fix it.
    The other stuff, rare I'm sure, hopefully VW are working with the owners, not against them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭hold my beer

You've made a terrible decision :pac:

colm_c wrote: »
    No delivery date yet.

Will be chasing the dealer this week, I would hope before end of the month!

I think I'll be getting mine in May at the earliest from the sounds of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

Oops... You made a mistake. It's an amazing car. 500km on warm sunny days. I except 280-300km in Winter. Charging is fine. Couple of minor bugs. I'm sure they will be sorted soon by OTA.

Well it's up to you, but I think the ID.4 is a winner.

I wouldn't worry too much about rattles, when you switch to an EV you don't have an engine to hide all the other car noises so you tend to notice other things. I heard some banging from the back of my leaf which turned out to be the buggy moving in the boot going around bends

I've only heard of 3 ID cars breaking down. I think 2 ID.3s have had issues, one of which was caused by the dealership breaking the infotainment

And there was 1 ID.4 had a motor fault, I think it was on the IEVOA Facebook and of course caused all the talking heads to declare that every single VW EV was an accident waiting to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Summer8181 wrote: »
    Oops... You made a mistake. It's an amazing car. 500km on warm sunny days. I except 280-300km in Winter. Charging is fine. Couple of minor bugs. I'm sure they will be sorted soon by OTA.

What real range would be expected from the ID4 with the smaller battery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

forumdedum wrote: »

Smaller battery is lighter but I'd expect 300-350km. If you are doing more than 2 x 300+ km trips per month, go for the bigger battery. Peace of mind

Depends on how you drive but 200km motorway driving is probably a good estimate

Putting it another way, Dublin to Cork and back (560km) would need 3 fast charges, or 2 fast charges if you destination charge

So it's doable but you'd definitely be keeping the long journeys to leisure trips and not commuting IMO

Summer8181 wrote: »
    Smaller battery is lighter but I'd expect 300-350km. If you are doing more than 2 x 300+ km trips per month, go for the bigger battery. Peace of mind

I would make range the priority. Not a €5,000 extra for a reverse camera priority though :-)

Depends on how you drive but 200km motorway driving is probably a good estimate

Putting it another way, Dublin to Cork and back (560km) would need 3 fast charges, or 2 fast charges if you destination charge

So it's doable but you'd definitely be keeping the long journeys to leisure trips and not commuting IMO

200km motorway perhaps a bit tight. What if in heavy traffic delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

In heavy traffic you will use less electricity, in fact well suited to crawling along, speed is what drains the battery.

Given that, 200 km range is terrible, 2 or 3 fast charges is not fast by any means, 20 to 30 minutes each? more?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Another uphill I faced was I live in a terraced house, and as a result, the more I thought about it, the more it looked like an accident waiting to happen and a big claim against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Another uphill I faced was I live in a terraced house, and as a result, the more I thought about it, the more it looked like an accident waiting to happen and a big claim against me.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Why?

Because if you are plugged in to charge someone could trip over the cable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

forestgirl wrote: »
    Because if you are plugged in to charge someone could trip over the cable ?

You're not allowed run a cable across a public footpath so it shouldn't even be an option.

You either have a driveway and charge there or request permission from the council to install a pillar on the kerbside and run the cable under the footpath.

If the estate is ran by a management company you'd have to contact them for permission.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    In heavy traffic you will use less electricity, in fact well suited to crawling along, speed is what drains the battery.

Given that, 200 km range is terrible, 2 or 3 fast charges is not fast by any means, 20 to 30 minutes each? more?

I think smaller battery is about 100 miles less, quite a drop

• Advertisement

There's a reason it's called the City version :p

Truth be told, 200km is plenty for most people, especially in lockdown times. You can do long journeys, but it does involve a few stops so as long as you're willing to take a leisurely pace and aren't in a hurry you can enjoy the journey

That's if there is no queue at chargers, could be 1 car charging and 2 waiting that has the potential to add nearly 3 hrs extra while you sit there.

So my advise is to always get the max range you can afford because while a smaller battery might meet your needs waiting at chargers can be very very frustrating especially if you have Children or Wife/Husband/Partner is not so tolerant of the whole EV thing.

2 Car households shouldn't be much of a problem unless you're thinking of getting rid of that at some point in the near future and want to get EV to replace it + I would imagine the larger battery car will hold more value.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

For a bit of context on this, I am doing weekly commute of 220km with other bits of appx 50km per day in the 1st with the bigger battery.

Filled the battery to 100% last night. Showed 390km on starting
    220km later, motorway the whole time, @ 120kph.
    Down to 17% or 118km at destination.
    So realistic distance at motorway speed about 250km.

For a bit of context on this, I am doing weekly commute of 220km with other bits of appx 50km per day in the 1st with the bigger battery.

That's not terribly bad if there are high power chargers that can allow the id.4 to charge at max speed. 30 mins should easily replace another 200 Kms at motorway speeds, maybe slightly more.

I think back to my 2015 Leaf that could do maybe 80 Kms from new at those speeds and charge 40 mins to 80% or 50 mins if the battery was cold lol. Charge speed on the 24 Kwh was awfully slow. Having said that it's very slow on the i3 when cold too but when warm it's pretty fast for the year of car. Then I have the Rex so if charging speed is slow I just don't bother.

I really wouldn't get the smaller battery in the id.4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Pretty perfect driving conditions at the minute though.

Factor in cold, rain, and a driving head wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

There's a reason it's called the City version :p

Truth be told, 200km is plenty for most people, especially in lockdown times. You can do long journeys, but it does involve a few stops so as long as you're willing to take a leisurely pace and aren't in a hurry you can enjoy the journey

Our e-Golf has about 210 km range when charged to 100% (about 170 in the colder winter times); we've had it for 2 years and never needed to charge anywhere other than at home. It all depends on your own use case - we don't do many long journeys and the car is mostly for school run, shopping etc. Get the largest battery that you can afford, of course, but the smaller range does work for many people.

That's if there is no queue at chargers, could be 1 car charging and 2 waiting that has the potential to add nearly 3 hrs extra while you sit there.

So my advise is to always get the max range you can afford because while a smaller battery might meet your needs waiting at chargers can be very very frustrating especially if you have Children or Wife/Husband/Partner is not so tolerant of the whole EV thing.

2 Car households shouldn't be much of a problem unless you're thinking of getting rid of that at some point in the near future and want to get EV to replace it + I would imagine the larger battery car will hold more value.

I would not like to be queuing too much. Agree bigger battery better value in a few years. I like the idea of only charging at home. A trip from Louth to say Sprucefield would be over 200km. That sounds like a lot used up and if weather was windy etc . . .

I would not like to be queuing too much. Agree bigger battery better value in a few years. I like the idea of only charging at home. A trip from Louth to say Sprucefield would be over 200km. That sounds like a lot used up and if weather was windy etc . . .

Well you can get around the queues by using hubs like Ionity where there are multiple chargers

Granted there aren't any along that route, however there's 2 fast chargers at Castlebellingham and another in Dundalk, so you've multiple options if one is taken

There's also a fast charger outside Banbridge but the NI network is poorly maintained and widely abused since it's still free to charge

You'd only need about 10 mins on a charger anyway so even if you have to wait 20 mins it isn't a huge impact, and you can plug into the AC and get 11kW while you wait (and piss off the other person using the charger)

My advice would be to get the bigger battery if you can stretch the budget, but if like most people 90% of your driving is local, and for longer trips you're okay with taking things at a leisurely pace then the smaller battery should work out fine

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The value of a bigger battery reduces as the network expands, as soon as eCars introduced pricing for chargers it became much easier to go anywhere without queuing, we're only a short period away from the rollout of eCars hubs, at which point it becomes pointless spending an extra 5k to save a charge once a year.

Now, if your usage means you'll need to rapid charge mid journey on a weekly basis then of course it makes sense to buy a suitably large battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

liamog wrote: »
    we're only a short period away from the rollout of eCars hubs, at which point it becomes pointless spending an extra 5k to save a charge once a year.

IIRC, there isn't a single location with more that one eCars DC unit, in the whole of the southwest - Clare/Limerick/Tipperary/Kerry/Cork/Waterford.

They are really, really big counties :eek:.

There isn't a single 150kW DC charger from eCars here either.
    I'm not aware of any plans for one of these "hubs" nearby anytime soon, either.

Save for Cashel (Ionity) & Tesla (Birdhill), it is actually devoid of any proper infrastructure - the odd 50kW DC unit here & there.

Athlone, great. N7/M7 - looking good. M1 - pretty good.

Draw a line from Galway to Dublin though & south of that is pretty dire, with nothing much to look forward to in the future.

I do admire your unflappable eCars optimism though - they really are the only show in town going forward & all our collective eggs are in their (taxpayer funded) basket :pac:.

Advertisement